Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

maybe hadlock ran out and bought a citation....

reports saying it left a crater at the impact site, must of been drat near vertical

No, I'm still around. I'm looking into this new Harrier Jet technology though, looks like it could cut flight time to tahoe in half and won't need to worry about getting an S rating on my license either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spaced God posted:

Literally every device everyone here is thinking of is undone by "you have eight seconds to do something before you die and some people will feel so loving awesome in those eight seconds they want to do nothing"

Nightmare blunt hypoxia rotation.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Garmin's autoland system is available for relatively small planes. It wouldn't take much to add pressure monitoring to the system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Guess we need this video again. They are telling Destin that he is about to die and needs to put his oxygen mask back on and he is sitting there smiling and saying "I don't want to die" while not doing anything. This is with him having the knowledge that he's going to be in a depressurized environment. If you slowly slip into hypoxia, you just don't know until it's too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw

These planes definitely need something that starts blaring an alarm when the cabin pressure is dropping before it's too late.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seems odd that a depressurization event doesn't automatically emit a distress beacon of some sort

My boat has a $400 EPIRB (distress beacon) mounted about 3' above the floor if it gets wet it'll float off it's mount and 30 seconds later starts transmitting a distress beacon on ~415mhz that I can manually cancel. Every commercial ship since ~1982 has had the same device. I can't imagine a pressure sensor is that much more cost on a private jet

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Where do the masks come from in the cockpit? They don’t drop from the ceiling because there’s a bunch of switches and stuff up there, right? I guess what I’m asking is - is the optimal time to put on a mask longer for the pilot versus the passengers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

david_a posted:

Where do the masks come from in the cockpit? They don’t drop from the ceiling because there’s a bunch of switches and stuff up there, right? I guess what I’m asking is - is the optimal time to put on a mask longer for the pilot versus the passengers?

There are considerations for this.

The masks themselves are much nicer than the cup & bag affairs in steerage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLETHLv_0vk

It used to be that if one pilot stepped out of the cockpit at cruise altitude, the other had to don a mask as a precautionary measure, but that is no longer in the regs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I don't want to make a definitive statement since I don't know every single aircraft in the world, but I can't imagine a pressurized aircraft not having a cabin pressure alarm, especially one designed to carry passengers.

david_a posted:

Exact placement is going to vary by aircraft model, but they'll have a mask within arm's reach that can be donned in a matter of seconds if needed. The entire point is that if you have a rapid decompression you can get your mask on within your time of useful consciousness.

e: those quick-don oxygen masks are exactly as fun as they look in that video. Using the air pressure to actuate the head straps is an extremely elegant solution, and it makes it literally as fast as putting on a hat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, aren't the flight crew oxygen masks actually from a bottled source of oxygen that will last while the ones in the cabin are simple chemical generators that run out after a few minutes of runtime?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
there was an airbus that had a windshield failure at 30k+ feet and the copilot got halfway sucked out. the pilot couldn't get to his mask because he would have had to let go of the side stick, so he just descended and landed the plane without suffocating or freezing. everyone survived, even the copilot. it happened over the himalayas iirc

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

the milk machine posted:

there was an airbus that had a windshield failure at 30k+ feet and the copilot got halfway sucked out. the pilot couldn't get to his mask because he would have had to let go of the side stick, so he just descended and landed the plane without suffocating or freezing. everyone survived, even the copilot. it happened over the himalayas iirc

Hmmm? A windshield failure shouldn't prevent him from letting go of the stick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

the milk machine posted:

Unless it's a different one, I think you are referring to BA 5390 and it was a BAC One-Eleven Series, not an airbus. No side stick, one of the issues was that the cockpit door came forward with the decompression and wedged itself on the flight controls.

And it was over England when it happened. Guy survived, but had severe frostbite.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hmmm? A windshield failure shouldn't prevent him from letting go of the stick.

the copilot was wedged halfway out the window and his knee/leg was against the other stick, idk, i assumed it had to do with how an airbus accounts for conflicting inputs or something

bull3964 posted:

Unless it's a different one, I think you are referring to BA 5390 and it was a BAC One-Eleven Series, not an airbus. No side stick, one of the issues was that the cockpit door came forward with the decompression and wedged itself on the flight controls.

And it was over England when it happened. Guy survived, but had severe frostbite.

i looked up the one i'm talking about, it's sichuan 8633: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_Airlines_Flight_8633

they had a similar door issue where the door blew open and banged an electrical panel, popping a bunch of breakers

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Unresponsive pilot seen slumped over before deadly Virginia plane crash, officials say
https://apnews.com/article/washingt...c5836dede94524c

Looks like hypoxia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

Seems odd that a depressurization event doesn't automatically emit a distress beacon of some sort

My boat has a $400 EPIRB (distress beacon) mounted about 3' above the floor if it gets wet it'll float off it's mount and 30 seconds later starts transmitting a distress beacon on ~415mhz that I can manually cancel. Every commercial ship since ~1982 has had the same device. I can't imagine a pressure sensor is that much more cost on a private jet

let's pretend you do this and the plane automatically squawks a distress signal of some kind after the flight crew are incapacitated.

the present course of action is ATC eventually notices that the plane is flying off course, tries to contact the crew, the crew fails to respond, and so the ANG is sent to take a look. The plane crashes and all its occupants die. in some case we might possibly have an active shootdown if the plane looks like it's gonna crash somewhere important.

what course of action would change over the present course of action in any meaningfully productive way?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you have a pinhole leak that the system can't keep up with, what happens in a pressurized jet currently

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

If you have a pinhole leak that the system can't keep up with, what happens in a pressurized jet currently

the cabin pressurization system will indicate there is a failure and the crew will either descend to a safe altitude or completely gently caress it up by trying to troubleshoot the system while gradually going hypoxic

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

let's pretend you do this and the plane automatically squawks a distress signal of some kind after the flight crew are incapacitated.

the present course of action is ATC eventually notices that the plane is flying off course, tries to contact the crew, the crew fails to respond, and so the ANG is sent to take a look. The plane crashes and all its occupants die. in some case we might possibly have an active shootdown if the plane looks like it's gonna crash somewhere important.

what course of action would change over the present course of action in any meaningfully productive way?
A distress signal won't do much obviously but the plane could easily descent to a safe flight level automatically

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That seems reasonable. Seems like at 14,5 you'd at least regain consciousness enough to push the flashing red "autodescend to FL100 and hold pattern" button on the screen, and your chances of running into the peak of the two mountains in the continental US higher than that are stratospherically low*

With some primitive geofencing of small parts of colorado and california, and basic compass input you could auto-descend to 12,5 with no risk

*pun intended

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
yeah it seems like if the plane squawked a cabin pressure code and then auto descended, ATC has a lot to work with there on traffic routing to see if the pilot can regain control. I mean, if the pilot declared an emergency, ATC is going to make other traffic work around them anyways so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hadlock posted:

With some primitive geofencing of small parts of colorado and california, and basic compass input you could auto-descend to 12,5 with no risk

*pun intended

Nah you also need to avoid, in the contiguous United States, parts of Washington, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, and Arizona.

e:Also if you look at those, plus Oregon, the highest point in the remaining states is under nine thousand feet.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 6, 2023

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The jet I fly has an auto emergency descent mode if the cabin altitude gets too high without crew action. It turns 90deg left, descends to 10,000ft and squawks 7700 to get ATC's attention. Obviously not every jet has this but it's cool to watch in the sim.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

two_beer_bishes posted:

The jet I fly has an auto emergency descent mode if the cabin altitude gets too high without crew action. It turns 90deg left, descends to 10,000ft and squawks 7700 to get ATC's attention. Obviously not every jet has this but it's cool to watch in the sim.

that's cool. what kind of jet is it? also, is the left turn intended to be another signal to atc that something is up because of the sudden direction change?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

even aircraft manufacturers know to :goleft:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the milk machine posted:

that's cool. what kind of jet is it? also, is the left turn intended to be another signal to atc that something is up because of the sudden direction change?

It's to avoid this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Guess we need this video again. They are telling Destin that he is about to die and needs to put his oxygen mask back on and he is sitting there smiling and saying "I don't want to die" while not doing anything. This is with him having the knowledge that he's going to be in a depressurized environment. If you slowly slip into hypoxia, you just don't know until it's too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw

These planes definitely need something that starts blaring an alarm when the cabin pressure is dropping before it's too late.

I like this one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwp19C5wdrs

This is a learjet 25 at FL320. The captain must be on supplemental oxygen but its clearly not enough. One thing not in the video - the flight control problem was because the FO had lost consciousness and was slumped over the yoke.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

Its a separate system but Garmin's autoland in the Cirrus can land itself and announces its intentions to ATC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKlxqnUslOI&t=103s

I believe that still requires human input to start the process and the emergency descent stuff is separate. But at least with both systems you would only need one person on the aircraft to be conscious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope it announces intentions with the TikTok voice.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

the milk machine posted:

Global 6000. The turn is so if you're on an airway, it takes you off the airway so the plane doesn't descend through other traffic, although a turn off course just presents other issues.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope it announces intentions with the TikTok voice.

It’s at the time stamp I linked.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

quote:

Unable to control altitude.
Unable to control airspeed.
Unable to control heading.
Other than that, everything A-OK.

has got to be one of the best radio calls in aviation history.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

has got to be one of the best radio calls in aviation history.

That and how quickly the crew goes back to normal as they descend is why I like that audio.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

hobbesmaster posted:

I believe that still requires human input to start the process and the emergency descent stuff is separate. But at least with both systems you would only need one person on the aircraft to be conscious.

Based on Garmin's promo video it activates automatically if the pilot is unresponsive.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the milk machine posted:

it's a technique borrowed from NASCAR, where turning left at random has mixed results but turning right only ever has bad outcomes

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Look, I don’t like road courses either but you’ve got to mix it up a bit from time to time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

it's a technique borrowed from NASCAR, where turning left at random has mixed results but turning right only ever has bad outcomes

In computer science we call this the dE* (Dale Earnhardt) pathing algorithm

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The solution is going to be, likely, mandating the continuous use of supplemental oxygen for single-pilot ops at certain altitudes, possibly with an automatic flow control that adjusts to cabin pressure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone is just going to ignore the rules even harder.

But IMO promote whoever got Jerry to knock it off to head the FAA.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

call International Rescue ya dungus

Platystemon posted:

Nah you also need to avoid, in the contiguous United States, parts of Washington, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, and Arizona.

Colorado would like a word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Colorado would like a word

Colorado and California were in Hadlock’s original proposal.

Alaska and Hawai‘i both have terrain over FL125, but they’re not contiguous, and besides if you’re including them, you might as well include Canada and Mexico and soon the whole rest of the world.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 6, 2023