Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

That reminds me of the 1941 Disney animators' strike, where they lynched and guillotined an effigy of Walt Disney

oh hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
you once again have the legal right to tell your boss to gently caress themselves (in very specific situations) https://labornotes.org/2023/05/biden-labor-board-restores-right-use-heated-language

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kingcobweb posted:

you once again have the legal right to tell your boss to gently caress themselves (in very specific situations) https://labornotes.org/2023/05/biden-labor-board-restores-right-use-heated-language

hell yeah! it is a right to say "gently caress off/that" when your boss is going on about something outside your wheelhouse or trying to push in there

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

buddy of mine has been organizing

https://twitter.com/thebirdunion/status/1662203111266750464?s=46&t=Fvi-hhmDeherXb1fOGmnRw

edit: a lot of them do not like the name “Bird Union.” I think it’s funny but there are concerns it means management won’t take them seriously. if thread has better suggestions I’ll pass them on.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I like it. if management doesn’t take their workers seriously they can find out the results. but I’m usually a bigger fan of humor in typically serious situations than most.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Birding Class Heroes

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

buddy of mine has been organizing

https://twitter.com/thebirdunion/status/1662203111266750464?s=46&t=Fvi-hhmDeherXb1fOGmnRw

edit: a lot of them do not like the name “Bird Union.” I think it’s funny but there are concerns it means management won’t take them seriously. if thread has better suggestions I’ll pass them on.

my two thoughts are:

firstly its too late now. if you went to the NLRB as bird union, well, now you're bird union. sorry but that's what all the press releases say.

secondly at no point would a more serious name ever make management take you seriously, because language isnt what changes management behavior

anyways the people love a good bird union and tahts what matters, innit?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

anyways the people love a good bird union and tahts what matters, innit?

[Austin powers hears the phrase “bird union”] yeah baby [finds out it’s a labor organization] wait a tick

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Snowy posted:

Birding Class Heroes

A Birding Class Hero is something to be(ak).

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

I like it. if management doesn’t take their workers seriously they can find out the results. but I’m usually a bigger fan of humor in typically serious situations than most.

Lotta rhetoric potential there imo

"Don't flock with our wages" etc

Any plans to train a flock of crows to harass management?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I like it, when management complains about the picket line making GBS threads on their cars membership can just tap the sign

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bird Union rules

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

the website is erroring out

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

the website is erroring out

here's the actual decision from the NLRB

and for laughs here's some employer-side reporting: New NLRB ruling makes life harder for employers: Here’s how

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

one of my favorite exchanges in a bargaining session was a union rep swearing at an HR director about something, and the HR director saying "you can't talk to me like that!"

"I can say anything i want and talk to you however the gently caress i want, ask your attorney!"

and the attorney just sits there looking at the table

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Man now I'm disappointed by how polite our bargaining team was

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anger alone is wasteful, but it's okay to let it out sometimes as long as you're still going to bargain hard and perform work actions

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
a strike brewing in… esports???

https://twitter.com/NALCSPA/status/1663039093557608448?s=20

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

anger alone is wasteful, but it's okay to let it out sometimes as long as you're still going to bargain hard and perform work actions

The most galling thing about the 2020 ruling was that it was in conjunction with a safety meeting. That leads me to believe that the company were being shitheels about a safety issue, he called them on it, and got fired for his trouble.

Anger and profanity in another setting might even be counterproductive, depending on the situation but I’m going to bat for my people come hell or high water when it comes to physical safety at work. I don’t care what some sniveling nitwit manager has to say about it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/PAME_Greece/status/1663489751209394177

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
ohhhhh gently caress. this is really bad.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1664287708070461441?s=20

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

jesus christ

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
8-1 jfc

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
A former National Labor Relations Board attorney told Bloomberg Law that the labor movement dodged a bullet with Thursday’s decision.
“Anyone who understands labor law and is on the side of labor is breathing a sigh of relief,” said Anne Marie Lofaso, a labor law professor at West Virginia University. “The decision left Garmon preemption completely intact. It really is all about concrete.”

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/supreme-court-allows-company-to-sue-union-for-strike-destruction

🤞

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

kingcobweb posted:

A former National Labor Relations Board attorney told Bloomberg Law that the labor movement dodged a bullet with Thursday’s decision.
“Anyone who understands labor law and is on the side of labor is breathing a sigh of relief,” said Anne Marie Lofaso, a labor law professor at West Virginia University. “The decision left Garmon preemption completely intact. It really is all about concrete.”

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/supreme-court-allows-company-to-sue-union-for-strike-destruction

🤞
how much of this is true and how much is cope, would you say. for lack of a better term

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

how much of this is true and how much is cope, would you say. for lack of a better term

I think it’s legit

will leaders at major unions still use it as an excuse to not strike? hopefully not

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That's a good explanation i hadn't seen yet, makes me feel a little better

what doesn't is the open invitation to look at Garmon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

on the surface that judgment looks like you just gotta be careful to time strikes so there isnt like a warehouse full of truffles that go to waste, which in turn means that mangement will make sure to keep a warehouse full of truffles to prevent strikes. but then that fucks up their margins so idk i got a lil off track i think

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

on the surface that judgment looks like you just gotta be careful to time strikes so there isnt like a warehouse full of truffles that go to waste, which in turn means that mangement will make sure to keep a warehouse full of truffles to prevent strikes. but then that fucks up their margins so idk i got a lil off track i think

I think the bigger issue that is that more companies are now more inclined to sue unions over "damages", and I don't think that ends well for unions in most cases.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

judgement's meant to set up a chilling effect on the looming ups strike. the teamsters are going to be financially liable for all the hurt feels caused by people not having slave labor to deliver their treats in a prompt fashion

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

My understanding is the workers intentionally mixed concrete so that it would harden and cause losses, specifically inside equipment and trucks that the scabs/management had to clean and did not end up damaged.

If true, that's sabotage. Did not know the auto workers were this cool :cool:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if a company sues you for damages it means it's time to intensify the damages

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

vibe check:

management is hiring a new boss for my (unionized) department. we have great influence, but certainly not final say, in the hiring process. 4 semi-finalists have been announced.

what are your thoughts on cold-contacting their current and/or former subordinates on social media for more intel?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

vibe check:

management is hiring a new boss for my (unionized) department. we have great influence, but certainly not final say, in the hiring process. 4 semi-finalists have been announced.

what are your thoughts on cold-contacting their current and/or former subordinates on social media for more intel?

Try to find out if their departments were unionized while the finalists were there. Also be open-ended in your questions when direct contacting

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

Try to find out if their departments were unionized while the finalists were there. Also be open-ended in your questions when direct contacting

I know for a fact all of them were already unionized and have been for at least 60 years. after also checking with my colleagues that this isn't crossing some cultural boundary I'm not aware of, I contacted employees at one firm and got 2 responses: 1 was from someone who just left and was very candid and enthusiastic about their ex-boss, 1 was shocked to learn their supervisor was looking for a new gig and said she'd get back to me- too stunned to compose a response for now

going to trawl linkedin and facebook for the other firms today.

also: I'm now officially the provisional assistant shop steward until the next election in the fall, and our shop steward is saying she's burned-out and might not run again so I might take over with someone else new as the assistant steward.

fortunately my copy of Rules To Win By just arrived

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's Go.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

I know for a fact all of them were already unionized and have been for at least 60 years. after also checking with my colleagues that this isn't crossing some cultural boundary I'm not aware of, I contacted employees at one firm and got 2 responses: 1 was from someone who just left and was very candid and enthusiastic about their ex-boss, 1 was shocked to learn their supervisor was looking for a new gig and said she'd get back to me- too stunned to compose a response for now

going to trawl linkedin and facebook for the other firms today.

also: I'm now officially the provisional assistant shop steward until the next election in the fall, and our shop steward is saying she's burned-out and might not run again so I might take over with someone else new as the assistant steward.

fortunately my copy of Rules To Win By just arrived

Good luck. Steward work is really beneficial for people if someone with militancy and energy is able to do it, the contract protection work between bargaining is hyper important! going through our own first grievance here with a new contract and trying to protect some coworkers from unfairly losing hours. The fight never ends

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've been a steward for like five years now, some of the most rewarding work i've ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
It owns but also be careful of burn out and set boundaries