Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Literally A Person posted:

What kind of skates?

Bauer xlp ice skates. They're awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There's sun. You mother fuckers better be skating.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've been biking like a loser :smith:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

I've been biking like a loser :smith:

:baduk:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
It's gonna be 83° today so hell yeah i'm gonna be skating :mmmsmug:

I might try skating the very tame residential 2 miles of streets to the park instead of carrying the skates on my bicycle, but I've never skated on the streets before

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

12 miles last Friday and the London Wednesdays start next week :rms:

E: after 2 months of doing literally nothing and probably only about 4 times out since the end of October!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 12, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

I might try skating the very tame residential 2 miles of streets to the park instead of carrying the skates on my bicycle, but I've never skated on the streets before
Skating on streets can be very fun. It takes some getting use to and you kind of have to figure out what types of streets are actually good to skate on.

I only got comfortable doing it when I figured out a route near me that was like 75% trails and 25% streets interspersed with each other so it made it easily to practice it without doing a long route that was all streets, which can get pretty stressful and unpleasant.

The best type of streets imo are like quiet residential or one way streets that have a decent sidewalk with no berm so you can step up to and down from the sidewalk whenever you want to let cars go by (being able to do this is one of the nicest things about skating)

If you're two miles from the park on quiet streets I would highly suggest just giving it a go, especially if it has a sidewalk, unless people are driving like idiots.

I can't remember if you're using speed skates though (I think someone here was) and if you are it might be less pleasant.

Actually trying to figure out complicated routes on streets that are good for skating loving sucks though. i came up with a new route that's like 50% streets a few months ago where I had been trying to work out a longer loop through a certain place I had skated a couple times but it took me like a year of periodic tinkering in ridewithgps to figure out one that actually worked because of hills and arterial roads and stuff

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 12, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm using regular rollerblades and the only challenging bit is two major boulevards that I have to cross and some hills. I've practiced slaloming down hills and emergency stopping so much that I'm ready and the distance is nothing.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 12, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I personally really don't like hills where the downhill part continues right to an intersection even if I would otherwise be fine with the same hill because it makes me too nervous to even carve well because I worry I'll somehow get out of control and not be able to stop in time

As long as it flattens out a little before the intersection I'm fine though

I guess at some point I'll get confident enough it won't matter though

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 12, 2023

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
When I started street skating I tried a bunch of different parking lots / multi use trails / chill street routes and assigned a difficulty rating to each. I repeated the easier ones until I felt confident in my slaloming, slowing and stopping. If your neighborhood feels sketchy right now you might just need to find an area that's a little easier and work up to it. You can also build progressions of specific skills.

Skills I worked on for street skating, in order of importance:

- slowing / stopping: I use a drag stop 80% of the time but also do a fair amount of pizza'ing for cutting speed. I also have been working on power slides
- slaloming / carving on hills: by increasing the tightness of your carving you can adjust speed with less effort
- jumping cracks / curbs / debris

Strava has an option for inline skating and I started using that to keep track of routes. I would use the notes to keep track of things like good asphalt vs bad, big hills, etc and quickly built up a set of fun skate areas. I need to get back into it now that the weather is nice, I want to get my skate ability to the level that I can do all my cardio on skates.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
This is probably a PITA to watch but this is a good video

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrYzinrquq1/

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I did a skate!

Also might be time to just admit these skates don’t fit me, even after a few heat molds they keep chewing up my ankles and killing my feet

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

Also might be time to just admit these skates don’t fit me, even after a few heat molds they keep chewing up my ankles and killing my feet

New insoles and tall socks?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

New insoles and tall socks?

Yeah I could choose my socks better but I think the toe box is too narrow. I’ve tried my trusty superfeet and they did nothing

OH WELL I GUESS I’LL HAVE TO BUT SOME 125s

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Not entirely sure what issues its causing your feet, but if you're getting blisters and the socks are cotton then try wool or synthetic fabrics.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

No blisters, just road rash ankles from rubbing and achy foot balls

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

dupersaurus posted:

OH WELL I GUESS I’LL HAVE TO BUT SOME 125s

Really this is the only solution to most inline skate problems

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

No blisters, just road rash ankles from rubbing and achy foot balls

Skates too tight or not tight enough? Are they hard or soft boots?

I like mine tight on the ankles and have no issues but tbf it varies by design (FR1s with standard liners here, god they're comfortable).

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah FR boots are great for me with somewhat wider feet plus some ankle high thin wool socks and I'm fine even on the days when I'm in them for two hours

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Did a big rear end ramp to ramp transfer today that made me say the words "OH poo poo" out loud. Easily the longest hangtime I've ever had. Feeling pretty baller right now.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDYdw2dBSQg

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

E: Nevermind I asked this question like a year ago in this very thread

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

:byodood: NEW SKATE DAY :byodood:

Who knows what pains lie in wait for me, but at least I fit comfortably! Also fun, the cuffs come off so I can convert to a low boot and pretend to be a super 1337 speed skater

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

:byodood: NEW SKATE DAY :byodood:

Who knows what pains lie in wait for me, but at least I fit comfortably! Also fun, the cuffs come off so I can convert to a low boot and pretend to be a super 1337 speed skater

I LOVE NEW SKATE DAY!!

:buddy:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Shakedown report: trail was wet so I couldn’t push, but no foot pain! Going to need to re-learn sliding with a longer wheelbase. Even with the cuffs they feel a little more demanding of my ankles, and I’m nowhere close to being able to safely without the cuffs. Time to look into ankle strength training.

I LOVE NEW SKATE DAY!!

:buddy:

:toot:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

Shakedown report: trail was wet so I couldn’t push, but no foot pain! Going to need to re-learn sliding with a longer wheelbase. Even with the cuffs they feel a little more demanding of my ankles, and I’m nowhere close to being able to safely without the cuffs. Time to look into ankle strength training.

The ABC's!

Before you skate use your big toe to draw the abc's in the air without moving your leg a couple of times on each one. Really works a charm. :haibrower:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I finally managed to work out a sort of tolerable route to skate around where I live. It's an excessively complicated loop with a lot of stupid twists and turns to try to increase the distance and stay on quiet streets and a total of like 1.5 out of 10 miles is unfortunately on streets that are busy enough that I have to just take very crappy sidewalks because of how the roads are laid out, but it's nice to have an option to be able to just go skate without 20-30 minutes of driving each way

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

I finally managed to work out a sort of tolerable route to skate around where I live. It's an excessively complicated loop with a lot of stupid twists and turns to try to increase the distance and stay on quiet streets and a total of like 1.5 out of 10 miles is unfortunately on streets that are busy enough that I have to just take very crappy sidewalks because of how the roads are laid out, but it's nice to have an option to be able to just go skate without 20-30 minutes of driving each way

One thing I really miss about where I used to live is that I could get from my door straight onto a route along the river and do a clear 6-7 miles pretty much completely on the river walk with only a few detours onto some smooth roads. Then you stop at the pub and go 6-7 miles back.

Currently haven't found anywhere I can easily do this because the roads here suck, the drivers are maniacs and it's hilly. But I can cycle to a skate park on an old airfield in 15 minutes and go round and round the disused karting track showing off to children learning to ride bikes.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

New skates are faster than I expected

it was more like 20 max

mystes posted:

Lacking a good place to go skating right out my front door is why I’m mainly (sigh) a biker

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

New skates are faster than I expected

it was more like 20 max

Lacking a good place to go skating right out my front door is why I’m mainly (sigh) a biker

I've been contemplating putting my skate bag on my bike and riding out to the skatepark some afternoon just for fun. We can do more than one thing. Why can't we?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
One day I just decided I was going to skate all my chores and now it's my primary transport method. There are not that many hills that destroy me though I do definitely have the fear of a bottom-of-a-hill-intersection, I maybe need to start wearing brakes and figuring out how to go backwards in those situations or calm my tits a touch. But I did 200+ miles of street in April and May (can't give exact because I'm terrible at remembering to start a workout). And I walk with a cane. It's doable. You can do it. Start slow, do it when you feel good about it but if you aren't feeling good don't push.

And always wear safety gear

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Any tips for getting an uncomfortable skate to fit better, or am I better off finding a new boot? I have narrow feet and have been skating in Powerslide Swells. After about 2-3 hours of skating the outside edges of my feet hurt so bad I'm forced to stop skating. The pain is mostly from the midfoot up to my pinkie toe on both feet.

At first I thought this was just part of "wearing them in" but I've had them for over a year now and skate every few days and no changes. The boot is large enough to fit comfortably when not skating - in fact, it's extremely roomy, and when skating my feet shift around in them quite a bit, which is part of the problem. The ankle can be cinched down enough to be snug but the toebox is not adjustable at all, it's hard plastic with a fabric liner.

Things I've tried:
- adjusting the frames laterally (helped a little, I think a big part of it is that the frames aren't centered underneath my feet so I have to press on outside edges more than I probably should to stay on the "center edge" of my wheels)
- baking the plastic boot in the oven (helped with a hotspot on the inside of my ankle but not the larger issue)
- Dr. Scholls inserts (helped a little with arch support but not the larger issue)

Alternatively, any boots that fit narrow feet comfortably? I'm a woman if that matters.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I keep thinking about skating the part of my commute from station to office but I just know I'll turn up horrifically sweaty because I am incapable of not going full title when solo.

Anyway, anyone using 90mm wheels? I've got some 80s which I love but am finding that maintaining high speeds is effort, and some 110s that to be honest I haven't really got on with as I find them less stable and so less fun, even if they do hold speed better.

I'm thinking that 90s are maybe a good one to try next, as well as being an excuse to buy a new pair seeing as wheels+frames are like 70% of the cost of a whole new set.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I keep thinking about skating the part of my commute from station to office but I just know I'll turn up horrifically sweaty because I am incapable of not going full title when solo.

Anyway, anyone using 90mm wheels? I've got some 80s which I love but am finding that maintaining high speeds is effort, and some 110s that to be honest I haven't really got on with as I find them less stable and so less fun, even if they do hold speed better.

I'm thinking that 90s are maybe a good one to try next, as well as being an excuse to buy a new pair seeing as wheels+frames are like 70% of the cost of a whole new set.
I like 4x90mm the best. I think it's a good sweet spot where it's faster than 80mm but you're still pretty low to the ground and very maneuverable. It's maybe not as fast as 110/125 wheels if you're on a straight/flat bike path but in situations where you have to start/stop/turn a lot I think 90mm works better. (In contrast short 3x110 frames are pretty unstable and longer ones aren't that maneuverable.)

There does seem to be less wheel availability though. I need to replace my wheels because they're now worn down to below 80mm and I guess I just need to buy more hydrogens at full price. With 110mm it seems like it's easier to get good wheels on sale. Maybe I should try something off of aliexpress or something since some people claim that some of the wheels there are decent but it's hard to tell which ones are good and which ones are bad.

Actually 80mm wheels on a 90mm terrible isn't terrible at all either... it's a little slower than 90mm but even with the smaller wheels, the stability from the longer wheelbase is still pretty nice.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 6, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

One day I just decided I was going to skate all my chores and now it's my primary transport method. There are not that many hills that destroy me though I do definitely have the fear of a bottom-of-a-hill-intersection, I maybe need to start wearing brakes and figuring out how to go backwards in those situations or calm my tits a touch. But I did 200+ miles of street in April and May (can't give exact because I'm terrible at remembering to start a workout). And I walk with a cane. It's doable. You can do it. Start slow, do it when you feel good about it but if you aren't feeling good don't push.

And always wear safety gear

I was going to suggest practicing slaloming and hockey/power stop, but those are both going to be a bit rough on the knees. I managed to strain mine last time I went out after a bit of a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrDAi3aZLs&t=175s

This guy demonstrates that carving stop where you spin out all your energy and then shows what you're referring to as far as the backwards slide. I don't know how he's able to just jam his wheels down on the pavement and get them to slide, but maybe he's got some really smooth asphalt. I find it a lot easier to sweep the braking leg to the side and then back so that you ease into the brake and give your foot a feel for the correct amount of pressure to get you to sliding vs digging in

vonnegutt posted:

Any tips for getting an uncomfortable skate to fit better, or am I better off finding a new boot?

I really like wool socks for skating and you could try to fill some of that empty space with thicker socks. My boots fit pretty well, so I use very thin wool socks, but there's some athletic brands that have padding just on the bottom or you could go for typical wool socks that are thick as hell all around.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

I was going to suggest practicing slaloming and hockey/power stop, but those are both going to be a bit rough on the knees. I managed to strain mine last time I went out after a bit of a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrDAi3aZLs&t=175s

This guy demonstrates that carving stop where you spin out all your energy and then shows what you're referring to as far as the backwards slide. I don't know how he's able to just jam his wheels down on the pavement and get them to slide, but maybe he's got some really smooth asphalt. I find it a lot easier to sweep the braking leg to the side and then back so that you ease into the brake and give your foot a feel for the correct amount of pressure to get you to sliding vs digging in

I really like wool socks for skating and you could try to fill some of that empty space with thicker socks. My boots fit pretty well, so I use very thin wool socks, but there's some athletic brands that have padding just on the bottom or you could go for typical wool socks that are thick as hell all around.
Since they said using a brake and going backwards rather than "power sliding" to stop when going down hills I thought they might be talking about quad skates but I could be wrong (I'm not sure if quad skates have removable brakes though so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion?)

maybe you can slalom in quad skates though? I don't know that much about them

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 6, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

mystes posted:

Since they said using a brake and going backwards rather than "power sliding" to stop when going down hills I thought they might be talking about quad skates but I could be wrong (I'm not sure if quad skates have removable brakes though so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion?)

maybe you can slalom in quad skates though? I don't know that much about them

I thought that too, but I didn't think people removed the brakes on quads. If we're talking quads then yeah I don't know much about them

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You can totally slalom on quads! There are removable brakes but rarely are they removed. For jamming and artistic skating they do make plates with no place for a toestop whatsoever. We call those ones the widow makers.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

I like 4x90mm the best. I think it's a good sweet spot where it's faster than 80mm but you're still pretty low to the ground and very maneuverable. It's maybe not as fast as 110/125 wheels if you're on a straight/flat bike path but in situations where you have to start/stop/turn a lot I think 90mm works better. (In contrast short 3x110 frames are pretty unstable and longer ones aren't that maneuverable.)

There does seem to be less wheel availability though. I need to replace my wheels because they're now worn down to below 80mm and I guess I just need to buy more hydrogens at full price. With 110mm it seems like it's easier to get good wheels on sale. Maybe I should try something off of aliexpress or something since some people claim that some of the wheels there are decent but it's hard to tell which ones are good and which ones are bad.

Actually 80mm wheels on a 90mm terrible isn't terrible at all either... it's a little slower than 90mm but even with the smaller wheels, the stability from the longer wheelbase is still pretty nice.

Thanks that matches with what I'd thought about the sizing myself.

In the UK at least wheel availability doesn't seem to be a problem. Not as many for 90 as 80, but enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mauser posted:

I thought that too, but I didn't think people removed the brakes on quads. If we're talking quads then yeah I don't know much about them

I am indeed on quads. The brakes have been replaced with dance plugs (smooth half-domes that can act as a pivot point), but slaloming and carving are still possible and what I do at the moment, but to avoid being too rough on my knees it means I need a bit more area/reliable pavement to do a quick stop than I am sometimes allowed in NYC.

A common alternative to brakes is to drag the side of your skate/wheels against the ground but all this is also far more difficult on broken pavement with a bum knee. Not to say none of it is traversable somehow, just takes practice and intention.