Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wouldn't say anything breaks, although if you don't tally beats you also suddenly have a lot less reason to care about Conditions. Which, again, not necessarily a fatal loss.

Beats are a big pain in the rear end but they do work to tie how fast characters gain XP to how much stuff happens in the game, which can be nice but is only really stylistically different from just handing out a steady drip of XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You won't miss a lot just handing out XP by the session, but you might want to tie some sort of in-game reward to pursuing and satisfying Obsessions in specific. There are already a few easy-to-miss bonuses (they deliver mana as well as arcane beats and they give you an extra scrutiny die) but you could also lock the ability to buy up Arcana or Praxes behind them or something. Like, want to learn Death? Draw up and then satisfy an Obsession about ghosts or vampires or something.

That said, Obsessions are a good way to distinguish mages and entire cabals from each other, so I wouldn't make them purely functional "this is what I'm trying to buy up at the moment" things; you want to be able to have a mage who's just always chasing leads on some obscure cryptid or something because it fires his imagination, whether or not it's immediately relevant to his magical development. You could make them act a bit more like vices, such that they deliver willpower and mana when pinged.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 5, 2023

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

As far as old cities with history go, hard to beat Constantinople, Baghdad, or Rome.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember the community pretty much settled on nWoD/oWoD and then White Wolf took offense at the distinction. For a while, the official-unofficial distinction was cWoD and ???.

I could never remember if cWoD was "classic World of Darkness" or "continuing World of Darkness."

They definitely wanted to have it both ways WRT branding. It's a shame they didn't go more modular, where you could easily drop the God Machine in place of Gaia and have some really loving wild oWoof chronicles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Flailing around with branding while refusing to clarify what they want people to actually do besides keep buying poo poo unthinkingly is pretty standard for... most of the entertainment sector these days, actually.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

I remember the community pretty much settled on nWoD/oWoD and then White Wolf took offense at the distinction. For a while, the official-unofficial distinction was cWoD and ???.

I could never remember if cWoD was "classic World of Darkness" or "continuing World of Darkness."

They definitely wanted to have it both ways WRT branding. It's a shame they didn't go more modular, where you could easily drop the God Machine in place of Gaia and have some really loving wild oWoof chronicles.
Ah, the Glass Walkers Did Nothing Wrong campaign!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JenkinsAndTate/status/1665772038982696963

So that's nice, I guess?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This Green Box Generator for Delta Green is a godsend for "give me ideas and I'll stat them up if I gotta": https://greenbox.robertshippey.net/

In a similar vein, Steve Jackson Games has the Warehouse 23 Basement, which has been around since like the early aughts in some form or another, I think. It was down for a while but now it's back.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Working on a Protectorate through coming up with the lore and legends they tell each other. I wrote a poem!

https://cohost.org/MorsRattus/post/1594224-werewolf-poetry

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Trying to explain what game I actually wanted to run when I was selling Hunter: The Vigil (original flavor) was certainly something else.

:agesilaus: "So, back in '91 White Wolf released Vampire: The Masquerade and it was really popular so they ended up creating a shared meta-plot setting (but not necessarily a shared rule set) for a bunch of different games which they called "The World of Darkness", or WoD.

:cool: *players nod along*

:agesilaus: "Then back in the early 2000's they ended all of those game lines with assorted apocalyptic meta-plots and made a whole new storytelling system with new game lines. They named this new system, "The World of Darkness". But that was confusing, so most people called it the "New World of Darkness", nWoD, while the older games were called just called the "Old World of Darkness" oWoD.

:cool: *players squint their eyes but continue to nod*

:agesilaus: Also most of the games in the nWoD had the same name as in the oWoD except for the text following the colon, so Vampire: The Masquerade (VtM) became Vampire: The Requiem (VtR), or Mage: The Ascension (MtA) became Mage: The Awakening (MtA)...what...oh yea, both mage games have the same acronym, you need to extend it out to MtAc or MtAw...okay so moving on...

:confused: *players squint harder*

:agesilaus: ...you can ignore all of that because the game I want to run is this one *shows book* Hunter: The Vigil

:confused: *one player starts asking about Hunter: The Reckoning 5e*

:agesilaus: Ok, ok. So White Wolf imploded and was bought by an Icelandic MMORPG company who wanted to use the license to make a World of Darkness MMO...what?....I think the Old World of Darkness, not the new....Ok, so at some point they started putting out 20th Anniversary versions of the oWoD games, but also 1.5E versions of nWoD games....huh...who was putting them out?....I don't actually know....a third company I haven't mentioned yet...I think...

:confused: ?????

:agesilaus: Okay, lets just skip to the end, another video game company bought White Wolf and some Swedish guy revived Vampire.....what? No....VtM, not VtR. This was Vampire 5e, but also they decided to make other oWoD games as new editions, and this shared game system is called.....................The World of Darkness (WoD), and now the oWoD is referred to as the "Classic World of Darkness" (cWoD). Meanwhile another company kept making nWoD stuff which they called 2e, but they didn't want to be confused with WoD or cWoD, or oWoD, so they named their system the "Chronicles of Darkness" (CoD, CofD, ChroD, fuckme). Okay, got all of that?

EDIT
:agesilaus: Also, none of the books you buy will reflect these acronyms and all of them will just say "World of Darkness" on them.

...why would you feel the need to give a thirty year history when you could just say "We're going to play this game, it's about every day people who realize that the supernatural is real, and try to fight it. Let's go through character creation , and anybody who starts so much as humming 'Carry On My Wayward Son' doesn't get to play."

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

TheCenturion posted:

...why would you feel the need to give a thirty year history when you could just say "We're going to play this game, it's about every day people who realize that the supernatural is real, and try to fight it. Let's go through character creation , and anybody who starts so much as humming 'Carry On My Wayward Son' doesn't get to play."

You don't want a player going on a wiki walk and asking to play a Wayward.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

If you believe this will ever come out I have a selection of fine bridges to sell you.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pakxos posted:

"There are a few iterations of this game by the same or related companies, but we will be playing a particular one of my choice. Don't believe everything the internet might tell you because there is some legit confusion among even longtime fans on top of the usual bullshit Strong Fan Opinions you might run into. If you want to know more, I'm a humongous loser who can explain it in exhaustive and exhausting detail. Just ask!"

Dave Brookshaw posted:

If you believe this will ever come out I have a selection of fine bridges to sell you.

I dunno with a couple of misguided, rich fans (or slightly less rich but more numerous fans on Kickstarter/IGG/BK) or angel investors looking for a gamble/write-off, I could believe we might possibly see some sort of brief 90's Aaron Spelling-tier product with the potential to be either charming or outright disastrous. Maybe something like Ken White's grifts where they squat out a 10-minute YouTube exclusive that runs for one or two of six planned episodes before sinking into Lethe. Except (hopefully) running out of money due to regular incompetence instead of rank thievery.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I don't, but was more amused to see anything, even just what amounts to ad copy.

That Old Tree posted:

I dunno with a couple of misguided, rich fans (or slightly less rich but more numerous fans on Kickstarter/IGG/BK) or angel investors looking for a gamble/write-off, I could believe we might possibly see some sort of brief 90's Aaron Spelling-tier product with the potential to be either charming or outright disastrous. Maybe something like Ken White's grifts where they squat out a 10-minute YouTube exclusive that runs for one or two of six planned episodes before sinking into Lethe. Except (hopefully) running out of money due to regular incompetence instead of rank thievery.

Ooof. A shame that best case scenario is Kindred: The Embraced but for Scion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I love Scion but it is pretty explicitly a roll your own tool for playing Percy Jackson or American Gods.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Pakxos posted:

Sure, but even then, you hand them a copy of Slasher to read and move on with your life.

Hell, you should hand them a copy of Slasher anyway, it's one of the best nWoD books.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

TheCenturion posted:

It actually wasn't my first instinct, but the entire thing with World of Darkness and the assorted game lines is such a clusterfuck that it was leading to some incredibly annoying cross-talk and I had to try and get everyone on the same page. Yes, I described the premise of Hunter first, that was fine, but this was basically the situation I ran into in my mixed D&D group:

The DM - a much older dude who has been gaming since the original D&D, but only knows the phrase "World of Darkness" and kept mentioning completely unrelated oWoD concepts every time I would start talking about Hunter. When I tried talking about nWoD he apparently decided I was talking about competing companies or something (?).

A cool player - LARPs VtM (oWoD version) and knew about Hunter, but never played it, was not a problem.

A loud player - Apparently is obsessed with Werewolf: The Apocalypse but no other White Wolf game. Seemed to be completely unable to parse that I was talking about a different game line and kept thinking oWoD was a reference to some Dark Age werewolf setting. Literally could not stop bringing the conversation back to this every time I tried talking about what we were playing.

The tablet player - Plays D&D completely from his tablet, and was literally looking up character sheets and books as I was talking. Searching "Hunter" brought him right to HtR5e and thus I needed to try and explain that he was in the wrong place (it didn't help that The DM mentioned above kept saying, "Oh yeah, The World of Darkness!" and searching that on Google brings you to the 5eWoD website).

Cool player 2 - Actually played Hunter and knew what I was talking about. Again, not a problem, but he also wasn't really steering anyone back on course.

Remember, I actually knew what I was looking for and I still came into this thread about a year ago confused about what was going on with nWoD after like a decade hiatus of thinking about it. Now imagine trying to parse the difference between oWoD, oWoD 20th, nWoD, Chronicles of Darkness, the VtM LARPS that might as well be their own distinct thing, and then the current 5eWoD. Pile on top of that the Actual Plays, Video games, and other media, and good luck having everyone on the same page. It was just easier for me to explain that there are like 14 different game lines and that they needed to stop googling and just look at the books I was going to share with them.

EDIT: I mean, a few months ago in the Trad Games Business thread there was sniping back and forth about when "Pathfinder" was made and why Paizo made it, and it took like a page for everyone to realize that there are two different products Paizo made called "Pathfinder" and that everyone was talking about different things. The phrase "World of Darkness" is both older, and about 5x more convoluted than PF.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 5, 2023

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

On that note, is the 5e Vampire book I just got the right book to run Vampire games?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

On that note, is the 5e Vampire book I just got the right book to run Vampire games?

It's *a* book to run Vampire.

Do you want to run the game that's being currently supported, then yes.

Otherwise you've got 4 different editions of Masquerade and 2 of Requiem.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

That Old Tree posted:

If you want to know more, I'm a humongous loser who can explain it in exhaustive and exhausting detail. Just ask!
But…my monitor already is on! :(

Are you gaming over Discord with a crew 2/3rds invested in something else, or were you trying to talk up Hunter while everyone else was mid-round in Mario Kart? Because the problem here isn’t WoD.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

AmiYumi posted:

But…my monitor already is on! :(

Are you gaming over Discord with a crew 2/3rds invested in something else, or were you trying to talk up Hunter while everyone else was mid-round in Mario Kart? Because the problem here isn’t WoD.

Nah, it's in person. It's hard to describe the dynamics of a large gaming table in a manner that makes sense in a forum post. This was at a game I do not run, but play in, and the DM has a habit of just saying yes to anyone that asks to play (the game takes place in a game room at a trad games store), so at any time there might be 7-12 people at that table and I'm trying to talk when several other people are talking. I'm only trying to recruit a few of these guys who I know well, and people who have no interest are also talking at the same time as well.

It's all moot because they want to play and agreed to play, and I'm flat capping the player number so the room does not fill up, so a lot of the white noise will be gone. I've had to sell this game across busy gaming tables, a loud bar, and in the lobby of a movie theater. There's never been an easy spot to just sit down and talk without someone interjecting. It's a weird dynamic, and it's not one I intend to continue when I get the GM seat back after my long absence.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
you had a good explaination!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, figures this isn't a result of players being totally unfamiliar but knowing and assuming just enough to get confused and having to be set straight.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

So, apparently Bloodlines 2 is somehow not dead

https://twitter.com/VtM_Bloodlines/status/1666403803090886658?s=20

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I mean, it kinda tracks for this IP of all things to be constantly rising from its grave

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

They couldn't possibly be aiming for an "Actually, the game's done!!"-type reveal, right? I assume somebody would've reported that development restarted.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Spector29 posted:

They couldn't possibly be aiming for an "Actually, the game's done!!"-type reveal, right? I assume somebody would've reported that development restarted.

The development has been ongoing for the last 1.5 years since they found a new dev to take over the project.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What's that image? Are we getting more kindreds of the east?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Looks like Bahari could be involved and it's just one of their freaky trees.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Spector29 posted:

Not a chance, and I'm willing to :toxx:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Spector29 posted:

Probably not that: https://twitter.com/VtM_Bloodlines/status/1666427425637507075

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Werewolf 20's Apocalyptic Record is out now
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/435189/W20-The-Apocalyptic-Record

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fuzz posted:

Looks like Bahari could be involved and it's just one of their freaky trees.

It was heavily speculated that the Bahari were going to be a major plot thread in the “original” version of Bloodlines 2. Who knows how much of that was kept though.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Is it like a WtA version of Beckett’s Jyhad Diary, or more like the anthologies they put out with each 20th book?

At first I thought it was a new Silver Record, like they did with Book of Nod

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It looks like a in universe short story anthology that ends with a description of the metaplot.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's Beckett's Jyhad Diary but for WtA. Don't know how much will carry over, I'm not going to guess much, but it's mainly that. It's been available to backers for almost a month now I think.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Is it like a WtA version of Beckett’s Jyhad Diary, or more like the anthologies they put out with each 20th book?

At first I thought it was a new Silver Record, like they did with Book of Nod

My understanding is it's the Werewolf version of the Jyhad diary, at least that's what impression I got from the OP updates about it pre-release.

I've had a chance to read the first story and it's pretty good so far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's Beckett's Jyhad Diary but for WtA. Don't know how much will carry over, I'm not going to guess much, but it's mainly that. It's been available to backers for almost a month now I think.

Given how little BJD carried over, probably not much which in BJD's case is a shame because some of the plot threads were really cool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It won't necessarily carry over at all since W5 is a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, that book has like four Crinoses on the cover, we ain't seen any Crinoses in W5.