Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh thank gently caress, in iOS 17 you'll be able to share AirTags with other people. Probably the best use of this is ATV remotes, because goddamn it was annoying when I was the only one in the house who could make them beep.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/05/ios-17-airtag-sharing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
iOS 17 will apparently allow for multiple timers at once. We are finally living in the future of infinite hope. The impossible has been made possible.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Question Mark Mound posted:

iOS 17 will apparently allow for multiple timers at once. We are finally living in the future of infinite hope. The impossible has been made possible.

:worship:

Thank the Baby Stebus

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You can automatically delete verification codes in your messages now.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/05/ios-17-verification-code-automatic-clean-up/

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Skeezy posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/05/ios-17-verification-code-automatic-clean-up/

Best feature

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That and the quick reply are game changers for me lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Offline maps are pretty cool imo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Skeezy posted:

this will probably break someone's lovely thing, somewhere :hehe:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Question Mark Mound posted:

Continuing to be jealous of people who get to use all the cool iMessage stuff while literally none of my friends have iPhones so we all use Messenger, WhatsApp or Discord. :(

I have one sister/BIL who use Androids and my little brother has de-Facebooked (I don't blame him) so my family has literally nothing in common.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Weirdly, I sent my daughter an iMessage last night and it will only go through as regular text messages instead of iMessages. All that has changed is that we have set up number share with her Apple Watch.

It is weird seeing a green block instead of blue….

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to make a particular effort to continue to message with someone after you get one of those random “sent as test message” green bubbles. Yuck.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

withak posted:

You have to make a particular effort to continue to message with someone after you get one of those random “sent as test message” green bubbles. Yuck.

Have you considered simply continuing to message them?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
But their reply might come in green again.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Y'all are pretty broke brained if you honestly care about green vs. blue crap. You aren't teenagers.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Anyone with a beta profile and a phone different than a 14 pro can check if the standby mode works? The iOS preview page doesn't mention a specific model.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

had my iphone 12 battery replaced by Apple and was interesting to see it was at 82% capacity after 729 cycles according to their diagnostic thing. I thought the general consensus was 1000 cycles before its toast?

They even tried to tell me that im likely only having problems due to software and should factory reset my device if battery life doesnt improve. This was after I mentioned that I work for a company that manages 40,000 devices (most of them Apple) for state organisations and regularly see battery complaints once they hit 83% or less.

like sheesh im paying for the battery replacement. just shut up and swap it, dont try and tell me its 'software' when I use exactly 5 apps on my phone. Or perhaps make certification for the app store include 'doesnt turbo gently caress the battery' perhaps?

at least they didnt tell me to force quit apps to improve battery life too.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

~Coxy posted:

I have one sister/BIL who use Androids and my little brother has de-Facebooked (I don't blame him) so my family has literally nothing in common.

Pretty much no one uses sms or iMessage in the UK in 10+ years, WhatsApp has 100% market share, it’s basically required to take part in local sports or community groups, school parent groups and even a workplace emergency preparation plan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Laserface posted:

had my iphone 12 battery replaced by Apple and was interesting to see it was at 82% capacity after 729 cycles according to their diagnostic thing. I thought the general consensus was 1000 cycles before its toast?

They even tried to tell me that im likely only having problems due to software and should factory reset my device if battery life doesnt improve. This was after I mentioned that I work for a company that manages 40,000 devices (most of them Apple) for state organisations and regularly see battery complaints once they hit 83% or less.

like sheesh im paying for the battery replacement. just shut up and swap it, dont try and tell me its 'software' when I use exactly 5 apps on my phone. Or perhaps make certification for the app store include 'doesnt turbo gently caress the battery' perhaps?

at least they didnt tell me to force quit apps to improve battery life too.

The 1000 cycle thing is anecdotal. They made the usual suggestions but yeah if you're eligible and paying for a battery swap they should just do it. Honestly, I would just go to an Apple Store and have them run the diagnostics on it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Guessing the profit margins on battery swaps isn’t up to Apple standards.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

wooger posted:

Pretty much no one uses sms or iMessage in the UK in 10+ years, WhatsApp has 100% market share, it’s basically required to take part in local sports or community groups, school parent groups and even a workplace emergency preparation plan.
Yeah most of my friends are on iOS and I don’t think I’ve ever been in a single group iMessage conversation, anything other than one-on-one is WhatsApp

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

The 1000 cycle thing is anecdotal. They made the usual suggestions but yeah if you're eligible and paying for a battery swap they should just do it. Honestly, I would just go to an Apple Store and have them run the diagnostics on it.

Just to be clear they were fine swapping it and I was fine paying for it (I booked the appointment because my battery was bad) but don't try to tell me it's the fault of "apps gone wild" and not the dirty secret of all lithium batteries (that they degrade). Admitting to the latter still leaves apple pretty blameless and is actually true whereas the former is some "you're holding it wrong" type poo poo.

I got this phone in November 2020. Totally reasonable that the battery needs to be replaced. I was going to do it when I give this 12 to my mum when I get a 15 this year, but it was annoying enough that I did it a few months early.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wooger posted:

The only person i talked with on iMessage is a friend that wanted to test it and then went back to whatsapp since nobody uses facetime/imessage. In Italy is so common, telcos throw unlimited sms in every offer as filler since those never get used.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Anyone with a beta profile and a phone different than a 14 pro can check if the standby mode works? The iOS preview page doesn't mention a specific model.

I have a 13 Pro and StandBy mode works fine. It’s pretty nice actually.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

wooger posted:

I'm so glad I'm not forced into using a Facebook monopoly's app to engage in society in the US. :amerikkka:

It also really bothers me that you HAVE to give other users phone number to communciate in WhatsApp (bad for privacy, hate sharing contacts with third parties), and they still don't have message edits on any of the Meta messaging platforms.

I'll get off my old man soapbox. Back in the day, we switched messaging apps for better features every few years or so. It's a shame we can't be inconvenienced to spend all of 10 minutes downloading and signing up for a new app, but most people don't care enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

I have a 13 Pro and StandBy mode works fine. It’s pretty nice actually.
Cool, I'm excited to try that on my 12 PM.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

The 1000 cycle thing is anecdotal.
When I worked at Apple (a long time ago now admittedly) the official policy was 80% max capacity after 1000 cycles (or maybe 800?) was expected / acceptable — worse than that (within warranty / AppleCare) == battery replacement, better == explain battery lifecycle to the customer

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm, the beta update menu lists the iOS 17 Dev Beta here for some reason.

Reminder to self: Do not tap.

Corb3t posted:

I'm so glad I'm not forced into using a Facebook monopoly's app to engage in society in the US. :amerikkka:
Weird take, considering what iMessage is. Y'all have too much trust in Apple.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't say I trust apple.. but I don't distrust them either. All those other messaging platforms funnel your content straight into their advertising machine and I actively distrust them for it.

Granted Apple is probably headed that way too. Profits must go up and as iphone sales continue to level off they're gonna lean more into advertising. But for now they aren't setting off any alarm bells.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm, the beta update menu lists the iOS 17 Dev Beta here for some reason.

Reminder to self: Do not tap.

It's not bad. iOS/iPadOS/WatchOS all seem fine. MacOS 14 though is a bit janky on my iMac.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't say I trust apple.. but I don't distrust them either. All those other messaging platforms funnel your content straight into their advertising machine and I actively distrust them for it.
No one has disproven the claim of E2E encryption on the very least one-on-one chats in Whatsapp. Apparently group chats are encrypted as well. So eh.

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's not bad. iOS/iPadOS/WatchOS all seem fine. MacOS 14 though is a bit janky on my iMac.
:ohdear: --edit: Mostly my homebanking app is what concerns me. I guess I gotta leave the iPad on iOS 16 then.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird take, considering what iMessage is. Y'all have too much trust in Apple.

I have to trust at least one company to be following me at any given moment, given the way cellular technology works - Apple seems the least cozy with Police and US officials (Google/Amazon hands over customer videos without a warrant, Google hands over lots of reverse search queries without warrants) and I don't see any reason why I should freely give any more information to any other vendor unless absolutely necessary, especially Facebook, who is also very loose with how they share data. But I dunno, how is Apple a monopoly? Usage is at 53% in the US vs 46% on Android, and Android is preferred everywhere else.

I can certainly see why people love WhatsApp, given the history of SMS, but I've been using an Apple laptop since 2005, and iMessage has been my preferred app since given it's cross platform integration. It's great that WhatsApp has e2e encryption enabled by default, and I wish other messaging apps did the same.

I do worry about Apple getting addicted to that sweet, sweet, advertising money - I really think working on advertising-based software really tarnishes the entire development process - it forces developers to focus on only the most profitable features, and not what is best for the user. I guess time will tell, and Apple isn't entirely innocent about shoving ads in people's faces, but the "Apple TV" experience sure seems a lot less ad-ridden than the "Google TV" experience, for example.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 6, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kirios posted:

Y'all are pretty broke brained if you honestly care about green vs. blue crap. You aren't teenagers.

It’s entirely about the iMessage features, facetime, and knowing a video sent won’t get all mega compressed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple's advertising system is still pretty young but they've definitely been ramping up. It's only going to grow. Settings nags you to upgrade your iCloud, the app store is stuffed with ads for games, and the news and stock apps run ads too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The App Store ads really bug me for some reason. It’s the same match 3 puzzlers I see literally everywhere else. Just how many whales are supporting these games?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

Apple's advertising system is still pretty young but they've definitely been ramping up. It's only going to grow. Settings nags you to upgrade your iCloud, the app store is stuffed with ads for games, and the news and stock apps run ads too.

I still trust Apple more about nagging me with ads than I do Google or Facebook, two advertising companies whose entire platforms are built around that model - Apple is still better and less intrusive.

Does "Sign in with Facebook/Google" have the same privacy features as "Sign in with Apple"? Would something like "Sign in with Apple" ever get Executive approval over at Meta or Google? Probably not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

buglord posted:

The App Store ads really bug me for some reason. It’s the same match 3 puzzlers I see literally everywhere else. Just how many whales are supporting these games?

It doesn't take many, and a large percentage is poured straight back into advertising to keep the money coming.

30% from IAPs, then God knows how much extra from paid advertising to get people to buy more IAPs etc.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

buglord posted:

It’s entirely about the iMessage features, facetime, and knowing a video sent won’t get all mega compressed.

Would be nice if people actually talked about those things though instead of just being reductive about “uGh a gReEn tExT, DiSgUsTiNg” all the time. Yeah, there is a weird teen social pressure deal about green vs blue texts, but adults should be able to address the annoyances without just falling back on that. Personally the media compression is the only benefit I get out of iMessage, since I don’t use FaceTime, or any other video chatting app for that matter, and don’t use iMessage extra features unironically.

That said, I have seen grown rear end people bully another adult into buying an iPhone because of the whole green text thing back in the 5S days because people are just that broke brained.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it’s crazy how bad the ads are on apple news plus. i keep getting free trials and the ads are all If You Own A Home And Are Over 50 Read This or The Government Will Pay You To Install Rain Barrels with like a picture of joe biden or something. real bottom of the barrel dogshit. i wonder what’s up with that. i feel like it didn’t used to be this bad, like i remember seeing ads not so long ago that were actually thoughtfully formatted, not too busy and somewhat blended in with the rest of the page. i guess they don’t offer it on the web because then you could just block the ads with zero effort

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I figured Apple News+ meant you were paying also to *not* get ads. Jesus that’s awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It has to be some sort of agreement with the news companies, yes? If you have an issue of the New Yorker or NY Times delivered to your house, it still contains ads. Obviously it sucks, but like Cable TV, journalism has often been something that you pay for, but also have ads accompanied with your experience unless you're subscribed to something niche like Current Affairs.