Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

well i painted one sleeve of shot for these duders. now i'm starting to consider how i want to base them. i'd like to play for king and parliament with them but that's gonna take a poo poo load of figs. right now they're on 40x30s which makes a 36 man regiment. pikemans lament is the other option but i'm not sure about basing for that style. 1-2-3 basing i'm not sure would look all that great at 15 mm. maybe double up so that 2 figs = 1 for pikemans lament and then just use movement trays when i wanna play fk&p or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Edit: Again, and I cannot emphasize this enough, this is pure guesswork. But it doesn't look egregiously wrong, like the sadly all too common "Apache? Comanche? Close enough!" approach.
Given the geography of it I'd say more heavily clothed figures, maybe even something sold as "Inuit" or "Eskimo", might work well for winter battles.

lilljonas posted:

I dare you to google Tlingit Warrior and not want to build a small warband
Sorry, no, those are far too much effort to paint. Incredibly intricate patterns.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

well i painted one sleeve of shot for these duders. now i'm starting to consider how i want to base them. i'd like to play for king and parliament with them but that's gonna take a poo poo load of figs. right now they're on 40x30s which makes a 36 man regiment. pikemans lament is the other option but i'm not sure about basing for that style. 1-2-3 basing i'm not sure would look all that great at 15 mm. maybe double up so that 2 figs = 1 for pikemans lament and then just use movement trays when i wanna play fk&p or something?

The grid squares for FK&P can be as small as you like as long as you’ve got 12 by 8 of them, so if you’re worried about figure count you can just have smaller bases.

As for Pikeman’s Lament, it’s basing agnostic, so I’d just base for FK&P making sure you can separate your pike guys from your shot guys and use that. I personally don’t really like 1-2-3 basing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

Given the geography of it I'd say more heavily clothed figures, maybe even something sold as "Inuit" or "Eskimo", might work well for winter battles.

Sorry, no, those are far too much effort to paint. Incredibly intricate patterns.

Iirc the norse in Vinland would’ve been there before the Inuit displaced the previous Dorset people. Sadly I doubt any minis of them are around

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Is there a book that you could recommend on Native American warfare customs? This is interesting, but I'd love to have a source for it.

Later this year UNC Press is publishing Wayne E. Lee's The Cutting-Off Way: Indigenous Warfare in Eastern North America, 1500-1800.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Footsore Miniatures have a small collection of what they call "Skraelings" but I have no idea of their accuracy.

https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/skraelings

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gripping Beast did a very similar line for Saga - I picked them up in 1e and their gimmick was unique in that they could adopt their opponent's battle boards.

It's a eurocentric game, and this was a great way of representing the European belief that they were adaptable strategists and supremely flexible fighters. IIRC, there was a prohibition on trading them weapons for that reason.

Then 2e came along and that system got replaced with something about totems and it felt.. not as great.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Endman posted:

The second edition of Lion Rampant has extra rules inside for playing the Dark Ages.

The turn over system can be a bit of an acquired taste though. I personally like it a lot, but it can get frustrating with the wrong attitude.

I like it too, but they do have an optional rule basically just to not end the turn on a failed activation.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Does it have the "free" actions for unit types like in Xeno? Helps mitigate that as well as defining combat roles.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iirc the norse in Vinland would’ve been there before the Inuit displaced the previous Dorset people. Sadly I doubt any minis of them are around
I mean I have no logic for this beyond "Vinland is cold so more clothes makes sense". If you've got more info about the material culture of Vinland circa 1k CE I'll defer to taht.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pretty sure that's the Thule people, not Dorset. If I'm wrong let me know.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Help I'm starting to buy Byzantine cavalry for Saga and there's just so many different types of it lol. I was thinking of doing Viking era thematic cavalry as the heavy cataphracts and the Crusades era as lighter lancers, but then I'd need matching models for heavy cataphract archers, plus I'd need to get some bannermen on both foot and horse and no one seems to sell those solo (looking at metals)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Springfield Fatts posted:

Does it have the "free" actions for unit types like in Xeno? Helps mitigate that as well as defining combat roles.
No.

You can buy Leader skills that give one unit per turn within 12" a free activation of a certain type though, or reroll more failed activations.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 23, 2023

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Class Warcraft posted:

Little Wars TV put out a ruleset called Ravenfeast that has scenarios for some of those exact scenarios.

http://www.ravenfeast.com/

Oh this looks lovely for our purposes, yeah!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gonna try getting into Fighting Sail, so I painted up a couple ships to learn using the Frigate Duel version in the book.

So here's USS Constellation and La Vengeance using the 1:2400 scale USS Constitution and Hermione models from on of Henry Turner's Napoleonic ship packs

Note's to self: A) Good god, 1:2400 is tiny... B) Maybe print out some flags for next time instead of handpainting.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I bought a big pile of 15mm AWI stuff for cheap. (This is just the painted stuff, there's a whole crate of unpainted minis.)

What are some good 15mm AWI games?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 31, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cessna posted:

I bought a big pile of 15mm AWI stuff for cheap. (This is just the painted stuff, there's a whole crate of unpainted minis.)

What are some good 15mm AWI games?

Oh those look amazing. How do you feel about tricorns vs shakos? I'm so torn on whether to go SYW or Napoleonic when I eventually do black powder in 10mm....

Speaking of which I played Pikeman's Lament last week and it went quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SJP0hYBlI

It has inspired me to finish up the ECW armies. I've got the following done save flocking:

- Heavy artillery, i.e. bronze culverins with crew
- Tracers for my light galloper guns and the horses to be mounted on round bases to show limbered/unlimbered. The Culverins can't be limbered and only pivoted!
- Regiment of Shot in Black

I've put in a 'top up' order from Pendraken to round out the last bits (extra pike a shot) and a bunch of quality-of-life improvements - loaded/reload figures, casualty markers, cows as objective markers (brown, right?) and some hedges and barricades. Hopefully that should make the battle reports a bit more compelling!

Depending on the game system, this gives me 9 companies each of pike and shot, 4 squadrons of gallopers, 4 squadrons of trotters, 2 light guns, 2 heavy guns, 4 brigadiers and 2 commanders-in-chief.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gonna try getting into Fighting Sail... flags

Did you play a game yet? I've got my two mostly painted half-fleets but haven't gotten them to the table yet. I bought two fleets from Tumbling Dice but I figure 3-4 ships per side is probably about right for a skirmish-level game on a 3' square board so returned one.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Did you play a game yet? I've got my two mostly painted half-fleets but haven't gotten them to the table yet. I bought two fleets from Tumbling Dice but I figure 3-4 ships per side is probably about right for a skirmish-level game on a 3' square board so returned one.

Not yet, but I have another three day weekend now (since covid, my company has usually made Memorial Day a four-day weekend, but this time decided to declare this week a three-day week? :shrug:) so I'm going to try to get a frigate duel in.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Southern Heel posted:

Oh those look amazing. How do you feel about tricorns vs shakos? I'm so torn on whether to go SYW or Napoleonic when I eventually do black powder in 10mm....

I'm pretty much a Napoleonics type, but I got such a good deal on these I couldn't resist. There's a whole storage tub full of them - redcoats, militia, Hessians, Native Americans, artillery, dragoons, you name it - just piles of them. The only tricorn-era I've played in decades is some F&I War/7YW in North America using Muskets & Tomahawks.

The infantry are on 1" x 3/4" bases. I really don't know what's popular for AWI in 15mm. Is there a standard basing? I.e., for Ancients I'd use DB(X) and put them on 40mm bases. I could probably rebase these, but I don't want to. As it is, I really like the wood bases they're on, it's a nice look. Normally I paint the edges of bases, but the wood looks good. I guess I've got so many of these that I'll probably end up painting both sides of a battle, so matching my opponent's bases won't be really relevant.

Are there any good games for AWI 15mm? I may buy a copy of Maurice, but I don't know if that's the one to go with. I generally prefer lite/less complex games these days.

Southern Heel posted:

Speaking of which I played Pikeman's Lament last week and it went quite well:

Nice!

I've pretty much given up on having time to paint enough 28mm ECW to a good standard for a big battle (Pike & Shotte), but a skirmish game is another matter. I've got Scots Covenant and I'm working on New Model Army for Pikeman's Lament. My main opponent has Royalists; I really like the game.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, I wasn't convinced at all by the combined to-hit/to-wound/to-save roll with success multiples in a roll, but it really works. The only thing I don't like is when you get a firestorm of failed orders, particularly if the order is a simple/easy one!

I have painted up the bronze demi-culverins:

EDIT: Re AWI - I have no idea, it's not an area I've really got much interest in except for TRICORNS. Re: Napoleonic vs SYW - I just don't think there's the same hook into the early-mid 18th century warfare that there is with the Napoleonic in popular culture and so even if you 'go off' the period you're buoyed up by books, movies, etc.

I did consciously not order any other periods except these extra ECW figures though, because I want them as done as I can!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 2, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

finished this foot regiment. i have them based 2 to a nickel (or a ~21mm round), and am basing the horse 1 to a nickel. 6 stands on a sabot base 50 mm x 75 mm, and 3 sabots forms this regiment of foote. i still have to edge the flags as i just glued them on but pretty happy with this layout. i can use the individual sabots and bases as movement trays and figs for pikemans lament (where this is 3 units), or keep them grouped up like this for FK&P (where this is one unit 150 mm wide). it'll be a little while before i have enough for the latter but i'll have enough for the former in not long at all

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Those look excellent! I think if I were to do this again, I wouldn’t bother with the DBx basing. I would probably go with 1x3/4”, or 1” square bases, and a sabot like you have!

For King and Parliament has come up a few times for me recently. How many units do you need?

Edit: cross post from the terrain thread:

Southern Heel posted:

I really like the battle scale scenery that is available. They are resin castings and quite cheap given their size and detail.

This is a set of 10mm buildings for use with my English civil war games. I think the chapel could really do with being a church-but these are broadly to scale, and so it would be ginormous!

I’m hoping to get these into my next battle report for “pikeman’s lament” and “victory without quarter“

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 3, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone have or know about good fantasy / viking / saga appropriate STLs?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tias posted:

Wargames Atlantic's digital "branch" has berserkers, Shieldmaidens, Saxon bits, and The Battle of Stamford Bridge Norse

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

Those look excellent! I think if I were to do this again, I wouldn’t bother with the DBx basing. I would probably go with 1x3/4”, or 1” square bases, and a sabot like you have!

For King and Parliament has come up a few times for me recently. How many units do you need?

Edit: cross post from the terrain thread:

thanks man. looking forward to seeing your table for PL. i've been making terrain for 6 mm sci fi stuff and have been doing mostly diorama style 2'x2' tiles. it's a lot of work and only works well for terrain dense games. games that favour a more open field style table wouldn't work as well so i'm leaning more toward a traditional green mat with terrain placed atop. looking for inspiration

regarding FK&P, something like 8 units a side minimum, 10-12 on average, 24 would be a quite big game

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally got in that game of Fighting Sail. Did the Frigate Duel variant with USS Constellation versus La Vengeance, and after little over a half hour (Including time spent re-reading rules), Constellation was sinking to Davy Jones's locker.

I really only had two issues with the rules. One was user error - I had issues keeping track of the sailing points until I stopped being a dummy and kept the success dice out for each ship and put them away as I spent the points. The other was part rules, part user error - I just struggled with how anchor tokens work, and kept forgetting to apply those effects when needed.

Overall, good game, found it fun, will probably get a couple small fleets together now.

It was pretty funny watching the seriously damaged Constellation essentially tank a raking shot to her bow at one point.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Very interesting, Carl - at some point, I'm going to get the sea mat back out and play a bigger battle of grand fleets as well as fighting sail.

I have finished my unit of English Civil War cuirassiers, I think they might benefit from a highlight, especially on the skin – but at this point, I'm trying to get all my figures done rather than making them perfect:

I am going to set up for another game of Pikemen's Lament later and hopefully get some video of it - without barricades or objectives I am limited to fighting engagements but I'm confident with my One Hour Wargames book, I can find a good scenario. Hotcocoa - I went almost completely the opposite and have a terrain, Matt and individual small bits of terrain. I bought some premade hills, and I'm quite annoyed that they have almost no grip: figures, just slide straight off the slope.

Despite my initial scepticism, I am actually quite interested in measureless games at the moment. In FK&P is an element a stand of either pike, shot, horse? As separate elements I have 18 shot, 9 pike, 12 horse, 4 cannon, etc. but as doubles (horse) and composite units (p&s) far less.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 5, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

god drat the Historicon website is a nightmare. I have no idea how all those boomers navigate it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

alg posted:

god drat the Historicon website is a nightmare. I have no idea how all those boomers navigate it.

It is terrible, but still better than the consimworld website.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
we drag peter pig and not undeservedly but it's wild how his website only looks terrible and is otherwise pretty navigable and clear about things you're buying.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have recorded and uploaded my second battle report for Pikemen's Lament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E472H3j5oc

It is a slugfest between the Dastardly Parliamentarian Duke in yellow, against the Bastardly Baron in Green - I've added flags to show which side is activating, and added way more transitions and sound effects, removing most of the dice rolling. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tias posted:

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/AsgardRising

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
honestly if your website isn't dogshit and your surname isn't "Perry" can you even claim to be a historicals manufacturer?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

alg posted:

Glad you like it my friend!

Armand

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

alg posted:

I checked it out and it honestly doesn't seem that bad? Now let me just pop over to the Irregular Miniatures website...

Also having bought a couple Italian Wars armies off them, you cannot say they didn't warn you.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 6, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone got tips for quickly painting Mongolian skin tones?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

StashAugustine posted:

I’d say avoid skin tone colours thay has a lot of red/pink in it. I’ve found that working from a brown base coat, such as vallejo’s cork brown, helps the skin not look too pinkish in the end.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Looks like 3dBreed is doing another kickstarter, this time medieval / Bravehart themed: http://kck.st/3XdW6Gb

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Vallejo sunny skintone or Citadel kislev flesh. Wash with sepia and highlight up with base + dark sand/buff/ushabti bone. Add some faint pink/blue to taste.

If it's too yellow mix in a touch of green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

These are Hellenistic slingers but could they work for Viking era Byzantines? I figure "dude in tunic" didn't change that much