Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bismack Billabongo posted:

On a Radiohead rankings note the band restocked LPs of all the studio albums but Kid A and Amnesiac on their Bandcamp if you are missing one and want to piss away thirty dollars.

Sidenote: Kid A Mnesiac is available on Bandcamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://youtu.be/0QXcO94xu3Q

gotta admit, I lol’d a bit

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I spent 9 minutes waiting for them to put AMSP in S tier but they never even got to it :smith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Donald Trump is 100% correct about everything except HTTT.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

That last discussion got me to go back and listen to Thom Yorke’s discography, KOTL, and The Smile and I kiiiiiinda think The Smile is Thom Yorke’s new band. Or in other words: he fired everybody but Johnny and got a drummer that can organically create the wonky drum patterns he’s been obsessed with. And now he has a band that’s tailored to making the music he’s been trying to write (for twenty years now) without needing a MacBook, and without the baggage of being a legacy act.

Framboise posted:

I spent 9 minutes waiting for them to put AMSP in S tier but they never even got to it :smith:
I’m going to be honest I did think about this in bed last night.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pablo Honey was their best album and it's just been a slow downhill slump since then

is an awful opinion I just saw about gorillaz' first album in another thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hedrigall posted:

"Stop Whispering" was their best song and it's just been a slow downhill slump since then

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

Pablo Honey was their best album and it's just been a slow downhill slump since then

is an awful opinion I just saw about gorillaz' first album in another thread

I agree with whoever posted that and consider the band to have become what it was initially railing against. They're what Thom once succinctly described as fridge buzz at this point, imo.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

That last discussion got me to go back and listen to Thom Yorke’s discography, KOTL, and The Smile and I kiiiiiinda think The Smile is Thom Yorke’s new band. Or in other words: he fired everybody but Johnny and got a drummer that can organically create the wonky drum patterns he’s been obsessed with. And now he has a band that’s tailored to making the music he’s been trying to write (for twenty years now) without needing a MacBook, and without the baggage of being a legacy act.

It's really impressive how much they accomplish with just the three of them. I think you might be right though and with recent news that they're already deep into recording another Smile record, it's really difficult to imagine another from Radiohead in the future. They haven't made a song and dance about "That's over now" or anything and may some day get together for another tour, but it seems like Thom in particular is always writing and recording something and Jonny is eager to keep creating too, whereas the rest of Radiohead don't seem as passionate and I think they might all be happy to just leave it as "Let's just say nothing and if one day we all feel like it we can" and that's that.

The Smile having taken some Radiohead songs that the latter presumably couldn't make work (Skrting On The Surface being a beautiful example) definitely adds to the feeling of what you described. I think without so many cooks in the kitchen they're much more efficient as well, which we're seeing with the speed of output and yeah, I can see this replacing Radiohead or the desire to make any more solo albums.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think Radiohead is done yet. Phil recently said as much.

quote:

Clearly you have been busy making this great record of your own. So it doesn’t feel like the Smile is holding things up in terms of being able to get back to Radiohead?

SELWAY: No, it’s a mutually agreed and beneficial time away from the band. The band still very much exists, and we get together quite often and talk about potential future plans. But I mean we’ve been going nearly 40 years as a band. I think it’s really healthy that we have these periods away from it. When we do something again together, we know it will be for the right reasons, and it will have that kind of enthusiasm and excitement about doing it. So this whole process around all these other projects, that all feeds into it as well.
At some point they will have made their last album and played their last show, but I doubt they know any better than the rest of us when that point is.

I also think if Thom and Jonny had decided to leave Radiohead behind and just have The Smile be their band from now on, they'd be playing at least one Radiohead song at their shows. He's never been shy about putting Radiohead songs alongside his other songs in any other context, but with The Smile he hasn't touched their discography with a ten foot pole, even when they were clearly short on material and could have easily gotten away with some obscure B-sides or something. It's like he's going out of his way not to step on their toes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apparently Guardians of the Galaxy 3 begins with the acoustic version of Creep and they just uploaded it to the official Radiohead YouTube channel a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BX5xpB2DBM

That feels weird, especially since they've tried to distance themselves from that song, right? Oh well, get that paper I suppose lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They got tired as being known as "that band that won't play Creep anymore" so they started playing it again last tour. Thom also released a bizarre remix of it last year in 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRAGR91CHQ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Volte posted:

They got tired as being known as "that band that won't play Creep anymore" so they started playing it again last tour. Thom also released a bizarre remix of it last year in 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRAGR91CHQ

I saw them play creep on HTTT tour. They didn’t play it never, just not often.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BigFactory posted:

I saw them play creep on HTTT tour. They didn’t play it never, just not often.
They played it very sporadically. Only about 25 performances between 1998 and 2016 according to setlist.fm, and then they started playing it regularly again during the 2016 tour with another 18 performances on the post-AMSP tours alone. Notably they retired it completely for the TKOL tour, many people assumed for good, so when they played it at one of the first shows of the AMSP tour it was a pretty big shock.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, it's a fuckin great song

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

It always makes me smile about how with Creep you can basically do the dominos meme with "smallest domino > Jonny just loving around and going JUGGA to be silly" and "Largest domino > One of the most influential bands of the last 30 years"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Radiohead arguably created nu metal when you think about it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Rageaholic posted:

Apparently Guardians of the Galaxy 3 begins with the acoustic version of Creep and they just uploaded it to the official Radiohead YouTube channel a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BX5xpB2DBM

That feels weird, especially since they've tried to distance themselves from that song, right? Oh well, get that paper I suppose lol

This totally was used in a flash music video on newgrounds ca 2005. It triggered a very specific nostalgia region for me.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
BRING BACK NEWGROUNDS YOU COWARDS

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

When I got into Radiohead, the software application Kazaa is all had. I had to download each song individually, typing in each song name on the tracklist I found on atease.

So I built Pablo Honey unknowingly with the acoustic version of Creep and thought that was the official version of the song for years. I was confused why it was so popular.

Also I did this with a remix of “Climbing Up The Walls” on OK Computer.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SgtScruffy posted:

It always makes me smile about how with Creep you can basically do the dominos meme with "smallest domino > Jonny just loving around and going JUGGA to be silly" and "Largest domino > One of the most influential bands of the last 30 years"

I thought the guitar on Creep was because Jonny genuinely hated the song? Could swear he talked about it that way once, describing that he just wanted to ruin it with noise. Wild that he couldn't even play any instruments when he joined the band :stare: His keyboard story is funny.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

When I got into Radiohead, the software application Kazaa is all had. I had to download each song individually, typing in each song name on the tracklist I found on atease.

Anyone else remember downloading the fake Kid A leak on Napster? :haw:

The internet wasn't ubiquitous and articles said it was completely different and weird so it was the ideal environment for whoever did that :v:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I downloaded Amnesiac (probably on Morpheus or Scour lol) but it was the entire album in one file so I only ever got as far as like, You and Whose Army? and it took me years to finally get fully into the album.

As far as Radiohead being dead and The Smile being the new Radiohead, I think that's a bit overblown. Even if Radiohead never records another full album together under that name, I think all five members are going to collaborating forever in one way or another. You might get a random track under a weird band name with 4 members, or all 5 will come together to record some song for a benefit album, or Phil and Ed will join Thom for a few tracks on a new Eraser album, etc. Sort of like The Beatles.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm in favor of bands/artists not officially "retiring" until they either die or just make a huge life change and truly don't want to do music anymore. Most musicians never really stop being musicians. No need to artificially end something you enjoy just so you can "go out on top" or whatever. (That certainly applies to TV shows, but not just like... being an artist.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just figure this is the very common thing that long-running bands do where they just…stop for a decade and then suddenly there’s a new album out of nowhere. It would not be out of the ordinary to not see another Radiohead album until 2026.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

On the other hand you get plenty of bands that put out an album every 2-3 years long after they've run out of ideas - like an obligation.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

On the other hand you get plenty of bands that put out an album every 2-3 years long after they've run out of ideas - like an obligation.

Depeche Mode says hi.

(Memento Mori is actually pretty decent, fwiw)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

Depeche Mode says hi.

(Memento Mori is actually pretty decent, fwiw)

Booooo, they only put out like 2 albums a decade and they've all been good or better!

Obviously there will always be those sad examples, like actors who keep being in terrible movies to pay off gambling debts. But I still prefer "just going away for a while and will be back if we feel like it" to a pointless "retirement" (which is usually just a marketing ploy that doesn't stick anyway)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amnesiac is like the only album I bought at midnight release that actually was worth hanging out in a record store until midnight for

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Amnesiac is the best one

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Been revisiting some of Thom's stuff and while listening to Judge, Jury and Executioner I had a vague recollection of it previously being a Radiohead song? I'm not talking about Myxomatosis, I know that uses the name as well, but when looking on Wikipedia I saw something that I think confirms my thoughts?

quote:

Daniel Kreps of Spin depicted the earlier version of the song as "a dark, aggressive centerpiece among the post-Eraser material", whereas the final version was "mellower and more harmonious".

I think it might have been a song that was performed live-only for a while and people wondered when it would finally appear on a record, and the final version was an Atoms For Peace track that was quite different? I think it might have been similar to Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses? Originally a heavier live Radiohead song that Thom reworked into something electronic for the final version? I haven't been able to find anything on YouTube but since they're apparently deleting a lot of old videos this year, I'd love to try and track down a performance of the original version of this song, unless I'm remembering wrong and the guy in the Spin quote from Wikipedia is thinking of something else too?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
As far as I know (or can find online, including the Citizen Insane page on it) it's not related to any Radiohead song. It kind of reminds me of Lotus Flower a little bit but otherwise I can't hear any Radiohead song I know in it.

edit: the reference to the "earlier version" probably means the live versions from the 2009/2010 tours, as opposed to the 2013 release on the Amok album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwY0i8Q5Bdk

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 26, 2023

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for clarifying!

Been going through a lot of Thom's solo stuff to finish up my own personal versions of TKOL & AMSP/ALFAA.

Skirting on the Surface, Dawn Chorus & True Love Waits is a hell of a way to end an album :stare:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Any thoughts on 2023 releases?

Apparently there's footage somewhere from a show in North America where Thom says he's hoping they can get the next Smile album out before their Summer '23 tour, and given that they were deep into recording it months ago (7 weeks of recording was reported back in March) I think it seems likely? Not sure when their Summer tour actually kicks off, but I have a feeling that they probably finished recording the second album and since then the focus has probably been on mixing and sorting out the track listing, artwork and so on. Maybe we might get a surprise drop soon-ish? I think it seems a given that they'll release it this year?

I've been wondering about Radiohead as well. No expectations for a new album from them any time soon but they did release OKNOTOK in 2017, along with Kid Amnesia in 2021 and if we stay consistent with the 20-year anniversary releases, then next up would be the 20-year anniversary of Hail To The Thief, which has no shortage of b-sides, probably further unreleased material and of course Thom sharing an alternate track listing way back. I don't think it seems unreasonable to suspect that they may have anniversary releases for previous Radiohead albums in the works? HTTT has the potential to be an exciting project for them to revisit, In Rainbows perhaps less so since aside from even more b-sides (that weren't on the bonus disc) there's not as much potential, but when they get to TKOL I think they could put together a very special package with everything from those sessions.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wanna hear those abandoned Spike Stent-produced In Rainbows sessions, if they do an anniversary edition.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Does anybody care enough about hail to the thief to buy an anniversary edition of it tho

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Does anybody care enough about hail to the thief to buy an anniversary edition of it tho

It me

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
HTTT is good, actually

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The band has said they don't think HTTT is that good so I dunno if we'll see much fanfare. If anything I could see them releasing another "try" at it, a new tracklist and mix to make it fit together, but if anything that seems like something they'd put on Bandcamp or something and not a major anniversary release.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

HD DAD posted:

HTTT is good, actually

Emptyquote

Edit ^^^ well the band is dumb and wrong

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HD DAD posted:

HTTT is good, actually
:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

A double LP version of HTTT that is the thom tracklist for disc one and then the album songs not on the tracklist + b-sides for disc two