Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I used to hate a lot of vegetables growing up. And then when i started cooking for myself, i realized my parents overcooked the poo poo out of them. Never again.

Plus i want to know what vegetables are that much more expensive when raw. Because while i can see how that is the case depending on plant and location, raw carrots are dirt cheap everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I grew up thinking I hated vegetables because we had bland, mushy steamed ones all the time. So many of them are incredible roasted and such, I think I would've loved them even as a kid if they'd been cooked differently.

Same here. So much steamed broccoli with Lowrys steak seasoning to give it some taste.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Biplane posted:

That happened to me when i saw nine inch nails, the most magical night of my life almost, but its just a haze of having an insanely good time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

mllaneza posted:

1. Boil water
2. Add veggies
3. Cook them for no more than 2 minutes

Salt, black pepper, and garlic can be added to the water for extra flavor.

NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brawnfire posted:

NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it

Also note, this technique works with frozen too. Just start counting when it starts boiling again after they go in.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for threatening legal action due to the things my child’s mom told her?

quote:

I (37M) have a daughter (14) with my ex wife Rachel (37F). Rachel was always my best friend and someone who I trusted 100%. I have a best friend named Drew (37M), we met in the 3rd grade and he’s basically my brother at this point. Rachel knew we had a tight bond and she always treated Drew great. 4 years ago drew told me he was seeing someone other than his wife. He told me not to say anything till he figured out what to do.

I went home and told my wife. She was appalled, which I never really got as her and Drew’s wife were casual friends if anything. I told her not to say anything as we needed to stay out of it. Drew was also “uncle Drew” to our daughter so we needed to be delicate.

My wife said she wouldn’t say anything. Well the next day she told Drew’s wife. Long story but they ended up separating. Me and Drew didnt speak for a year because he was so mad at me. I refused to tell Rachel anything about my life anymore because I couldn’t trust her. The situation festered and we separated with joint custody.

We always keep our daughter out of the drama. My kid comes over to my place this weekend and Drew was over. She says “whats up scumbags” to Drew and his fiancé who was also over. Long story short, Rachel and Drew’s ex talked to my daughter. And then my ex wife decided to dump everything on her. She explained why we split, what Drew did, what I did and said Drew getting married again was a joke. My daughter is in the wedding which is next year. She now says she doesn’t wanna be in it since Drew is a scumbag. Drew and his fiancé left after my daughter kept poo poo talking them. I called her mom who told me that she only told our daughter the truth after she overheard their conversation. And she felt like our daughter was old enough. I said she had no right and that was petty and wrong for her to say those things without me present. Drew should have had the right to defend himself and explain things to our daughter if she had questions. Not cling to the word of a pissed off ex. And how just because she is now fake friends with drews ex wife, doesn’t give her the right to open her big mouth about my bothers situation or new fiancé. I told her to grow the hell up and maybe try dating or something if she’s that bored. My daughter confirmed the things that were told to her. I hung up and we went at it again this time her calling me a scumbag. She said I was a lovely person for covering for Drew. I said she had no idea what she was talking about. She is now saying she doesn’t want Drew around anymore. To which I told her too bad as she isn’t in charge here and is obviously misguided. I then talked to my lawyer who said I have a clear case for alienation. I told Rachel if she doesn’t fix/backtrack what she told our daughter. Then I plan on taking her to court. AITA?

maybe the court can force your daughter to respect you again

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

rotinaj posted:

Even while half his posts are about how much he doesn’t like personal anecdotes, and the other half are… personal anecdotes

Only in which vitamins and nutrients they add. Its not great for dogs to live off cat food and vice versa. Iirc there is also way more fat in cat food for reasons and that will help a dog become a chonk. My yellow lab loves cat food so i gotta be careful she doesn’t scarf it all.

Dog food does not have taurine in it because dog bodies can make their own. Cat food needs to have taurine because cats cannot make it on their own and they need it to live

Edit beaten. Tach me to post before reading

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 5, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

that's why you don't tell catty people and teenage girls poo poo

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Foo Diddley posted:

Getting sentenced to watch the movie Breathless

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Foo Diddley posted:

If this doesn’t work you can try to sue Drew for his affair alienating your kid

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I also hated veggies but I was raised on canned green beans and boiled-to-mush broccoli, with zero seasonings. Not even a single grain of salt added. Ever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
When you invite a married couple to a wedding, you need to invite both partners, right? Seems fairly cut and dried...

AITA for telling my wife she shouldn't attend a family wedding if I'm not invited

quote:

Last weekend my (34m) wife (35f) received an invitation to her eldest sister's wedding. The invitation states that she and our three children are invited with no mention of me e.g "4 seats have been reserved in honor of wife, child, child, and child".

I was insulted and thought my wife would agree that that is rude but after she spoke to her mother to clarify if I really wasn't invited she said she is still planning to attend. I said it wouldn't be fair for her to go without me and that I don't give consent for my children to go without their father. She said I'm being unreasonable as her nieces and nephews will be there and it's a big family event.

My argument is that if it's so important the whole family attends then I should be invited. If not then it can't be that important and she shouldn't go. Who's the rear end in a top hat here?
...until you get to the update

quote:

ETA okay I get it I'm in the wrong, I'll let my kids go. Everyone can stop hounding me about old mistakes that I've already thoroughly repented for.
Turns out OP got busted repeatedly cheating, put his wife through hell and back, and while they were able to put their marriage back together his in-laws never forgave him. Naturally, like all truly repentant souls, he's whining up a storm about how unfair it is that all this stuff in the past is still being held against him.

quote:

Nothing like that. There was an issue of chronic infidelity on my part that we have dealt with as a couple and moved forward from. Around that time they also decided they didn't like an arrangement my wife and I had which is that she worked for my company off the books. My business now makes enough to pay her a salary so that's not an issue anymore but things were difficult when trying to get the business off the ground.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 6, 2023

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

FMguru posted:

There was an issue of chronic infidelity on my part

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
At another point, OP describes nearly torpedoing his marriage with his wandering dick as "when me and my wife hit a rough patch almost ten years ago".

Totally unavoidable, that "rough patch" - plus he and his wife hit it together so really there's no one to blame.

e: vvvv I think it meant she was putting in hours but not getting paid as the company was trying to get off the ground. Less embezzlement, more financial abuse.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 6, 2023

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Having your wife work for your business off the books is just called embezzlement

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wow, he's a real piece of poo poo. Incredible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We had a garden growing up so I got used to grazing. Unless it's stuff that pretty much needs to be cooked (brussels sprouts for example) cooked veggies often taste weird to me. I'd rather just grab a head of broccoli and munch it while watching Youtube.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Bruceski posted:

We had a garden growing up so I got used to grazing. Unless it's stuff that pretty much needs to be cooked (brussels sprouts for example) cooked veggies often taste weird to me. I'd rather just grab a head of broccoli and munch it while watching Youtube.

Pretty much this. I got used to fresh veggies from the garden and only really got into steamed vegetables as an adult. My wife actually initially judged me for eating raw bell peppers like an apple, but I like it better that way and I don't need a plate

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Modern commercial brussels sprouts cultivars have come a long way since you were a kid and aren't any more bitter than lettuce. They might give some people gas because they don't break down smoothly in the gut, but no more so than cabbage or broccoli.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Shouldn't have let the kid watch the shows about high steaks gambling.

A pun this well done isn't rare. :v:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for getting a dog even though it means my family cannot stay at my house?

quote:

My younger brother is very allergic to dogs. I love them. I have wanted one all my life but we couldn't have one because it would be bad for him.

I never held this against him. I understood that it was a medical thing and that it would be stupid to risk his health just for me to get a dog.

However I have recently purchased my my own home in a different state than my family. And I got myself a dog. His name is Bradford and he is a husky. My dream dog.

I posted a pictures of Bradley on my socials and my parents saw them. They said it was irresponsible of me to get a dog because of my brother. I was like WTF? I literally live hundreds of miles away from them. Our next door neighbor had dogs when I was growing up. It's not like he will affect my brother at all.

They said that they were planning on asking if my brother could stay with me while he attended college. News to me.

I said it probably would have been a good idea to let me know they were planning on that since they do not own my home.

They said that they had helped me out through school hoping I would help them out when it was my brother's turn. Once again this was news to me.

They said I needed to get rid of Bradley. I told them to invoice me for their help and not bother me again.

They keep trying to contact me but I'm not interested in hearing it. I waited 26 years to get a dog and he's not going anywhere.

They think I'm being an rear end in a top hat for prioritizing my dog over my brother and for how off handedly I told them to bill me.

AITA?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They were totally planning to ship the younger brother off to her, weren't they.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They were totally planning to ship the younger brother off to her, weren't they.

It says that in the post.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

hallo spacedog posted:

What countries say sqft but aren't "westernized"

They say South Africa in the comments.

Batterypowered7 posted:

OP calls them steamed vegetables despite the fact they're obviously grilled?

:golfclap:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There was an issue of chronic infidelity on my part. Goddamn that is some corporate speak for My Dick Must Get Into Many Women.

AITA for not inviting my daughter’s absentee grandma to her preschool graduation?

quote:

My MIL is a 4 times a year grandma. A Facebook comment grandma. We see her Christmas, Easter, and two birthdays if we are lucky (or unlucky). When my daughter was one I brought her to my MIL’s once a week to spend time with her. Once my SIL had a child, I was told MIL was too busy for my daughter and that she would let me know when she had time for her once she established a routine with my nephew. That time never came. MIL watches her other grandkids multiple times a week but never makes an attempt to see my kids. She lived 5 minutes away from us at the time. We have since moved 40 minutes away but I’ve accepted that she will never really be in their lives. When she does see my kids on holidays, they have no relationship. My two kids say hi but would rather play with their cousins because they have no bond with their grandma.

So preschool graduation comes around and my 5 year old requests my parents to be there. I asked if she wanted to invite my in-laws and she said no. I asked her again another time and she told me she was nervous about the show and didn’t feel comfortable having them there. So I didn’t invite them. Now MIL is mad and throwing a pity party for herself. So AITA? TLDR … I didn’t invite absentee grandma to my daughter’s graduation because she didn’t want her there and now gma is pissed.

I loving hate the idea of every school year end being a graduation.
That said watching little kids try to sit still and probably get up and wander off during the little kid speeches would be awesome. I would listen to a rambling speech about Bluey over some 18 year old talking about their future dreams for the 6th speaker in a row.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A partner-involved cheating took place

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for letting a man who was into me spend ~£800 on drinks for me and my friends?

quote:

I went out with some of my friends the other night and we ended up at a nightclub. I'm in a longterm relationship with my boyfriend and went out just for drinks and no interest in hooking up with anyone.

At some point a guy approached me and started heavily flirting. I cut him off and told him I'm taken but he persisted in the flirting. I told him again I wasn't interested.

At this point he said he would buy me as many drinks as I wanted if I at least put his number into my phone. I said I would never call him back but he said that's fine, he just wanted his number in my contacts.

I agreed and he ended up spending ~£800 on me and my friends over the course of the night. I feel pretty awful about it now because it didn't seem like he actually had a huge amount saved up (worked minimum wage as a barback). I know he only said what he did because he thought buying me drinks would change my mind (it didn't, I'm in a relationship).

AITA for letting him spend this much money on me?

Edit: Nobody asked him for drinks any time he bought them. He asked each time what we wanted before buying them. There was no point where we asked him for them without him first suggesting it.

lol this fuckin chump

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
A rough patch was hit after a spouse-involved infidelity occured.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for letting a man who was into me spend ~£800 on drinks for me and my friends?

lol this fuckin chump

Working 100 extra hours at my job to get a woman to add my number and then delete my number from her contacts

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
GUESS! THAT! SPOILER!

AITA for telling my wife I won’t let her name our daughter after her mother?

quote:

For context, I, 32 male, and my wife, 28 female, found out that we are expecting in January of this year. Recently, at one of her ultrasound appointments, we found out that we are having a baby girl. A few nights ago my wife and I began to talk about possible baby names. She mentioned her mother, Ana, and asked me how I would feel if our daughter inherited her name. I told her that I loved that idea, not only because Ana is a pretty name, but because my wife is Puerto Rican and I know how important it would be to her family if we carried on her mothers name since it has been in the family for ages. I figured that the conversation was over after I agreed, but just last night at dinner my wife brought it up again. She said that she thinks it’s so meaningful that I am letting our daughter have “her grandmother’s middle name.” When she said this I was shocked. I had assumed my wife was talking about her mother’s first name, not her middle name. This might not have been a huge deal, but my mother in law’s middle name is- wait for it- Princess. I told my wife that I am sorry, but I don’t want our daughter to be named Princess. Upon hearing this she burst into tears, calling me “a disgrace to her family” and “an awful father” for “excluding our kid.” I told her that she was acting crazy, and that I would be fine with the name Ana but Princess is not a name I am comfortable giving our newborn. She’s been avoiding me all day, and I’m starting to wonder if I’m going nuts. I don’t want our kid to be bullied, but family is so important to me and my wife. So, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

My guess of Pnurtis was shockingly close

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

DemoneeHo posted:

My Daughter Won't Eat Steamed Vegetables

The advice given is that op is overcooking the veggies, and they should use seasonings and alternate cooking methods.

as someone who cant eat canned / mushy boiled veges because of texture issues forcing the daughter to eat them isnt going to go well if she is getting puke signals from eatting them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Batterypowered7 posted:

It says that in the post.

:doh: So it does. I have got to start drinking coffee before trying to read things.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

I loving hate the idea of every school year end being a graduation.

It's probably the 5 year old kids who are getting ready to enter kindergarten. My son just had his, and it was adorable :3:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

the holy poopacy posted:

Modern commercial brussels sprouts cultivars have come a long way since you were a kid and aren't any more bitter than lettuce. They might give some people gas because they don't break down smoothly in the gut, but no more so than cabbage or broccoli.

Oh yeah, but they're still a bit weird raw. Mainly because I mostly see them frozen so they need some heating anyway.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

TastyAvocado posted:

A rough patch was hit after a spouse-involved infidelity occured.

It was a drive-by screwing!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Foo Diddley posted:

lol this fuckin chump

Findom strikes again.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for giving my daughter's phone number to a lady in my walking group?

quote:

I(48F) have one daughter in college right now. She(21F) is a rising senior in computer science, so she's very busy with her schoolwork. But sometimes I feel like she's not as busy as she says, because she doesn't talk to me much, and in general, is very tight lipped about her life. She doesn't tell me things like she used to, about her courses or roomates or her friends or boys. I'm really concerned that she's all alone and she's not mingling much because of her reserved attitude, but if I try and ask too many questions, she doesn't talk to me for weeks.

There's a lady in my walking group, whose son is heading off to the same college my daughter is, and he's also doing something related to computers and electronics, I think it was like human-computer interaction or something.

Anyways, she was asking me questions, because she heard this school's program is really rigorous. I didn't really know many of the answers, but I was really happy that her son was going, because it would be nice for my daughter to make some friends and not sit with those books all the time.

I offered to give my daughter's phone number to her, and she joked that her son would be thrilled to hook up with an older woman. I laughed at that, and I told her that my daughter is single, so it would be so amazing if the 2 of them were to find a connection.

Later that evening, my daughter called me on her own, unprompted, which was a surprise since yesterday she told me that she wouldn't be able to talk since she had a huge assignment. I was angry that she lied to me to not talk to me, since clearly if she called she has the time to talk, but before I could utter a word, she started shouting at me, because apparently she got some flirty texts from a number she didn't recognize and that apparently I gave them her contact. I laughed, and explained the cute story about my friend and her son, and how she can make some friends or potentially more, but she just hung up the phone.

My husband told me that I shouldn't have interfered, but he says that about everything and everyone, he's basically Mr.Bennet from pride and prejudice so I didn't take his words too seriously. But I never wanted to upset my daughter, so now I'm feeling a bit bad. I don't think it was harmful, and he did later try to ask questions about the major, but apparently she blocked him, so I had to go and apologize and try to explain my anti social daughter to my friend, which was humiliating.

i laughed, and explained the cute story about how i set her up for sexual harassment

quote:

I did not harm her, he just sent some cute little flirty emojis and texts, he did not sexually harass her. You know how boys are, he just got excited getting a cute college girl's number and got carried away, he didn't do anything harmful or horrible to her, even she acknowledged it was just kind of immature, she didn't sound harmed or anything, she just sounded angry, because she doesn't want to make the effort to meet people and doesn't like it when I try and help her because she wants to swim in her own misery without trying to make an active effort

you know how boys are, they hardly ever do anything harmful to girls who reject them

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

But he must be such a well adjusted and reasonable fellow, immediately sending those texts to a random number his mum gave him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for giving my daughter's phone number to a lady in my walking group?

i laughed, and explained the cute story about how i set her up for sexual harassment

you know how boys are, they hardly ever do anything harmful to girls who reject them

the narcissim is practically steaming off that post, the whole "oh so it seems like you aren't too busy to call" after her daughter is furious she's getting sexually suggestive text messages.