Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Let's make a poll...
"Apple MR device price poll! Select the price that will be closer to the real price"

https://strawpoll.com/polls/YVyPmd763nN

Poll went up over in the VR thread

Keynote starts here in ~2 min

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VR is dead

Should short facebook stock, if Apple can't figure out VR, meta/quest is doomed

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Hadlock posted:

Walmart generally has 20% or more of their floor space devoted to grocery; Target feels like, well it varies by store but 0-15% id guess. Their produce section is often bananas apples and oranges same as you'd see at a corner grocery trying to meet the bare minimum to sell alcohol in that area. Eggs or raw meat is pretty hard to find at a target.

Depends on the Target, most of the ones around here (MN) are Super Targets with a full grocery section where you can get most normal groceries. People in MN loving love Target because its from here and it feels less bad than Walmart despite being pretty similar.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Is anyone even excited for this thing? The VR hype peaked years ago and per the norm it did not live up to it. I just cant see this making a difference after everything that happened with Meta.

It did result in this all time best magazine cover

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Target is brighter and cleaner if nothing else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Is anyone even excited for this thing? The VR hype peaked years ago and per the norm it did not live up to it. I just cant see this making a difference after everything that happened with Meta.

I think this was the last hope for VR, really

"Maybe Apple has been sitting on the killer app that will make people want VR"

fake edit: lmao $3500, available in 2024

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I love my local dollar store. There is no reason nor rhyme that I can see to the layout. You are in the aisle with the crackers, but can't find any saltines. You know why you can't find them? Because they are on an endcap six aisles over with the brooms and greeting cards. The next endcap is filled with paper plates. The same paper plates are also located five other places around the store. Everything is like that in the store I go to and I just find it interesting how chaotic everything is. I'm not sure if they just randomly decide how to stock the shelves, or if it is some genius layout to get you to walk through the entire store when you just came in to get a can of dog food and a pencil sharpener.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup there's something distinctive about how much product is tossed around, lying on the floor or at the bottom of shelves where it's been pulled off of hooks. Gives an impression. Target seems to understand what customers will feel if they see poo poo scattered everywhere like that, whereas walmart prefers to cut costs.

I think it actually affects perception of quality of the products themselves. Like somehow in the back of your head, if you see a bunch of, I don't know, let's say phone chargers, and several of them are on the floor, the first one on the hanger is torn open, the one behind it is mashed, and then there's three good ones at the back, you'll be less likely to retrieve one of the good ones and buy it than exactly the same charger, same packaging, and same price, at a store where the only ones you can see are all neatly hanging and undamaged.

Dunno if this actually relevant to the stock picking thread. I don't invest directly in retail companies, I don't think the margins are good, there's so much overhead and the space is so competitive and profits are generally highly sensitive to shifts in the economy. I don't think I am ever likely to know better than the market what's up with a retailer.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I think this was the last hope for VR, really

"Maybe Apple has been sitting on the killer app that will make people want VR"

fake edit: lmao $3500, available in 2024

Time will tell, really and don’t overlook Apple fanboys/girls. I know several people that are going to buy it sight unseen just because it’s an Apple product. I suspect many others will as well.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

Time will tell, really and don’t overlook Apple fanboys/girls. I know several people that are going to buy it sight unseen just because it’s an Apple product. I suspect many others will as well.

At $3500 a pop though, how many of those people can there be?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah, I bought a deluxe model Quest v1 shortly before the pandemic for like $550, and then later after lockdowns were announced being like "at least I have my quest". I turned it on around christmas that year and all the games said "last played 6+ months ago". Not many new games have been released since then

People might buy it but you can't put it in your pocket and go to a concert and text your friends to say "where are you?". Strong 3D TV. Great initial adoption, but there's not much to keep people coming back. Quest offered free "live" Justin Bieber and Brittany Spears concerts in VR but most people put it on a shelf and forget about it after a couple of months

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/business/status/1665797077622747139?s=20

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cacafuego posted:

To be fair, I thought the Dick Tracy watches were dumb, and everybody has one now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ubiquitus posted:

My parents (and many others) paid $3500 in 1990s $ for a computer running Windows 3.1. You’re likely correct, but I wouldn’t underestimate how much people will spend on their tech toys. I have friends that are dumping a smaller amount on competitor headsets, but a ton on graphics cards to keep up with it. People buy a ton of frivolous, useless tech poo poo. It’ll all depend on the software though, I suppose.

Red posted:

To be fair, I thought the Dick Tracy watches were dumb, and everybody has one now.

Exactly - an Apple Watch costs 4x what a Fitbit costs and I know so, so many people that have one and have bought each iteration of them.

I’m not saying it’s going to be a grand slam, but I can’t see a world where a new Apple product isn’t a moderate success. That likely won’t make the stock a massive gain though. We’ll see. I’m holding what I have and may add if it decreases.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Lucky Palmer, avid time traveler, doing his best impression of Tim Cook jumping the shark 7 years late

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Lot of people just got a like a $200-$300 apple watch because people ran out of ideas for birthday and christmas gifts. Meta Quest VR was the upper range of this vital retail market. I don't think Apple VR is going to achieve that level of success because it's much too expensive to appeal to people who can't think of any good ideas for somebody for christmas.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a $500 iwatch sitting in a drawer somewhere that my wife got from a family member for her birthday, yeah

The quest at launch was $500 which is kind of pricey but also an impulse buy that won't leave you sleeping on the couch for more than a couple of days. Or "I'm gonna get this for me but I'm telling my wife and family I'm just spoiling the kids for christmas". $3500 is "i'm breaking up with you and moving out, my mom was right, you're irresponsible and you have major issues with spending money and I can't do this anymore" territory

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Hadlock posted:

There's a $500 iwatch sitting in a drawer somewhere that my wife got from a family member for her birthday, yeah

The quest at launch was $500 which is kind of pricey but also an impulse buy that won't leave you sleeping on the couch for more than a couple of days. Or "I'm gonna get this for me but I'm telling my wife and family I'm just spoiling the kids for christmas". $3500 is "i'm breaking up with you and moving out, my mom was right, you're irresponsible and you have major issues with spending money and I can't do this anymore" territory

What’s an iwatch?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's like an ipod but you wear it on your wrist instead of your pocket

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Oscar Wild posted:

It was pretty funny until it turned out the dude was a white nationalist. Then it just got kind of sad.

More on topic though, as someone who was alive for the first round of VR hype in the mid 90s it is not surprising to see it fail the second time around. VR proponents keep trying to market this stuff towards gamers and thats never going to work. Gaming is a sedentary hobby and while VR doesnt require a huge amount of activity it still demands enough to make using it for hours at a time absolutely out of the question for most gamers. So while it might find a few niches in gaming where it works great like flight sims, its never going to achieve broad acceptance. They need to shop around for a new question to answer with this thing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

does anyone in this thread trade stocks anymore :mad:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ubiquitus posted:

go look at prices of common cleaning products and snacks at Grainger and never again underestimate the number of people who have corporate purchasing authority

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Agronox posted:

I do but its all stuff that’s in the russell 2000 and FAANG types have just sucked all the oxygen out of the room for the last few months and it sucks for trading.

nothing to do but sit and wait. was active in trading the first two months of the year. then its been slightly down hill since. should have full port yolo’d into nvidia i guess.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Agronox posted:

Imagine trading stocks when there is natural gas and equity index vol to sell. This has been an incredible year so far, 2nd half of March especially. Pull up a chart of uvxy ytd. What a time to be alive 🙏.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Agronox posted:

Due to this stupid AI pop, I sold some calls on the PLTR I've been bag holding, hopefully they get called away

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm out of almost everything options related except some dumb puts that will probably put a dent in my latest win.

NVDA Jun 30 2023 345 Put (Weekly)

AMD Sep 15 2023 95 Put

SPY Jun 7 2023 425 Put (Weekly)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://twitter.com/SECGov/status/1666059252442746881

Whenever I see an announcement like this I always wonder how many SEC insiders traded before the announcement.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

dxt posted:

Depends on the Target, most of the ones around here (MN) are Super Targets with a full grocery section where you can get most normal groceries. People in MN loving love Target because its from here and it feels less bad than Walmart despite being pretty similar.

This approach worked for Caribou, kind of.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

https://twitter.com/SECGov/status/1666059252442746881

Whenever I see an announcement like this I always wonder how many SEC insiders traded before the announcement.

How much COIN did ARKF buy? :lol:

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

All of it, hopefully.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But you can’t regulate crypto it says so right in the wiki.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

It's still up YTD and didn't take an excessively bad beating on today's news. If they bought the dip last year they might be positive.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

If the courts rule in favor of the SEC, how are stockholders reimbursed?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/05/mortage-interest-rates-property-values-00094969

quote:

Some $1.5 trillion in mortgages will come due in the next two years,

“The way these loans are structured, you’re mostly paying interest, not principal, so you have to roll over most of the loan” when it comes due, he said. “The bank will say, no, the interest rate is now 6 percent instead of 3 percent 10 years ago, which means that your building is now worth 40 percent lower.”

Van Nieuwerburgh said he wouldn’t be surprised if 10 percent of commercial real estate loans can’t be refinanced, especially as banks grow more cautious about lending against real estate.

Commercial real estate stocks are down this year: An index of publicly traded commercial real estate investment trusts had fallen 18.1 percent in a year as of June 2.

Roughly 5.4 percent of office properties with commercial mortgage-backed securities, meanwhile, were managed by special servicers — meaning they were in some stage of delinquency — in April, up from 3.4 percent a year before,

So, JP Morgan announced that 21% of commercial mortgages will default, the market is down 18% YoY; using very simplified math had the market already priced in the remaining 3% already, or are we still 3% away from the bottom of the market?

Agronox posted:

I was listening to some analysts on the radio the other day and it was their prediction that we would see another s&p 500 low of ~3800 before it starts to climb above it's 2021/22 high

The last time I heard advice like that SPY was 430 and they said it would drop at least another 15% and I ignored it

I did speculatively buy half a share of AAPL an hour before the VR thing @ CB $181 and about two minutes into the announcement sold it at the same price

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/05/mortage-interest-rates-property-values-00094969

So, JP Morgan announced that 21% of commercial mortgages will default, the market is down 18% YoY; using very simplified math had the market already priced in the remaining 3% already, or are we still 3% away from the bottom of the market?

21% of commercial mortgages does not mean 21% of the total net value of all commercial mortgages: it could be (probably is) a number that skews towards some market segments more than others. So we cannot even use that "very simplified math" to infer that the overall market should be down that same 21% in market value, e.g. loss of dollar value across the whole commercial RE mortgage market.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the numbers are all over the place. JP Morgan is claiming just $85 billion in banking losses (I guess that's the valuation haircut the bank takes on defaulted loans?) at a 21% default rate; Whereas the other article is saying the market as a whole is worth $20 trillion with a T and $1.5 coming due. Is $85 billion in losses the haircut banks take on ... $315 billion (21% of $1.5 T)?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Red posted:

If the courts rule in favor of the SEC, how are stockholders reimbursed?

If you're talking about Coinbase, there are fairly extensive disclosures in their SEC filings that say basically "the tokens we sell might be securities and if they are, it would be bad for business"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the numbers are all over the place. JP Morgan is claiming just $85 billion in banking losses (I guess that's the valuation haircut the bank takes on defaulted loans?) at a 21% default rate; Whereas the other article is saying the market as a whole is worth $20 trillion with a T and $1.5 coming due. Is $85 billion in losses the haircut banks take on ... $315 billion (21% of $1.5 T)?

I guess I’m glad I didn’t get that job at CBRE however I probably would’ve been able to answer that question.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

https://twitter.com/funwithnumberz/status/1666234555894755328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Tyro posted:

Due to this stupid AI pop, I sold some calls on the PLTR I've been bag holding, hopefully they get called away

Palantir is the one that annoys me. When all this ai hype was getting started I wondered if they'd get a jump. I figured nahh they're still kind of a crummy company and didn't investigate at all. Could have had a nice easy win over a couple months.

Draftkings is another one that's in that bucket. I didn't think they'd tighten the belt to try and get more profitable for another year or so. Cathy is selling out of dkng to buy coin in that screenshot it looks like. So who knows.