Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I mean that worked out so well for Michelle Wie and quite a few other LPGA players amirite? Even Lydia Ko has had a phenomenal career so far but still kind of feels like an under performer based on all the hype when she was younger. It's pretty crazy how high people set their expectations on golfers when they are still teens.

The eldest son of the family that owns my home course is going to college in the fall and is going to be playing both golf and basketball. I've played golf with the kid since he was like 10 and seen how far he has come basically every year, and now if he doesn't shoot at least a few under par in a league night or totally carry a scramble team in a tournament people can't understand why. I'm almost thankful I didn't take up golf until I was in my mid 20s because of how much pressure there is with it being an individual sport and so many people not understanding that even the best players in the world have off days, or are going through swing changes, new equipment, whatever.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh I think it’s hard to say that Lydia Ko has underperformed anyone except maybe the remarkable expectations that she herself set. By the time she was Rose Zhang’s age she was already a hall of fame caliber player - she’d won like 12 or 13 tournaments and two majors.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.masters.com/en_US/info/tickets/index.html

Don't forget to sign up for everyone's yearly disappointment today!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Looking forward to my rejection email!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I'm going to get my dad and brother to sign up this year if I have to goto their houses and do it for them, even more chances for rejection!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

https://www.masters.com/en_US/info/tickets/index.html

Don't forget to sign up for everyone's yearly disappointment today!

A tradition unlike any other.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a pair of unopened 2002 Master's 4 day badges. Think they'll let me use those?

Anno
May 10, 2017

What’s the go-to site these days for good refurbished/used/found/whatever secondhand balls? I’m starting to run out of the stock I accumulated a few years back.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

What’s the go-to site these days for good refurbished/used/found/whatever secondhand balls? I’m starting to run out of the stock I accumulated a few years back.

https://www.lostgolfballs.com

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, I can stock up on K-Sigs with the Canadian equivalent of that site for cheap. Thanks for the heads up

Anno
May 10, 2017

Sweet! Thanks.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So...I'm not getting better, and I think once my package of lessons with this coach is done, I'm going to need to switch to someone else. I still can't hit my irons with any sort of consistency, and my driver only works because I do a weird little half-swing that keeps it in the fairway at 185-225 yards. My second shot just absolutely kills me; if it's 130-200 yards, I'm likely to duff my shot, and if it's within 130, I will no matter what end up 20-30 yards short. 130 to the green? I'll hit it 100. 60 yards? I'll end up hitting one 30. Every single drat time. I'm basically stuck shooting around 105-110 every time I go out.

I'm frustrated and venting, I know. Put three in the loving water on the same hole today, what the gently caress!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

So...I'm not getting better, and I think once my package of lessons with this coach is done, I'm going to need to switch to someone else. I still can't hit my irons with any sort of consistency, and my driver only works because I do a weird little half-swing that keeps it in the fairway at 185-225 yards. My second shot just absolutely kills me; if it's 130-200 yards, I'm likely to duff my shot, and if it's within 130, I will no matter what end up 20-30 yards short. 130 to the green? I'll hit it 100. 60 yards? I'll end up hitting one 30. Every single drat time. I'm basically stuck shooting around 105-110 every time I go out.

I'm frustrated and venting, I know. Put three in the loving water on the same hole today, what the gently caress!

How often do you play, and how often do you practice? Can you take some videos of your swing from behind the ball and directly in front of you and post it here? There's some real smart folks in here that can give you a few tips too, or at least diagnose where you're going wrong

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

Warning on lostgolfballs.com. Twice I've ordered 5A (near mint) and gotten refurbed balls instead. Refurbished balls suck, and they only acknowledged one of the two shipments were refurbished. 4A is a better bet, as the number that have logos or ball markings make it hard for them to pass off refurbished balls.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mederlock posted:

How often do you play, and how often do you practice? Can you take some videos of your swing from behind the ball and directly in front of you and post it here? There's some real smart folks in here that can give you a few tips too, or at least diagnose where you're going wrong

Looking at Golfshot, I've played nine 18s, two 9s, and one 14 (thank you Disney's Magnolia for being slow to finish your renovation), with the majority of these being in April and May. Scores have ranged from 111 to 98. I try to hit the range once a week. I've only managed two lessons this year: one in March, then a long delay due to the course being closed for the LIV event and then taking too long for our schedules to line back up with the next lesson being this past week. Next one won't be until July due to travel schedules and such.

I can take some videos and post them

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I noticed when I was going to the range a lot it hosed up what I thought were consistent iron shots. The bounce off the fake turf added 10-15 yards on clubs and made my on course feel dogshit. Are you hitting off real grass at the range?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Not emptyquoting.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Omne posted:

I’ve posted about this before as well, I had lessons from one guy and at $90 for an hour I felt like I didn’t come away with anything from him, so I went to someone else. Her method of grabbing my club while it was in my hands and walking it through the swing path was weird and did not work with me at all, but her just watching and verbally correcting my swing and confirming that I was closer this time and that time etc actually gave me enough to take down some notes immediately after and work with. But again, that only goes so far, and she wouldn’t take me to the chipping/putting greens for some reason so I probably won’t go back to her now either. Was kind of disappointing because I felt like I got a lot out of my first lesson with her, and drastically less the second lesson, but maybe I should try a couple more, I don’t know. I’m just gonna golf a lot this summer after these drat stitches in my finger come out and heal up.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Anno posted:

I'm kind of in the boat that I would rather buy super budget new balls than anything secondhand. Kirkand signatures or whatever. MaxFlis at Dick's seem fine.

Omne posted:

I would say don't hesitate to switch if you are not making the progress you want.

You could also try skillest. They have some very respected folks for very cheap sums. E.g. Dan Carraher for a $50 video analysis. I think the video works better for me. But I also have a camera setup at home, so I can get instant feedback that way.

I had a bit of a down nine holes today. Six greens in regulation! But 22 putts and 12 over! Including a three putt from 7 feet. Stupid game. Had a few real nice irons though.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 2, 2023

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mcqueen posted:

I noticed when I was going to the range a lot it hosed up what I thought were consistent iron shots. The bounce off the fake turf added 10-15 yards on clubs and made my on course feel dogshit. Are you hitting off real grass at the range?

The range is real grass, and they do a decent job of moving things around so the early morning crew has good grass to hit from

T-Square posted:

I’ve posted about this before as well, I had lessons from one guy and at $90 for an hour I felt like I didn’t come away with anything from him, so I went to someone else. Her method of grabbing my club while it was in my hands and walking it through the swing path was weird and did not work with me at all, but her just watching and verbally correcting my swing and confirming that I was closer this time and that time etc actually gave me enough to take down some notes immediately after and work with. But again, that only goes so far, and she wouldn’t take me to the chipping/putting greens for some reason so I probably won’t go back to her now either. Was kind of disappointing because I felt like I got a lot out of my first lesson with her, and drastically less the second lesson, but maybe I should try a couple more, I don’t know. I’m just gonna golf a lot this summer after these drat stitches in my finger come out and heal up.

I got lessons from him last year, as a gift from my wife. I felt he was engaged, would send me several videos after each lesson with analysis and suggestions, and I saw some improvement. This year, I don't feel the same, and at this point I feel I'm getting contradictory guidance (i.e. one lesson he wanted me to have my takeaway be way inside to help with rotation, and the next lesson he didn't want me to do that, to go more on plane). I have three lessons left in this package, and we're using two of them for an on-course playing lesson. I don't think I'll do this again next year with him. We've also not had any consistency, too long in between lessons and I think that's hurting me.

gvibes posted:

I would say don't hesitate to switch if you are not making the progress you want.

You could also try skillest. They have some very respected folks for very cheap sums. E.g. Dan Carraher for a $50 video analysis. I think the video works better for me. But I also have a camera setup at home, so I can get instant feedback that way.

I had a bit of a down nine holes today. Six greens in regulation! But 22 putts and 12 over! Including a three putt from 7 feet. Stupid game. Had a few real nice irons though.

I'll take a look at it Skillest, hadn't really considered that before

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Omne posted:

I'll take a look at it Skillest, hadn't really considered that before
In addition to Carraher ($50 I think), some others that are cheap and that have some videos on instagram or whatever that look decent are (haven't actually used them before):
https://skillest.com/app/profile/iain-lowdean-2 ($45)
https://skillest.com/app/profile/russell-heritage ($15)
https://skillest.com/app/profile/stephen-moore ($30)
https://skillest.com/app/profile/jonathan-staton ($50)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Omne posted:

I have three lessons left in this package, and we're using two of them for an on-course playing lesson. I don't think I'll do this again next year with him.

This is definitely something I’d take advantage of, I might try to find someone that does this by me. At the end of the day, someone telling you how to hit a ball off a turf mat isn’t gonna solve all your problems on the course, and I would love for an instructor to follow me for a few holes.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Story time.

This afternoon, I was playing a round with a buddy and a few randoms. I play off scratch and normally spot my buddy 8 strokes, but we didn't really discuss any wagers or a game to play - this worked out well because he played much better than he normally does. This round became about bragging rights for gross (not net) play.

We tied at +1 through 9, and he kept it steady with more pars until he finally made a bogey on 15. I birdied 10, bogeyed 12 and 13, and then doubled 15 to be 2 down with 3 to play. Not great from me, but it wasn't over.

My buddy has only beaten me once before (without receiving handicap strokes) out of literally hundreds and hundreds of rounds together, so this was a big moment for him.

Buddy hits his tee shot on 16 into a forest, drops, makes bogey. I make a comfy par. 1 down with 2 to play.

On 17, I flushed my tee shot on a tight driving hole but pushed it a little right towards some trees. My buddy overcorrects after seeing me go right and double crosses, finding the left rough. One of the randoms with us nuked his ball way right into the forest.

We get to my buddy's ball first, and he said, "Well, since you're in the trees, I'm gonna lay up [short of the creek in front of the green] and play for bogey at worst." I say, "I...don't know that I'm in the trees," and it's true because the hole is a gentle dogleg right, and my ball disappeared around a tree on its descent. This is in addition to the ever-present chance that my ball just bounces off a random limb and back into play.

From my buddy's position, I glance over to see one of the randoms poking around in the brush. He seems to have given up on looking for his ball, so I see him chip a ball back into play. I walk over to where I think my ball would be, and after a minute of looking, the random asks me what ball I'm playing. I tell him, "Titleist with green lines," and I notice there are 4 balls in the fairway with 3 players (me excluded) standing near them. He confirms the number on my ball, and I fist pump because drat what a bounce I got!

He picks my ball up and throws it back to me.

I ask him wtf he's doing, and he said, "Oh, I picked it up by mistake." Now, we're not playing an official tournament (and I sure as hell don't think this would happen in a tournament, nor how you would resolve the situation if it did), but I maintain my composure best I can and just ask him where my ball was. He gives me the "hotter/colder" treatment until I get about a foot from the undergrowth, and he says, "Right there, yep, right there."

I replace my ball, see a ridiculously risky window, and pull off a miracle shot. "Holy shits" and "oh my god wow" from the randoms, and even a begruding "I hate you" from my buddy. If you know the shot Phil hit at the Players where he didn't tell his caddy what he planned on doing beforehand, it was like that. I'm on the green.

Then my buddy says, "Well that's a par putt for you because you should have dropped just now to hit your 3rd." I disagree because the guy picked my ball up and told me where to place it, so I did and continued on. Buddy is confident that my ball went in, and that I was not replacing my ball - I was dropping for my 3rd. Then again, he's nervous as poo poo about choking this lead he's got, so I stay on him.

Being best friends for 20 years, we're chirpin back and forth at each other as we approach the green. My buddy missed the green with his 3rd, chipped to a few feet to secure a bogey, and I drat near make a 40 footer for my "birdie," and tap in for a par.

As soon as I replace the flag, the random says, "Well, that was a hell of a shot, but I don't know why you dropped there. Your ball was maybe 2 feet in to the trees, not where you hit from." At this point, I'm incredulous. I remind him that I placed the ball exactly where he told me to, at no point did he say that my ball was unplayable, and if he had, I would have dropped in a WAY more convenient spot that didn't require a ridiculously risky line.

They drop the word "integrity" on me, so I take a bogey and let them both know I wasn't happy about it. I hammer a drive 70 yards past my buddy on 18, he 3 putts for a bogey to give away his 1 shot lead and fall back into a tie with me at the end.

What would be the ruling here, goons?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Sounds like you would be taking an unplayable drop, and two club lengths would put you about where you played from, so playing three would be OK.

But, the rear end who told you where to drop can shut his mouth on "integrity". He played someone else's ball, never acknowledge that faux pax, led you to return your ball incorrectly, then played referee on his own mistake. Given that your ball was marked, and probably not even the same make/model as yours, his " mistake" would not have been revealed but for it being your ball.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The ruling is just leave the ball where it is unless you know it's yours. What a moron that guy is.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ask and ye shall receive. Here are some shots from my range session this morning. Something has become broken with my iron swings, and I can't find my way out of it

Line view: https://imgur.com/a/V7eK1Lt
Front view: https://imgur.com/a/wKUxmQd

I know some of my issues include a bit of chicken wing scoop action with my lead arm, and poor hip rotation (the more I try to focus on hip rotation, the more I top the ball). And no, I don't know why my face looks like I'm straining so hard, I'm really not

Omne fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 3, 2023

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Omne posted:

Ask and ye shall receive. Here are some shots from my range session this morning. Something has become broken with my iron swings, and I can't find my way out of it

Line view: https://imgur.com/a/V7eK1Lt
Front view: https://imgur.com/a/wKUxmQd

I know some of my issues include a bit of chicken wing scoop action with my lead arm, and poor hip rotation (the more I try to focus on hip rotation, the more I top the ball). And no, I don't know why my face looks like I'm straining so hard, I'm really not

I'm a bad player, but your grip looks very strong and your shoulders remind me of a driver swing setup. Whole thing reminds me of someone whos about to hump up on a driver or fairway wood.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
First round yesterday and I was throwing darts with my irons. 100 yard, 150, 180.....I had never hit my irons so well. Unfortunately my putting was atrocious. Think I totaled 40 for the 18 holes.......

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

I'm a bad player, but your grip looks very strong and your shoulders remind me of a driver swing setup. Whole thing reminds me of someone whos about to hump up on a driver or fairway wood.
I am also bad, but though left hand looks OK to me, right hand is, yeah, super strong.

I don't really have any great advice though. Hip movement doesn't look right (i.e., your left hip works to the ball in backswing but your right hip doesn't work away), but that is every amateur golfer basically. Including me. And I can't fix it.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

First round yesterday and I was throwing darts with my irons. 100 yard, 150, 180.....I had never hit my irons so well. Unfortunately my putting was atrocious. Think I totaled 40 for the 18 holes.......
I've been playing a super short par 3 course (like 1100-1200 yards) with my little kids. 15/18 greens the last two rounds! My scorecard said even yesterday but I think I missed a 3 putt somewhere.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This description of my home course is so accurate I am about 90% sure a friend of mine wrote it.
https://i.imgur.com/sNQgWXE.png
It has been around since 1908. When the greens were designed, the greens were sand, then approximately 1/2" grass, before converted to the Bermuda they are now. There are some radical slopes on small 60's style greens with grain that will absolutely affect a putt enough to miss. Some of the old members tell me the greens were not initially designed to be as fast as they are. I had a 36" birdie today on 11 break a foot then come back towards me before coming to rest.

That being said. I fear much less on the back 9 than I do on the front. The first 5 holes is easily the most difficult, both physically and mentally, stretch in town. There are hard holes on the back, but I'm playing it about 10 strokes better than on the front. I was hitting some flush balls all day today but the putter(again) is proving my nemesis. Right now, I am AVERAGING 40 putts per round at a 16.4 HCI hitting 60+% of fairways and ~40% GIR. I'm a bogey average and I feel like I am a much much better player than that, but I just don't know.

TLDR: My first putts are not even threatening the hole, either short, long, or an occasional bad stroke. Is there a way to practice distance control, possibly at home? I don't like having to make par from 15+ feet :(

e: I made some drawings out there with an I-pad red squiggles are the slope Green are the grain.

https://imgur.com/a/piqbcKQ

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 4, 2023

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Farking Bastage posted:

This description of my home course is so accurate I am about 90% sure a friend of mine wrote it.
https://i.imgur.com/sNQgWXE.png
It has been around since 1908. When the greens were designed, the greens were sand, then approximately 1/2" grass, before converted to the Bermuda they are now. There are some radical slopes on small 60's style greens with grain that will absolutely affect a putt enough to miss. Some of the old members tell me the greens were not initially designed to be as fast as they are. I had a 36" birdie today on 11 break a foot then come back towards me before coming to rest.

That being said. I fear much less on the back 9 than I do on the front. The first 5 holes is easily the most difficult, both physically and mentally, stretch in town. There are hard holes on the back, but I'm playing it about 10 strokes better than on the front. I was hitting some flush balls all day today but the putter(again) is proving my nemesis. Right now, I am AVERAGING 40 putts per round at a 16.4 HCI hitting 60+% of fairways and ~40% GIR. I'm a bogey average and I feel like I am a much much better player than that, but I just don't know.

TLDR: My first putts are not even threatening the hole, either short, long, or an occasional bad stroke. Is there a way to practice distance control, possibly at home? I don't like having to make par from 15+ feet :(

e: I made some drawings out there with an I-pad red squiggles are the slope Green are the grain.

https://imgur.com/a/piqbcKQ

In my experience, nothing beats putting on actual greens.

What I was taught was: putt a bunch 3-4 ft away. Once you can make 4 or 5 in a row, step back 5-6 feet and when you can put within a foot at 10 ft, 4 or 5 times in a row, scoot back another 5 ft. Rinse and repeat. That helped me and my son get a feel for the greens and putting distance.

Anno
May 10, 2017

1 for 1, and doing it the hard way in a playoff against a top 25ish player

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1665512618591698949

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Think that part of my putting issue is that a play lots of different courses and the green speeds/difficulty vary a lot. Friday I played a more upscale course (The Wilds in Prior Lake, MN) and the greens were far faster than I am used to. Saturday I played are couple of more average courses (Emerald Greens & Hidden Greens) and the greens were quite a bit slower. I just never managed to adjust. Fear of sending the ball past the cup to the other side of the green messed with me.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Think that part of my putting issue is that a play lots of different courses and the green speeds/difficulty vary a lot. Friday I played a more upscale course (The Wilds in Prior Lake, MN) and the greens were far faster than I am used to. Saturday I played are couple of more average courses (Emerald Greens & Hidden Greens) and the greens were quite a bit slower. I just never managed to adjust. Fear of sending the ball past the cup to the other side of the green messed with me.

Spending a good 20 minutes hitting 2', 3-4', 5-6', ~10', ~20', and both up and down the usual slope they have on the green is really worth the time invested before a round.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Mederlock posted:

Spending a good 20 minutes hitting 2', 3-4', 5-6', ~10', ~20', and both up and down the usual slope they have on the green is really worth the time invested before a round.

Yeah, I've got to start doing this more regularly. I typically manage to carve out some range time before a round, but I don't always leave enough time for chipping and/or putting. For whatever reason....I've found that the practice greens at a good number of courses don't really replicate the actual greens.

Anyways....excuses over. I don't dedicate enough time to working on putting and I need to change that. I've put quite a bit of time into finding a chipping stance and motion that works for me this spring....and results have been noticeable. Got to do the same with putting.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
For getting pace down, I do the putting green inside-out of normal "practice". I start with a twenty footer (3 balls) to get an idea on speed of the green, and putt out the results. A few of those before the first tee stick in my head pretty well. Of course, there are many courses where the practice green is not representative of the course.

If I'm actually practicing putting (a rare occurrence), I do as others have said, 4 footers, then out to 6', then 10'.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

gvibes posted:

I've been playing a super short par 3 course (like 1100-1200 yards) with my little kids. 15/18 greens the last two rounds! My scorecard said even yesterday but I think I missed a 3 putt somewhere.

All of my golfing pals are pretty new (Tbf I kinda am too) and a lot more casual than I am, so we’ve just been doing Saturday afternoons at this old townie bar out off the county highway that happens to have a rinky dink Par 3 9-hole course. Most of the holes are like 90 yards and the longest is barely over 150, and I’ve honestly been having a lot of fun walking in my bare feet and not giving a poo poo, and subsequently playing better golf, which turns around again and makes it more fun

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
A few golf-related items showed up on my slickdeals feed this morning.

Srixon 23* utility iron for $100

https://slickdeals.net/f/16696538-s...rspersed%3ATrue

Cobra King Tour MIM Irons 4-PW for $500. Somebody in the comments said the bronze/copper set will be $650

https://slickdeals.net/f/16696664-c...54513761ffc9da6

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

A few golf-related items showed up on my slickdeals feed this morning.

Srixon 23* utility iron for $100

https://slickdeals.net/f/16696538-s...rspersed%3ATrue

Cobra King Tour MIM Irons 4-PW for $500. Somebody in the comments said the bronze/copper set will be $650

https://slickdeals.net/f/16696664-c...54513761ffc9da6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2852248246...7Cclp%3A2047675

Ebay link(from the same seller) for the copper set, they're very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Someone told me custom Vice balls ship out of the EU and they are more lax about what gets printed on the balls.

Kind of want to test it to see how far I get: