Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't like the comedy in my comedy podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s what they’re doing

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Am I just reading way too much into this, or is it being very carefully suggested on WOR and WOL that WWE started the rumor of AEW getting a billion dollar deal just so they could then use that rumor as "evidence" of how other wrestling promotions can succeed so therefore the judge should throw out MLW's lawsuit against them?

You will never be able to out carny the WWE

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love all the stories of media execs and whoever meeting with vince expecting like, a human, and getting completely carnied. And then Vince sitting down with the sheikhs and expecting a carny and getting his roster taken hostage

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I may have just blanked it out because it was getting boring but now that I think about it they didn’t seem to talk about anything more recent than like a decade ago, so the whole Saudi thing and the events that culminated in his retirement and return were completely omitted other than “he’s back in charge and has a terrible moustache” at the end

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RNLF25W164

lol james and jawnny quickly abandon wrestling and transform the game into tony hawk's pro skater

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
My opinion on aew is rapidly diverging from Dave and Bryan. They were pretty down on last night's dynamite which blows my mind. Add Bryan saying he loves nxt and that spells disaster at sacrifice.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NXT has been Bryan’s favourite show for a while now, at least since around when Vince first went away

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Am I just reading way too much into this, or is it being very carefully suggested on WOR and WOL that WWE started the rumor of AEW getting a billion dollar deal just so they could then use that rumor as "evidence" of how other wrestling promotions can succeed so therefore the judge should throw out MLW's lawsuit against them?

This hadn't occurred to me. I took it more as Dave saying "people are running wild with our speculation". But I was probably only half-listening at that point because ratings chat is dire.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

They were pretty down on last night's dynamite which blows my mind.

no they weren;t

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dango Bango posted:

This hadn't occurred to me. I took it more as Dave saying "people are running wild with our speculation". But I was probably only half-listening at that point because ratings chat is dire.

It was based on a Wade Keller report that everyone else re-reported without doing due diligence. And it was before the ratings chat part, it was when they were talking about the MLW lawsuit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ice assed again...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan on B&V telling Dave stories about how he gets into GCW shows (and how he DOESN'T get into Ringo Starr shows) :lol:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m Dave Meltzer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m Dave Meltzer

"And just like that, he's disappeared into the mass of people...."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
WOL's free YouTube stream is ending today.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dave totally derailing the intro on 5/30 was tremendous audio.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Bryan liking NXT and it being his favorite show is a bit.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

yeah thats what dave is suggesting

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I love novel legal arguments more than I hate WWE. Planting outlandish numbers is funny and I hope they did it.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1665569134304952321
The former Leonard F. Chikarason is the guest. This is niche but fantastic if you ever cared about Chikara.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The former Leonard F. Chikarason is the guest. This is niche but fantastic if you ever cared about Chikara.

Joe's own podcast with At Odds With wrestling with Adam Van is worth a listen, too.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Regarding the Behind the Bastards Vince episodes...

Occasionally they'll do a subject where Robert and his guest basically switch places, with the guest doing the research/most of the narration, and Robert reacting. I feel like a Vince deep dive would definitely have benefited from that, since Robert was basically unaware of anything but the most surface level details of the wrestling industry.

In stead, you had Robert constantly getting distracted by crazy stories like Jerry Graham going berserk in a hospital. It didn't help that his co-hosts were more interested in laughing along and sharing his own crazy stories. I was really looking forward to all of this, but they really dropped the ball.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finished it yesterday and I was also pretty disappointed with the whole thing after how much hype there was for it initially. I learned some things but mostly about like the von erichs and Andre. The cohosts were always frustratingly interrupting him because I guess they just did this on zoom or something with a bad connection and there was enough delay to make them talk over each other constantly. It wasn't bad I just think there could have been a lot trimmed because he really meandered around random wrestling stories for a lot of the episodes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

explosivo posted:

Kinda meh on the Vince BtB so far?

Yeah, this was a bummer. It was still an enjoyable listen as someone who has never listened to the show before, but they got a lot of stuff just outright wrong or didn't really manage to convey why it was hosed up. Like when they were talking about Bret's exit from the WWF, they didn't mention that Vince himself had signed Bret to effectively a lifetime contract and then tried to break the contract any way he could, so it wasn't "Bret won the WWF title and then wanted to go to WCW", like they told it. And they also didn't mention that Bret had some creative control written into his contract for his last days, which once again shifts blame onto Vince. This wasn't a big star wanting to jump ship and being a diva about it, this was Vince pushing a reluctant Bret out the door while being determined to gently caress him over as badly as possible on the way, despite Bret doing him a favour by letting him break the contract.

Like others mentioned, I really wish they would've skipped some of the backstory because they seem to have left a lot of modern day Vince poo poo just completely undiscussed.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The podcast disappointments keep coming!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

gently caress that’s my afternoon derailed

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

my day ruined

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is anyone else unable to click any links on the f4wonline website on mobile? Can't load up the podcasts because of it. Guessing it's a messed up ad.

e: of course I post about it and that's the time it finally starts working once I try again

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Things I enjoyed from the Vince podcast:

Jimmy Snooka

The Iron Shake

The Montreal Screwjob that happened in Calgary

Friday Night Raw

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

If anything, the BtB dropping the ball on the Vince episodes got me to get the audiobook for Ringmaster

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Majinfoose posted:

If anything, the BtB dropping the ball on the Vince episodes got me to get the audiobook for Ringmaster

xpost from the WWE thread

Whoolighams posted:

completed the Vince Ringmaster book, not bad but felt unfinished, a lot of taking what wrestlers say as fact when they should know better but otherwise accurate and decently interesting. they could've done a lot more and for some reason ended it with his reveal as the higher power

it has the worst example of "audiobook narrator doesn't know the subject matter" I've ever heard (which is all over wrestling books not read by the author): nWo pronounced as "en-whoa"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Are we not supposed to pronounce it N-whoa

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They called it that because it’s the sound Hogan makes every time he notices there’s a camera approaching

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

They called it that because it’s the sound Hogan makes every time he notices there’s a camera approaching

:drat: brother

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Whoolighams posted:

xpost from the WWE thread

Thanks for the heads up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are we not supposed to pronounce it N-whoa

Booker T tried that o-

Nevermind, this is a much better joke.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am not subscribed to the $10 VoW tier but I saw a snippet of the CHIKARA article Rich posted about going to Wrestling is Art with 7 other people in the crowd and it seems well worth the read if you are subscribed.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it's good but it was too nice to CHIKARA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

it's good but it was too nice to CHIKARA

Should have known Rich is too soft.