Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Some of the animators on Twitter are starting to talk about how they did this poo poo
https://twitter.com/cgratzlaff/status/1665548014600036362?t=iHXPNJDKCl8y7VLjRZs2lA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Movie was great. Looking forward to next one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DoctorWhat posted:

Miguel also inherits Prowler's musical sting motif.

Similar (surely intentional so) but not the same.
Prowler's themehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhlZ-cPO0Xw
is just a straight 'roar' used as backing.

Miguel's theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV6mlyyfD9k
Is much more brassy and musical in its own right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The thread superstar a few pages back being negative was the same kind of bloke who cheered the gimmick-posters that wpuld say poo poo like oh. a child of color was excited to see this film? what bullshittery. also racism. so it's no surprise they're back to sully the mood instead of actually noting what they felt didn't work.

Something worth noting:

When Mumbattan goes loco at the end, its entirely with the visual language of The Spot-- inky hole, vague tentacle-wisps as it grows. Miles points this out later when Miguel tries to frame it as a Canonicity breakdown.

but when Miguel recalls the apocalyptic Canon Event that causes his adopted reality to disappear, it's with a more prismatic effect -- not *quite* like the multiversal glitching but similar.

it's very telling that only Miguel and Peter B. remained along with the non-living cityscape. Could be because of the time gauntlet, though I'm wondering if those folks were "reset" to a not-hosed tineline instead.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Rewatched the first one yesterday in anticipation of seeing the latest one today, still perfect.

This one is next level.

One thought I was having coming out: The Canon event that Miles got blamed for interrupting in Mumbatten (perfect sequence start to finish btw) wouldn't have even happened if not for Spot being there.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just saw this, and the first fight scene is probably one of my favorite bits of animation i've seen in a while. i wish i had been able to wind it back in the theater

great film all around, but the animation and particularly the direction was a treat. so spectacularly dynamic and ambitious and yet largely visually comprehensible

i think i had more laugh out loud moments in the first movie, but to my relief this is a great follow up

also realizing i've hit that point in my life where i identify more with a well written parental character then the struggling teen

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

YggiDee posted:

Some of the animators on Twitter are starting to talk about how they did this poo poo
https://twitter.com/cgratzlaff/status/1665548014600036362?t=iHXPNJDKCl8y7VLjRZs2lA&s=19

I really hope they were well paid and not overworked for this because god, what an achievement. It’s the best looking animated movie since the last Spiderverse and it’s not even a competition.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/willemdatoes/status/1665467235404578817?t=c1L2kSPDmwDZbMJ-jvtYiw&s=19

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I generally try to watch only first trailers whenever possible and as mentioned only saw the first of the real trailers for this one, but I was still aware through general nerd-site osmosis that we'd be seeing Spider-Punk and some others. Goddamn I hadn't seen a single frame of what Hobie looked like in the film until he showed up and I lost my poo poo all over again. I'm so glad we're getting Beyond in less than a year, but no matter what they held back for that one the greatest tragedy of the second and third films is going to be that we're not going to see the sheer leap in detail and experimentation between them that we got between the first and second.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Did the post animation end credits weird anyone else out

like it was just title cards with names. Not even scrolling. Felt like after you finish a netflix and it tells you all the languages

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I’m betting that there’s going to be a twist with Miguel where he finds out that he got the cause wrong: Spot eventually grows so powerful that he starts rewriting history on a multiversal scale, and Miguel’s own present efforts to stop Miles are what ultimately causes the tragedy in his past to happen

I wouldn't be surprised or upset if this happened, but ... disappointed? Kinda like getting rewarded in a game for doing the right thing to the point where it's easier. It's hard to do the right thing, to try and save everyone. The other Spideys have minimized their grief as an inevitability, just another step along the path to a greater good, and have progressed past not helping everyone (by the way, Gwen's acceptance of this was at least as cold as her dad trying to arrest her at the start) to actively getting in the way. They aren't heroes, and that is the real conflict Miles needs to resolve.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thing I really liked in this movie was the music production. I think Daniel Pembertons score was even stronger than the originals, mixing a lot of different sounds and character motifs together, often in the same song.

Despite the first movie having a more energetic and eclectic licensed soundtrack too, I think Metro Boomins moodier, more cohesively produced sound is real good too and I really want to get the whole album of it on vinyl.

Especially like the use of Link Up, one of my favorite scenes in the movie.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Alan Smithee posted:

Did the post animation end credits weird anyone else out

like it was just title cards with names. Not even scrolling. Felt like after you finish a netflix and it tells you all the languages

It has a real Bond vibe, carrying on from the ‘Miles Morales will return’ all the way through.

also might be reaching slightly, but a more oblique reference in the way that Miles’ escape from wookiepediaesque canonicity is similar to that of each Bond being at once ‘the James Bond’ and a successor

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

mystes posted:

I mean how is that a problem for the movie though? miles and crew were just trying to save whoever they could and the fact that miguel was more concerned about miles saving someone he shouldn't rather than potentially failing to save tons of people is specifically showing something about his character. If that hadn't happened there might have been a scene where it was like "yeah we hosed up and killed a lot of people" but there are specific plot reasons we never had time to get that scene, and it's also not like miles and crew intentionally caused what happened. So I'm not totally sure what your problem is unless they specifically said "nobody died" and I missed it which is admittedly possible

I think the issue is that they probably still want Spot to be redeemable in the next movie instead of him having the blood of thousands on his hands

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The way Miles got jumped in the 42verse makes me think the whole evil Miles thing is a fakeout, since neither Miles or his uncle actually SAY anything incriminating or hurt him besides the knockout (the movie frames the whole thing as very grim, yes) it felt more like knocking someone out to interrogate them cause what are they supposed to think when an obviously 'fake' Miles double rolls up on em? I think it'll end up being a universe where Miles just turned out as more of an Batman/Punisher antihero.

mystes
May 31, 2006

keet posted:

The way Miles got jumped in the 42verse makes me think the whole evil Miles thing is a fakeout, since neither Miles or his uncle actually SAY anything incriminating or hurt him besides the knockout (the movie frames the whole thing as very grim, yes) it felt more like knocking someone out to interrogate them cause what are they supposed to think when an obviously 'fake' Miles double rolls up on em? I think it'll end up being a universe where Miles just turned out as more of an Batman/Punisher antihero.
I think that's very likely and it would especially make sense if the idea is for Across the Spider-Verse to set up the idea of predestination in a way where we're supposed to assume that the Prowler has to be evil and then have the next movie reject that

When you think about it, there's nothing that even inherently makes the spot have to become a villain either; while to some degree that's a reaction to being rejected by other people because of his appearance, it also kind of feels like he just felt like he HAD to become a villain because he's supposed to be Miles' nemesis (which is pretty weak motivation even for a spiderman villain) when he could have just as easily just decide to be a superhero instead, so it feels like after this movie, the next one will be in a very good position to argue that the incorrect belief in predestination is responsible for a lot of the problems if its inclined to go in that direction

I think it makes sense that if protagonist Miles can choose to reject what is supposed to be his fate, then alternate Miles should also be able to be the Prowler but choose to make the Prowler more of a batman style hero rather than a villain

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 5, 2023

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

keet posted:

|If the sinister 6 run the city and miles and Aaron cared enough about Jeff to still paint his mural it seems to me more likely they'd be working against the villains by breaking and entering than still be working for kingpin. Also how both Aaron and Rio react to miles before Miles 42 texts Aaron and raises his suspicions makes me think he's still a good kid at heart in a much darker world.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Danger posted:

The overall message of “gently caress canon” is a very very good moral for comic nerds and it’s amazing it’s baked in so hard here

Nuh, uh! Didn't you listen!? Canon is THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGIN THE MULTIVERSION.
Think we got an inheritor on our hands here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Regalingualius posted:

My favorite bit about Hobie was how he makes everyone think he’s ultimately all talk, but then it turns out that he actually used that to his advantage to steal Miguel’s stuff and make his own dimension travel devices.

In other words, he seized the means of production.
:allears:

Don't watch the mouth.

Watch the hands.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

keet posted:

Not sure to be honest I saw the point that Miles Dad died in this one and it didnt make him a good person. It's a rejection of the dead parent figure = spider-man thing.

Also from a pure narrative perspective if Anti-miles is a hero then its another hero meeting a whole team of heroes when the other spider-men turn up, getting. bit imbalanced with the stakes there.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So the realization that Gwen is like not at all subtly coded as trans is hitting the film discourse and once again revealing how awful people are at any kind of media literacy lol

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Danger posted:

So the realization that Gwen is like not at all subtly coded as trans is hitting the film discourse and once again revealing how awful people are at any kind of media literacy lol
Hi, I'm generally clueless, but don't want to be ignorant. I'm curious about how she is coded as trans? I didn't see that, but again, I'm generally clueless. Would you mind explaining for the slower students, please?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Danger posted:

I read the discourse and I'm not convinced that it was intentional by the creators but also I was like "huh yeah I could see that".

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I read the discourse and I'm not convinced that it was intentional by the creators but also I was like "huh yeah I could see that".

In what world or multiverse could it not have been intentional? At one point she is literally framed with a trans flag that reads “protect trans kids”

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Hi, I'm generally clueless, but don't want to be ignorant. I'm curious about how she is coded as trans? I didn't see that, but again, I'm generally clueless. Would you mind explaining for the slower students, please?

The color scheme does a ton of heavy lifting in this movie especially, it's wonderful. Her world is taken directly out of her comics but her color scheme is specifically some fusion of bisexual lighting and reminiscent of the trans flag. During her emotional climax with her dad her hair overtly takes on the colors of the flag, after reconciling with her dad (in the conversation of how she can only ever show half of herself to him) his badges blur into a trans flag. Early in the film she is framed underneath a trans flag that reads "Protect Trans Kids".
This is all in the context of the central premise of the movie: gently caress canon, you can be who you want to be.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Danger posted:

In what world or multiverse could it not have been intentional? At one point she is literally framed with a trans flag that reads “protect trans kids”

I think that's the strongest detail to be sure, but a lot of the other stuff people are talking about (specifically color scheme and lighting) are taken from her original comic covers and design. Of course this could be plausible deniability because can you imagine the freak out if Sony were like "yeah she's trans what are you going to do about it"

I think that - as initially conceived - Spiderverse Gwen was cis, but someone within the creative team was like "yeah but what if" and added more explicit nods to let people read her in that way. Which, like you said, is extremely thematically appropriate.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mystes posted:

I think that's very likely and it would especially make sense if the idea is for Across the Spider-Verse to set up the idea of predestination in a way where we're supposed to assume that the Prowler has to be evil and then have the next movie reject that

When you think about it, there's nothing that even inherently makes the spot have to become a villain either; while to some degree that's a reaction to being rejected by other people because of his appearance, it also kind of feels like he just felt like he HAD to become a villain because he's supposed to be Miles' nemesis (which is pretty weak motivation even for a spiderman villain) when he could have just as easily just decide to be a superhero instead, so it feels like after this movie, the next one will be in a very good position to argue that the incorrect belief in predestination is responsible for a lot of the problems if its inclined to go in that direction

I think it makes sense that if protagonist Miles can choose to reject what is supposed to be his fate, then alternate Miles should also be able to be the Prowler but choose to make the Prowler more of a batman style hero rather than a villain

And now I’m wondering if the next film will be revealing that Miguel also got it wrong about that universe losing out on their Spidey… because their Spider-Man had some combination of street-smarts, experience, and his own reasons for keeping his abilities on the down-low.

In other words, Aaron-42 is their Spider-Man, and Miles-42 is his sidekick.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Danger posted:

The color scheme does a ton of heavy lifting in this movie especially, it's wonderful. Her world is taken directly out of her comics but her color scheme is specifically some fusion of bisexual lighting and reminiscent of the trans flag. During her emotional climax with her dad her hair overtly takes on the colors of the flag, after reconciling with her dad (in the conversation of how she can only ever show half of herself to him) his badges blur into a trans flag. Early in the film she is framed underneath a trans flag that reads "Protect Trans Kids".
This is all in the context of the central premise of the movie: gently caress canon, you can be who you want to be.

That is all very cool. Thank you for pointing it out to me. Overall, the movie was so stunning, and fast, and took up a much larger field of view than I'm used to. I just missed a whole lot of it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I think that's the strongest detail to be sure, but a lot of the other stuff people are talking about (specifically color scheme and lighting) are taken from her original comic covers and design. Of course this could be plausible deniability because can you imagine the freak out if Sony were like "yeah she's trans what are you going to do about it"

I think that - as initially conceived - Spiderverse Gwen was cis, but someone within the creative team was like "yeah but what if" and added more explicit nods to let people read her in that way. Which, like you said, is extremely thematically appropriate.

The bisexual lighting is fully intended (and as you note also present in her watercolor comics). lso note the repeated conflict of coming out to your parents or others. Even at the end you could tell that Gwen was struggling with whether to out Miles.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Danger posted:

The bisexual lighting is fully intended (and as you note also present in her watercolor comics). lso note the repeated conflict of coming out to your parents or others. Even at the end you could tell that Gwen was struggling with whether to out Miles.

Honestly I'm just being excessively cynical that such positive representation could be achieved except by accident or stealth but if anyone could do it, it's the Spiderverse team

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

This movie gave me a unique feeling I haven't had before: enjoying the first 90% so much that my disappointment with the ending actually made me angry. It's normal for movies in the middle of trilogies to be burdened with the most pressure to set things up and leave unresolved threads for the next movie to pick up on, but I left the theater feeling unsatisfied despite knowing how many ecstatic highs I felt over the run time. I think I was let down by my own expectations based on my experience with the first film, which felt self-contained enough to be its own story.

This movie has a lot of good ideas, but they all are in service to expanding on events from the previous movie (naturally) or setting up the next movie which makes it feel more liminal than cathartic to me.

Really, I think if I were more of a true comics/MCU person this wouldn't bother me so much. For the better part of a century marvel characters are meant to go on these long arcs with lots of setup and anticipation, so I can recognize that this is a problem with me being more of a fan of one-off stories as opposed to series.

Still, my feeling is that I got onto a roller coaster and saw a lot of cool sites as it slowly built up to the top- then once we got to the top of the arc, we were asked to get off and walk back down because they haven't built the rest of the track yet. The build up with the Spot is incredibly strong both visually and thematically, all of the incredible and varied spider person designs were utilized incredibly well in the chase sequence, and there is intrigue to the far reaching consequences of Miles being bitten by universe 42's spider and denying them their Spider-Man. All awesome, well represented ideas that I personally would have preferred to receive individual attention in a self-contained movie. But I am in the minority for sure on this, and my hope is that my disappointment will turn into satisfaction once the next movie comes out and I can watch them in sequence.

Positives just so I can be intellectually honest about the good: these animators are incredible at depicting character through movement and both Prabhakar and spider punk are incredibly engaging to see in action. Another strong visual that I was drawn into was the impressionistic painterly style of the backgrounds whenever Gwen was having an emotional talk with her father, this team never leaves any opportunity to communicate something visually on the table. Finally, Spot is just a lot of drat fun, fantastic villain no notes.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Honestly I'm just being excessively cynical that such positive representation could be achieved except by accident or stealth but if anyone could do it, it's the Spiderverse team

It may shock some to learn that art is a deliberate thing, both in creation and in it's reading.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

As far as the trans discussion goes, I just felt happy when I saw Gwen's "protect trans kids" poster.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tea Party Crasher posted:

As far as the trans discussion goes, I just felt happy when I saw Gwen's "protect trans kids" poster.

I actually think that shot is from when she’s in Miles’ room, so it’s his poster. And her dad is wearing a lil trans flag on his badge too. The importance of being a good ally!

Also Gwen’s dad is objectively the best cop because he did the one good thing you can do when you’re a cop: quit being a cop

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Also Gwen’s dad is objectively the best cop because he did the one good thing you can do when you’re a cop: quit being a cop

That beat was perfect because during that scene I was just starting to feel like "poo poo this movie feels like it has a lot of reverence for cops", and then he reveals he quit and my mind was brought right back to the story

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DC Murderverse posted:

I actually think that shot is from when she’s in Miles’ room, so it’s his poster. And her dad is wearing a lil trans flag on his badge too. The importance of being a good ally!

Gwen's dad is the only good cop in every universe, one way or another

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Gwen's dad is the only good cop in every universe, one way or another
lol

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I thought they did the thing with Gwen's dad at the beginning to... contrast sharply with how Jefferson would take the reveal from Miles at the end of the movie but I'm kinda glad Gwen got some real resolution in this film. Especially since Miles' story is mid-cliffhanger

Tea Party Crasher posted:

That beat was perfect because during that scene I was just starting to feel like "poo poo this movie feels like it has a lot of reverence for cops", and then he reveals he quit and my mind was brought right back to the story

Literally had the same feeling.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

As for the To Be Continued, I get that a lot of people are upset about that now but I think that will fade once the second movie comes out. The only difference between this and Avengers or Harry Potter is that it wasn’t advertised explicitly as part one of two, but I think looking at this movie and thinking of everything we likely wouldn’t have gotten if it was just one film, I’d say it’s worth it. I imagine almost all of the Gwen stuff was added after that decision was made because in a 2.5 hour movie that has to start and finish the whole thing, there’s no room for that. They made the right call in the long run even if you annoy some people in the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The amazing thing about this movies visuals to me is how it gets you to buy into it a little at a time until PS4 rendered Spider-Man is there next to actual human Donald Glover and it’s like yeah sure ok and then a lot of things are happening which are just pure expressionistic visual metaphor (the colours of Gwen world changing with the mood, Miles thoughts and fears just being waking dream sequences) but it works.

Some parts of it are so visually chaotic but then for some scenes it’s not afraid to just slow right down and sit in a moment either.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 5, 2023