Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Bruceski posted:

"Most of the people progging further than they actually know are incompetent bozos but you? You're special. You can get away with it, I promise."

it's a good mindset to have I'd you're actually putting in the time to learn. only you can evaluate your own competency when it comes to learning fights with external resources.

I'm more of a gotta get my hands on it dude, but I can pick up a mechanic pretty quickly if I've studied a toolbox or text guide.

not video guides though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Oneiros posted:

no one has actually made it thru bonds3/pandaemonic ray intact. everyone just got scraped off the floor with heal lb3

Yeah but then you don’t have tank lb for harrowing and that’s gambling on people remembering that they have jobs to do

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bruceski posted:

"Most of the people progging further than they actually know are incompetent bozos but you? You're special. You can get away with it, I promise."

thats right

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

Yeah but then you don’t have tank lb for harrowing and that’s gambling on people remembering that they have jobs to do

it's really funny to me that after multiple healers screaming in all caps about feint usage on meltdown so they could save resources and running with a dark knight whose party mit literally does nothing for you against harrowing we still did it without tank lb and got the clear

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Detheros posted:

Get a better portrait.

Could actually partially explain it. I was mugshotting that fight because I had just picked up a piece of tome gear and forgot to reset my portrait. Applied the same glam to it as the gear it replaced so nothing looked different from the previous portrait but that obnoxiously broken system doesn't care.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For Harrowing on the 4th hit after I've already used most of my party mits I just slam Hallowed + Passage of Arms and sit back for like 10 seconds chilling out.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

if you cast a feint or addle or similar targeted damage debuff during harrowing (after the castbar) does it actually do anything?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lala Lifter Mount when?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oneiros posted:

if you cast a feint or addle or similar targeted damage debuff during harrowing (after the castbar) does it actually do anything?

I think so? Not like I've done testing though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Bruceski posted:

There's also the part where people creating parties are not truthful about their prog point. "Gales 2 prog" in the EX fight likely doesn't mean "we consistently get up to gales 2 and are figuring it out," i take it to mean "my corpse was dragged to gales 2 by the last group so i have 'seen' gales 2"

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
that's definitely the case. these groups wouldn't be so bad if they could consistently get to their pain point, but they don't. every pf has an obligatory 30 minutes of people sniping with turrets or running through poison or whatever

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Is there really a reason SMN and SCH can't resize all their pets? If titan can be 2cm tall why not carby resizing? I'd make them bigger just to keep track of them more for the niche placements.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Bruceski posted:

Unironically this

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I think so? Not like I've done testing though.

boy i'd love it if the game actually showed you mitigation instead of [checks notes] parry and block?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I can’t wait until I get to play the content with numbers in the name.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

re prog points and lying about such in pf, eh

there is no mechanism in the game for verifying prog points. like, at all. you've got [duty complete] and [duty incomplete] and that's it. unless you demand prog logs from every person that joins your party it is literally impossible to guard against liars. all we've got is some vaguely defined social expectations and a shitload of semi-anonymous gamers making up a "community" with incentives driving them to lie, cheat, and steal at every opportunity

that being said, there are three types of people joining later prog parties:
1) people who have no business being there at all. it's entirely possible this is actually their first time loading into the fight
2) people who have seen the prog point maybe once or twice, probably from the floor due to their own mistakes
3) people who haven't actually seen the prog point but have been reliably clearing everything up to it and then watching someone else explode the party every time

and the mythical fourth type who has actually been to the prog point standing and been working on it for an hour

only you know which you are

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 6, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

goblin week posted:

I can’t wait until I get to play the content with numbers in the name.

It starts at 50, but you rarely hear anyone talking about Coils. To the point where I'm not sure whether it's B (for Bahamut, the other letters are A for Alexander, O for Omega, and E for Eden) or C.

That said, usually there's this mystical vocabulary around a game that is impenetrable (or only vaguely so, depending on how well they can contextualize) to the outsider. FFXIV is unique in my experience for having a second layer of this vocabulary for the hardcore raiders. Though maybe this isn't as uncommon as I think, this is only like my fourth MMO and the only one with raiders commonly posting in the spaces I'm cognizant of.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dareon posted:

It starts at 50, but you rarely hear anyone talking about Coils. To the point where I'm not sure whether it's B (for Bahamut, the other letters are A for Alexander, O for Omega, and E for Eden) or C.
They actually went with T, for "Turn", since each instance is labeled as such, and this was established back in ARR before there were other normal raids to worry about to begin with. So T9 is Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 4 (since the first part was weird and had 5 parts).

Hogama fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 6, 2023

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Dareon posted:

I'm pretty sure that what's used for Coils is T as in Turn.

E:f;b

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i think most people are just bad at evaluating themselves rather than outright lying about their prog points, as well underestimating the level of consistency required to be done with a mechanic. someone might think "oh i can do levinstrike correctly 80% of the time" and assume that means they're good enough, but if everyone else also has a clean run only 80% of the time, that suddenly becomes a party-wide 17% chance to make it past it.

but also i had zero shame in joining clear parties once i got clean on levinstrike because the rest of the fight is basically nothingg

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ye, consistency is huge. if everyone in a party only fucks up a particular mechanic so bad that it causes a wipe one in ten pulls then your chances of actually getting past that mechanic is worse than a coin flip

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

given the prevalence of body checks in the latest hard duties, you have got to get your poo poo ironclad to make progress. there is no substitute for practice. how much practice depends on the individual.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/evilsharkey/status/1665575111125024768?s=46&t=d5tVBtToslcjF0bzZ8iHAw

RME
Feb 20, 2012

She can fix me

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Maybe in the neuter sense she might.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I could accept her as she is. "Oh, murder is wrong!" Grow up.

The atrocities are part her and I've decided they're funny.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The way I link Turns to Coil etymologically is to think of it like a big spring and each loop of the spring is a "turn" as it descends.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It still unreasonably bugs me that Coils have turn numbers right there in the name and it's not the numbers people use. Every time someone says T9 I have to think "divide by four that's third -- no first has five, so second turn four".

It's a couple extra characters, but I parse things like "A3-3" much more cleanly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gonna run Gordias2

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saint Freak posted:

Gonna run Gordias2

Catbook using different names from the game's menu is another issue.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

It's a couple extra characters, but I parse things like "A3-3" much more cleanly.

That's really what I would prefer, last time I needed to do a specific raid it was farming A9S for relic light and I had to go "A9S... that's Alexander, savage, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9... Eyes of the Creator? Better count again to make sure." A3-1 would have gotten me there faster and without feeling like I needed remedial grade 1 math.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

All raid abbreviations are dumb. Like the raids. Like Final Fantasy. I love this dumb game.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Nah gently caress hyphenated abbreviations

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

remember when people wanted to call deltascape D1 through D4

I was people

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

RME posted:

Nah gently caress hyphenated abbreviations
A3.3 then

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

orcane posted:

A3.3 then

3A3, maybe?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

2G1C

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
P2.4.2

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Players will only be allowed to enter a raid if they type its full title into the duty finder, forcing people worldwide to find the "Æ" key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Running horsedad and megazord for catbook.