Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

world tour is a great loss leader: it obviously took a stupid amount of resources to make, but the gamble is that a reasonably high quality single player product will be enough to get people to buy the game, familiarize themselves with the fundamentals through it, and then give online a shot once they're done. i think the numbers on steam alone speak for themselves with how good a strategy this is

i think the implementation of modern controls is one of capcom's smartest moves compared to previous attempts ala xrd, because it's not built to be The Noob Mode but, rather, a considered tradeoff between ease of execution and potential output. you're sacrificing special damage and more unpredictability with your moveset in exchange for consistency in your actions, something which is valuable even for veterans who aren't going to be able to mechanically execute under pressure optimally 100% of the time, and there's still enough raw inputs and combo potential available in modern that you don't feel like you've hit the end of mechanical mastery once you figure out how to press your three one button combos

Agreed. I think many other fighting games have great tutorials like Guilty Gear Strive but they still feel like a massive chore because it's just one giant menu with a million tutorials. Street Fighter created a whole mode where you can f around with no consequence but still see most of what the game has to offer and have some kind of progress.

I don't know if the MK games singleplayer is same as world tour mode since I haven't played them. Anyway happy fighting games are doing well. MK and Tekken look amazing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Took a break from world tour to try some Manon matches in battlehub.

Yeah, 5 medal Manon is gloriously stupid. It’ll be even more so when I can actually do the hit grab properly.

La la la la la la laaa

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Veev posted:

Tick throws are where you hit them with a move without much block/hit stun and then following up with a throw. It keeps them in place so they have less time to make a decision.

Empty jumps are just when you don't press a button in the air, you don't get landing frames that way so your grounded normal comes out faster. People are often looking to block high when you jump at them so you can empty jump and a get a quick low to open them up.

Cool, thanks.

Skypie posted:

Not sure who you're playing but it varies from character to character, and it has to be a special cancellable move for the Drive Impact cancel. Not every normal will do it.

Using Chun in modern, I'm trying the unique moves that the command list mentions can be cancelled into special moves. Her medium poke for example. I'm talking about drive impact not drive rush, just to be sure. Somebody mentioned cancelling into drive impacts from a normal to catch somebody else's drive impact. I haven't seen this yet in training, if the drive impact is supposed to come out earlier than usual, not just after the move.

Also for modern Ken, none of his unique moves mention cancelling into specials in the command list. But I notice in practice half of people's normal moves seem to combo into special moves anyway.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 6, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A very easy tick throw most characters is crLP grab. You're probably like +/-1 and won't get pushed too far away so you can be already in grab range or need to walk very slightly forward. It works really well.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Using Chun in modern, I'm trying the unique moves that the command list mentions can be cancelled into special moves. Her medium poke for example. I'm talking about drive impact not drive rush, just to be sure. Somebody mentioned cancelling into drive impacts from a normal to catch somebody else's drive impact. I haven't seen this yet in training, if the drive impact is supposed to come out earlier than usual, not just after the move.

Are you just doing the move then hitting Drive Impact without the normal connecting? You probably can't cancel on whiff.

Drive Impact cancel is really only useful in a situation where you press a button, someone does Drive Impact, your move connects with their armor and you hit Drive Impact back. I tested what moves worked for my character by going into training mode's Drive Impact thing. I would press a button as the CPU's started up then hit DI. If the move cancelled into DI, then I would counter theirs. If it didn't, I'd go splat

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skypie posted:

Are you just doing the move then hitting Drive Impact without the normal connecting? You probably can't cancel on whiff.

Drive Impact cancel is really only useful in a situation where you press a button, someone does Drive Impact, your move connects with their armor and you hit Drive Impact back. I tested what moves worked for my character by going into training mode's Drive Impact thing. I would press a button as the CPU's started up then hit DI. If the move cancelled into DI, then I would counter theirs. If it didn't, I'd go splat

Gotcha, thanks. Messing with that in training mode now, Chun's medium poke does cancel nicely after hitting. Haven't found something there for modern Ken, but it's always interesting learning new little things.

edit: crouching medium kick works for Ken

Long story short, mash the drive impact button a bit just in case.

Just got a tie drive impact in training, haven't seen that in the wild. Did get one double KO though, always fun.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 6, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah I'm genuinely struggling with the input for raw drive rush. Unsure why but I just get parry most of the time in games.

are you using the drive rush shortcut? instead of holding parry and then inputting dash, you can just do a dash with the parry on the second forward. so f, f+parry

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

The rank placement system is a bit jacked

It put my Manon in diamond right away, which... I am pretty bad with her. Compared to my Honda who I am much better with with a much higher win % rate, and right now I am just outside of Diamond with him.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[Makes fighting game content all day] yo this poo poo is whack it put me in pro tier

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

It put my Manon in diamond right away, which... I am pretty bad with her. Compared to my Honda who I am much better with with a much higher win % rate, and right now I am just outside of Diamond with him.

I've read about this happening to other people so I wonder if maybe it factors in ranking for other characters?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tortolia posted:

Took a break from world tour to try some Manon matches in battlehub.

Yeah, 5 medal Manon is gloriously stupid. It’ll be even more so when I can actually do the hit grab properly.

La la la la la la laaa

I have 3 hours played in VS mode basically all on Manon and a 33% WR but I'm having a goddamn blast and winning a set on a CA is the most satisfying poo poo because of lalala

e: idk if I have boomer hands or need lots of practice some poo poo but I can't even quarter circle reliably, forget about doing the halfcircle for her big command grab lol

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

People mentioned parrying is the answer to flying headbutt Honda. But also heard that you have quicker recovery blocking than parrying, so blocking then kicking him with a normal might be better? Is the move not very punishable etc?

Could I also kikosho his face perhaps?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

What's your Honda bnb if you don't mind me asking?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

People mentioned parrying is the answer to flying headbutt Honda. But also heard that you have quicker recovery blocking than parrying, so blocking then kicking him with a normal might be better? Is the move not very punishable etc?

I think the problem with headbutt honda is that it leaves him at a distance that not many fast normals can actually reach. Also I think parries have like the same frame data as blocking, I could be wrong though.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Only EX headbutt is punishable on block.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Heavy Metal posted:

parrying is 100% exactly the same as blocking if its not a perfect parry. Same frame data and everything. Only difference is it very slightly reduces pushback.

That said, Kikosho is strike invuln, so you can absolutely use it to react to it, although your tensho kicks (down down kick) are also air invulnerable frame 1, so thats a perfectly good thing to use if you can call him out.

*edit*

Not to shill my own videos but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie9zy12IBVs

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 6, 2023

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Metapod posted:

What's your Honda bnb if you don't mind me asking?

Honda succeeds mostly with the basics

like,
-cr. /LKLP, cr. LP, LP hands or MP headbutt
-st. MP, cr.LP, LP hands or MP headbutt
-cr. MK, LP~MP, Headbutt
off a punish counter DI: HK(1 hit) sumo stance launch, Buttslam, or launch then DR HP, HP Hands or sumo stance slaps

of course you can get elaborate as you want, but those basics will get you far.

Or just do this stupid thing I came up with

https://twitter.com/Rooflemonger/status/1665908846299160577

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Honda succeeds mostly with the basics

like,
-cr. /LKLP, cr. LP, LP hands or MP headbutt
-st. MP, cr.LP, LP hands or MP headbutt
-cr. MK, LP~MP, Headbutt
off a punish counter DI: HK(1 hit) sumo stance launch, Buttslam, or launch then DR HP, HP Hands or sumo stance slaps

of course you can get elaborate as you want, but those basics will get you far.

Or just do this stupid thing I came up with

https://twitter.com/Rooflemonger/status/1665908846299160577

Thank you

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Evil Canadian posted:

parrying is 100% exactly the same as blocking if its not a perfect parry. Same frame data and everything. Only difference is it very slightly reduces pushback.

That said, Kikosho is strike invuln, so you can absolutely use it to react to it, although your tensho kicks (down down kick) are also air invulnerable frame 1, so thats a perfectly good thing to use if you can call him out.

*edit*

Not to shill my own videos but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie9zy12IBVs

Right on, thanks folks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dunno what it is but i am consistently losing by like 10% health every single game and im always going like 1-2 and its frustrating the hell outta me :( skill issue but its very disheartening

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

anime was right posted:

i dunno what it is but i am consistently losing by like 10% health every single game and im always going like 1-2 and its frustrating the hell outta me :( skill issue but its very disheartening

That means you just have a few mistakes to clean up and you'll start winning. It's a much better position to be in than just getting blown out repeatedly. Are you taking too many stray hits in neutral? Are you doing safe pressure when you get a knockdown? Are you letting them get away with fake poo poo? Are you getting good damage off punishes? I'm stuck in silver with a sub 40% win rate because I'm deficient in all those things, and while my opponents may be as well compared to others, they're able to control the match because I don't have a solid and confident game plan, setups, and ability to keep them from getting away with stuff.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
honestly my brain literally cannot register drive impact even actively. its all me babyyyyyyyyyyyy. just v annoyed w/ myself. not sure if its just like my sensory issues getting worse overall or just a case of the Olds.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

In Training posted:

I was bronze in SFV but tbf I hated SFV and barely played it and spent the next half a decade gaming on anime fighters and going to locals and stuff. I have actually kind of hovered right in the middle of Plat 1 so Capcom did pretty good. I just surprised myself.

The only FG recently I've put ranked time into was Strive and I never cracked Celestial, that whole ranked structure was so discouraging I disengaged with it long before I stopped playing the game and just exclusively did player lobbies. If strive worked like SF6 Id probably still be picking it up occasionally.

Oh you were just selling yourself short lol.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also if anyone wants to play sets sometime pls add "IDIOTLORD" on cfn ty

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

anime was right posted:

honestly my brain literally cannot register drive impact even actively. its all me babyyyyyyyyyyyy. just v annoyed w/ myself. not sure if its just like my sensory issues getting worse overall or just a case of the Olds.

You need a close match strategy! Mine is burn all remaining meter and hit em with the good stuff.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Manon experts, is there something I'm missing about her antiair ex upkick into hit grab? It feels like I keep whiffing the hit grab after it and I'm not sure why. I recall hearing the mp one usually works. Am I just late on it?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

This is what I get for posting anything from twitter. I should know better by now.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

chumbler posted:

Manon experts, is there something I'm missing about her antiair ex upkick into hit grab? It feels like I keep whiffing the hit grab after it and I'm not sure why. I recall hearing the mp one usually works. Am I just late on it?

So for one it has to be anti air, if you're practicing on a grounded opponent they don't go high enough. For two, you probably need to do it WAY earlier than you think you do. It goes active very late. To give you an idea, in order to do it from 2x236KK you have to basically input it at the earliest point you can for then to fall into your arms

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Something fascinating in modern mode, doing classic inputs gives you higher damage. For supers too.

So with Ken in modern, if I do super 2 with back special + heavy, it does 2160 in training. But if I do qcf qcf medium, it does 2700 damage. Same with the others, super one is 1600 with the special + heavy buttons, but it's 2000 damage with qcb qcb light button.

More moves too, an OD shoryuken via special + assist buttons is 1280 damage. OD shoryuken via classic motion and light + medium is 1600 damage.

Even a medium shoryuken, does 1040 with special button, does 1300 with the classic motion + medium button.

It's usually just the difference of a couple jabs damage, but it is interesting. I guess even in modern if I have an easy opening I could do classic inputs for more damage. I get it's a balancing thing, but it's interesting that a lot of stuff like that is not mentioned anywhere.

I know modern overall has 80% damage, but it's a bit kooky that you can still do the 100% damage versions if you do the old inputs in this mode too. Seems like it would discourage use of the easier to do inputs in this mode. Or it's just a tidbit to get more damage if you learn two ways to play in modern.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 6, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

chumbler posted:

Most of the top manon players just seem to cancel into legs dance for the corner carry, probably not worth the grab medal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hand a great night losing in battle hub and ended up finishing off versing a blanka that i went 3-11 against, but it was a good lesson in what's enjoyable about games like SF: i eventually started to read the guy solidly through all my mental exhaustion and frustration of not being able to come back and ended with two full clarity rounds where i sent him to the dumpster. figuring poo poo out iteratively is the real fun of these kinds of games for me, even if it takes a bit more time than other people

anime was right posted:

most reactions in competitive games like this are also partially prediction; you obviously gotta have hands, but the reaction time you save from thinking "this guy will probably try to DI me since i'm at 10% health and he can just armor through and kill me" is the difference between winning and losing in a lot of cases

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if i could play one of the refrigerators in ranked i would legit be diamond

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/TwistedMRivera/status/1665860511156654081?s=20

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Heavy Metal posted:

Something fascinating in modern mode, doing classic inputs gives you higher damage. For supers too.

So with Ken in modern, if I do super 2 with back special + heavy, it does 2160 in training. But if I do qcf qcf medium, it does 2700 damage. Same with the others, super one is 1600 with the special + heavy buttons, but it's 2000 damage with qcb qcb light button.

More moves too, an OD shoryuken via special + assist buttons is 1280 damage. OD shoryuken via classic motion and light + medium is 1600 damage.

Even a medium shoryuken, does 1040 with special button, does 1300 with the classic motion + medium button.

It's usually just the difference of a couple jabs damage, but it is interesting. I guess even in modern if I have an easy opening I could do classic inputs for more damage. I get it's a balancing thing, but it's interesting that a lot of stuff like that is not mentioned anywhere.

I know modern overall has 80% damage, but it's a bit kooky that you can still do the 100% damage versions if you do the old inputs in this mode too. Seems like it would discourage use of the easier to do inputs in this mode. Or it's just a tidbit to get more damage if you learn two ways to play in modern.

It's excellent design that gives new players a pathway to transition from modern to classic controls without having to explicitly only use classic inputs and to immediately suck out loud.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vermain posted:

if i could play one of the refrigerators in ranked i would legit be diamond

gently caress them fridges

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Breetai posted:

It's excellent design that gives new players a pathway to transition from modern to classic controls without having to explicitly only use classic inputs and to immediately suck out loud.

you can still use modern and sit halfway between them, which is the very clever part of how they've set it up, IMO

if you take someone like, say, cammy, you're not actually missing that much from pure modern controls beyond the ability to charge specials aside from hooligan, and using them effectively is a marginal point of mastery compared to the rest of her kit. the option is still there to learn how to do the raw inputs, and you can always fall back on one-button specials if you're having trouble executing otherwise. it's critical that they made modern something other than The Noob Mode that you're expected to drop like a hot rock once you get your bearings and instead turned it into an option with its own unique benefits and drawbacks that still has room for you to grow and expand in once you've gotten the basics down pat

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tae posted:

Most of the top manon players just seem to cancel into legs dance for the corner carry, probably not worth the grab medal.

I always go for the medal because the snowball effect is very powerful, and she doesn't really get oki off the 214MK

However I am not a top Manon player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Breetai posted:

I'm the opposite, playing classic since the 90s and now transitioning to modern since my hands have some issues, etc. I find it a bit odd in some ways. I'll say I don't think the goal is for modern players to transition to classic in general.