Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

That sweet little soul; my heart is breaking for her and you. Being on her human must be such a comfort to her.

:sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
:(

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

mediaphage posted:

i’m nervous every morning i go in to get them going and feed them

It's been around ten years now, and I still remember exactly how this feels. It was already breaking my heart knowing you'd probably have to deal with that soon. I'm so sorry. You're not a downer, this is what bird buds are for.

Grace has always been my thread favorite (sorry friends, please don't tell the other borbs), and I feel lucky to have gotten to know her and Alex at least a little through your posting. I'm here with you for the rest of the trip, no matter how it goes, and I know I'm not the only one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
hi all i know you're wanting a grace update.

well. today was the exciting and exhausting vet visit. he's pretty perplexed. on the good news side, she's showing no blockages or growths of any kind. here's my chicken on an xray

took a cbc and sent it off, he's going to call me with the results tomorrow. he suspects severe anemia, enough that her blood was visibly the wrong texture. :(

hopefully she's got an infection that isn't obvious. if her wbc count is up on the blood panel then that's the likely solution. in the meantime he sent me home with some oral antibiotics and she does not like them. i think i'm going to try to mix it into a little egg in the morning and see if it's not too gross for her to eat. this is what i do with her nsaid (of course alex took nsaids straight from the syringe because he thought it tasted good).

if it isn't an infection...well...it's probably not good since the only obvious choices are probably something like leukemia or a bone marrow disease. i guess we'll find out tomorrow

on the good side both her wings seem strong and healthy so the question is is her current problems also why she had a lack of wing strength in her right wing last visit, or did it perhaps cause her to injure her wing due to a bad landing, etc

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yep, pretty sure that's a bird you've got there.

In all seriousness I hope it turns out to be an infection or something else relatively easily treatable

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Opened the app, looked at this thread and saw 2 new posts, which was a relief - a big flurry had to mean either very good, or very bad news :)

So, they've eliminated some very bad things as possible causes, which is great!
Here's hoping as hard as possible that they can finally diagnose what the root problem is, and get Grace back to her happy little self again <3

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Tux has discovered that he can bounce and wants everyone to know all about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ahah he’s so cheerful

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

My father saw that over my shoulder and said, "That little bird looks like it's wearing vest."

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Log posted:

My father saw that over my shoulder and said, "That little bird looks like it's wearing vest."

Cheers, we chose his name wisely :)

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

mediaphage posted:

hi all i know you're wanting a grace update.

well. today was the exciting and exhausting vet visit. he's pretty perplexed. on the good news side, she's showing no blockages or growths of any kind. here's my chicken on an xray

took a cbc and sent it off, he's going to call me with the results tomorrow. he suspects severe anemia, enough that her blood was visibly the wrong texture. :(

hopefully she's got an infection that isn't obvious. if her wbc count is up on the blood panel then that's the likely solution. in the meantime he sent me home with some oral antibiotics and she does not like them. i think i'm going to try to mix it into a little egg in the morning and see if it's not too gross for her to eat. this is what i do with her nsaid (of course alex took nsaids straight from the syringe because he thought it tasted good).

if it isn't an infection...well...it's probably not good since the only obvious choices are probably something like leukemia or a bone marrow disease. i guess we'll find out tomorrow

on the good side both her wings seem strong and healthy so the question is is her current problems also why she had a lack of wing strength in her right wing last visit, or did it perhaps cause her to injure her wing due to a bad landing, etc

Your little bird is in my thoughts, I've been hoping for a speedy recovery (or at least a turn for the better) since you first posted she wasn't looking so good. I can only imagine how hard it must be to watch her deteriorate for seemingly no reason at all. I'm dreading the day one of my little guys gets sick.

Stay positive and give her lots of love.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm hoping for the absolute best with Grace. <3

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Prayers and good vibes for Grace.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I'm glad there's a good doc on the case. I'm interested in keeping birds someday and it's scary trying to find a vet that isn't a fool.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I went to the butcher today to pick something up, and there was a magpie having a field day in the docking bay whenever the guy went inside to get stuff. What a lucky bird.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so. good news for the short term; long term prognosis currently unclear. our vet prescribed some enrofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic. he did this before we got the blood test back as we’d all hoped that perhaps infection was causing the potential anemia (versus, say, bone marrow issues).

she’s still tired:

we started her on the antibiotic wednesday night / thursday morning. our vet called on friday with the results of the blood test: definite, pronounced anemia. unfortunately, her white blood cell count was within normal parameters, which would be worrisome, except:

the antibiotic has had a pronounced, immediate effect in just two days. no more slumping to the bottom of the cage, no more keeping her eyes half closed all of the time, no more sluggish behaviour. she’s completely alert and looking around, interested in shredding things, back to tearing apart strawberries, etc.

none of us, the vet included (especially after the blood panel came back) really expected this; he called me from home as he was leaving on vacation. he said that of the white blood cell constituent portion, her lymphocytes did seem to be a little elevated. this pattern can sometimes be found in the case of chronic infections, so grace has probably been fighting this for a while.

it’s still undetermined whether her infection is to blame for the anemia, or whether there’s another condition that is causing anemia and also making her more susceptible to random infections - but i’m not going to borrow trouble and worry too much about it in the moment. the vet was really happy to hear how well she was doing and we’re keeping up the next two weeks of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, each twice a day.

we’re all just so surprised and grateful, haha.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

May I ask how you administer the enrofloxacin? Is it through her water or do you dose it directly into her mouth?

So glad to hear the good news! I hope she keeps getting better and better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

May I ask how you administer the enrofloxacin? Is it through her water or do you dose it directly into her mouth?

So glad to hear the good news! I hope she keeps getting better and better.

ideally you’d hold her and squirt it but by bit into their beak. but.

she flat out refused to take it straight so i put it (0.04mL) and the anti-inflammatory (0.06mL) on her morning and evening egg treat in a tiny bowl set at an angle so it doesn’t run off. then i leave it to soak in for ten-fifteen minutes, then she gobbles it up.

i put it on a pretty small amount of egg to make sure she eats it all, then i add some egg mixed with thrive (powder with protein, electrolytes, and vitamins) for her second helping.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

she flat out refused to take it straight so i put it (0.04mL) and the anti-inflammatory (0.06mL) on her morning and evening egg treat in a tiny bowl set at an angle so it doesn’t run off. then i leave it to soak in for ten-fifteen minutes, then she gobbles it up.

i put it on a pretty small amount of egg to make sure she eats it all, then i add some egg mixed with thrive (powder with protein, electrolytes, and vitamins) for her second helping.

Smart and efficient, I'm so happy you've figured out a foolproof way of giving her her meds. Getting meds into birds is nigh impossible most of the time.

With regards to her symptoms, was she sitting with a 'humped' back? ie would she sit in a way that had the base of her tail hump oddly, as opposed to her normal sitting?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

What wonderful Grace news!
I was getting a bit worried that something awful must have come back with her bloods, but this is about as good as could be hoped for, barring an "Aha, its X - an easily cured ailment!" moment. Sounds like the antibiotics are hammering whatever has her so worn down, so hopefully they'll clear her system to the point where she can fight the core issue, if there even is one :)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

mediaphage posted:

By the Grace of Egg

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Smart and efficient, I'm so happy you've figured out a foolproof way of giving her her meds. Getting meds into birds is nigh impossible most of the time.

With regards to her symptoms, was she sitting with a 'humped' back? ie would she sit in a way that had the base of her tail hump oddly, as opposed to her normal sitting?

yeah. this along with other symptoms had both us and the doc (despite not feeling anything) worried about some sort of impingement, whether from eggbinding, tumour, or other growth.

that said, it was only noticeable for being really extra- these guys will sit like little pinecone vultures even when healthy.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mediaphage posted:

we’re all just so surprised and grateful, haha.

Oh thank gently caress, I'm so glad even if we don't have a complete idea of what's happening, she's feeling a little better. That's gotta help so much.

Good work, Grace. Keep recovering as best you can.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I'm so glad that birdie is feeling better. :woop:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
:kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Anyone playing the new Zelda? I have yet to harm a single bird in it. I can't even bring myself to scare them. I found myself giving a massive berth to a group of wood pigeons that don't exist.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I cannot tell y'all just how happy this news has made my household. She looks like such a happy little paper towel botherer. :kimchi:

Doofus is happy as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Anyone playing the new Zelda? I have yet to harm a single bird in it. I can't even bring myself to scare them. I found myself giving a massive berth to a group of wood pigeons that don't exist.

I was like that in BotW, but then I got the giant horse who brakes for no one...

Fun thing, there are way more kinds of sparrows than is reasonable.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Kissy birds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So... how's Grace?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A New Chonk-Challenger Appears!!!

The local parrot shop where Serra came from always takes in problem parrots, or rescues. This particular cockatiel has no tail, and cannot fly.

However, he or she looks like they could be Serra's size. Which is an unbelievable achievement, even through sheer fatness.

They were very friendly, and spent most of their time face planted into their food dish while giving me the eye.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Yeeesssss chonkatiel!! What's their name gonna be?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

So... how's Grace?

she’s doing astonishingly well. we can’t get over what a turnaround she’s had, from being close to dying to…this morning:

she’s able to one-foot again! bright, wide-open eyes. even the vet is surprised; he was worried when the blood tests came back and didn’t show definitive signs of infection outside of the anemia. fingers crossed still that the infection caused the anemia and not the other way around.

she’s started to try to fly again. every morning alex performs a recon flight that we call going for a whoop (it is invariably preceded by “wh-wh-whoop-whoop-WHOOP-WHOOP-WHOOP” on launch) out of the office, through the dining room, loop around the living room, and back. previously she would follow along and do about 3/4 of the circuit with him. that all slowed and eventually stopped as she got sick.

now she’s pepped up and wanting to go again but this week she flew out of the office and straight into the trash can.

so you know, one day at a time.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That makes me so happy to hear

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

mediaphage posted:

now she’s pepped up and wanting to go again but this week she flew out of the office and straight into the trash can.

:shobon:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Good job lil Grace!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Awwww, I'm beyond thrilled about the good news!!!

:kimchi:

bee posted:

Yeeesssss chonkatiel!! What's their name gonna be?

Judging by the general doofyness of that parrot, I'm guess it's going to get a funny name.

My friend at the shop said the bird just plummets when trying to fly. So I don't think it's for sale yet.

No, I'm not getting them. My house is full right now.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mediaphage posted:

she’s doing astonishingly well. we can’t get over what a turnaround she’s had, from being close to dying to…this morning:

she’s able to one-foot again! bright, wide-open eyes. even the vet is surprised; he was worried when the blood tests came back and didn’t show definitive signs of infection outside of the anemia. fingers crossed still that the infection caused the anemia and not the other way around.

she’s started to try to fly again. every morning alex performs a recon flight that we call going for a whoop (it is invariably preceded by “wh-wh-whoop-whoop-WHOOP-WHOOP-WHOOP” on launch) out of the office, through the dining room, loop around the living room, and back. previously she would follow along and do about 3/4 of the circuit with him. that all slowed and eventually stopped as she got sick.

Silly Grace, you're no bin chicken!

Seriously though, it really is wonderful to hear she is doing so well - keep on healing lil green lady!

also, I'm sure everyone here has their own preferred bird distraction/entertainment material, but I've found this channel a godsend for Pookie - it's live, it's a lovely mix of different birds, and there is an as yet, unidentified large parrot who says "Hehwoo" is the cutest way possible :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPgMlO7papE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

So happy to see those bright little eyes :kimchi: