Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I thought this looked weird when he was moving about. McPoyle vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

"It's kind of telling nobody presenting this is actually wearing one."

it's probably not done yet and will work at half the capacity advertised and need to be tethered constantly to get any real power and performance; it feels like this was going to bake for a while longer but AI happened and everyone is jettisoning what they were doing with VR to let it sit in the market while they get their AI stuff into competition

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"If we lock the features now, we can finally ship it and then forget about it and laugh about it like google glass in 2 years"

And yeah there's probably an engineering prototype held together with literal duct tape they were able to put in front of Chris Cook for 90 seconds in a basement somewhere that gave them the legal legs to present this as a viable product

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can the average dev group start working on any content for it, or is everything still effectively locked down till next year?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Did they show any footage of the visionOS running on actual device or though lenses shots? Also what's the display refresh rate?

Also those eyes somehow look much creepier that a simple opaque cover.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It sucks that despite VR being cool as hell nobody knows what the gently caress to do with it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

It sucks that despite VR being cool as hell nobody knows what the gently caress to do with it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All these VR announcements lately makes me think of how Microsoft really botched the advertising for the Xbox One cause all they talked about was all of its non gaming functions instead of talking at all about the games like anyone who is interested in one would give a gently caress about those things.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there any word whatsoever on the Valve Index 2? I feel that may be our last hope for a full-fledged VR gaming experience.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm finding hilarious how people on Internet are defending the price/size/features with this graph. I'm just thinking "they don't know!"

They don't know the exact same argument and image has been used (abused, at this point) by VR evangelists for the last seven years. And I say that as owner of a VR headset.
"it's going slow, but later it will ramp up, you will see!". No it doesn't work like that, just because is a new tech and it starts slow it doesn't mean that new tech is FATED to reach mainstream popularity like smartphones.
If you think about it, all new tech starts slow, including the ones that end up failing. So it doesn't prove anything!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's a long post to say "survivor bias"

I like just saying "3D TV"

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm finding hilarious how people on Internet are defending the price/size/features with this graph. I'm just thinking "they don't know!"

They don't know the exact same argument and image has been used (abused, at this point) by VR evangelists for the last seven years. And I say that as owner of a VR headset.
"it's going slow, but later it will ramp up, you will see!". No it doesn't work like that, just because is a new tech and it starts slow it doesn't mean that new tech is FATED to reach mainstream popularity like smartphones.
If you think about it, all new tech starts slow, including the ones that end up failing. So it doesn't prove anything!

Yeah if it was going to go mainstream, quest 2 was it. Console priced standalone VR with every feature needed for a good enough experience included. Customizable as hell, and works with PCVR?

Maybe we'll see something come in tech wise that makes it more appealing, but I don't think the small improvements of Quest 3 are gonna cut it, especially if they come with a price bump.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
"dual 4k screens"

just lol that a M2 chip is gonna power dual 4k screens at 90hz to avoid motion sickness under any load at all

and okay, lets say that somehow it could power that. Where's that heat going?

coming from someone who blows money on dumb poo poo, what a loving stupid product

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
youre going to have to sideload the quest operating system to actually play any games on this, huh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tehinternet posted:

"dual 4k screens"

just lol that a M2 chip is gonna power dual 4k screens at 90hz to avoid motion sickness under any load at all

coming from someone who blows money on dumb poo poo, what a loving stupid product

The math checks out to "dual 3.6k screens" 4k seems wishful thinking

The fact that they show a tether looping off into someone's baggy pockets and not a belt/belt-clip mounted device sort of implies they're going to offload a lot of the TDP to some M2 MAX ULTRA VR77.2 VISION PRO+ chip that lives at the end of that tether Apple seems to want to hang themselves with. The tether gives them a lot of "out" to design their way out of the very small prison box they've created for themselves

"chatgpt, write me a press release to explain to shareholders that we've decided to go in a different direction for vr products"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I always thought Meta should try to made a deal with James Cameron and put Avatar and Avatar 2 in 3d in their tv ecosystem.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Hadlock posted:

That's a long post to say "survivor bias"

I have a Sony KDL55W950B because I am an idiot and thought games with stereoscopic 3d (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, as an example) would play at 60 FPS due to the 120 Hz panel. Wrong. I was capped at 1080p@60 and the 3d halves the frame rate, so 3d games are 30 FPS.

On the other hand, citra supports 3d SBS and I can play ocarina of time in 3d on a 55" screen so it isn't all bad. A hell of a lot more comfy than using my 3ds.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

"chatgpt, write me a press release to explain to shareholders that we've decided to go in a different direction for vr products"

pretend you are chris cook, ceo of apple and on a shareholder conference call. you are about to read a statement prepared by your lawyers about how apple has decided to pivot away from virtual reality to focus on siri and other AI assisted products

ChatGPT posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed shareholders of Apple Inc., thank you for joining us today on this significant conference call. I, Chris Cook, the CEO of Apple, would like to address an important strategic decision that the company has made. Please allow me to read a statement prepared by our legal team.

"Dear shareholders,

First and foremost, we want to express our gratitude for your unwavering support throughout Apple's journey. Today, I stand before you to discuss a pivotal change in our strategic direction. The following statement has been prepared by our legal team, and I will read it verbatim.

Apple has always been at the forefront of innovation, consistently striving to bring revolutionary products and experiences to our customers. Over the years, we have explored various technologies and product categories to deliver the best possible user experience.

After careful evaluation and deliberation, Apple has decided to redirect its focus away from virtual reality (VR) and towards advancing Siri and other AI-assisted products. This decision aligns with our commitment to delivering intelligent, intuitive, and personalized experiences to our users.

While virtual reality has shown tremendous promise, our analysis indicates that the market dynamics and evolving consumer needs call for a shift in our strategic priorities. Our decision to pivot away from VR is driven by our desire to invest more heavily in developing Siri, our voice-enabled virtual assistant, and other AI-driven products and services.

Siri has been an integral part of the Apple ecosystem, providing users with a seamless and intuitive way to interact with their devices. We believe that AI, in combination with voice recognition technology, holds incredible potential to revolutionize how users engage with their devices, access information, and control their surroundings.

By doubling down on AI and enhancing Siri's capabilities, Apple aims to create a more intelligent, intuitive, and personalized user experience across our product lineup. This strategic shift will enable us to leverage AI technologies to their fullest potential and deliver innovative solutions that meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers.

While we understand that this announcement may raise questions and concerns, we assure you that this decision is rooted in extensive research, analysis, and a deep understanding of the evolving technology landscape. Apple remains committed to pushing the boundaries of innovation and delivering exceptional value to our shareholders.

We appreciate your continued support as we embark on this exciting new chapter in Apple's journey. Thank you for your trust and confidence in our vision for the future.

Now, I would like to open the floor for any questions or clarifications you may have regarding this strategic decision."

Thank you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A bit of reddit posting:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Hadlock posted:

The math checks out to "dual 3.6k screens" 4k seems wishful thinking

The fact that they show a tether looping off into someone's baggy pockets and not a belt/belt-clip mounted device sort of implies they're going to offload a lot of the TDP to some M2 MAX ULTRA VR77.2 VISION PRO+ chip that lives at the end of that tether Apple seems to want to hang themselves with. The tether gives them a lot of "out" to design their way out of the very small prison box they've created for themselves

they don't seem to have anything but power at the end of the tether. or i guess more precisely they haven't announced anything other than power at the end of the tether - either an apple-specific(?) usb-c battery, or an adapter hooked to a wall outlet. there's no information on any kind of tether to a computer, other than the trick where it can show a macbook's screen in VR.

also having looked at the apple site on it they are definitely using 4k in reference to the standard tv/film resolution and not actual 4000x4000 displays. they say each eye gets more pixels than a 4k display, which is technically true (9mp vs 11.5).

"under 12ms" is making me wonder what the actual refresh is on these. that'd mean 83.3Hz if taken literallly; i guess 12 is a cooler sounding number than 11.1 (90Hz).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

parasyte posted:

they don't seem to have anything but power at the end of the tether. or i guess more precisely they haven't announced anything other than power at the end of the tether - either an apple-specific(?) usb-c battery, or an adapter hooked to a wall outlet. there's no information on any kind of tether to a computer, other than the trick where it can show a macbook's screen in VR.

They also didn't explicitly exclude compute from being on the other end of that cable which is the premise I'm operating on. That cable seems awfully thick, almost 1980s era vibes thick, given that USB-C PD goes to 50v now which would allow for a laughably thin cable

The presentation said 23 million pixels which maths out to 3600x3600 although I suppose they could be using a 16:9 aspect, totally bespoke, custom display chip for VR. They didn't mention FOV at all from what I recall

90 hz tracks for a 1st gen Apple vr product

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

tehinternet posted:

that nuclear powered dog in snowcrash had cooling vents it would extend maybe they'll do that

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I checked out some mass tech sites to see what the comment sections were saying about the reveal.

They’re oddly positive for the most part. Craziest thing is that I think it’s not so much Apple’s reality distortion field as it is the utter failure of the VR industry to properly market this poo poo. Tons of upvoted comments about how “the best PCVR headset is the Index for $1000 and it can’t do any of this”.

Also lots of “Quest 3 is dead” comments which are just :psyduck:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i just cant take a 3500 headset with a battery pack that you have to carry that only has two hours of battery life and theres no controllers and probably no games seriously

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Buy one it's an investment. Which reminds me I should get a juicereo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Buy one it's an investment. Which reminds me I should get a juicereo.

edit:

" VR Megathread: Buy a $3500 Apple headset, it's an investment. "

?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
200 new posts, let me guess: Apple invented VR?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zero VGS posted:

$3500 2 hour battery life

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

It's funny how they showed Avatar 2, which is longer than 2 hours.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

edit:

" VR Megathread: Buy a $3500 Apple headset, it's an investment. Which reminds me I should get a juicereo. "

?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Zero VGS posted:

They have over 5000 patents! You've never seen anything like it!

Someone put Rony Abovitz on suicide watch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao
https://twitter.com/LolOverruled/status/1665825460863877120

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Hahahahahahaha

Big oof indeed

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I can't help but feel like VR/AR is starting to go the way of 3d tv's...

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I remember when people on reddit r/magicleap were talking about the price before they announced it and people were like "man I hope it's 300, if it's 400 it's going to be a tough sell"

It was $2300

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Meowywitch posted:

Looks like 1990's Apple is back on the menu!

Positively Pippin-tier.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i bet that little pack heats up something fierce so you get to say "i literally have 3500 bucks burning a hole in my pocket"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

i bet that little pack heats up something fierce so you get to say "i literally have 3500 bucks burning a hole in my pocket"

Hooking up a Quest 1 to an Anker powerbank in a pocket is something I've done, but it is absolutely the Least Apple decision imaginable that I've seen since the time they released the battery hump case for the iPhone. I get the reasoning, but Apple completely loses their mystique when they're forced to choose Practical over Pretty. They taught their customer base to shun minor annoyances like this in exchange for rounded corners, figuratively and literally.

It doesn't help that they have some of the worst cable strain relief I've seen in two decades of IT. That wire is gonna fall the gently caress apart so fast.

At least they made the power cable for the iMac transparent so I could see it internally arcing in realtime.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Al! posted:

i just cant take a 3500 headset with a battery pack that you have to carry that only has two hours of battery life and theres no controllers and probably no games seriously

We don't know that at $3500 it comes with the battery pack, do we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw