Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Probably most famously used to describe the playstyle of low-rank SF4 Ken players online (see below), but has kinda become a shorthand for any character that has a two-dimensional gameplan where you are just reproducing the same steps in the same scenarios ad infinitum

I know someone already posted a version of it but the OG image is so iconic imo

Okay I definitely have seen that image before despite playing 0 min of sf4 lol.

I can only pray I don't fall into the same trap with the characters I'm trying out right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

inthesto posted:

IME, Marisa's superman punch is very easy for DJ to deal with. Heavy upkicks and slide will both beat it clean.

Chun's sMK beats it, but if you do it slightly too late (or Marissa is far out so she's hitting you with the tip of the fist) it'll trade way in her favor. It's pretty slow start up so you can catch it with a lot of other stuff too so long as the hitbox on the move is pretty high

You can definitely just 22K it tho, but man it feels way more stressful to guard against then it does for her to throw it out. I need to figure out some sort of anti air conversion so that I can make them think twice about it, as opposed to it being a risk/reward that's way in her favor

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Soul Glo posted:

what's the general TOS for online matches wrt using macros? i just bought an 8bitdo arcade stick, and it has the ability to use the P1 and P2 buttons as macros, so i thought i might dedicate them as supers but i'd rather not catch a ban if the game detects that kinda stuff.

Putting button combo ie hp+hk on macros= GOOD

putting whole moves on macros=BAD

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've realized the thing I most wish they'd change about this game: the arcade games need more games on offer at once.

I get why SF2 and Final Fight are on constant play, and the fact I always see at least one person at each cabinet is proof it's the right choice, but I'd love to see some of the SF2 and Final Fight cabinets given up for a fourth game in the cycle, because seeing the weird other games on offer is super fun.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Chun's sMK beats it, but if you do it slightly too late (or Marissa is far out so she's hitting you with the tip of the fist) it'll trade way in her favor. It's pretty slow start up so you can catch it with a lot of other stuff too so long as the hitbox on the move is pretty high

You can definitely just 22K it tho, but man it feels way more stressful to guard against then it does for her to throw it out. I need to figure out some sort of anti air conversion so that I can make them think twice about it, as opposed to it being a risk/reward that's way in her favor

It's in her favor for sure, but I think it's a pretty specific range, and outside of that she has to do a lot of guessing or play extremely slow

Every fake Marisa I have played so far crumples the moment you show that you can deal with her armor moves

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Thanks to the person that recommended I push through on my ranking matches, now that I'm ranked into rookie I can actually practice online without getting crushed every match. It's really fun now that my ranking has settled!

DeeJay is an absolute blast. He has so much personality and his fake-outs and options keep things very interesting. That said most of the time when I'm trying to be tricky and juke around, the other guy just mashes forward and punishes me haha.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

For the first time in a long time I played an actual honest to god flowchart ken in the battlehub when I didn't feel like playing ranked yesterday. Like legit if I was near him and tapped a button at all he'd instantly start mashing ex DP. I could get him to do it 100% of the time

Took me all the way back to 2008 tbh

You are not playing Ken if you are not wake up ex dping everytime. Btw did they take out Ken's arcing tatsu he had in 5?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Cleretic posted:

I've realized the thing I most wish they'd change about this game: the arcade games need more games on offer at once.

I get why SF2 and Final Fight are on constant play, and the fact I always see at least one person at each cabinet is proof it's the right choice, but I'd love to see some of the SF2 and Final Fight cabinets given up for a fourth game in the cycle, because seeing the weird other games on offer is super fun.

Put it on a monthly rotation and put Dong Dong Never Die on first. :getin:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So that Capcom ID campaign that gives you SF II and a bunch of titles hasn’t worked for anyone else yet, has it? It says I’m all good to go on the website but there’s nothing showing up in game.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

What is the max level for the Master styles for your World Tour/Avatar Battles fight character?

I know bond is 0-100 but there’s no indicator for style level. Want to know how much of a grind getting the little art pieces and all the moves linked to style level actually is. I’m at level 15 for Ryu and still do not have his level 3 super lol

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

man nurse posted:

So that Capcom ID campaign that gives you SF II and a bunch of titles hasn’t worked for anyone else yet, has it? It says I’m all good to go on the website but there’s nothing showing up in game.

Go to the Menu from the Home Screen, click News, open anything with the picture of a present on it.

Edit: it might be “Announcements” I can’t remember off the top of my head

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 5, 2023

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Zikan posted:

What is the max level for the Master styles for your World Tour/Avatar Battles fight character?

I know bond is 0-100 but there’s no indicator for style level. Want to know how much of a grind getting the little art pieces and all the moves linked to style level actually is. I’m at level 15 for Ryu and still do not have his level 3 super lol

I'm pretty sure it's 20 for master styles (after which you can use excess XP on other styles) and 100 for the character

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

I think Street Fighter really needed that. I think for their first attempt it's pretty good and I know lots of people who love how fighting games look but they are too intimidated. I am sure for most people if you get a 15hour campaign, play for a week or two online you got your money's worth while in most other SF games there was nothing for the casual player.

I was thinking modern control were gonna be problematic but from what I've seen it's just made the game more accessible to more people which is great. I know lots of people love the music in this game but for me that's the only thing 5 has over it.

world tour is a great loss leader: it obviously took a stupid amount of resources to make, but the gamble is that a reasonably high quality single player product will be enough to get people to buy the game, familiarize themselves with the fundamentals through it, and then give online a shot once they're done. i think the numbers on steam alone speak for themselves with how good a strategy this is

i think the implementation of modern controls is one of capcom's smartest moves compared to previous attempts ala xrd, because it's not built to be The Noob Mode but, rather, a considered tradeoff between ease of execution and potential output. you're sacrificing special damage and more unpredictability with your moveset in exchange for consistency in your actions, something which is valuable even for veterans who aren't going to be able to mechanically execute under pressure optimally 100% of the time, and there's still enough raw inputs and combo potential available in modern that you don't feel like you've hit the end of mechanical mastery once you figure out how to press your three one button combos

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

inthesto posted:

It's in her favor for sure, but I think it's a pretty specific range, and outside of that she has to do a lot of guessing or play extremely slow

Every fake Marisa I have played so far crumples the moment you show that you can deal with her armor moves

Oh for sure, it's just so stressful to deal with sometimes lol

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Did anyone have any trouble after meeting Chun Li in the World Tour mode? I'm not sure if my game is bugged out or not, but she wants me to talk to her students. I've talked to them all and even beat them up, but it's not letting me progress.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

-Dethstryk- posted:

Did anyone have any trouble after meeting Chun Li in the World Tour mode? I'm not sure if my game is bugged out or not, but she wants me to talk to her students. I've talked to them all and even beat them up, but it's not letting me progress.

you need to equip chun's style and then talk to the young guy in the back row to fight him, as it's basically a style switching tutorial

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Vermain posted:

you need to equip chun's style and then talk to the young guy in the back row to fight him, as it's basically a style switching tutorial
Yeah, I beat him up too after he told me to switch styles. I think I've talked and fought every single person in that little area. Scratching my head.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Put it on a monthly rotation and put Dong Dong Never Die on first. :getin:

I'd definitely be up for that, but I admit it's impossible.

But now that I think about it... legally speaking, would there be anything stopping them from quietly replacing SF2 with Rainbow Edition for like, a day, just to see what happens?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the thing that owns about modern controls is it lets you learn matchups earlier than you would otherwise. when people can't pull off specials it tends to boil down the cast to just normals and footsies in the ultra low ranks but modern lets people get a feel for what each character does different without the skill investment.

i don't use them but I really like that despite being an iron rank scrub i'm matching against people who can use their characters effectively to some extent.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm just now realizing that I haven't used Drive Reversal even once yet

I really need to remember it exists, because it would be really nice to get out of pressure situations sometimes without having to commit to DI or an invincible reversal

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I really need to remember it exists, because it would be really nice to get out of pressure situations sometimes without having to commit to DI or an invincible reversal

It's really slow and -8 on block for 3 drive bars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm not using so many of the available mechanics except doing drive rush combos the first chance I get putting me in burnout immediately, and that's why I'm gonna be hardstruck silver forever lol. But at least now I can't get demoted to bronze league!

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

My favorite line in world tour is when you learn the shoryuken from ken he says, "I hope you aren't one of those people who are gonna just keep throwing out this move willy nilly."

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Go to the Menu from the Home Screen, click News, open anything with the picture of a present on it.

Edit: it might be “Announcements” I can’t remember off the top of my head

Nah, there’s nothing there

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

It's really slow and -8 on block for 3 drive bars.

oof, perhaps it's for the best I haven't used it too much

Though I guess that's better than drive impacting and getting counter drive impacted

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

teagone posted:

I'm not using so many of the available mechanics except doing drive rush combos the first chance I get putting me in burnout immediately, and that's why I'm gonna be hardstruck silver forever lol. But at least now I can't get demoted to bronze league!

Being hard stuck in silver because you're using the mechanics too much is probably an easier problem to fix than being hard stuck in silver because you're not remembering to use them at all (besides DI).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, it's impossible to stop people jumping at you when playing JP.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

man nurse posted:

Nah, there’s nothing there

Oh ok, that’s not right, then. Sorry, can’t help you with that.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ryoga posted:

My favorite line in world tour is when you learn the shoryuken from ken he says, "I hope you aren't one of those people who are gonna just keep throwing out this move willy nilly."
They cranked his self-awareness to 11 this time round

Sleng Teng posted:

I can only pray I don't fall into the same trap with the characters I'm trying out right now
”Flowcharting” isn’t that bad in and of itself imo, especially when you’re starting out. Hard-coding “when I’m in this position, I’ll do this” is a decent way of building muscle memory and situational awareness. In my experience it’s only in Gold or above where people actually start adapting to a linear gameplan from their opponent anyways. Once you’ve conditioned someone to learn your flowchart, that’s when you can start having some coinflip fun with them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

chumbler posted:

Being hard stuck in silver because you're using the mechanics too much is probably an easier problem to fix than being hard stuck in silver because you're not remembering to use them at all (besides DI).

You're probably right, but I'm not motivated enough to try and break my habits and improve :haw:

Plus, I'm having a blast in World Tour for the time being and will likely spend a bunch of time in there maxing out the bonds for a handful of characters.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

world tour is a great loss leader: it obviously took a stupid amount of resources to make, but the gamble is that a reasonably high quality single player product will be enough to get people to buy the game, familiarize themselves with the fundamentals through it, and then give online a shot once they're done. i think the numbers on steam alone speak for themselves with how good a strategy this is

Worked on me! World Tour mode got me to buy it and the last fighting game I bought before that was SF4.

Edit: The mode is cool btw, I am really enjoying it as a kind of bargain yakuza with better combat than all of those games minus maybe 0.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo, it's impossible to stop people jumping at you when playing JP.

???

crouching heavy punch is his anti air and it combos into the spike thing. it's in the combo trials even. and he has an air throw lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

???

crouching heavy punch is his anti air and it combos into the spike thing. it's in the combo trials even. and he has an air throw lol.

...I'm so stupid.

I was just playing JP and doing anti-air crHP into everything except the spike, because it just somehow slipped my mind that I can combo into it from close ranges too. :downs:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
While a lot of JP's moves add a juggle point I don't think Cr.Hp is one of them.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
...that feeling when you're too old to play fighting games anymore......it was a good 30 year run, haha!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

...that feeling when you're too old to play fighting games anymore......it was a good 30 year run, haha!
I'm 43 and never giving this up!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'll stop playing fighting games when my wrist snaps after doing a QCF motion.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

G-III posted:

I'm 43 and never giving this up!

literally same. there's no such thing as too old for fighting games, look at competitive tekken lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I accept that starting to play them in earnest in my late 30s means I'll only ever be silver/floor 8 at best, but you can still find some fun even in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Like the person earlier in this thread, I couldn't figure out where the "quit game" option was. Now that I know, every time I try to use it, the game freezes.

If that's the only crash I have, I guess I'll take it.