Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Antigravitas posted:

You shouldn't dive anywhere near the Danish isles because the area is busy as gently caress and quite shallow, along with pretty brutal tidal currents between those isles despite the Baltic not having much tidal movement otherwise. We are talking <25m anywhere around Denmark, often <10m even in the Greater Belt.

If you want to sail a sub through the Greater Belt, consider hoisting a radar reflector.

The Øresund between Kastrup and Malmø is minimum 7m deep. No subs coming that way, lol. Storebælt depth is 60m under the East Bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

Hadn't russia threatened to blow up the dam before and I thought it was reported as rigged with explosives?

edit - I could be mixing it up with any number of civilian infrastructure russia has threatened to destroy to be fair

Ukraine asserted that Russia had planted explosives in it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Looks like we found our new thread name.

I wonder if this really was just simple incompetency or a planned demolition?

some unconfirmed sources point to planned demolition

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1666031403471982592

https://twitter.com/sternenko/status/1665999679887212546

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1665997969672347650

reportedly water level was record high just before the dam's destruction, possibly because sluice gates were closed by Russians

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1666012180217462785

also Peskov blames Ukraine, thus confirming it was Russia

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1666029425173864449

no immediate threat to NPP according to IAEA

https://twitter.com/iaeaorg/status/1665956258317496323

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 6, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
it's like the dambusters but crap

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Where is the dog?!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Where is the dog?!

Believe me, you do not want to read anything on the topic of dogs during and after the Bucha massacre. It’s an extra layer of tragedy on top the human one.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

I hope Sgt Good Boy is ok :-(

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Dwesa posted:

also Peskov blames Ukraine, thus confirming it was Russia

Must be those same SEALs from the Nordstream sabotage, this time not in wetsuits but invisibility cloaks to get into the dam and place a massive explosive charge without any Russians noticing.

Looking at this war like it's EVE Online, we may have reached the 'didn't want that space Crimea and Donbass anyway' stage.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Disco Pope posted:

Where is the dog?!

Taking a break after rebuilding the city.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

I suspect it'll never be able to start up again though. May not even be decomissionable, depending on how spicy the inside of the reactor dome gets.

Its been cold shutdown for months, they'll be fine.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Does this mean there's enough water to move Subs upriver now or is the salinity of the river water too low?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mokotow posted:

Believe me, you do not want to read anything on the topic of dogs during and after the Bucha massacre. It’s an extra layer of tragedy on top the human one.

Yeah, I know, but I don't want to know, if you follow me.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

CommieGIR posted:

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

lol

They’ll just blow it the gently caress up before leaving, and blame the Ukrainians. You know, like they just did to a dam and hydroelectric plant

It’s not like Russia gives a poo poo what happens to a Ukraine if they can’t hold it

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Victis posted:

lol

They’ll just blow it the gently caress up before leaving, and blame the Ukrainians. You know, like they just did to a dam and hydroelectric plant

It’s not like Russia gives a poo poo what happens to a Ukraine if they can’t hold it

They didnt blow up Chernobyl when they were leaving Kyiv outskirts

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Russia is so salty about losing they just submerged a whole region. A flood of cope.

The destructive flailing tantrum of an embarrassingly pathetic diaper aficionado.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Victis posted:

lol

They've threatened to, but I suspect they realize that'll likely turn more stinkeye on them. Nobody is buying a false flag around the plant.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

And? How long were they in control of it compared to Nova Kakhovka or ZPP? How much worse has the invasion gotten, and how much less likely has any kind of victory anywhere become?

“Surely Russia hasn’t gotten that spiteful yet”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Victis posted:

And? How long were they in control of it compared to Nova Kakhovka or ZPP? How much worse has the invasion gotten, and how much less likely has any kind of victory anywhere become?

Blowing a dam is one thing, if they blow up a nuclear power plant, there will be immense international outrage over it. Threats are one thing, Russia's been threatening to nuke people for months, but doing so is completely different.

I will be surprised if they act on the threat to the ZNPP

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

fatherboxx posted:

On the other hand, Ukraine would like to power ZPP back on, while Chernobyl has been closed down for a while. Only one of them would be a big loss if destroyed. (Though both would ofc be a huge mess)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Victis posted:

There is a big difference between blowing up a dam to gently caress up south part of the country (including territories that are going to be deoccupied from Russian control sooner or later) and irradiating a good part of Europe including Russian territory

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Boot found at dam, Americans to blame.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Sedgr posted:

Russia is so salty about losing they just submerged a whole region. A flood of cope.

The destructive flailing tantrum of an embarrassingly pathetic diaper aficionado.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

It's less spite or cope and more planned dice throwing. The blowing or failing of the dam has been wargamed and considered on both sides. Can't say for sure which way it's going to hit worse, other than the brunt of harm will hit civilians.

Putin is indeed a piece of poo poo.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

As dismaying as it it, given russia incompetence in just about every area it seems exceedingly likely that for the foreseeable future all they will have the capacity/capability to affect is harm on civilians....

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Considering this is a pretty massive warcrime, this will absolutely put the gas on weapons deliveries to Ukraine.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/what-is-kakhovka-dam-ukraine-2023-06-06/

An estimated 85% of the water to Crimea is at risk, so yeah fun times to live there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Splorange posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/what-is-kakhovka-dam-ukraine-2023-06-06/

An estimated 85% of the water to Crimea is at risk, so yeah fun times to live there.

It's only like ~15% of the drinking water (rest is industrial/agricultural use) and the canal was shut off 2014-2022 so it's nothing they haven't weathered before. They've had a year to let reservoirs fill so it will be some months before they're as badly off as they were pre-invasion.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Whilst we don't yet know for certain, if it was indeed Russia (and they are most likely culprits by far IMO), then it once again just demonstrates their utter disregard for the people of Crimea and the other occupied territories.

Heck I wonder if this might not backfire, making their position seem more untenable, creating more fear and uncertainty in the Crimean population.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CommieGIR posted:

Blowing a dam is one thing, if they blow up a nuclear power plant, there will be immense international outrage over it. Threats are one thing, Russia's been threatening to nuke people for months, but doing so is completely different.

I will be surprised if they act on the threat to the ZNPP

Blow up a nuclear power plant sounds like a good way to get the final fence-sitters (China, India, etc) to take sides against Russia. Russia is depending on countries like these to help it evade sanctions, buy it's oil and generally keep it's economy from totally collapsing.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

It's only like ~15% of the drinking water (rest is industrial/agricultural use) and the canal was shut off 2014-2022 so it's nothing they haven't weathered before. They've had a year to let reservoirs fill so it will be some months before they're as badly off as they were pre-invasion.

True indeed it says so in the rundown, I was thinking more of what the water quality will be as opposed to running out - in any case loving over Crimea was apparently worth whatever benefit is perceived to be gotten from busting the dam.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Dam blows up/collapses and pictures/videos everywhere

1500 dead Ukraine soldiers, bunch of tanks, 100 armoured vehicles blown up aaaaaand....nothing

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Maybe russia got a little shook about those reports a month or so ago about Ukraine setting up shop in the marshlands on the left bank...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

Blow up a nuclear power plant sounds like a good way to get the final fence-sitters (China, India, etc) to take sides against Russia. Russia is depending on countries like these to help it evade sanctions, buy it's oil and generally keep it's economy from totally collapsing.

Also France still buys Uranium from Russia and Rosatom is one of the few state companies that are not yet sanctioned by EU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

short thread on Zaporizhzhia NPP

tl;dr: all reactors except one are cold and require very little water for cooling (comparable to water hose per reactor), one reactor is warm/hot, but water from cooling pond should last for months even if not replenished

https://twitter.com/energybants/status/1665947369442033664

explosions in Tokmak

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1666073259123568640

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1666071677292118018

MBTs in Bilhorod, formerly territory of Russian Federation :shrug:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1666061372931571721

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 6, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dwesa posted:

short thread on Zaporizhzhia NPP

tl;dr: all reactors except one are cold and require very little water for cooling (comparable to water hose per reactor), one reactor is warm/hot, but water from cooling pond should last for months even if not replenished

https://twitter.com/energybants/status/1665947369442033664

I would think that whatever cooling water they need could be drawn from the river regardless. I don't think there's going to be a problem.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

So basically everything everywhere all at once.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

I would think that whatever cooling water they need could be drawn from the river regardless. I don't think there's going to be a problem.

The plant has its private reservoir for emergencies/cooling, usually they draw directly from the river to replenish when the reactors are critical and operating, but they keep enough on hand to keep the reactors and the spent fuel ponds filled and cool even in a drought.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:tif:

https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1666079339178500100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Time to play Where’s Saldo?

*glug glug noises*