Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Apparently the rescued guy responded by blocking the sherpa who saved him on Instagram.

https://twitter.com/visakanv/status/1665369658265047040?t=5Abt7owOqpVKjCz32-tYIw&s=19

The guy also didn't mention his rescuers name and claimed his own personal team rescued him until people kept calling him out.

https://twitter.com/sadhosays/status/1665349374929678336?t=G9aBQ01Bg1_Te0TgC8lIcw&s=19

https://twitter.com/sadhosays/status/1665289970712727554?t=36tqHxS5Hpx-CE7hYbLtmw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rich Man Huge Piece of poo poo, More at 11

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow. gently caress that guy. How do you get like that

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chicken and egg. Only a guy like that would scale a mountain where you hire servants to carry you up and queue for the summit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the guy were a character in a cautionary parable, the emperor would order him taken back up the mountain and left there.

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Well, my jaw is certainly on the floor now.

ANYWAY, Youtube's algorithm did not disappoint today, suggesting Morgan Chesky's personal HAPE horror story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0zukSak0Pc

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The sherpa story is one of the biggest news in Malaysia now because the guy has made a bunch of media appearances exaggerating elements of his climb where the sherpa rescuing him would wreck the narrative

https://twitter.com/visakanv/status/1665372949250027523?t=qYTIGbdopT2FrI-4d33Uww&s=19

https://twitter.com/amerhadiazmi/status/1665296207994912769?t=D47AJ0I7odsD8glDwwohuQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/likweis/status/1665493973727858688?t=Q9Esk1-ch9Lim2P9q3-VCw&s=19

(thread)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can’t believe that Elon Musk no longer holds the record for being the biggest dick to rescuers.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
O my God
OMG
It's like what I want to say I'd be getting trouble for so I won't but i's hard to drop my jaw now with a news story but this just did

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
gently caress it, carry him back up

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

slinkimalinki posted:

YES

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

slinkimalinki posted:

This dude is gonna hubris out and try again next year, then become the first person literally crucified at the summit of Mount Everest. Sherpas blame erratic weather caused by climate change. The government of Nepal has closed the case as unsolvable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now you have to climb the cross at the summit to truly say you climbed Everest.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Internet makes fun of Malaysian characters who don’t leave the house and now those that do

Make up your mind sheesh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I wanna be a billionaire so I can rent a couple of sky cranes and drop a tall slippery obelisk on top of Everest and put a webcam on it just so you can watch all the people just slide off of it

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
This dude, who was probably summiting Everest as a loving dick-swinging exercise, was immobile and shivering in the death zone when Gelje Sherpa comes along, scoops him up like a backpack and wears him down the mountain - probably on his 4th summit this season or something equally mad. Dude got absolutely dunked in the manhood department and is failing to acknowledge Gelje in a futile attempt to sooth his fragile masculinity. It’s very amusing. Also Sherpas are superhuman and awesome.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

theflyingexecutive posted:

I wanna be a billionaire so I can rent a couple of sky cranes and drop a tall slippery obelisk on top of Everest and put a webcam on it just so you can watch all the people just slide off of it

congrats for making it to 8,848 meters! now the real challenge begins: the unyielding jagged face and deadly traps of the aggro-crag

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

congrats for making it to 8,848 meters! now the real challenge begins: the unyielding jagged face and deadly traps of the aggro-crag

Build a 152 meter tower on top and make people Ninja Warrior themselves up a salmon ladder to hit 9k.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/everesttoday/status/1664688681586753548?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Build a 152 meter tower on top and make people Ninja Warrior themselves up a salmon ladder to hit 9k.

And the sherpa who builds it gets the recognition for being the first, highest human ever.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Xlorp posted:

And the sherpa who builds it gets the recognition for being the first, highest human ever.

lol no. That's being auctioned.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

gently caress this is much better than my joke

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Sen’s Fortress but on Everest

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Sen’s Fortress but on Everest

after weeks of acclimatization and an arduous few day's climb up from base camp, I arrive at the summit of the tallest mountain in the world and am greeted with a single sign, "try jumping".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How did that guy end up alone there? He keeps thanking his team, but they left him?

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That motivational speaker isn't wrong, though. Billionaires and CEOs are psychos. :capitalism:

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Facebook Aunt posted:

How did that guy end up alone there? He keeps thanking his team, but they left him?

I saw some stuff that said he was doing a solo attempt, but I guess still had some sort of support team. They just weren't climbing with him?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

DurianGray posted:

I saw some stuff that said he was doing a solo attempt, but I guess still had some sort of support team. They just weren't climbing with him?

Well that sounds more my sort of gig. Any goon want's to climb Everest, I will accept a well paid job in the role of emailing you encouraging messages.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think he don't remember much from his rescue.
Brain need oxygen, and yes they left for dead at the balcony.

Quote:
The biggest viral video of the season was Gelje Sherpa carrying a sick Malaysian climber whose team had abandoned him on the Balcony.
Gelje had to ask his Chinese client to give up his summit bid before he carried the ailing climber on his shoulders to Camp 4.
There, another group of sherpas took a shift and carried him to Camp 3. Here, helicopters airlifted him from the mountain in a long-line operation.

In camp 4 he might got oxygen some medicine and a hot drink reviving him some.
And from there his team rescued him.

Now his story made headlines over the world, so no excuses for him not looking up his own rescue and inform himself.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
He was brain damaged enough before he tried to climb Everest, I can only imagine how baked his cranium soup is now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Xlorp posted:

Pretty sure I was the highest human a few nights ago.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm the highest human, because I'm posting from the summit of Mount Chimborazo in South America, and I'm at least two kilometers higher than any of those chumps on Everest.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Checkmate, Everestailures

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

~Coxy posted:

I'm the highest human, because I'm posting from the summit of Mount Chimborazo in South America, and I'm at least two kilometers higher than any of those chumps on Everest.

with respect, I just took a flight and for some reason we were scraping 40,000 feet

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why don't people just fly a hot air balloon to Everest huh? What a bunch of maroons

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why don't people just fly a hot air balloon to Everest huh? What a bunch of maroons

Apparently you could book a hot air balloon flight over Everest for like $5.2 million. I had no idea they could go that high

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

with respect, I just took a flight and for some reason we were scraping 40,000 feet

If your planes scrapping peoples feet you're flying far to low!!!

:dadjoke:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Captain Toasted posted:

Apparently you could book a hot air balloon flight over Everest for like $5.2 million. I had no idea they could go that high

You should really check out what china's been doing with balloons lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
First oxygen thief to get blown out of the sky over Everest by the USAF.