Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

Probably find a second hand camcorder on eBay. If you can watch the tapes back on the camcorder display and confirm you want to transfer them, a USB capture device for whatever the camcorder outputs.
Since its MiniDV it might have a FireWire connection, which could be used to get a straight digital capture...although depending what the OP has they'd probably need adapters, and I think Thunderbolt/USB4 is the only thing there's adapters for. And then you'd need software that can capture it, no clue if stuff these days still can.

So uh yeah just analog capture is gonna be easier. Decent little USB video capture adapters can be had for super cheap these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Brrrmph posted:

I'm sorry that your brother passed. Hope you're doing OK.

Thanks. I still miss the bastard, but it's getting easier. Slowly.

I've seen some possibilities on eBay, but it's always fun trying to find something that's both reasonably priced and not described as clearly broken in the description. (I understand, obsolete technology can be a bastard to deal with. I was just kind of hoping that maybe there was one last manufacturer out there making shitbox versions of stuff you could play this on, like those cheap-poo poo phono and cassette mechanisms that all come from that one company.) Deffo not looking for anything super-high-quality just yet, like I said I don't know if he shot these or if he's in the tapes, or even how much is on each one. Right now I just want to figure out how to view the bloody things, and then decide how much I'm going to spend preserving them after the fact.

The library is definitely a possibility. One or two of the branches around here lend out all kinds of crazy things; the one up in the woods will let you check out hammocks and walking sticks. I know there are some AV projects going, I might see if I can track down someone there. I'm also going to try reaching out to his old team (the Tragic City Rollers out of Birmingham, AL) cause maybe they'd be interested in recovering a little team history.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Hi everybody!

I am looking to get a decent camera and a lens or two (would consider second hand from reputable dealers). I don't want this gear to be a limiting factor but I can't justify the big bucks at the moment.

What you are looking to buy - Any brand (4/3rds and up) and a wide angle lens. A portrait lens, perhaps later if not in my current budget.

Budget - £1000 (can go a bit higher).

Your photo gear you already have - iPhone 7, no really.

What you plan on using your purchase for - Scapes, Street, Portraits and perhaps Nature later on. No video.

What you find limiting about what you have now - Nothing, returning to photography since my OM2 days. Oh and a D70 more recently.

I would appreciate any advice.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Buy pre-owned and stuff that's a few years old, you will save a lot.

First recommendation that comes to mind for that budget would be the fujis.

Fujifilm xt3 - £550-600

Wide angle
fujifilm 16mm f2.8 - £300ish

Portrait
Fujifilm 50mm f2 -£300ish

Very small and light set-up.

Or you could get the 18-55 xf kit lens to do both. Won't be as sharp but for a kit lens is very good, and it's only about £350.

Once you feel the need for better optics Fuji have a range of sharper 1.4s but they are double the price and often double the size and weight.

If you are happy with DSLRs there is some full frame options in your budget, something like D750 is still a phenomenal camera and you can get pro grade glass on f mount for very cheap now. But it's a discontinued system. You have to be ok with the existing lens lineup available on the 2nd hand market (although it's very very large)

If your want mirrorless you're priced out of FF with that budget, except for maybe a Sony A7Rii? Think that goes for around £800?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 12, 2023

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sigma also has an 18-50 2.8 for $500 new, although Fuji's 'kit' 18-55 2.8-4 is no slouch either if you don't mind the variable aperture. (Also none of sigma's Fuji lenses have an aperture ring)

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Thanks for the feedback, I am looking at an XT3 tomorrow in "very good condition" at £699 and there is a new 16mm f2.8 at Jessops for £329. I have a couple of Nikon zooms they should buy, bringing down the price of XT3 by enough to bring the lot to just under £1000!

MBP have the Sony A7Rii at £919 in "Excellent" condition but I think with a lens that will be way over my budget.

I like the small and light option with the XT3 so I am not likely to go the DSLR route.

Anyway I will let you know how I get on and thanks again.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i own a sony mirrorless but if you're just jumping in and don't have the extreme resolution needs, i'd confess the ergonomics are garbage compared to a fuji body.

so good on you there.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

JamesieAB posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I am looking at an XT3 tomorrow in "very good condition" at £699 and there is a new 16mm f2.8 at Jessops for £329. I have a couple of Nikon zooms they should buy, bringing down the price of XT3 by enough to bring the lot to just under £1000!

MBP have the Sony A7Rii at £919 in "Excellent" condition but I think with a lens that will be way over my budget.

I like the small and light option with the XT3 so I am not likely to go the DSLR route.

Anyway I will let you know how I get on and thanks again.

I recently go back into photography and got a used XT3, used 18-55 kit from mpb.com. I really enjoy the ergonomics of the xt3. I think it has a more photography friendly adjustable screen over the xt4. I like manually turning dials, giving me a reminder to think about the conditions and intent. The EVF has also been refreshing since moving from a DSLR. I did recently add the 70-300mm and I am loving it. My previous setup was a Nikon d7000 that I had bought used as well. I've passed the d7000 on to family.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Update:

Bought the XT3 (came with a smallrig but I had to buy an SD card) and 16mm f2.8 for just under £1k after a discount for my old Nikon lenses. I haven't had time to do much more than watch youtube videos and play around with the settings but will spend this weekend taking pictures.

Any recomendations for videos and other resources?

Are there any decent 3rd party batteries out there?

Thanks for the push towards the XT3, very impressed with the build quality and love the dials.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

JamesieAB posted:

Update:

Bought the XT3 (came with a smallrig but I had to buy an SD card) and 16mm f2.8 for just under £1k after a discount for my old Nikon lenses. I haven't had time to do much more than watch youtube videos and play around with the settings but will spend this weekend taking pictures.

Any recomendations for videos and other resources?

Are there any decent 3rd party batteries out there?

Thanks for the push towards the XT3, very impressed with the build quality and love the dials.

https://www.youtube.com/@pal2tech This guy isn't too bad. Search his channel for xt-3, he has a decent amount of stuff about it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

For Fuji, it’s hard to beat Pal2Tech and Omar Gonzales. They both have a recommended settings video for the X-T3 somewhere in their channels as well. Though the must-have tl;dr is:

- Turn on back button focus for AF-C mode.
- Turn off the focus beep (it’s annoying)
- Turn off “shutter without SD card” so you don’t accidentally spend a day shooting without a card in the slot.
- Probebly shoot RAW[F] to start so you get both Raw+Jpeg

I don’t have recommendations on third party batteries; I just used the Fuji brand ones. You probably want at least three.

Buy a shutter release button.

Congrats on your new camera. The X-T3 is a banger.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 18, 2023

murk
Oct 31, 2003

waffle enthusiast posted:

For Fuji, it’s hard to beat Pal2Tech and Omar Gonzales. They both have a recommended settings video for the X-T3 somewhere in their channels as well. Though the must-have tl;dr is:

- Turn on back button focus for AF-C mode.
- Turn off the focus beep (it’s annoying)
- Turn off “shutter without SD card” so you don’t accidentally spend a day shooting without a card in the slot.
- Probebly shoot RAW[F] to start so you get both Raw+Jpeg

I don’t have recommendations on third party batteries; I just used the Fuji brand ones. You probably want at least three.

Buy a shutter release button.

Congrats on your new camera. The X-T3 is a banger.

I'll second the shutter release button. Also, I have 2 Fuji legit batteries and 2 Wasbi batteries. The Wasbi have been fine so far.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

murk posted:

I'll second the shutter release button.

These look really cool and could be really helpful. Are the thread sizes and such standard across all camera bodies, or do I need to be sure to pick one that will fit my camera model? A lot of them list specific models in the product name but that always looks like SEO nonsense to me

murk
Oct 31, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

These look really cool and could be really helpful. Are the thread sizes and such standard across all camera bodies, or do I need to be sure to pick one that will fit my camera model? A lot of them list specific models in the product name but that always looks like SEO nonsense to me

I THINK with the fujis its standard? What brand\model do you have?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The thread is almost universal, as long as your shutter has a threaded release at all. In terms of late-model cameras, I think only Leica has their own proprietary thread (and only for a few models, mostly the M2xx series). Even they realized that this was dumb and backed off of it.

If you start buying vintage gear from before about WWII, all bets are off.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

murk posted:

I THINK with the fujis its standard? What brand\model do you have?

I have an X-T2, which is explicitly named as compatible in most of the items on Amazon, but I was just curious if I needed to limit my search or look for similar explicit mentions if I bought one elsewhere

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Can I use a powerbank with the usb c connector to charge the battery or even run the camera directly?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Charge yes, run no

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

JamesieAB posted:

Can I use a powerbank with the usb c connector to charge the battery or even run the camera directly?

You could look into dummy batteries to USB and then plug that into your powerbank.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

huhu posted:

You could look into dummy batteries to USB and then plug that into your powerbank.

Careful with voltage though, you can definitely fry a camera with that.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Careful with voltage though, you can definitely fry a camera with that.

Yeah, I think I'll give that a swerve.

Just downloaded firmware v5.0 and saw there's a FUJIFILM XApp for X/GFX cameras. I just downloaded it (on iphone and android tablet) and it seems a lot easier to use with wireless connections. It connects straight away where the old one was very fussy for me, sometines not connecting at all.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

JamesieAB posted:

Yeah, I think I'll give that a swerve.

Just downloaded firmware v5.0 and saw there's a FUJIFILM XApp for X/GFX cameras. I just downloaded it (on iphone and android tablet) and it seems a lot easier to use with wireless connections. It connects straight away where the old one was very fussy for me, sometines not connecting at all.

Where do you live? I can't see it yet, and it's supposed to go live on the 25th.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I'm in the uk. I got it from the app store and google play.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I have a pawn shop find xpro 1 that’s sort of fun - I saw today viltrox has a line of f1.4 x mount lenses, with some retailing for ~$300. That’s micro four thirds kinda money! Do any of them stick out as extra nice?

That nicer fujifilm app might inspire me to purchase a compatible body and one of those instax printers…

wolfs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 25, 2023

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

wolfs posted:

I have a pawn shop find xpro 1 that’s sort of fun - I saw today viltrox has a line of f1.4 x mount lenses, with some retailing for ~$300. That’s micro four thirds kinda money! Do any of them stick out as extra nice?

That nicer fujifilm app might inspire me to purchase a compatible body and one of those instax printers…

I noticed this in the XT3 Owners Manual (page 268) and the Ver.5.00 New Features Guide (page 37).

"instax SHARE printers
SP-1/SP-2/SP-3: Connect via wireless LAN to print pictures on instax film."

I thought there was only one fuji x system camera that can print to instax film. Does this mean the XT3 can print as well? If so can I print to other instax printers?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Picked up a used sigma EF-S 17-50 f/2.8, cause it was like 50 bucks more than the Tamron and had better reviews on the auto focus speed and accuracy. eBay seller sun factory jp delivered via FedEx for free so that was sweet.

I kinda wanted a step up on the kit and a fast aperture at 50mm, went from 5.4 at 50 to 2.8.

Feel mixed things about the uh 24 mm 2.8 prime I kind of made redundant but excited to play with new toys. The prime is lighter, the new sigma is sizably heavy compared to even uh the old kit lens I was using.

But 24 mm I found was suuuuper wide and busy for street scenes. 35 mm seems to be a sweet spot for me while travelling. And I'm trying to make an effort and shoot closer with 50 mm.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
used my 135mm today and the model was blown away by almost all of the shots

thats the god drat truth

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

there's a lot to be said for walking around with a prime telephoto

anymore 90% of my landscapes are beyond 135mm

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Dumb question: are graduated ND filters meant to be handheld vs full ND shots that require a tripod for longer exposures? I’m traveling in the next year and want to prep for sunsets without a tripod.

Also, any graduated ND filter system people like? I’m thinking the rectangle over the lens type so I can adjust as much as possible. Or is it significantly cheaper to get a couple round filters and get similar results?

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 5, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

they usually slot into a frame system that mounts on the front of a lens. then you can slide the filter up/down and change the angle to suit your composition

you could hand hold it, i suppose, for "normal" exposure time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there's a lot to be said for walking around with a prime telephoto

anymore 90% of my landscapes are beyond 135mm

for real you get some lovely stuff from them

I miss out on the odd scene but I can’t take photos for poo poo with a wide angle, and I get such great results from a 135

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Add me to the club of the longer I shoot landscapes, the longer l shoot landscapes.

You can always do a pano stitch if you want a wider angle than your prime will allow too, which will be fine as long as you're not too close as to cause a lot of distortion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I keep hunting for ways to get more silly aspect ratios like 3:1. Because gently caress the sky, I just need that tree to fill my peripheral from left to right.

I have a fairly high MP camera so I can crop quite a bit without much issue but it feels weird to throw away 2/3 of the sensor's pixels.

Unfortunately stitching panos makes me anxious, if I can't see the whole composition on the back of the camera it feels like a prayer. And the only other option is to go film and do 6x17 but man that's a rabbit hole I am not ready for.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

xzzy posted:

I keep hunting for ways to get more silly aspect ratios like 3:1. Because gently caress the sky, I just need that tree to fill my peripheral from left to right.

I have a fairly high MP camera so I can crop quite a bit without much issue but it feels weird to throw away 2/3 of the sensor's pixels.

Unfortunately stitching panos makes me anxious, if I can't see the whole composition on the back of the camera it feels like a prayer. And the only other option is to go film and do 6x17 but man that's a rabbit hole I am not ready for.

You should get a 617 just so you can see the slides on a light table. It makes it almost worth the 4 shots per roll

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately stitching panos makes me anxious, if I can't see the whole composition on the back of the camera it feels like a prayer.

Viewfinder apps help a ton with this. The good ones let you choose custom sensor sizes and adjust focal lengths accordingly, so you can really see what you have in mind before you shoot. They also help you make mental notes of where your boundaries should be for the frames. I still end up shooting them multiple times slightly differently to get around stitching issues though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Viewfinder apps help a ton with this.

That's a good point and I even have one of those apps.. I just always forget my phone is an option when I got the big camera out.

So maybe I should get less dumb.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spose there’s some kind of motorised device/tripod which can allow you to take a photo every 15 degrees or something idk

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There are a few different kinds that can do that kind of thing. Haven't played with any yet but I assume they would work pretty well

https://www.amazon.com/Motorized-Pa...UxoCB0QQAvD_BwE

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

echinopsis posted:

spose there’s some kind of motorised device/tripod which can allow you to take a photo every 15 degrees or something idk

There's an advanced one on Thingiverse if you can be bothered to DIY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

xzzy posted:

I keep hunting for ways to get more silly aspect ratios like 3:1.

There is one other option. It's also a rabbit hole but "don't throw away a bunch of your sensor area if the final is gonna be widescreen" is why anamorphic lenses exist. They squash the image horizontally (by common factors like 1.33, 1.5, 1.75, 1.9, 2.0) so you use your full taller-than-final-ratio sensor to capture, and then you stretch it back in post. You can see the full composition the entire time, albeit squashed.

You can buy and adapt straight up anamorphic lenses but they tend to be pretty expensive, since their main use is for actual cinema cameras. The silly semi-DIY route is to buy an old anamorphic projection lens, and mount it in front of a traditional lens. This means you have to double focus, unless you get a further single focus front attachment. There are limitations in terms of what normal lenses work for these setups, but manual focus primes longer than 85mm (assuming a full frame sensor) and smaller front diameters (52mm is good) are generally what you want.

@ 85mm f/2, 105mm f2.5, and 200mm f/4 iirc, plus a "2x" anamorphic projection lens that's more like 1.75x from what I can tell. On a Nikon Z6. The bottom one is a still from a video, which crops the sensor to 16:9 to start. Add the 1.75x squeeze and you end up with right around a 3:1 final (de-squeezed) ratio with no further cropping. Please excuse the lame test shots.

With anamorphic you also get artifacts like stretched bokeh, horizontal flares, and lost corner sharpness (especially wide open), which may help a "cinematic" look if that's what you're after.