Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The lore wiki page on Nocticula is pretty vague about what specific bad things she did; her career as a demon lord seems to have consisted mostly of killing other demon lords. Whereas Sorshen's "lustfulness" is specifically tied to her mastery of mind control magic, and this is central to the concept of Thassilonian Rune Magic; even if you ignore all more specific 1e lore, that's unavoidably icky.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Nocticula was the queen of succubi and was explicitly a sadist, and you think she's responsible for less reprehensible sex crimes than a single rune mage? Have you seen what succubi get up to in Wrath of the Righteous?

i can fix them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

We ran into another enemy in Gatewalkers that gave us trouble, this time with relatively high melee resistance and reflexes. Our GM's sister joined the party as an anadi rogue and he got to traumatize her with the enemy's special attack so he was thrilled. Our psychic bailed us out by getting a near max damage crit with his amped imaginary 2h hammer. We're up to six players now so I'm curious if he's going to mess with the difficulty much. Fights so far are either over in 1.5 rounds or they go on forever with everyone whiffing and getting frustrated. We're all still learning and having fun though I think.

Our Gatewalker group hasn't met again, so we're likely pretty far behind where you're at. We're a pretty heavy physical damage group so that sounds like a tough encounter coming up for us.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Razakai posted:

Considering she's a mythic expert in mind control magic and charisma, her entire redemption story is probably just a result of getting 80 on a bluff check.

Well, it's also her making plans to not get killed after she woke up to Karzoug, Krune, and Zutha having woken up in the meantime and being killed. So I'd argue it's more pragmatism than anything.

Benefits of being a runelord not quite so good when it apparently leads to random people popping up out of nowhere with enough power to kill you.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Silver2195 posted:

I'm far from an expert on Pathfinder lore stuff, but didn't Sorshen do things that were really, really bad? Like, "sexual slavery on a massive scale" bad? Should she really have been "redeemed"? :can:

imo, Sorshen was softened because she did really bad things. She's too major to write out entirely, so you soften her enough that people don't instantly recoil from the gross sex wizard. It's like how ogres are still splatterpunk The Hills Have Eyes rejects, but they're written with the distance of a single Bestiary entry instead of having all the gross incest horror shoved into people's faces in the first adventure path.

(I'm not saying they're trying to cover up their dark past or anything. Just that they realized they were too gross and horny on their first pass of the setting.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think Paizo's happy to shove all the really gross edgy PF1 lore and worldbuilding out the window and pretend it doesn't exist.

Like the child abuser daemon who gives kids candy and asks you to traumatize them as a religious rite

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

If you're asking whether I would expect better morals from a demon/devil over a wizard, the answer is yes every time.

There's your mistake, never expect any morals from a wizard

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Silver2195 posted:

I'm far from an expert on Pathfinder lore stuff, but didn't Sorshen do things that were really, really bad? Like, "sexual slavery on a massive scale" bad? Should she really have been "redeemed"? :can:

Redemption is for everybody. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Redemption is for everybody. :colbert:

(As long as they're attractive. If you're a mid dude, just die, sorry.)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

(As long as they're attractive. If you're a mid dude, just die, sorry.)

explain Trever from Wrath of the Righteous then

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Andrast posted:

There's your mistake, never expect any morals from a wizard

That's what I'm saying, wizards are the worst, no moral compass.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Failboattootoot posted:

That's what I'm saying, wizards are the worst, no moral compass.

When the Laws of Physics are just kind of... "suggestions" to you, the rules of ethics and morality are minor quibbles at best.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I really like how shields work.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
The group I'm a player in is going to be starting Abomination Vaults soon. Looks like I'm going to be the cleric, and I was wondering if there was a good resource or if y'all have any advice for build options. The GM has said he's fine with the Free Archetype rule. I'm not super concerned about min-maxing, but there are a lot of options and I just don't want to be completely useless.

I'm still working on the character concept, but I spoke to the GM and am going to plan to move forward as "3 Kobolds in a Trenchcoat". Functionally I'm just rolling a kobold, it's just more for RP opportunities. They think they're definitely passing as a human, going to try to reflavor my spells for things like heal just being one of the kobolds running over and tossing a bandage on someone, etc.

I took a look at the links to Zenith in the OP and the cleric ones all seem a bit dated (though the Gentleman's Guide to Faith does seem to do some analysis of archetypes, so that should be helpful). Just from messing around in Pathbuilder I was thinking a Kobold Cleric with the Field Medic Background. Spellscale Kobold heritage, with the Kobold Breath ancestry feat. I played Kyra in the beginner box, and was going to stick with Warpriest, but I'm not married to that. I hadn't decided on a free archetype yet and was leaning toward healing hands, recognize spell, and armor proficiency for heavy armor (though I don't love the speed penalty) for my feats through level 3.

Mostly I just get overwhelmed looking at all of my options and wanted to solicit some advice. Like I said, I'm not worried about min-maxing, I just don't want to make myself completely useless.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

If your goal is to be not useless, max your primary stat and keep it maxed as you level, don’t dump con.

Effectiveness floor is high, ceiling is relatively low

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Russad posted:

The group I'm a player in is going to be starting Abomination Vaults soon. Looks like I'm going to be the cleric, and I was wondering if there was a good resource or if y'all have any advice for build options. The GM has said he's fine with the Free Archetype rule. I'm not super concerned about min-maxing, but there are a lot of options and I just don't want to be completely useless.

I'm still working on the character concept, but I spoke to the GM and am going to plan to move forward as "3 Kobolds in a Trenchcoat". Functionally I'm just rolling a kobold, it's just more for RP opportunities. They think they're definitely passing as a human, going to try to reflavor my spells for things like heal just being one of the kobolds running over and tossing a bandage on someone, etc.

I took a look at the links to Zenith in the OP and the cleric ones all seem a bit dated (though the Gentleman's Guide to Faith does seem to do some analysis of archetypes, so that should be helpful). Just from messing around in Pathbuilder I was thinking a Kobold Cleric with the Field Medic Background. Spellscale Kobold heritage, with the Kobold Breath ancestry feat. I played Kyra in the beginner box, and was going to stick with Warpriest, but I'm not married to that. I hadn't decided on a free archetype yet and was leaning toward healing hands, recognize spell, and armor proficiency for heavy armor (though I don't love the speed penalty) for my feats through level 3.

Mostly I just get overwhelmed looking at all of my options and wanted to solicit some advice. Like I said, I'm not worried about min-maxing, I just don't want to make myself completely useless.

As a cleric, you have an easy way to not be useless: Prepare heal in all your spell slots and don't do anything else. I'm only barely joking, honestly, heal is a very good spell.

Other fun things to do is demoralize/Bon Mot (you should probably have CHA at 16 for more heal slots so that'd be nice). For spells, heroism, fear, magic weapon until your martial start to get striking runes. If you like to buff and debuff the cleric is great at those.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Russad posted:

It would take a little while to come online but if you really want to lean into kobolds in a trench coat, do a summoner archetype, take a dragon eidolon, and make it look like a Real Big Kobold (size medium) grab the Ride Eidolon feat, and then buy a trench coat that fits over both of you.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

its a little odd to reskin your heal spell as you slapping a bandage on someone because that's something you can also just do, including during combat with battle medicine

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jen X posted:

I dunno, honestly! I know that wrath of the righteous came out in 2013 with Anevia, and the iconic shaman character, announced in 2014, is very explicitly (as in, her bio literally says it) trans, but idk if there were others before them

I don't think Anevia was in the original Adventure Path, and was made for the game. I could be totally wrong however, I did not given the Adventure path too much of a look through.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Anevia was in the original Adventure Path, and was made for the game. I could be totally wrong however, I did not given the Adventure path too much of a look through.

She and Irabeth were absolutely in the printed AP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kvantum posted:

She and Irabeth were absolutely in the printed AP.

I remember Irabeth but not Anevia is all. But as mentioned I did not read the AP too closely.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Russad posted:

You can get a good base with Cleric and then branch out to fit your concept pretty easily. Make sure you are using your +WIS to be searching for traps and otherwise looking around and make sure you keep up your Religion to help with haunts and general knowledge. You're already getting Battle Medicine from background so you're good.

First few levels:
Spam Magic Weapon + lots of healing you could move from room to room with no rests and probably destroy a few couple rooms if the die rolls go your way, at least to get you to level 2-3 and more interesting archetype options to meet your concept and shepherd the team through the lower levels where you all have less resources. Cleric can really shine when you know for certain what you're up against and can tailor your spell list to help out.

The main thing with Cleric is you can take https://pf2easy.com/index.php?id=612&name=Healing_Hands as first level feat as you already saw. Since Cleric feats tend to be pretty bad, you could really lean in to your archetype options by just taking this One Easy Trick for healing.

Early on when the cooldown time is 1 hour for Treat Wounds (why did you do this anyway, Paizo?) having bunch of healing is great. Best thing you can do with any money you get is BUY SCROLLS OF HEALING LEVEL 1 with your wealth. They are always useful even when you move beyond Magic Weapon scrolls/castings needed, you know for certain you can and will use a level 1 scroll of heal at some point. When you have Healing Hands it makes it incredibly gold efficient for the 2 action heal 1d10+8 healing for 4GP per scroll once you exhaust your font heals. So much better than buying potions for amount HP healed. Just. Buy. Scrolls.

Some Archetypes to lean in to your 3 Kobolds, 1 Coat concept that could be fun is Summoner, Armor Inventor to keep enhancing your Coat, Soulforger to Manifest the Coat as some sort of Kobold spirit armor, an Alchemist to see items get thrown from random locations in the coat. Really depends if you go Battle Cleric or Cloistered on where you branch out once you can take your archetype + first feat in to it.

If you know what the rest of your party is that can also help to tailor to help to their strengths given you will be more support in nature until you get some higher spells available.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Paizo’s workers have ratified their first union contract: https://twitter.com/paizoworkers/status/1666236773763280897?s=61&t=Wira3l5cmu_E2KGRbqsALw

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Re: Three Kobolds, One Coat. You could grab the Beastmaster or Cavalier Archetype and just use that as one of your kobolds with a little refluffing. Or do Summoner and Beastmaster/Cavalier and have three Kobolds fighting and coating as one.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks all! Appreciate the feedback/info, and going to take a look at the suggested options to flesh the little buggers out.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
My group is starting Abomination Vaults tomorrow, too. I'll be playing a 17 year old orphan out of the Puddles who is heavily into stories about the Roseguard and so becomes a swashbuckler (wit style).
Basically a cheeky Norville Roberts who is really into parkour and bladed weapons.

Really excited to weaponize my puns.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
AV player advice, maybe general PF2E AP advice: don't just run in to rooms and start swinging, use some tactics and take advantage of your abilities.

Our group can verify just running in isn't very effective.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Government Handjob posted:

My group is starting Abomination Vaults tomorrow, too. I'll be playing a 17 year old orphan out of the Puddles who is heavily into stories about the Roseguard and so becomes a swashbuckler (wit style).
Basically a cheeky Norville Roberts who is really into parkour and bladed weapons.

Really excited to weaponize my puns.

one of the other characters in the campaign i'm playing in is pretty much that beat for beat but a sacred nagaji swashbuckler wrestler

they've been great fun so i think you're onto something

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

atelier morgan posted:

one of the other characters in the campaign i'm playing in is pretty much that beat for beat but a sacred nagaji swashbuckler wrestler

they've been great fun so i think you're onto something

Civvie11 style running tally of every single stinky thing we encounter in the module has been fairly amusing, aye.

boxen posted:

AV player advice, maybe general PF2E AP advice: don't just run in to rooms and start swinging, use some tactics and take advantage of your abilities.

Our group can verify just running in isn't very effective.

Yeah I'm a pretty beefy fighter and I've still almost been laid out flat in a turn a few times. I dunno if AV is just a bit rough like that or what but it gets scary at times, the green dragon under the fishery nearly TPKd our group because we'd wandered in entirely out of position and assumed we were safe :byodood: Had to retreat and come back the next day.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you’re making characters for Abomination Vaults one very important thing to have covered for the first level which Pathfinder 2e doesn’t really make possible is that at least one PC needs to know the Aklo language. Talk to your GM to make sure that happens.

It’s pointed out in the AP player’s guide. If the GM asks why it’s important, tell them that it comes up a ton, starting in room A22. (You don’t need to know what’s in that room as a player, you can just get them to check it in their copy of the adventure.)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 8, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
We actually don't have anyone who speaks Aklo in our party and we're managing just fine tho.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Clerical Terrors posted:

We actually don't have anyone who speaks Aklo in our party and we're managing just fine tho.

Aklo is uncommon so you can't start the game with it. A single skill feat could give you two uncommon languages. A single multiclass dedication (Linguist) could give you four.

It could be extra worthwhile for characters that rely on Bon Mot.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I went with goblin knowing that it probably won't be suuuper relevant for AV but it makes sense for an orphan who hung around the Muckruckers to pick up the language.

Also I'm looking forward to the collective groan from my table when Lucky tells the party "my goblin friends say I'm pretty dank for a longshank"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Government Handjob posted:

I went with goblin knowing that it probably won't be suuuper relevant for AV but it makes sense for an orphan who hung around the Muckruckers to pick up the language.

Also I'm looking forward to the collective groan from my table when Lucky tells the party "my goblin friends say I'm pretty dank for a longshank"

I might be misreading but a teenage goblin is basically nearing the twilight years of their life. They reach adulthood at five and are usually dead by twenty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Aklo is uncommon so you can't start the game with it. A single skill feat could give you two uncommon languages. A single multiclass dedication (Linguist) could give you four.

Yeah without spoiling the adventure in general there's a whole bunch of characterization that only works if someone in the party can read/speak Aklo, and there's some hints the adventure devs knew it would be a problem and then...didn't do anything about to actually fix it.

It's a weird problem with PF2e character building, it's a lot harder to access languages now than it was in 1e due to Linguistics no longer being a skill.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

KPC_Mammon posted:

I might be misreading but a teenage goblin is basically nearing the twilight years of their life. They reach adulthood at five and are usually dead by twenty.

Oh I'm playing a human, he just hung out with goblins.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Aklo is on the list of languages a ratfolk can start with, so my ysoki alchemist started AV knowing it. As far as I know, this is permitted by the rules? I don't see anything explicitly forbidding uncommon languages from being known. If a character feature from ancestry/class/etc. gives you access to it, you have it, unless I'm misreading something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Aklo is on the list of languages a ratfolk can start with, so my ysoki alchemist started AV knowing it. As far as I know, this is permitted by the rules? I don't see anything explicitly forbidding uncommon languages from being known. If a character feature from ancestry/class/etc. gives you access to it, you have it, unless I'm misreading something.

That's correct. It's just unusually hard to find on ancestry language lists. In PF1e, you'd commonly just have the wizard or whomever had extra skill points/int grab extra languages listed in the player's guide, it was much easier to deal with.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Arivia posted:

Yeah without spoiling the adventure in general there's a whole bunch of characterization that only works if someone in the party can read/speak Aklo, and there's some hints the adventure devs knew it would be a problem and then...didn't do anything about to actually fix it.

It's a weird problem with PF2e character building, it's a lot harder to access languages now than it was in 1e due to Linguistics no longer being a skill.

Yeah I picked up Aklo/Undercommon as soon as I could (level 4 Multilingual feat) since we bumped up against so many enemies in AV that just ranted or yelled or pleaded or who knowsed at us.

Of course haven't used either and everyone has spoken common since I got the feat, but we're only on the 3rd or 4th level I forget which the one with the gibbering mouther in the bottom right corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Looking forward to running this soon. A few questions for The Experts:

1. I've got a collection of rapscallions who have played 3.5/4E/5E but mostly 5E for a long time. Three players have their hearts set on Monk, Swashbuckler, and Magus and the other two just want to Promote Synergy. Are there any particular classes I should advise them to take a look at to provide maximum buffs or other support to that collection of frontliners?

2. I'm tempted to invite a sixth player. Does PF2e scale fine that way? 5E requires a lot of DM Fuckery to function IME.

3. How much trouble am I going to get into if I want to have campaign setting Lore based effects that sometimes modify critical success chance, i.e. lowering it to 8 or raising it to 12?