Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Black August posted:

jesus christ. it had BETTER have VR Chat access at this level of bullshit

VRChat mentioned that they were actively rebuilding a bunch of stuff to allow running on iOS, and suddenly that makes way more sense if that was just a side effect of getting it to where it can run on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
sitting at a desk is so boring. Wouldn't you like to look at spreadsheets standing in your kitchen instead?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:laffo: how is this not gonna be absolutely dead on arrival

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

lmao they had the guy look down and at least he had feet

big loving dig at zuck

jason3232
Apr 11, 2022
The price tag plus the presentation doesn't feel like a product aimed for your average consumer/VR hobbyist, and more like something business with too much money to buy for their WFH employees.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

jason3232 posted:

The price tag plus the presentation doesn't feel like a product aimed for your average consumer/VR hobbyist, and more like something business with too much money to buy for their WFH employees.

Which is how the Quest Pro was angled, and it flopped hard.

Save us Quest 3, you're our only hope!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jason3232 posted:

The title of the presentation is "worldwide developer conference"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

jason3232 posted:

The Quest Pro was also supposed to be that but it doesn't sound like that did too well at $1500, this is over twice that and doesn't even have PCVR gaming as a fallback like the Quest does.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Opinion:

Most of what presented was a iPad (all their apps, their integration into the Apple ecosystem) + Quest 2 with higher screen resolution and better audio (browsing, multi task windows around, 3d movies, using it on a plane, using it as a big rear end tv, even the feature that shows the real world if someone enters your Guardian, etc). Only for $3499.

Ultimately, they have the same problem as everyone: lack of compelling software. The Disney app looked like something it could be in Quest 2 too.

Someone make a funny sentence to put in the thread title.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

jason3232 posted:

You mean like the holo lens? That didn't turn out so well, and most of the workforce is on windows I'd imagine, not apple, so this is even more of a hard sell to businesses.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Turin Turambar posted:

Opinion:

Most of what presented was a iPad (all their apps, their integration into the Apple ecosystem) + Quest 2 with higher screen resolution and better audio (browsing, multi task windows around, 3d movies, using it on a plane, using it as a big rear end tv, even the feature that shows the real world if someone enters your Guardian, etc). Only for $3499.

Ultimately, they have the same problem as everyone: lack of compelling software. The Disney app looked like something it could be in Quest 2 too.

Yeah. My only hope is that Apple will lure in the masses of developers. The space needs more quality content.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Just getting on the bus with my $3499 glasses, should be fine

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Still didn't announce the freaking fov. Bleh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It also felt from what I saw that it was being pitched as kind of a alternative to a MacBook Pro which it is not.

At all.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it was literally just a quest 2 with apple polish minus any actually compelling software (e.g. games)

again, that'll be a uh large lol with an extra large side of lmao

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Won't even be that great as a monitor replacement if you're looking through binoculars the whole time

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

jason3232 posted:

that's the first obvious stab, powerful office tool junk for businesses to blow money on for VR/AI teams or whatever, as well as a rich man's entertainment system. train the thing on the initial small batch of buyer's to get better hand data and etc etc to slim it into visors and eventually AR glasses you can sell as phone upgrades

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

chird posted:

From the apple thread:

Hughmoris posted:

If you wear this in public, I feel like you're just asking to get punched in the face and having it snatched off your head. Especially for $3500.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

Lightning is trash technology gated by weird licensing bullshit. Next year (maybe this year?) they'll drop it on the iPhone due to Euro cable restrictions (creates twice as much cable trash) this year and my wife and I can stop having two cars and two charging technologies in the car and house. Her stupid phone is the only device in the house that uses dumb lightning cables

Thats your fault for not being more like your smart wife.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Opinion:

strong agree

i think until they crack 5000x5000 or maybe even 6000x6000 and figure out how to drive that in each eye at 90+ fps it's just going to be a novelty playing gamecube grade games

I don't think I saw a single original idea except the front display that shows your eyes which is, I guess good for marketing, but doesn't matter to the person wearing it in their living room alone

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chird posted:

with a convenient way for bystanders to know if you're at all aware of your surroundings! what could POSSIBLY go wrong!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Opinion:

Someone make a funny sentence to put in the thread title.

The complete lack of actual VR games in the presentation, even simple demoing-a-specific-feature ones, is just weird. I wonder if that's a strategy thing to try and avoid "Apple can't into game" talk, or if they genuinely haven't figured out how to square it with their no-controllers stance.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

marumaru posted:

with a convenient way for bystanders to know if you're at all aware of your surroundings! what could POSSIBLY go wrong!

They need a security mode, where the Eyes stay on and track whomever is in front.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

The title of the presentation is "worldwide developer conference"

We knew from the start that this thing was going to be more for developers and professionals, that's was the initial rumor a pair of years ago in fact. Even knowing that, I was surprised by the price tag.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Turin Turambar posted:

We knew from the start that this thing was going to be more for developers and professionals, that's was the initial rumor a pair of years ago in fact. Even knowing that, I was surprised by the price tag.

I'm most surprised by a launch 6+ months out.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Gonna take the Quest Pro on my flight to San Diego tomorrow just to see how many times it gets mistaken for this Apple thing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

also: every 3D render they had (like, not a video or something) had super low res textures. i wonder if this thing simply cant run games. the dinosaur scene was particularly poo poo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

sitting here thinking about future headsets for kids where Mickey the AI mouse with full magic animation is dancing around talking to the kid 24/7 like an imaginary friend parasite that never has to go away (unless you stop paying the monthly sub)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Black August posted:

that's the first obvious stab, powerful office tool junk for businesses to blow money on for VR/AI teams or whatever, as well as a rich man's entertainment system. train the thing on the initial small batch of buyer's to get better hand data and etc etc to slim it into visors and eventually AR glasses you can sell as phone upgrades

Except the Quest Pro failure kinda showed businesses would rather just spend money on cheap monitors and computers.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leathal posted:

Gonna take the Quest Pro on my flight to San Diego tomorrow just to see how many times it gets mistaken for this Apple thing.

but will the battery last long enough?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I think that announcement just made the Quest lineup look a lot more appealing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

marumaru posted:

but will the battery last long enough?

Yes but only if dude is flying from Los Angeles to San Diego

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

njsykora posted:

Except the Quest Pro failure kinda showed businesses would rather just spend money on cheap monitors and computers.

oh no believe me I'm not saying anywhere that this is going to succeed or that it makes sense, I'm just guessing at the track of Apple's intentions contrasted against how VR is being siderailed by AI in the last half year

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roadie posted:

The complete lack of actual VR games in the presentation, even simple demoing-a-specific-feature ones, is just weird. I wonder if that's a strategy thing to try and avoid "Apple can't into game" talk, or if they genuinely haven't figured out how to square it with their no-controllers stance.

You are right, a correction. It's an iPad + Quest 2 with better hardware but without games and without 6dof controllers.

BTW, the 'personas' 3d avatars shown looked decent, but not as good as the ones that Meta has in research. Then again the ones from Meta are not in a final consumer product so Apple wins.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

njsykora posted:

It also felt from what I saw that it was being pitched as kind of a alternative to a MacBook Pro which it is not.

At all.

I immediately think of upper management types and execs who never need to go outside the boundary of App Store apps, and for whom a nominal productivity upgrade that's also a personal movie theater and is "cool" because Apple makes for an appealing business expense.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

They need a security mode, where the Eyes stay on and track whomever is in front.

my eyes are UP HERE

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

jason3232 posted:

But FB/Meta already tried this with the Quest Pro and it was met with a 33% price cut in a short period of time. If Meta can't con people into buying these Zoom/Teams headsets at $1k each, I don't understand how the hell Apple is gonna do it at $3,500 + tax each. That's close to $3,800/unit when all is said and done, unless you happen to live in an area with fairly low sales tax rates. I feel like any reasonable business would rather spend that money on 2-3 decent Dell laptops instead, but I've only worked in one business that was Mac-centric. They sold hardware for Macs before Apple started soldering everything or using proprietary connectors and, unsurprisingly, do not exist anymore.

Maybe I am underestimating the amount of Apple devoted worldwide, but it really feels like it is going to be the biggest tech flop of the past two decades. It's so ridiculously out there that people quickly gave up criticizing the $7,000 Mac Pro (base model btw--max 192GB now-unified RAM [we want to solder it and make sure you can't buy anything except our overpriced RAM] compared to the ~1.5TB max of the models released 3-4 years ago) in less than an hour. That might be a new record, given how much poo poo has been thrown towards them by professionals for their treatment of the Mac Pro line after 2012.

e:b of course

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

MarcusSA posted:

Yes but only if dude is flying from Los Angeles to San Diego

Portland to San Diego, so I only need to bring one extra external battery :cool:

Pretty lol that the tethered Apple headset seems to have, at best, equivalent battery life to the Quest Pro. Get pucked, idiots

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It feels a lot like a device that was conceived when everyone was expecting work from home to go much longer and productivity was something they’d want to use the VR headset they bought to stave off lockdown cabin fever for. Then by the time it actually got to the point where headset sales were hard tanking and the Quest Pro showed no-one wants to do spreadsheets in VR it was too far along to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How do we think Zuck and the meta VR team is feeling right now? Pretty smudge?