Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teraflame posted:

I tried P12 a couple years ago and couldnt stand the noise at certain rpms. Those are much better?

I run 6 P14s on radiators in my case and I haven't heard anything like what you describe, I think. I have a couple noctuas as case fans and if anything they're more annoying with noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I just placed an order for a $248 5800X3D that likely got mispriced since the 5800X cost the exact same amount.

If they actually honor the purchase, I have a couple of questions:

1. I currently have a R5 3600 paired with a 6700XT and a FSP Hydro GE 650 W 80+ Gold PSU. Would I be fine sticking with the same PSU or do I need to upgrade?

2. MY current air cooler is an ID Cooling SE-234 ARGB. If I want to stay with air coolers, would a Deepcool AK620 suffice for this CPU?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

anakha posted:

I just placed an order for a $248 5800X3D that likely got mispriced since the 5800X cost the exact same amount.

If they actually honor the purchase, I have a couple of questions:

1. I currently have a R5 3600 paired with a 6700XT and a FSP Hydro GE 650 W 80+ Gold PSU. Would I be fine sticking with the same PSU or do I need to upgrade?

2. MY current air cooler is an ID Cooling SE-234 ARGB. If I want to stay with air coolers, would a Deepcool AK620 suffice for this CPU?

Your current PSU is fine, and your current cooler likely is too. An AK620 is more than sufficient.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

Your current PSU is fine, and your current cooler likely is too. An AK620 is more than sufficient.

Welp, the seller cancelled the order because they 'ran out of stock'. Thanks for the advice though!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anakha posted:

Welp, the seller cancelled the order because they 'ran out of stock'. Thanks for the advice though!

I think it’s worth the extra $50 tbh

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I think it’s worth the extra $50 tbh

Yup, but where I live, the 5800X3D is priced at the equivalent of $330-$350. :smith:

Gonna wait for a sale/price drop to under $300 before going for it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there a viable way to have a mic setup with speaker audio where the mic isn't picking up the speaker audio. I'm trying to game with friends, but I cannot always use headphones, so an alternative would be nice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Is there a viable way to have a mic setup with speaker audio where the mic isn't picking up the speaker audio. I'm trying to game with friends, but I cannot always use headphones, so an alternative would be nice.

Having a directional rather than omnidirectional mic, maybe? Or maybe a Bluetooth earpiece (would just be mono sound, but you could hear and be heard)?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any decent cardioid mic should handle that fairly well, just need to get it setup such that your speakers are fully behind the mic. Basically the same thing you see streamers with, mic on a boom

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've got a good, easy one, I think.

Is there a matrix of chipset/cpu generations mapped to which PCI-E standard they are compatible with? I just realized I've completely lost track!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LRADIKAL posted:

I've got a good, easy one, I think.

Is there a matrix of chipset/cpu generations mapped to which PCI-E standard they are compatible with? I just realized I've completely lost track!

I'm not sure there's one convenient table but scrolling down towards the bottom of these wiki pages seems to show PCI-E lanes which is usually which kind and number:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_chipsets

I asked the bing chat bot to make a chart but it would only make a list up to Z87 so gently caress AI, what good is it.

quote:

Chipset PCIe Generation
Intel 925X Express PCIe 1.0
Intel 955X Express PCIe 1.0
Intel 975X Express PCIe 1.0
Intel P965 Express PCIe 1.1
Intel G965 Express PCIe 1.0
Intel Q965 Express PCIe 1.0
Intel X38 Express PCIe 1.1
Intel X48 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel P35 Express PCIe 1.1
Intel P45 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel X58 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel H55 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel H57 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel P55 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel Q57 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel H61 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel H67 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel P67 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel Z68 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel Z75 Express PCIe 3.0
Intel Z77 Express PCIe 3.0
Intel H81 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel B85 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel Q85 Express PCIe 2.0
Intel Q87 Express PCIe 3.0
Intel H87 Express PCIe 3.0
Intel Z87 Express PCIe 3.0

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the effort!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a laptop from an old job, I left this job around 7 months ago. It's a newer laptop, Latitude 5420. They haven't asked for it back yet, though I've talked to my old boss since my departure (not about the laptop, though).

Is it ill-advised to wipe it and throw Linux on it? There aren't any important documents on there. I don't even know if they're going to reach out at this point.

I'm happy to wipe it again if they do end up asking for it, I figured I'd ask in case there was something I hadn't considered that somebody else had experience with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Agoat posted:

I've got a laptop from an old job, I left this job around 7 months ago. It's a newer laptop, Latitude 5420. They haven't asked for it back yet, though I've talked to my old boss since my departure (not about the laptop, though).

Is it ill-advised to wipe it and throw Linux on it? There aren't any important documents on there. I don't even know if they're going to reach out at this point.

I'm happy to wipe it again if they do end up asking for it, I figured I'd ask in case there was something I hadn't considered that somebody else had experience with.

Does it have bitlocker on it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's still their property, and they could nail you for damage to company systems if you wipe it. I'm surprised they don't issue a remote freeze command to it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Does it have bitlocker on it?

I haven't even checked, I'm going to charge and check.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's still their property, and they could nail you for damage to company systems if you wipe it. I'm surprised they don't issue a remote freeze command to it.

I haven't opened it since I left, but I hadn't considered this. I'm going to reach out to my old boss and check in on it.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 5, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The things I would be concerned are if it has obviously been opened and/or had the hardware changed in any way, and if they wiped the whole drive including the "recovery partition" for Windows.

If the company's security is lax enough to allow users Admin access and not lock down their BIOS then it's probably lax in general.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you don't have to rip any stickers or anything to do it, or hack the bios or whatever, you could swap the drive for a cheap ssd and put anything on it you want. That would be reversible when necessary.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a similar Dell laptop from work, and I carefully peeled back a sticker in order to upgrade it from 8GB to 16GB of RAM. So far, so good - nobody has noticed. I also have Admin access, which I'm not sure I'm supposed to have but that I will fight to keep, particularly because I think I have a better grasp on security than the person doing most of our IT.

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you don't have to rip any stickers or anything to do it, or hack the bios or whatever, you could swap the drive for a cheap ssd and put anything on it you want. That would be reversible when necessary.

That's not a bad idea, but I know my machine has group policies set about stuff like updates (although I always run them manually way before the scheduled run) and we have a corporate antivirus/security suite that probably phones home some stuff, so I'd hesitate to do it on my own work machine. Of course mine is still actively used for work stuff, and hasn't been abandoned by my organization.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I ended up reaching out to my old boss, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Not sure when I could safely assume its abandoned, but I'm going to try a few more times at least.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Charging port for my laptop is acting up. The cable looks to be in decent shape, no wear and tear. Tried re-seating everything. I'm worried that the solder might be failing. What troubleshooting steps should I take? Or are there any, beyond getting a new motherboard/laptop.

E: specifically I think the solder might be failing because the plug has a bit of wiggle and I can see the charging light sometimes alternates between on and off when there is no movement.

OK more importantly is this a safety issue? it's a 230W power brick, don't want stuff or me getting zapped due to a lovely connection.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 7, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apologies for the double post

The cable was extremely hot right where it plugs in, so I shut everything down and disassembled it.

https://imgur.com/a/nEKiMiZ

It looks… fine? Way more robust than I expected. The power connector is under that black housing in the last picture but the housing isn’t obscuring anything- all the connections are present and appear undamaged, at least to my untrained eyes.

Some of the plastic housing on the charging cable plug has chipped off at some point. Could that be the issue?
I’ll be getting some isopropyl and see if I can clean the cable connector.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 7, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Get a replacement cable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LRADIKAL posted:

Get a replacement cable.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah it's on the way. The plug has a ridiculous amount of play in it though. Like 20 degrees of wiggle. Fingers crossed it works and doesn't give out for a while. I don't want to build a pc right now. Gpu prices are kinda dumb for 1440p at the moment and that's what I want.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah it's on the way. The plug has a ridiculous amount of play in it though. Like 20 degrees of wiggle. Fingers crossed it works and doesn't give out for a while. I don't want to build a pc right now. Gpu prices are kinda dumb for 1440p at the moment and that's what I want.

Agreed, I hope my GTX 1080 lasts for many more years.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I know it's not US pricing, (Denmark) but I recently saw a 6800 for 3500 dkk, which if you take off tax, works out at $405.
That's a fantastic price, to the point where I might buy one for the hell of it.

https://www.komplett.dk/product/1246179/hardware/pc-komponenter/grafikkort/msi-rx-6800-gaming-z-trio

Even is bundled with re4 remake

vv ok hell of a coincidence.. it's a steal of deal. for what it's worth, the rumours about 7800 are that it will have the same core config and amount of VRAM, for the 6800's original MSRP. So there'll be new features and probably higher clocks, but I'm not expecting it to be worth $174 more (or likely way more for the fancy partner cards)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 8, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Literally in Denmark, I gotta think about this, drat

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

vv ok hell of a coincidence.. it's a steal of deal. for what it's worth, the rumours about 7800 are that it will have the same core config and amount of VRAM, for the 6800's original MSRP. So there'll be new features and probably higher clocks, but I'm not expecting it to be worth $174 more (or likely way more for the fancy partner cards)

Ok, my fun money is allotted to vacation right now so I can’t put an entire system together right away. Is this the kind of deal that I won’t be able to find 4 months from now? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

I’m tempted because it’s the only reasonable price for a 16gb card I’ve seen.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ok, my fun money is allotted to vacation right now so I can’t put an entire system together right away. Is this the kind of deal that I won’t be able to find 4 months from now? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense.

I’m tempted because it’s the only reasonable price for a 16gb card I’ve seen.

I obviously don't know, but my guess is the 6xxx series stock is going to dry up pretty quickly and be replaced by new 7xxx cards which won't be at firesale prices. That'll probably happen within the next few months, but as far as I know we don't have a release date for 7700 or 7800 series yet

Edit: but when 7700 and 7800 do hit, they'll probably overprice them for the first few months, so it won't be a fair comparison price wise until late in the year. Of course, NVIDIA could have responded with price cuts or whatever else they have up their sleeve, that's just how the market rolls on

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 8, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I want to put a second ssd in my thinkpad t480 and there is a m.2 slot intended for a wwan card that can also fit a 2242 ssd. What is the best option for it?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
What do people do with their old computer bits (besides letting them sit in a box for decades)? I have things that were super cool 20 years ago like a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (with break out box!), or graphics cards, but now they just feel like junk. I checked ebay and there are plenty listed, there doesn't seem to be much demand.

Should I just send everything to a computer recycler?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What do people do with their old computer bits (besides letting them sit in a box for decades)? I have things that were super cool 20 years ago like a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (with break out box!), or graphics cards, but now they just feel like junk. I checked ebay and there are plenty listed, there doesn't seem to be much demand.

Should I just send everything to a computer recycler?

If you want to give it away I would make an SA-Mart post and say you're happy to ship it to anyone who pays for shipping. I'm sure there are lots of goons that are really into retro hardware and reusing stuff is a lot better than sending it to a recycler.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm moving to Hawaii in the near future, and planning only on taking some clothes and a few assorted items in a bunch of checked bags, maybe shipping a handful of flat rate boxes. A full on shipping container to move everything is just $$$$.

One thing I'm taking is my desktop, getting it there is much cheaper than building a new one, as much as I want to. I have all the foam bits and the box for the case so I will just encase it securely (gpu removed so it's not levering on the slot the whole time). It also has an AIO cooler and radiator for the cpu, should I remove that in case it decides to spring a leak?

In any case, would it be better to ship it, or check it and fly it out with me?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Whichever way is the most convenient, the risk of damage is about the same regardless. Ship it or pack it in a suitcase it is going to be thrown around, AIOs are ideal for that at least because they don't put significant mass on the socket.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

Whichever way is the most convenient, the risk of damage is about the same regardless. Ship it or pack it in a suitcase it is going to be thrown around, AIOs are ideal for that at least because they don't put significant mass on the socket.

This may be the first time I regret getting a full tower :v: Finding a suitcase to fit this monster might be a challenge, I had figured on just boxing it up and checking that, but yeah a suitcase would be another layer of protection.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Arrath posted:

This may be the first time I regret getting a full tower :v: Finding a suitcase to fit this monster might be a challenge, I had figured on just boxing it up and checking that, but yeah a suitcase would be another layer of protection.

You could consider leaving the case behind. Bring the components with you and buy a new case in Hawaii. Or buy the smallest case that fits the components for the transport. Could even use a temporary used case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question about large capacity (18tb+) HDD for local bulk storage.

Is there a difference using a NAS or "Datacenter" drive (WD Red, Ironwolf) as a local SATA drive?

I presume not, but I'm really not sure what the difference is.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

slidebite posted:

Is there a difference using a NAS or "Datacenter" drive (WD Red, Ironwolf) as a local SATA drive?

If you're just throwing them in a PC you won't notice a difference. NAS and datacenter hard drives usually just have longer warranties and are presumably built to be more reliable since they're used in equipment that could run continuously for years.

Though they might be a little noisier since nobody cares about that in server hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

slidebite posted:

Warranty length, QC checks, perhaps a few extra firmware features turned on. Some of the datacenter/nas drives may even have extra sensors/vibration dampening/etc.

Basically they *should* be more reliable on average than "desktop" class drives, but it costs extra.