Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Too sick to be at work isn’t too sick to enjoy other stuff and gently caress any middle management dickhead who tries to argue otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Escape From Noise posted:

Sorry for the long intro but there are a few things that need to be explained in order for this to make sense.

My company went with a more reasonably priced Chinese made bottler when getting the brewery together. Nothing wrong with that IMHO. Makes sense for our size, but you get what you pay for and every machine, no matter how good has its limitations. The only real problem that I've encountered with this machine is the filling valves are somewhat narrow. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue except that the only beer the company really wants to bottle is a heavily fruited and dry hopped beer. All of the detris can cause the filling valves to clog, leading to some bottles on the line not filling properly and has stopped the last three bottling runs we attempted with that beer. Fortunately, for a while we stopped making it because it didn't sell for poo poo. Unfortunately, they now want to brew it again and do a huge bottling run because it'll be a chance to be on the teevee!

We were having a meeting about a few things today and I brought up the fact that this beer had given us a lot of trouble in the past. I also mentioned possible solutions, but also wanted it to be known that those solutions also came with their own risks and no guarantees. Again, the machine's specs don't really work well for bottling this beer. The restaurant manager had me call our equipment supplier to "perform maintenance" on the bottler. When I asked what he meant by that I couldn't really get much of an answer. As far as I could tell he expected them to somehow change specific size specs on an already designed, built, and delivered machine. He wanted to know if they could change the filling valves to be wider...somehow. I just thought that the machining and engineering goons ITT would appreciate this story.

Ask Hank Hill how he solved his narrowness issue.

Edit: is this the man that sold you the bottling machine?

Machai fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 5, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

Ask Hank Hill how he solved his narrowness issue.

Edit: is this the man that sold you the bottling machine?

Lol. I almost put a Hank Hill joke in there.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
This isn't my previous job's fault but I worked for years at a hospital and a guy in my department used to tell all kinds of ridiculous ghost stories and claim things like how boxes of equipment would rise up and float around the room when he was the only one there. I had to work with this dude claiming he dodged ghost drivers with glowing red eyes and had visits from his deceased grandmother, every day.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not work, but the radio station I volunteer at had cold feet and cut my two minute rant decrying Henry Kissinger out of my show this week.

Lame.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bored posted:

Lol! Snoopy doesn’t talk. He makes weird, squeaky, cartoon-beagle noises.

If it wouldn’t get you written up with HR, I’d suggest a Garfield “I hate Mondays” reply.

I had a shift manager who would deadpan serious respond to “How are things?” With “Horrible”. This was in the middle of ongoing staffing issues, so he was working a poo poo ton of overtime to fill in gaps in the dispatching schedule. Didn’t matter if it was in person, or on the recorded phone line. Nobody really bothered to follow up on why things were so bad.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
weird i deadpan "wonderful" and its the same reaction

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Toupee Groupie posted:

Is it bad that I an "enjoying" my sick day today instead of working? Summer colds suck, but at least it is less stressful than this weekened. I work at a suburban hardware store. I am quite tired of hearing "Why don't you have ~this~ here? Every hardware store should have ~this~." The ~this~ being things like 500 gallon feed troughs for agricultural use, spark plugs for a 2007 Honda Civic, or a shallow 45MM 6 point 3/8th socket.

Tractor supply is 2 miles away, and they have those tanks stacked up outside, and yes, they are now over 400 dollars. Our store, which has been here for 60 years has never sold these, nor can I order you one.

NAPA is 3 businesses away, which is why we don't carry many auto parts, as we cannot compete in price with them. Yes, they do have the bulk spark plugs for your mower for 50 cents less, so go there. Carded plugs cost more. No, we are not price matching.

Lastly, that socket that you want is not made by anyone, and your impact driver is 3/8ths and will break itself if you try to adapt to the 3/4 45mm socket to remove whatever you are trying to do. You just told me you snapped a 4 foot breaker bar trying to get this off whatever vehicle you are trying to sell for scrap for meth.

I know that inflation has really hurt people, but that doesn't mean you have to be an rear end in a top hat. People have been special ordering things, then when the items shows up, they never come and pay to pick it up, or they then try to haggle the price down.

Custom paint tinting now has an abandonment issue. When it gets abandoned, it gets put in clearance marked down quite a bit. We now add variable amounts of S1, W1, or Y3 in those cans so the color is not exactly what was made, because we tracked people abandoning paint, waiting for it to go on clearance, then buying what they abandoned.

Someone had the gall to buy one of these that they abandoned, then bitterly complain it didn't match their other paint. All clearance paint are advertised as mis-tints, with a splotch of paint showing the color in the can, and not the name of it. Sure you forgot it a few weeks ago, but you didn't call us or stop in for a new can of paint. We are not paying for a professional to come in and re-do your room. You decided the color was the same without comparing it. The newish BMW X5 you are driving makes us think that you can afford 36.99 for a new gallon of paint.

I know our store used to special order items for you without you needing to pay for them till they arrive. Things sometimes change. We now need 15% down on big items since our abandonment of special orders was getting close to 10% on items over 100 dollars. If we send it back, we pay for a 15% re-stocking fee. Big ticket items usually have the least mark-up on them, so we were loosing money.

People loving suck. BUT I WANT IT NOWWWWW. FOR CHEAPER TOO!

Demand cost as a deposit for special order and if they don't show it's pure profit.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Catastrophe posted:

This isn't my previous job's fault but I worked for years at a hospital and a guy in my department used to tell all kinds of ridiculous ghost stories and claim things like how boxes of equipment would rise up and float around the room when he was the only one there. I had to work with this dude claiming he dodged ghost drivers with glowing red eyes and had visits from his deceased grandmother, every day.

Was he really an employee and not a patient?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Dayshift tried to meltdown another chamber. This time they ignored my coworker’s concise and comprehensive explanation of a busted contactor to just put the chamber in bakeout. They then ignored its escalating alarms as it went 50 degrees over spec because the contactor wouldn’t shut off when it got hot.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

This place insists on keeping Suntory Malt's on tap even though the German pilsner was supposed to be the replacement. Lol. I'm pretty sure it's mainly used for shandys.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Not work, but the radio station I volunteer at had cold feet and cut my two minute rant decrying Henry Kissinger out of my show this week.

Lame.

loving cowards.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Holy gently caress. This is the easiest job I've ever had. Pound-for-pound, the lowest paying, too.

The place is a total poo poo-show and everyone knows it. The lowest grossing store in the district, the oldest, the dirtiest, and the most dysfunctional. If it wasn't 5 minutes down the road, I'd have walked away the first day. If everyone I've worked with wasn't cool, I'd have walked away the second day (today).

I don't even know where to start to unfuck this store. There's just so much wrong with everything. I have cost this company 2x what they've paid me so far just pulling food that's out of date, easy. There is non-perishable poo poo packed along the walls in the stock room that's so old the ordering system thinks we sell 2x as much as we do because the old stock never goes out and it gets missed in inventory counts. Then it builds up, and up, and up.

There are easily identifiable problems in week to week operations that haven't been addressed in years. There is superfluous product in multiple locations on the floor (none of it priced), half the shelf is plugged with overstock, top stock is a complete mess, promo product that was supposed to go on endcaps weeks ago that have no home now is just spread around on clearance shelves, awful rotation of stock problems, prices that haven't been corrected for over a year, the list goes on.

There are multiple health and safety violations. A ziptied emergency exit in the stockroom, the hot water heater's emergency vent is broken (not that it would have worked safely the way it was run), our stock carts have wheels which make them dangerous to use, there's an obvious rat infestation, so. many. weird. bugs., several electrical distribution panels with dismounted or missing fronts panels, and a floor so negelected that there are voids through multiple layers of tiles going straight down to the concrete pad.

As to my person, I have not been given more that 10min of training, I have no name tag, my schedule has changed three times in two days (I'm ignoring that and following the first one, no one has said poo poo), the person who was nominally in charge quit, and I have no direct supervisor except the district manager (Never met him. Talked on the phone, nice guy.)

Bare minimum pay, bare minimum work. This is a foot in the door for me, I get that. With the experience I've got though, this is horrible. For every victory, there are two defeats waiting in the wings. Everything in my experience says even being the lowliest part of this is a bad idea. Any of this would get me black-listed in the business, where I built up experience.

Eh, 6/10. Thinking about applying for management.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Nothing quite so bracing as spraying nearly boiling wort on your stomach. Doing this right after leaning your arm against a pipe carrying said wort really adds to the experience.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 6, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nothing quite so bracing as spraying nearly boiling wort on your stomach. Doing this right after leaning your arm against a pipe carrying said wort really adds to the experience.

Did you wear your PPE?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

What's PPE in your line? Rubberized plastic apron on top of a boilersuit, googles, gloves, and gummi boots?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Did you wear your PPE?

e:fb

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Just got my safety toe rubber boots and safety glasses basically. It wasn't too bad. Ran to the bar and got some ice on it.

Edit: also have on heavy duty work pants and was wearing heavy chem gloves at the time.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Just got my safety toe rubber boots and safety glasses basically. It wasn't too bad. Ran to the bar and got some ice on it.

Edit: also have on heavy duty work pants and was wearing heavy chem gloves at the time.

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad, as you put it.

A rubberized apron, even something like a dishwasher would wear, might be a good piece to keep around when working with hot liquid under pressure. I don't know if it would get in your way, but it's kept me from getting burns from hot grease.

You could sell it as a safety feature, with an opportunity to keep people out of your workspace, too. Have multiple mandated pieces of PPE for folks to wear in the brewing area.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad, as you put it.

A rubberized apron, even something like a dishwasher would wear, might be a good piece to keep around when working with hot liquid under pressure. I don't know if it would get in your way, but it's kept me from getting burns from hot grease.

You could sell it as a safety feature, with an opportunity to keep people out of your workspace, too. Have multiple mandated pieces of PPE for folks to wear in the brewing area.

It's not something I've ever seen in the brewery so I guess I just never considered it. In all honesty, I probably should have had a hoody or something on at least. I didn't really full on spray, more of a splash from putting a wort filter back in. Still, your point stands. It's easy to get complacent about it in the summer, especially here where it gets so hot and humid especially with all of the moving around during transfers and the like.

Edit: it was definitely stupid of me, but at least I'm not one of those nutcases who wears shorts in the brewery. Even when it's above 30 and at 100% humidity.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It's not something I've ever seen in the brewery so I guess I just never considered it. In all honesty, I probably should have had a hoody or something on at least. I didn't really full on spray, more of a splash from putting a wort filter back in. Still, your point stands. It's easy to get complacent about it in the summer, especially here where it gets so hot and humid especially with all of the moving around during transfers and the like.

Edit: it was definitely stupid of me, but at least I'm not one of those nutcases who wears shorts in the brewery. Even when it's above 30 and at 100% humidity.

Safety is a process! The more we can keep ourselves and the people we work with safe, the better we all will be.

Nothing about our jobs is worth hurting yourself or anyone else for, to put it another way.

Safety builds trust, when properly explained and executed. People, and organizations, who know their work should be flexible enough to work with safety in mind. If it takes longer that way, if it's more uncomfortable, or whatever, it's always worth it. We can adapt.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

To your point on heat and humidity.

It's a good one. I live and work in the Deep South. So many people work themselves too hard with too little protection. Mexicans, South Americans, and Islanders taught me to bundle up in heat. You will be just as hot with maximum protection (within reason), as without. Keeps the sun of you, though. If protection interferes, the work has to change. Frequent breaks, emphasizing hydration, and slowing down will get more work done than raw-dogging heat.

This, coming from someone that suffers from hyperhydrosis. I sweat standing still. I sweat more doing teamster work. Knowing my limits, and how I can work withing them, has done me well and helped those that work with me.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm out of the sun. The heat mostly comes from the ambient heat and the 500 liters of boiling liquid as well as the boiler. But yeah. Gonna wear my hoodie more.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Speaking of burning, there's a building on fire near my work.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

madeintaipei posted:

Safety is a process! .

The safety slogan for a large company I once worked for was "Safety is no accident"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a cute play on words.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

The safety slogan for a large company I once worked for was "Safety is no accident"

We have this hung up in one of my labs, lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

madeintaipei posted:

Holy gently caress. This is the easiest job I've ever had. Pound-for-pound, the lowest paying, too.

Either get a promotion and a commitment of resources to fix the shitshow or leave asap. There's no way working there is going to be good for you.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I do boring science stuff. At my new job I’ve been stretching out about 6 hours of work out over a 40 hour workweek. Most of my job is setting up a machine for a run, then letting the machine do all the work for 6 hours while I look at my phone/computer at my desk, then come back collect samples and clean. I read SOP’s and have to make solutions and stuff sometimes but that’s all I do. I spend a lot of time writing and looking and music gear that I don’t buy. Anybody got any good podcast recommendations?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Krustic posted:

I do boring science stuff. At my new job I’ve been stretching out about 6 hours of work out over a 40 hour workweek. Most of my job is setting up a machine for a run, then letting the machine do all the work for 6 hours while I look at my phone/computer at my desk, then come back collect samples and clean. I read SOP’s and have to make solutions and stuff sometimes but that’s all I do. I spend a lot of time writing and looking and music gear that I don’t buy. Anybody got any good podcast recommendations?

Science and Futurism With Isaac Arthur for nerd science stuff. WheelTakes is good if you want to really nerd out with a Wheel of Time podcast; they're a genuinely funny couple and their episodes are hours long so it's good to drain away the day.

I also have this problem. I bought a guitar and am practicing up on my Mandarin.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
A guy got hired in to a previous department I was in when I was in tech support and he was immediately given the place of team lead. He couldn't add 2+2 and had no idea how to do anything but he had some specific degree so he was our department lead. Bossed us around, made decisions for the company, was completely inept and barely had a single functioning brain cell. But he had a piece of paper from a community college. He absolutely wrecked our efficiency and workflows but he sure was smug and full of himself.

He was the first to get fired when downsizing happened. I kept being told he got that position because of some specific degree he held but it's like... did you even ask him if he knew how to turn on a PC or use a mouse before you hired him for the team lead in tech support?? Because, if you did...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think I could do with that sort of job for a few years. I've stopped believing in this one.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Catastrophe posted:

A guy got hired in to a previous department I was in when I was in tech support and he was immediately given the place of team lead. He couldn't add 2+2 and had no idea how to do anything but he had some specific degree so he was our department lead. Bossed us around, made decisions for the company, was completely inept and barely had a single functioning brain cell. But he had a piece of paper from a community college. He absolutely wrecked our efficiency and workflows but he sure was smug and full of himself.

He was the first to get fired when downsizing happened. I kept being told he got that position because of some specific degree he held but it's like... did you even ask him if he knew how to turn on a PC or use a mouse before you hired him for the team lead in tech support?? Because, if you did...

Lol I've seen this many times with biotech degrees. Someone I worked with back in the day had to be told to use separate pipette tips per sample and legitimately couldn't do a basic dilution. They didn't last long

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Before working from home became a thing all my time wasting had to be in Excel, so I am now very good at building video game character build calculators that look like budgetary variance analysis spreadsheets.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Looking through some documents, found a dimension with no tolerance specified as 1488.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Did the document happen to have a log of previous users who had modified it?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Yes but I doubt it's accurate. It's just a Word doc with no actual revision control. So maybe that spec existed since this document was created or someone slipped it in sometime in the last 20 years. Who knows!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We're trialing a system where all meetings are cancelled until 5 minutes before when we decide whether or not to have the meeting and the inconsistency is killing me

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

honda whisperer posted:

People loving suck. BUT I WANT IT NOWWWWW. FOR CHEAPER TOO!

Demand cost as a deposit for special order and if they don't show it's pure profit.

That is illegal in my state. We can only ask for the restocking fee and what the courts would consider a "reasonable" fee for storage of the item. I agree with this law, because I could sure see how the elderly people who shop at our store, even after calling them seem to forget stuff all the time. We actually flag their name in the register when there is a special order so the cashier can remind them about it when they are in the store.

I know this sounds like corporate bullshit, but it is not a good idea to antagonize your customers. Most people are nice people, I chose this job because the favorite part of my old IT jobs was helping people. I put other people first in my life before me, (ha, bad trait) so wanting to help people comes naturally for me.

I Miss Snausages fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 6, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Killingyouguy! posted:

We're trialing a system where all meetings are cancelled

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Killingyouguy! posted:

We're trialing a system where all meetings are cancelled until 5 minutes before when we decide whether or not to have the meeting and the inconsistency is killing me

That sounds like fun to try to figure out which one of the 3 meetings you are overbooked for will actually happen. I had to have two computers to run Webex or Teams because chances were that I would need to be in two remote meetings at the same time when I was in infosec..