Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know if I've played a single CRPG where every fight was meaningful.

probably the closest to this is Divinity Original Sin 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, D:OS2 had great encounter design. I think Shadowruns Dragonfall and Hong Kong deserve an honourable mention on that account.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, D:OS2 had great encounter design. I think Shadowruns Dragonfall and Hong Kong deserve an honourable mention on that account.

Yeah I agree completely. Though the latter games benefit from being much shorter CRPGs so you get more curated fights with many different avenues to go about each individual situation.

D:OS2 is probably more comparable to an owlcat game due to the sheer length of it. Though I think the nature of their battle system probably helps them there. Manipulating terrain/effects, using utility like teleport and dealing with enemy armor is such a major part of dealing with fights. Like you can't just waste an entire enemy group with one spell or whatever. Unless that spell is corpse explosion and you snuck 20 corpses near a boss with stealth before the battle started.

But even shenanigans usually requires some effort and taking advantage of some resources in the area you are in. That lends itself to more interesting encounters in general. So yeah, making most battles feel meaningful can be done but is tricky. And it certainly isn't Owlcat's thing for better or worse.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 6, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think it's important to sometimes have fights you can curbstomp so the player can feel good about becoming stronger.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it's important to sometimes have fights you can curbstomp so the player can feel good about becoming stronger.

That's very fair.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Lassitude posted:

If combat/interface elements were snappier the combat would be less tedious in some cases. Most enemies die in one or two shots, it's the slow animations and the delays around actions and annoying forced camera moves that drag everything out.
You do know that you can speed up the animations in the settings?

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Just a bit more enemy model variety would help fights seem less rote. It doesn't need to be anything radical, even just some Hacked Servo-Skulls or Necromundan Space-Cats running around so there isn't quite so much deleting stacks of Bruiser and Shooter Rebels.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nektu posted:

this does help

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nektu posted:

Oh man, thnaks.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Spacebar during an enemy's turn puts them in fast mode too. Not yours though, just ends it which I learned the hard way lol. Annoying since it did both in Pathfinder iirc

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Man, I'm a bit torn about continuing. Like I'm actually enjoying the game a lot of what I've played, but I also note that alot of stuff I wanted to do with my character are currently like not implemented or incomplete, and I'm just sort of wondering if I should put it off and instead try to get back to it when the full game releases, which hopefully won't be very long.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Randarkman posted:

should put it off and instead try to get back to it when the full game releases + 6 months

Trust me.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I ended up regretting it when I played WOTR in alpha. I really enjoyed my time playing it then but it was seriously unpolished and then when I played the game on release I wasn't able to get as invested as I had the first time I played.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, I think I'm probably going to put a hold to play this. I might maybe go for a short run of the intro and first system (seems to be that you do that with gathering up the navigator and explorator and such and then it's supposed to open up a bit) with a character that only uses like the stuff marked as kind of complete and try to only make choices I wouldn't make in a later full run.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Nephthys posted:

I ended up regretting it when I played WOTR in alpha. I really enjoyed my time playing it then but it was seriously unpolished and then when I played the game on release I wasn't able to get as invested as I had the first time I played.

yeah me too, i've been thru WOTR about five times and three of those were in beta, i feel like i missed out but also i can't summon the power to do a full playthru of the busted paths i already played

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
For anyone using Toybox, have you figured out how to add navigator's points?

EDIT: turns out you can edit the save pretty easily. Open the save as an archive, navigate to player.json, and search for NavigatorResource.

GO FUCK YOURSELF fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 7, 2023

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mad Wack posted:

yeah me too, i've been thru WOTR about five times and three of those were in beta, i feel like i missed out but also i can't summon the power to do a full playthru of the busted paths i already played

I think it all depends on one's tolerance for the setting, honestly- I've restarted this about 4 times now, and I can definitely see myself doing further playthroughs. For those of you who played through and finished the WotR beta, did Owlcat slowly patch in the rest of the game (I understand that they didn't put in everything when that beta first came out)? Or did they just continually refine the bit of game that they did release?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CommissarMega posted:

I think it all depends on one's tolerance for the setting, honestly- I've restarted this about 4 times now, and I can definitely see myself doing further playthroughs. For those of you who played through and finished the WotR beta, did Owlcat slowly patch in the rest of the game (I understand that they didn't put in everything when that beta first came out)? Or did they just continually refine the bit of game that they did release?

Not the rest of the game, no. But more than where it started (though more adding to what was there than expanding how far the game went into the story) and then mechanics changes, voice acting, etc.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Mostly fixing things and adding Textures (Top level of Alushynira in chapter 4 was just polygons)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Olanphonia posted:

From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel.

The Blessed Machine goes brrr.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

The Space Puppy is apparently picked up in Commorragh, and thus is in Act 3. Which is in the beta, but not sure if anyone here has actually reached it yet. Or if they have, no one's talked about it.

For some reason I just got stuck trying to get to my ship at the start of chapter 3 so I can't tell you.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Found some four-armed friends while exploring. Glad to see them in the game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
right now when I talk to Heinrix's boss at the end of the Dargonus festivities, it gives me an "end dialogue" prompt way too early, as soon as I start talking about Janus, and kicks me forward to the time skip. So I'll probably hold off a bit until that's fixed

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh Blessed God-Emperor Upon the Golden Throne of Terra, I don't know what the gently caress I did to piss You off, but having to face not only a corrupted Magos, but TWO- count 'em, one plus one makes TWO- Daemon Engines is a little much, don't You think?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clearly not enough Exterminatus.

edit: In terms of my own progress, recently finished up the first chapter. The Chaos Marine wasn't the real problem in that fight, it was the Emperor-damned sniper hiding in the back.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 8, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Expose Weakness after you stack Clues on a dude is the way to go for the baddies. It'll chop off a third of their health

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonna wait for a couple of patches to play more, but drat I love this game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

right now when I talk to Heinrix's boss at the end of the Dargonus festivities, it gives me an "end dialogue" prompt way too early, as soon as I start talking about Janus, and kicks me forward to the time skip. So I'll probably hold off a bit until that's fixed

I also got this one :( not sure what triggers it, maybe the choices we made along the way on Janus?

Edit: While the game is very obviously unfinished and has some fights that are just too samey and long, it also offers a lot of fun moments and I really want to see the results of going the three Conviction routes.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 8, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

evilmiera posted:

I also got this one :( not sure what triggers it, maybe the choices we made along the way on Janus?

I let the aeldari have a kind of shadow influence on the planet

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I let the aeldari have a kind of shadow influence on the planet

I think I went the persuasion route on that one, but that did mean more or less leaving them alone, though perhaps not as influential. I presume the full on Imperial route might work.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pondering what my favorite companion quest is and it's probably got to be Jae's so far. Getting to tangle with the toughest enemy in all of 40k, the Imperium's bureaucracy (even in what amounts to a backwater with nowhere near the issues of the main body of the Administratum).

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

evilmiera posted:

Pondering what my favorite companion quest is and it's probably got to be Jae's so far. Getting to tangle with the toughest enemy in all of 40k, the Imperium's bureaucracy (even in what amounts to a backwater with nowhere near the issues of the main body of the Administratum).

That bit in the backend of that quest where you're waiting in line to do space paperwork was really fun. Literal lol when I chose the option to clear aside the benches and set up some comfy couches for my party to lounge on while waiting. Also the fact that you can just shoot randomly into the crowd to get to the front of the line, very appreciated touch

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

That bit in the backend of that quest where you're waiting in line to do space paperwork was really fun. Literal lol when I chose the option to clear aside the benches and set up some comfy couches for my party to lounge on while waiting. Also the fact that you can just shoot randomly into the crowd to get to the front of the line, very appreciated touch

Speaking of stuff like this, how is the game's tone? Like, does the game get that the Imperium is despicable?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Personally I feel like they nail it. There's no halfassing in their presentation of the Imperium as a vile, militantly zealous, racist, inhumane and pointlessly cruel regime. And you can play along with that with some very fun dialogue choices lol. Owlcat has a better understanding of the the Imperium than some Black Library authors imho

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I'm generally going Imperialis for my current run, and the game does go relatively hard on the "kill everyone, it's the only way to be sure" theme. It's only on one planet where I think the choices are less 'Imperialis', and more 'Inquisition Radical'. That said, I have made quite a few Benevolentia decisions that I'm hoping will bite me in the rear end.

That said, I think it's the more subtle implications of Imperial society outside of the alignment system that really sell how hosed the Imperium is- even the most benevolent saint can still do things like executing an officer for being caught in a surprise attack, or order the assassinations/purges of entire noble lines without dinging or shifting their alignment. It rules :allears:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DaysBefore posted:

Personally I feel like they nail it. There's no halfassing in their presentation of the Imperium as a vile, militantly zealous, racist, inhumane and pointlessly cruel regime. And you can play along with that with some very fun dialogue choices lol. Owlcat has a better understanding of the the Imperium than some Black Library authors imho

That's good to hear - even if their treatment of Regill had already left me hopeful in that regard.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mad Wack posted:

probably the closest to this is Divinity Original Sin 2

Colony Ship is also really good in this regard.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Colony Ship rules

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Speaking of stuff like this, how is the game's tone? Like, does the game get that the Imperium is despicable?

There's so much pointless cruelty you don't even think about it half the time, which is kind of the actual point I guess. Just the descriptions of how the resource extraction items work alone really emphasizes how poo poo the Imperium is at not even caring about the cost in human life as long as there's profit/expansion to be had. There's a colony management portion of the game where it gets really hard to find options that aren't just outright cruel to some part of your populace if you want to keep making more dough.

Edit: There's a hilarious part at the end of chapter 2 where even if you go the Benevolentia (good) route, in regards to your proper inaugeration as Rogue Trader, your subjects interpret your order to celebrate via feeding and tending to the poor's needs by giving them each a single day's ration of food and batteries and that's seen as you being generous .

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

evilmiera posted:

Just the descriptions of how the resource extraction items work alone really emphasizes how poo poo the Imperium is at not even caring about the cost in human life as long as there's profit/expansion to be had.

Yeah, you're basically planting a resource extractor on a planet along with an entire clan of workers, who'll probably spend the rest of their (and future generations') lives just exploiting the environment for your dynasty. It might be okay for those food extractors on relatively terran worlds, and goes to hilariously cruel when you dump a factory and hundreds of people on lava/airless worlds just 'cos you want metals to sell.

evilmiera posted:

Edit: There's a hilarious part at the end of chapter 2 where even if you go the Benevolentia (good) route, in regards to your proper inaugeration as Rogue Trader, your subjects interpret your order to celebrate via feeding and tending to the poor's needs by giving them each a single day's ration of food and batteries and that's seen as you being generous .

The sad thing is, that really is truly generous by Imperial standards.