Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

"oh no" posted:

Radio War Nerd EP #374 — Understanding Putin, with Philip Short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
i swear they complain about putinologists all the time, this better be loving good

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mark Ames seemed pretty close this episode to asking if Hemedti was a fremen.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

runaway pancake posted:

i swear they complain about putinologists all the time, this better be loving good

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I feel like I'd have to read the book to really judge, the guy came off better than I expected for "former bbc correspondent" but that's a low bar

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

there were some sweeping generalities of soviet era daily life that seemed a bit weird

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the bit about Putin not doing the apartment bombings and the CIA and MI6 supporting that felt like a missed opportunity for Mark and John to probe further on why Short feels so differently about the subject than most (all?) of his other Western biographers. it was getting there but never went as far as I wanted, maybe the book itself goes deeper.

The end was funny too - do you think Putin might use nukes? Well probably not but you never know, maybe! Real enlightening stuff there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m trying that Anthony Bourdain show and I think a John Dolan travel vlog would be interesting. Dude is in a different country every month somehow even though he’s constantly injured and now old. He got ran out of Indonesia, that’s gotta be some street cred.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Putin episode was less bad than I feared and I like the BBC guy, but honestly why is every foreign corespondent who doesn't get the locals to bitch about Brezhnev convinced that he discovered the fabled totalitarism? You're the last guy they are going to talk to! The KGB is turning over your garbage bins!

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

skooma512 posted:

I’m trying that Anthony Bourdain show and I think a John Dolan travel vlog would be interesting. Dude is in a different country every month somehow even though he’s constantly injured and now old. He got ran out of Indonesia, that’s gotta be some street cred.

There was an episode of No Reservations where Bourdain went to Italy and some locals had them out on the water while a snorkeler was diving for shellfish and octopus, etc. but there was another local on the boat throwing fish from the market into the water for the snorkeler. That evening they made a meal out of the day's "catch." I can see this happening to The War Nerd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

There was an episode of No Reservations where Bourdain went to Italy and some locals had them out on the water while a snorkeler was diving for shellfish and octopus, etc. but there was another local on the boat throwing fish from the market into the water for the snorkeler. That evening they made a meal out of the day's "catch." I can see this happening to The War Nerd

wait what? he was diving for oysters and coming up with frozen tilapia?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

i say swears online posted:

wait what? he was diving for oysters and coming up with frozen tilapia?

I remember a guy on the boat throwing a dead octopus into the water and the snorkeler pretended he caught it

e: it was in Sicily lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dolan would get attacked by the frozen octopus

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
bourdain speaking about the food hes enjoying while john talks about how he almost died

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Clark Nova posted:

Allergic reaction and reactivated octopus. Despite all this, he'll be in Tangier next month.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh dear. age really creeps up on you, mark. staring at the departure board i accidentally mistook 'khartoum' for 'restroom' and now katherine has joined the janjaweed

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

oh dear. age really creeps up on you, mark. staring at the departure board i accidentally mistook 'khartoum' for 'restroom' and now katherine has joined the janjaweed

lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
The Kremlinology episode was really bad, he's the exact kind of guy they used to make fun of at the exile. I don't mind guests with dissenting/differing opinions as long as they are interesting.

I think the boys are at their best when they're talking about stuff where they aren't directly involved.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not sure about the last guy they had on. Did we ever get any solid proof that it was the Russians that hacked the mails or really that it was Northkorea that hacked Sony? Guess I'd have to read the book. From the interview we have the Israelis handing out tje emails while claiming they took them off the Russians. And I'd guess there's another place they could have gotten them from.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

new ep up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The Kremlinology episode was really bad, he's the exact kind of guy they used to make fun of at the exile. I don't mind guests with dissenting/differing opinions as long as they are interesting.

I think the boys are at their best when they're talking about stuff where they aren't directly involved.

I just came across a book that would combine some of their best stuff from the past two years, Italy and the ACW: Civil War and Agrarian Unrest: The Confederate South and Southern Italy

Between 1861 and 1865, both the Confederate South and Southern Italy underwent dramatic processes of nation-building, with the creation of the Confederate States of America and the Kingdom of Italy, in the midst of civil wars. This is the first book that compares these parallel developments by focusing on the Unionist and pro-Bourbon political forces that opposed the two new nations in inner civil conflicts. Overlapping these conflicts were the social revolutions triggered by the rebellions of American slaves and Southern Italian peasants against the slaveholding and landowning elites. Utilizing a comparative perspective, Enrico Dal Lago sheds light on the reasons why these combined factors of internal opposition proved fatal for the Confederacy in the American Civil War, while the Italian Kingdom survived its own civil war. At the heart of this comparison is a desire to understand how and why nineteenth-century nations rose and either endured or disappeared.

The first systematic comparison of aspects of the American Civil War with a contemporaneous civil war in another country: Italy

Utilizes the comparison between the Confederate States of America and the Kingdom of Italy to shed light on the reasons for the rise (and survival or fall) of nineteenth-century nations

Provides a valuable contribution comparative history and the study of nineteenth-century nationalism and nation-building

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:17 on May 26, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

anemic!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow my dude finally brought Pleasant Hell back for sale

https://www.johndolanwrites.com/store/p/the-war-nerd-newsletters-package

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I love when Dolan couldn't help himself and had to correct Aamer that the quote was from von Clausewitz not Bismark.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

adebisi lives posted:

I love when Dolan couldn't help himself and had to correct Aamer that the quote was from von Clausewitz not Bismark.
Just heard that and was counting down from 10 in my head.

Loved the last one about the punitive expedition, it's like the US sending soldiers to interfere in the Russian civil war in the next year, with equal success. Totally memory holed, I vaguely knew that Villa did some poo poo on American soil but didn't know much beyond that, and for some reason never thought about it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I knew that they basically fruitlessly hosed around for a bit with some famous and soon-to-be famous people pissing about, but I hadn't considered the military toy testrun angle before.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mike Duncan did a series on the Mexican revolution that covered a lot of Pancho Villa that I remember being decent

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

enjoying the listing of all the football hooligan firm names

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Annibal97783312/status/1666903097057107977#m

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gently caress yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

radio warned

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a piece of writing i often return to because it makes me laugh is john dolan's review of a million little pieces, entitled, a million pieces of poo poo: https://exiledonline.com/a-million-pieces-of-poo poo/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think about that part with the beaver and chuckle every so often

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I remember that some 10 years back or so Frey was basically the owner of a writer sweatshop churning out cheap, steady ghost-written workpiles. Not gonna google it and get depressed, but I'd bet my ring finger that he's deep into chatGTP, crypto and other scams presently.

And, on that cheeerful note!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oprah making him eat poo poo on tv was cool though, it’s like the only time a tv personality acted like a journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

an hour and forty minutes of Annibale talking about nukes. it’s Christmas in June