Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

whydirt posted:

Just finished season 1 of Fantasy High and the live production format of season 2 is very distracting.

Oh poo poo don't bitch about the almonds or Brennan WILL snap.

For real though, the audio is definitely a lot harder to follow in the live format, I have a hard time hearing some of them at some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

CK07 posted:

I'm pissed that I slept through this, I was so excited about it but figured I could watch it later. But the recording is unfortunately paywalled.

I am having this problem too, I'm stuck about five or six episodes in. I'll get around to finishing it but it's now fallen below finishing the newest seasons of Um, Actually and Dirty Laundry.

Just 'cause I haven't said it in a while: Um, Actually owns and is one of my favorite shows on "TV". Consistently good and funny. I want them to never stop making it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

timp posted:

Just 'cause I haven't said it in a while: Um, Actually owns and is one of my favorite shows on "TV". Consistently good and funny. I want them to never stop making it.

Bad news! It’s going on hiatus.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is something wrong with me? Tried watching play it by ear, and I dunno, I just bounced off it hard

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is something wrong with me? Tried watching play it by ear, and I dunno, I just bounced off it hard

It takes a particular kind of theater kid to really get into that show. Sam is clearly one of them.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Bad news! It’s going on hiatus.

:gonk: gently caress why did I have to say something?!

I've actually been (re?)watching it from the beginning which has been great because hell if I can remember questions answers and jokes from season 1 in 2018. So much so, in fact, that I often question if I ever even saw it at all!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It takes a particular kind of theater kid to really get into that show. Sam is clearly one of them.

I absolutely loved Welcome to Mountport but I never got far into Play It By Ear, it just didn't grab me. I'll give it another go sometime.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

timp posted:

:gonk: gently caress why did I have to say something?!

I've actually been (re?)watching it from the beginning which has been great because hell if I can remember questions answers and jokes from season 1 in 2018. So much so, in fact, that I often question if I ever even saw it at all!

On the plus side, that seems to be one of the shows they're going to keep making. It's not cancelled, just like they do with the other shows they need time to set up the next season and it'll be back.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I threw Trapp some money on Cameo last year to send my partner an Um, Actually themed birthday message and he was a real mensch about it. I'm glad he's still getting to do stuff with CH/Dropout, even if it's only part time.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Musical improv loses a lot in the translation from live performance to recorded video

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

whydirt posted:

Musical improv loses a lot in the translation from live performance to recorded video

On the other hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2o6x8mdL4

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

whydirt posted:

I think PIBE suffers from just being too much. Putting it on stage instead of behind podiums, giving too much guidance, one too many people, maybe even one too many songs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That entire episode is a must watch.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
as someone who’s listened to tons of Off Book on long drives, the quality of a lot of them are super uneven because it’s really hard to have guests that can come close to Zach and Jess. Welcome to Mountport was lightning in a bottle and I would say that Whimsy on Wheels from S1 reaches that same high. the rest of season 1 ranges from “pretty good” to “this is clearly not your best effort”

I don’t think that it was a coincidence that Whimsy on Wheels has two guests that come closer to the levels that Zach and Jess can hit than a lot of the other episodes with weaker guests did (Skyline Flight 314 - go away!)

also - the Game Changer prompts on both musical episodes have been a lot funnier and lead to better setups than the often-contrived ones in PIBE (though it seems at least in episode 1 of season 2 this is getting dialed back)

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

CK07 posted:

I'm pissed that I slept through this, I was so excited about it but figured I could watch it later. But the recording is unfortunately paywalled.

Don't know if you've seen this yet, but Critical Role put it all on YouTube a few hours ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbKt0jcX-I&ab_channel=CriticalRole

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Agaragon posted:

Don't know if you've seen this yet, but Critical Role put it all on YouTube a few hours ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbKt0jcX-I&ab_channel=CriticalRole

:dance: thank you!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nah, nothing wrong, I bounced off it too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

when Brennan commits, he commits.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This week's episode was just so fun for how unhinged everyone is getting, most of all Raphaniel. Or, in other words:

double nine posted:

when Brennan commits, he commits.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I love Brennan being unhinged, and I love Zac being... uncomplicated.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I do have to say Lou going all-in on burning shitloads of bridges with characters is fearless in the best way possible

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It's always fantastic to see just how hard Lou will commit to his characters. This group too I can actually see ending the season with some PVP, which I'd be very interested in after that fizzled out in Bloodkeep and CoC

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After those failures Brennan's just like 'fine, I'll do it myself'.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

MikeJF posted:

After those failures Brennan's just like 'fine, I'll do it myself'.

This is the most Brennan logic, and I am here for it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It's always fantastic to see just how hard Lou will commit to his characters. This group too I can actually see ending the season with some PVP, which I'd be very interested in after that fizzled out in Bloodkeep and CoC

Yeah, this is one where I really think we're gonna get PVP. In Bloodkeep, it was pretty clear early on that they were gonna be friends, but here it's like, every episode they seem to be changing more and drifting further apart in the most fascinating way.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

final showdown are going to be a three-way fight between Provolone & Amangeaux vs Karna & Delissandro, with Raphaniel off to the side doing his own spore-infested? thing

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Make Some Noise -- Basically That's a Bird Fact

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Make Some Noise -- Basically That's a Bird Fact

goddamned now I have to watch it

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

double nine posted:

goddamned now I have to watch it

It's just an aside during a dinosaur prompt, but I found it hysterical.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Nah Brennan got to go full bird facts during another prompt

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nah Brennan got to go full bird facts during another prompt

The most ironic thing is that it's a myth that ostriches bury their head in the ground, and Brennan mentioned that as part of the roast. FAKE BIRD FACTS!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

colin provolone makes me laugh constantly

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gorgug would be proud

goddamned face of the episode

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 8, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

eke out posted:

colin provolone makes me laugh constantly
No one knows how to immediately cut the tension with a dumb joke like Zac

Also I already miss the biscuit man

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Froghammer posted:

No one knows how to immediately cut the tension with a dumb joke like Zac

Also I already miss the biscuit man

That man is the living embodiment that timing is what matters in comedy

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that voice will haunt me for the rest of time

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

That man is the living embodiment that timing is what matters in comedy

him going from "you're alive?" to "not for long!" had me laughing so much, along with everyone else's obvious delight that nonchalant Colin was 1000% into killing his dad and absolutely not here to talk to him or forgive him or hear him out

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The main D20 crew all having very different comedic styles and personalities is a big part of why I think it works so well. A party of all Ally or Zac or Emily, etc wouldn’t work as well as the variety.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I have a theory that the hungry one is a garbage disposal? Deus Pahzel or whatever they said with the metal teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

run on sentience posted:

I have a theory that the hungry one is a garbage disposal? Deus Pahzel or whatever they said with the metal teeth

Disposal is what the radish is tapping into. Based on the original run, the hungry one is very much them being eaten. Deus Pahzel is something outside of the Bulb/Hungry One duality--disposal as you've suggesting