Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
That'd have to be a stand alone Witcher game totally devoid and divorced of all canon already associated with Geralt and the universe created by Andrzej.

Don't know how that might work considering that Witcher is probably copyrighted. Otherwise it's just a generic monster hunter game but with all the abilities, generic backstory, and game mechanics we're used to.

I'd be cool with a school of the cat Witcher, where I got to see how the failed Witchers from Kaer Morhen were treated, and how their 'failures' make them unfit for a wolf head medallion. Oh, so we've given you the trial of the grasses and all the mutations, the training, but you're somehow too mentally unstable to have demi God like powers to chase abominations all over.

Unrelated but I really hate the play as ciri parts of the game.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'd say a game set in Zerrikania might be interesting, but I don't really trust a Polish studio to have the endurance to write 'sword and sandal' at a high quality for 120 hours of game time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

lite_sleepr posted:

That'd have to be a stand alone Witcher game totally devoid and divorced of all canon already associated with Geralt and the universe created by Andrzej.

Would it though?

Like 90% of W3 is original content outside of "hey geralt helped that guy with a different monster/royalty related issue once" and some of the best sequences like the bloody baron were spun out of whole cloth

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Can they unburn all the bridges with the writers and developers who crunched during Witcher and left for Cyberpunk? I think that would get them closer to a great game next time around.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Why? I get that if you did that it would be easier to set it not near Geralt either temporally or physically, but that still leaves so, so much to work with. Geralt and Ciri etc occupy a very narrow window of time, and Geralt's life prior to Ciri's birth is pretty empty. There is no reason you couldn't set it 150 years back or whatever and just tell your own story in the setting. Seems like you could use the universe just fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lite_sleepr posted:

Don't know how that might work considering that Witcher is probably copyrighted. Otherwise it's just a generic monster hunter game but with all the abilities, generic backstory, and game mechanics we're used to.

I'm pretty sure CD Projekt bought the rights to make Witcher games in perpetuity. Which is kind of a lovely deal for the author based on how popular the games are, but it also sold a poo poo ton more copies of his books in countries that aren't Poland and there wouldn't be a Netflix series without Witcher 3, and he got paid for those.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure CD Projekt bought the rights to make Witcher games in perpetuity. Which is kind of a lovely deal for the author based on how popular the games are, but it also sold a poo poo ton more copies of his books in countries that aren't Poland and there wouldn't be a Netflix series without Witcher 3, and he got paid for those.

Tbf it’s not like CD Projekt had any reason to think the games would blow up either, so he’s still probably making way more bank than he probably ever expected to make off of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Last Celebration posted:

Tbf it’s not like CD Projekt had any reason to think the games would blow up either, so he’s still probably making way more bank than he probably ever expected to make off of it.

Yeah, Witcher 1 did well enough to make Witcher 2 a thing they did and Witcher 2 did well enough they went all out on Witcher 3, and then it loving exploded. I'm willing to bet the number of people who bought either Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 is dwarfed by the number of people who bought Witcher 3.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Sapkowski also already began legal action to get a more equitable share of the success and CDPR settled with him, so I doubt he's doing too badly from it.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 6, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CDPR did initially offer him royalties but he turned them down in favour of a flat sum.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

SirSamVimes posted:

CDPR did initially offer him royalties but he turned them down in favour of a flat sum.

Yeah. I remember a lot of Yanks being absolutely mortified that Poland allows writers to take that legal action. It's good. You shouldn't get hosed out of an equitable outcome just because you're a creative and are risk-adverse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm glad the author has gotten better recompense, I was just pointing out CD Projekt can probably make whatever the gently caress kinda game they want using any and all Witcher lore.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah that is correct. They own the rights to make the games. That's why I hope they just completely shift away from the books for the new one and don't do like, young Vesemir or something.

If they must keep it tied to the books, Eskel would be much more enjoyable. The battle with the Wild Hunt would be a good jumping off point that sees him have a similarly epic story to geralt now that he has become truly enmeshed in world politics despite his best efforts.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Imagine having to handle Keira as your main love interest. :v:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Imagine having to handle Keira as your main love interest. :v:

that's lambert lol

that would also be better than young vesemir. basically i think young vesemir would be too plagued by stupid prequel poo poo for it to truly be fun. I could deal with a game where you play as both lambert and keira for example and follow some new adventure they get up to. Add in spellcasting and stuff for flavor and to help differentiate W4 from the geralt games.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I can't believe I confused my witchers, gah. :eng99:

I guess it's high time for a replay.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Play as young Eskel but it does the fable thing where every time you die you get a scar on your face

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Play as young Eskel but it does the fable thing where every time you die you get a scar on your face

no prequels goddammit!!!

I get mad about them!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that's lambert lol

What a prick.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I figured they did the whole second conjunction of the spheres thing so they had a lot more room to play with in the series' direction. I doubt they'll do a prequel.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Lambert and Keira are both dead :colbert:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I figured they did the whole second conjunction of the spheres thing so they had a lot more room to play with in the series' direction. I doubt they'll do a prequel.

yeah, a sudden uptick in monsters, even if it was not to the degree of the first one, gives plenty of space for stories less concerned with the Universe is Ending and more like B&W. Have eskel or lambert get pulled into high society/politics level stuff since now the Lodge and others know of their capabilities similar to Geralt and he is out of the picture. Easy to imagine Phillipa, Fringella, or even Triss leaning on one of them for help.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Godspeed, Doug :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/DCockle/status/1665979747992494082

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

If I recall, CDPR gave Andrezj an option: like 20,000 for the first game or a percentage of all game sales. He took the first option, then tried to sue them later after the red hot success of TW 3.

Polygon posted:

“I was stupid enough to sell them rights [to all of my novels],” he told Eurogamer. “They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all — give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t.”

A little over one year later, however, Sapkowski had second thoughts. In a bold letter to CD Projekt, made public in October 2018, he claimed that under Polish law he was wrongfully underpaid for his work. His demand for compensation from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt alone amounted to more than $16.11 million in royalties. At the time CD Projekt wrote in an official statement to its investors that his demands were “groundless.”

In either case, I feel like Geralt is too old to go on. He's what, 300+ years old or something? Any future games would have to be prequels or maybe DLC or short, stand alone games about significant periods in the books.

I dunno. Maybe it's best to just let it go the way of Dark Souls and just end on game 3.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 7, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

If I recall, CDPR gave Andrezj an option: like 20,000 for the first game or a percentage of all game sales. He took the first option, then tried to sue them later after the red hot success of TW 3.

In either case, I feel like Geralt is too old to go on. He's what, 300+ years old or something? Any future games would have to be prequels or maybe DLC or short, stand alone games about significant periods in the books.

I dunno. Maybe it's best to just let it go the way of Dark Souls and just end on game 3.

CDPR has made it clear Geralt is done. Any new games will be with other main characters

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Maybe Geralt fills Vesemir's shoes and kinda takes on tutoring Ciri?

I never liked Lambert.

Eskel was OK.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Drop the current cast and do something new. Media needs to stop being so caught up in history; you have an entire world, let's not focus on a half dozen people we've already seen in game and Novel.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I agree, I'm pretty tired of most prequels at this point and want something entirely new that doesn't have to rely on matching up to a story that exists already in the future.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Regis spinoff.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I want the entire game to revolve around Gwent and Gwent related intrigue. Maybe the main character can be Gwent themselves

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lite_sleepr posted:

Geralt's only about 100. They don't get specific, but in Witcher years he's in his early prime, considering Vesemir is around 400 and still active. Which makes it weird that Blood and Wine is sort of a retirement arc but they've done it now and it would be strange to just ignore that so I agree moving on with a new character would be a good idea. Some of the fatigue I'm feeling due to the TV show having all the same characters plays a part in that.

Geralt can still show up, I think that's too much of a buzz to pass up having a surprise appearance somewhere, but I would like to see a bunch of new characters. I don't think they should throw away the entire cast of the Witcher though because it's fairly huge and a lot of them would be involved in the witchery things you do.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 7, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Unless it takes place hundreds of years after Witcher 3 or very far away it'd be weird for the surviving witches to not show up at all, because they live forever and are heavily involved in politics.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Air Skwirl posted:

Unless it takes place hundreds of years after Witcher 3 or very far away it'd be weird for the surviving witches to not show up at all, because they live forever and are heavily involved in politics.

To be fair the other witchers are really annoyed at how heavily involved in politics Geralt gets lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair the other witchers are really annoyed at how heavily involved in politics Geralt gets lol

Yeah i was under the impression that witchers getting into politics is unusual, or at least strongly frowned upon. But I suppose the contrast between the way things are supposed to work and the way they do is a theme of the series ("monsters and other monsters," etc)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the ever changing and advancing world making it harder and harder for Witchers to ply their regular trade.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

roomtone posted:

Geralt's only about 100. They don't get specific, but in Witcher years he's in his early prime, considering Vesemir is around 400 and still active. Which makes it weird that Blood and Wine is sort of a retirement arc but they've done it now and it would be strange to just ignore that so I agree moving on with a new character would be a good idea. Some of the fatigue I'm feeling due to the TV show having all the same characters plays a part in that.

Geralt can still show up, I think that's too much of a buzz to pass up having a surprise appearance somewhere, but I would like to see a bunch of new characters. I don't think they should throw away the entire cast of the Witcher though because it's fairly huge and a lot of them would be involved in the witchery things you do.

Some reddit nerd did a math and Vesemir lived to ~175 years.
The retirement thing is pretty spot on, Geralt has the physique of a late 40's guy in TW3. A pretty rough 40's, too :)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 8, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
huh, i thought vesemir was way older than that. that makes it less weird then if geralt is actually as old as he appears. i thought he was just going to look like that for another 100 years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the big problem with doing a timeskip (aside from having to figure out what to do about the state of the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard) is that the Witcher is in a fantasy world that is very much not locked in a stagnant medieval period. It's developing, it's changing, there's new technologies being brought in. Even if magic and monsters aren't fully dying out, you jump forward a significant amount, and the world should be significantly different.

Maybe not steam engines or gunpowder, but there should be something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the big problem with doing a timeskip (aside from having to figure out what to do about the state of the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard) is that the Witcher is in a fantasy world that is very much not locked in a stagnant medieval period. It's developing, it's changing, there's new technologies being brought in. Even if magic and monsters aren't fully dying out, you jump forward a significant amount, and the world should be significantly different.

Maybe not steam engines or gunpowder, but there should be something.

i wouldn't mind being a witcher with a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Steampunk Witcher you say…