Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The amount of text on the cards in this set is bad.

Seems about the same as any recent set, but given how much outside interest this IP will bring, they probably could have done a set with much simpler cards and keywords, like an intro product or low complexity environment.

But considering folks already question whether every card could possibly push in the formats it's allowed in as it is, doubt a set with a bunch of near vanilla or simple cards would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A 2-mana 2/2 that gets +1/+1 under certain (relatively trivial) conditions is less powerful than a 2-mana 3/3, but they're more likely to print the former than the latter these days because it looks more interesting.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The only complexity creep that bothers me is ring-tempting. Creating not one but two additional things to track is annoying, see for instance the stupid Initiative

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

This is loving busted holy poo poo

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
what sucks is that most of the ring mechanic will just be permalocked to this set and never expanded in others unless wotc decides to implement "the one ring" outside LOTR stuff.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

yeah that card is pretty great. Spirits already had pretty good ways to dodge spot removal, but this is pretty much the final form of that

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silhouette posted:

It's just pseudo-protection from targeting effects. Wrath effects (even poo poo like Anger of the Gods) still owns him.

I love the design. But it isn't close to busted.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also it only works if he's already on the field (so you can't play or vial it in in response to removal like you can with Selfless Spirit or Rattlechains), and also it costs 4 so when are you ever playing it?

Maybe you can make it work as essentially a control finisher (nobody's keeping in board wipes against control, right? Though he's pretty small and doesn't play nicely with your own board wipes), but it's not a fit for the current Spirits deck at all.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

AlternateNu posted:

It's just pseudo-protection from targeting effects. Wrath effects (even poo poo like Anger of the Gods) still owns him.

I love the design. But it isn't close to busted.

You can target it with any random spell of your own in response, also this pairs well with Guardian of Faith

Edit: this isn't for the Spirits deck, it's for bw tokens and may actually make that deck a thing/lingering souls playable again

Edit 2: Kaya, Geist Hunter may actually have a home now

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 6, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silhouette posted:

You can target it with any random spell of your own in response, also this pairs well with Guardian of Faith

Edit: this isn't for the Spirits deck, it's for bw tokens and may actually make that deck a thing/lingering souls playable again

That still makes it a one-for-one, and all the value you've earned from him will still die in the wrath.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

:confused: it sticks around and brings a friend post-wrath, also wraths aren't the most common type of removal in modern by a long shot. Push, Heat, Ending and Bolt are still the most played removal pieces in the formst

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
fatal push is not the reason lingering souls is bad, though. how is a card that beats fatal push harder while not doing anything about the real problems going to help the deck?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Silhouette posted:

:confused: it sticks around and brings a friend post-wrath, also wraths aren't the most common type of removal in modern by a long shot. Push, Heat, Ending and Bolt are still the most played removal pieces in the formst

As a huge b/w tokens cheerleader myself, this card only has some fringe playability in the deck. b/w token sucks because its too slow to defeat basically anything in the format and doesn't generate enough value compared to about a dozen other strategies. You want opponents to try and 1v1 your tokens with removal. You don't need to strengthen that gameplan any further.

The card being b/w instead of u/w is most of the deciding factor than anything about the card and its viability. This would more fit in the "does modern spirits play a 4 drop" line of questioning. Is it in the discussion for a spirit played at the 4 drop slot if you want to even have a 4 drop slot?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jabor posted:

it costs 4 so when are you ever playing it?

there's this format called commander, you see

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
RE: text on cards, I think it's more of an indication that WOTC doesn't want to just keyword everything. Serra Angel looks simple but imagine how much text it would be if the actual effects of "vigilance" or "flying" had to actually be written out, in full. Now compare that to a relatively common effect that we see everywhere these days as an example: "Look at the top X cards of your library. You may reveal a [criteria] card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order." That's a lot of words for a pretty simple game action to actually perform, and I'd argue that the majority of cards coming out are similarly easy to understand in actual play.

That's not to say that nothing's changed though. IMO, what's really going on is not so much that the game is more complicated, but that WOTC has been steadily moving power away from instants/sorceries and into permanents - and, especially, creatures. This comes up in two ways: one, most creatures are getting a keyword or two just so that combat is more engaging than vanilla 3/2 attacking a vanilla 2/3 after your stuff has an ETB effect. I suppose that's a bit more complexity but I'm not going to fault them for trying to make actually attacking more interesting. Two, instead of people having a fistful of instants just waiting to pounce on the stack, we have more trigger effects already in play on the field. It's not changing the total amount of interaction that's occuring, but it means that instead of just "throw it out and make them have it" you now know if they have it. The proactive player isn't able to do the spellcasting equivalent of "math is for blockers" with their opponent's interaction, now the proactive player actually has the on-board knowledge to know what the outcome of their action will be and are forced to "do the math" themselves.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

orangelex44 posted:

Serra Angel looks simple but imagine how much text it would be if the actual effects of "vigilance" or "flying" had to actually be written out, in full.

You mean like theyve done a dozen times?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

orangelex44 posted:

RE: text on cards, I think it's more of an indication that WOTC doesn't want to just keyword everything. Serra Angel looks simple but imagine how much text it would be if the actual effects of "vigilance" or "flying" had to actually be written out, in full.

Bro vigilance wasn't even a keyword until like 2004

Nice, bad for modern but decent removal in edh

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Another card that pairs well with Indicate.

Silhouette posted:

Edit 2: Kaya, Geist Hunter may actually have a home now

Seems too slow for a deck that normally handles spot removal pretty well, but drat it'd be nice to dust off the old tokens deck and not have it suck.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
love her :allears:

Legendary Creature - Elf Noble
Whenever you scry, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
4GU: Scry 2.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

the spirit legend not dodging fury, solitude, leyline binding, or 3feri makes me feel kinda shrug about it, but it seems fun to target with my own stuff.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

the spirit legend not dodging fury, solitude, leyline binding, or 3feri makes me feel kinda shrug about it, but it seems fun to target with my own stuff.

Oh I didn't catch that actually. I thought a spell was any card other than a land? Maybe that's just on the stack?

Do other cards refer to instants/sorceries as spells to distinguish between them and triggered abilities? I guess I've just never noticed somehow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Procrastinator posted:

oh I missed that. Fury is one of the major reasons why I gave up on bw tokens

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh I didn't catch that actually. I thought a spell was any card other than a land? Maybe that's just on the stack?

Do other cards refer to instants/sorceries as spells to distinguish between them and triggered abilities? I guess I've just never noticed somehow

It's not just instants and sorceries (you can also be targeted by enchantments and creatures on the stack, for example) and the distinction between spells and triggered/activated abilities has been part of the rules since Alpha. eg, here's a pair of cards from Visions and Mirage:

https://scryfall.com/card/vis/15/peace-talks vs https://scryfall.com/card/mir/278/reparations

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 6, 2023

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

You'd be looking for "targetted by a spell or ability" and this only says "spell". So it works on fatal push, bolt, unholy heat, etc. but not abilities (either triggered or activated) like the pitch elementals ETBs or a planeswalker or creature activation.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Procrastinator posted:

You'd be looking for "targetted by a spell or ability" and this only says "spell". So it works on fatal push, bolt, unholy heat, etc. but not abilities (either triggered or activated) like the pitch elementals ETBs or a planeswalker or creature activation.

oh duh

How on earth did I just completely skip that lol. tbh it's a wonder I can even play a game of magic with how little I actually end up thinking about the rules at all

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

oh duh

How on earth did I just completely skip that lol. tbh it's a wonder I can even play a game of magic with how little I actually end up thinking about the rules at all

that, counterintuitively, means the rules are clearly and well-written, because you're able to internalize them and implement them correctly without needing to check everything exactly every time. it's GOOD that magic has poo poo like layers, and it's even better that we don't need them in 99% of games.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

love her :allears:

Legendary Creature - Elf Noble
Whenever you scry, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
4GU: Scry 2.

drat this is sick.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kinda surprised it's not a dfc with gollum on the other side

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That's a hella neat design.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Elvish Hymn - 3G

Enchantment (Rare)

You may look at the top card of your library at any time.

You may cast creature spells from the top of your library.

Creatures you control have "Tap: Add one mana of any color".

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 6, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Lots of very fun cards and Red Meathook Massacre, interesting.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

meanolmrcloud posted:

They ran outta clean designs half a decade ago. Complexity is good and should be encouraged.

It feels special nowadays whenever we get a card with a one word name.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Goddamn this set is cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cool set but they should post some stories so we know about this plane and all these legendaries.

Dysgenesis posted:

It feels special nowadays whenever we get a card with a one word name.

Feels like you should have a really strong, solid, clear design for cards like that too. Fritzy's Ritzy Kill can have some draft archetypes word salad, but a spell called Kill should pretty unequivocally destroy permanents without EULA written on the card.

Don't know if this is historically true, but I like the Anger cycle. Good use of one word concepts

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

god help me I want to play this in nic fit just because

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Apparently someone got a collector booster packs early and are showing them off on whatnot. Most of these are Commander cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Strong Sauce posted:

Apparently someone got a collector booster packs early and are showing them off on whatnot. Most of these are Commander cards

hopefully they and their spouse or roommates have undergone resistance training because the pinkertons are en route