Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Team Getting Victor
This poll is closed.
Pistons 7 17.07%
Spurs 14 34.15%
Rockets 2 4.88%
Blazers 4 9.76%
UCONN 6 14.63%
Other 8 19.51%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I would also like the Dallas Mavericks to acquire LeBron James. Should be simple enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Vegas, Seattle, move Memphis or Minnesota to the eastern conference?

This is by far the most likely outcome. I can’t see them expanding to an odd number of teams. Seattle has an IOU from the league for that screw job with the Thunder and everyone (particularly LeBron) wants to get in on the Vegas action, whether it’s sustainable or not.

The double expansion draft will be nuts and drive a ton of offseason engagement that the NBA thrives on.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1665732249856212993?s=46&t=zb1Bef_whRPPB7wveY2gEQ

monty's sweet embrace is going to heal stephen from the disease of the soul inflicted by coaching the rockets

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mexico city, montreal, honolulu

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

kingcobweb posted:

I’ve been saying that Memphis is the most spiritually Eastern of the three geographically reasonable options (the other being NOLA)

Minnesota has like 4 Eastern teams that are closer than any Western team and like 7 that are closer than all but OKC.

MN, Chicago and Milwaukee all belong in the same conference.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Vegas doesn't seem like a great home for a team. They already have an NFL, NHL, and likely MLB team now. Do they need another team, with not that big of a permanent population and now that you can gamble everywhere? After they put one team in Seattle they should put the other somewhere cool

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Guys we need a team in London. There was a time I thought it might actually happen...

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

no we do not. seattle neither

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think NBA will wait and see what that vote for MLB stadium funding. I don't know if their existing options are very good, are they?

Quizzlefish posted:

Guys we need a team in London. There was a time I thought it might actually happen...

Travel for that would be painful.

I think KC would be a good bet.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

As it stands right now it doesn’t seem likely that Vegas will get MLB. Seattle is definitely going to get the first team, the second one should go somewhere zany like Buffalo or Cincinnati

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ghost Dog posted:

no we do not. seattle neither

seattle is like the london of america if you think about it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Seattle apparently is in the upper half of merch sales which is wild for a team that doesn't exist.

I wonder how the Mexico City experiment is going, I'll admit I haven't paid close attention.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Seattle apparently is in the upper half of merch sales which is wild for a team that doesn't exist.

I wonder how the Mexico City experiment is going, I'll admit I haven't paid close attention.

Player feedback was negative but I am not sure that means much.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
KC is a nice geographic location and has an arena ready, but it would basically be a second Oklahoma City in terms of market size/appeal except with 2 other Big 4 teams already there (and one of them is good). I can't see it being a first option.

They would draft so many scrappy KU players in the second round every year, though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pittsburgh. I’m a good person and I deserve good things

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Vegas seems to be the thing that's always rumbled about. Seattle feels like a no-brainer... There's clearly already a base there.

Montreal actually has an arena and a hypothetically high amount of interest, but I never see it brought up on articles about expansion, plus I don't know how many players wanna live in Quebec.

Mexico City is one of those things that's just a dumb idea, even though the theoretical fan base/arena size makes empty brained suit-wearing types (but I repeat myself) salivate. It's too drat far, and you'd need to be a either kill conferences and only have divisions, or split North/South instead of East/West, and I don't think the league would do that.

They really need to move Minnesota to the other conference, though.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Give me a second Chicago franchise with an owner than actually cares about basketball please

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
If an expansion happens and teams are added, how do they fill out their rosters?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

If an expansion happens and teams are added, how do they fill out their rosters?

Expansion draft

These were the rules when the Horncats were added
https://www.nba.com/hornets/news/draft_central_expansion_rules_summary.html

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Give me a second Chicago franchise with an owner than actually cares about basketball please

Thats Milwaukee. It used to be a shorter drive for me to go to MIlwaukee than a 7pm Bulls game and I lived in Cook County.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

There's an expansion draft and teams are only allowed to protect a certain number of players so the expansion team(s) get their pick of end of the bench guys that teams didn't want or didn't want to pay. They also get a high draft pick.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Rick posted:

Anecdotal and from the opposite side of the state but most people I know 1) don't pay attention to the NBA because they're mad about the Sonics leaving and 2) own at least one Sonics shirt or hat because they miss the Sonics

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Veryslightlymad posted:

Mexico City is one of those things that's just a dumb idea, even though the theoretical fan base/arena size makes empty brained suit-wearing types (but I repeat myself) salivate. It's too drat far, and you'd need to be a either kill conferences and only have divisions, or split North/South instead of East/West, and I don't think the league would do that.

Mexico City gets a lot of hype until people realize (a) it's actually very far away and (b) it's at 7000+ ft altitude. Given the difficulty of attracting players to Canada in the NBA, I don't imagine a country where English isn't even the main language is going to be terribly appealing.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

There's an expansion draft and teams are only allowed to protect a certain number of players so the expansion team(s) get their pick of end of the bench guys that teams didn't want or didn't want to pay. They also get a high draft pick.

What happens to the teams whose players get drafted? Do they get additional draft picks or do they just have to raid the free agent market? Do the drafting teams assume the contracts as-is?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Montreal should have an all-Francophone roster.

I thought Seattle and Vegas within the next decade was pretty much a lock? Minnesota should definitely be prioritized as far as moving to the east because their travel has always been horrible.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dutchy posted:

Anecdotal and from the opposite side of the state but most people I know 1) don't pay attention to the NBA because they're mad about the Sonics leaving and 2) own at least one Sonics shirt or hat because they miss the Sonics

Absolutely true for the city itself. There’s basketball fans but they’re all transplants like me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
According to Shams, Kyrie has reached out to LeBron...wanting him to come to Dallas.

LMFAO Kyrie is the most delusional dude in sports and that says a LOT.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Given the rumored expansion fees and what we've seen in the NHL, they're coming out of the draft with real teams and it's going to gently caress up some rosters. Should be contending for the playin tournament by year 2 at latest.

My random guess: Anyone on a rookie contract and designated players are exempt, teams can choose to protect 2 players beyond the exemptions. No team can lose more than one player.

ETA:

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

What happens to the teams whose players get drafted? Do they get additional draft picks or do they just have to raid the free agent market? Do the drafting teams assume the contracts as-is?
I'll guess that teams with players selected will receive cap exceptions the same as if they were traded into cap space. Generally teams would not receive draft picks but I actually love that as a wrinkle for the teams of the first 4 players selected - lottery pick (8th best odds?) in a future draft, one per year in order of selection.

Contracts will definitely be assumed as-is.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 5, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paracaidas posted:

Given the rumored expansion fees and what we've seen in the NHL, they're coming out of the draft with real teams and it's going to gently caress up some rosters. Should be contending for the playin tournament by year 2 at latest.

My random guess: Anyone on a rookie contract and designated players are exempt, teams can choose to protect 2 players beyond the exemptions. No team can lose more than one player.

ETA:

I'll guess that teams with players selected will receive cap exceptions the same as if they were traded into cap space. Generally teams would not receive draft picks but I actually love that as a wrinkle for the teams of the first 4 players selected - lottery pick (8th best odds?) in a future draft, one per year in order of selection.

Contracts will definitely be assumed as-is.

the NBA is not a league where you are going to be able to build a team with players 9-15 as last time there was an expansion draft a team could protect 8 players. and NBA teams rarely go more than 10 deep in the regular season, and the 9 and 10 guys rarely see more than like a handful of minutes.

Hockey is a bit different, as like you have like 20-23 players, and most of them see some playing time. So if you have good scouting you can find dudes who can provide good ice time. NBA, I don't care how much you scout you are going to have a hard time putting together a "real" team with a roster made up of players 9-15 on an NBA roster. Could get lucky and find someone who just needs a different context to flourish. But that's hard to come by in the NBA.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 5, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you're over the cap you get a trade exception, I think it expires earlier than a regular one.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

yep, so its basically like those guys went to FA instead. The expansion draft happens in the offseason so its not terribly disruptive. You get to protect 8 guys so you're talking fringe rotation people getting selected, though every team has to have at least 1 unprotected, non RFA player available.

In the past you've had some interesting guys getting minutes early on as there are more unknowns at the end of the bench.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm trying to think, what would someone consider be the deepest team as far as talent in the NBA right now. I go to Boston, and I think Boston is right at 8 deep, as far as actual players.

Tatum, Brown, Smart, White, Horford, Willams, Timelord, Brogdon.

Jokic, Murray, Gordon, Porter Jr, KCP, Bruce Brown, Jeff Green, and lol whoever else to get to 8

Like it's dire out there once you get past the top 8 in almost every single team's rotation.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Supersonics are gonna have a starting backcourt of CP3 and Bradley Beal.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dexo posted:

the NBA is not a league where you are going to be able to build a team with players 9-15 as last time there was an expansion draft a team could protect 8 players. and NBA teams rarely go more than 10 deep in the regular season, and the 9 and 10 guys rarely see more than like a handful of minutes.

Hockey is a bit different, as like you have like 20-23 players, and most of them see some playing time. So if you have good scouting you can find dudes who can provide good ice time. NBA, I don't care how much you scout you are going to have a hard time putting together a "real" team with a roster made up of players 9-15 on an NBA roster. Could get lucky and find someone who just needs a different context to flourish. But that's hard to come by in the NBA.

Lockback posted:

If you're over the cap you get a trade exception, I think it expires earlier than a regular one.

yep, so its basically like those guys went to FA instead. The expansion draft happens in the offseason so its not terribly disruptive. You get to protect 8 guys so you're talking fringe rotation people getting selected, though every team has to have at least 1 unprotected, non RFA player available.

In the past you've had some interesting guys getting minutes early on as there are more unknowns at the end of the bench.

Thanks to you both. Yeah, I knew there was some protection, but I figured it was Top-5 or something. 9th man and beyond is pretty dire. I know about the success of the Golden Knights in hockey, but that seems pretty impossible in the NBA as described.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dexo posted:

the NBA is not a league where you are going to be able to build a team with players 9-15 as last time there was an expansion draft a team could protect 8 players. and NBA teams rarely go more than 10 deep in the regular season, and the 9 and 10 guys rarely see more than like a hansexdful of minutes.
I agree - my comment was more that with the money they're reportedly charging as an expansion fee, I don't think you're going to see teams getting to protect 8 again. "Join the league as a rebuilding team, except without any assets" doesn't sound like a $4 billion sales pitch. I expect they'll have every opportunity to compete and to do it early... but I've been wrong (many times about many things) before

ETA: Is top 8 enshrined anywhere or is that just what happened last time, with a fee that'll be less than 10% of this franchise's?

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 6, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Take a look at who was drafted in the last few nba expansion drafts, it's pretty grim.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dexo posted:

I'm trying to think, what would someone consider be the deepest team as far as talent in the NBA right now. I go to Boston, and I think Boston is right at 8 deep, as far as actual players.

Tatum, Brown, Smart, White, Horford, Willams, Timelord, Brogdon.

Jokic, Murray, Gordon, Porter Jr, KCP, Bruce Brown, Jeff Green, and lol whoever else to get to 8

Like it's dire out there once you get past the top 8 in almost every single team's rotation.

You’re just afraid of a team starting Zeke Nnaji. He’s too powerful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Supersonics are gonna have a starting backcourt of CP3 and Bradley Beal.

At least part of why I'm so interested in expansion is I want to see if a team doesn't protect a max guy. And then what happens if they don't get taken.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm trying to think what well paid player wouldn't get protected.

CP3, might be the highest profile one. I guess Ben Simmons lol, and probably Johnathan Issac.
Maaaybe Randle? but like the Knicks don't really have 8 players other than him to protect.

Lavine/Beal and those in that tier would all get protected because a team could get value for them even if they did want to get rid of them.

Edit: Oh and Jordan Poole maaaybe?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i'll do it. i';ll enter the expansion draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wouldn't a theoretical expansion draft be like 3 years away?

By then it'll be James Harden.