Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I found it disgusting and offensive

If what I saw on Twitter is true The Flash movie outdid it but yeah I don't care who signed off on it or gave their blessing in an era of "remember this???" Harold Ramis ghost was (at the time) the nadir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan_Shore posted:

That's a great analysis that I've never heard before but sums up GB quite nicely!

It also really handily explains why each of the sequels had to start from a position where pretty much everyone else has forgotten or dismissed the events of the previous films even though they were extremely newsworthy and unforgettable - the juxtaposition underpinning Ghostbusters just doesn't work otherwise. It's really really unlikely that Phoebe had never heard anything at all about her Grandfather's exploits in NYC in 1984 even accidentally but but it was pretty important thematically for that to be the case.

It'll be interesting to see how GB4 handles that aspect

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It also really handily explains why each of the sequels had to start from a position where pretty much everyone else has forgotten or dismissed the events of the previous films even though they were extremely newsworthy and unforgettable - the juxtaposition underpinning Ghostbusters just doesn't work otherwise. It's really really unlikely that Phoebe had never heard anything at all about her Grandfather's exploits in NYC in 1984 even accidentally but but it was pretty important thematically for that to be the case.

It'll be interesting to see how GB4 handles that aspect

Granted they didn't go this route with Afterlife, but I could see something like the 1984 events being dismissed as some of kind of conspiracy. (See: 9/11 Truthers, or hell, a couple years ago/today regarding COVID). Maybe they touched on the idea of the general public not believing the events of Ghostbusters in Ghostbusters II, I don't remember.

It's such a common problem in media where the original is like an underdog story and/or uncovering some big truth. Once the underdog is no longer the underdog and/or the truth is uncovered, where do you go from there in a sequel?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ghostbusters is one of those films where the main characters (plus Louis) are living in a comedy but everyone else is in a dead serious disaster film, a large percentage of the funny moments happen when these normal sensible people have to deal with the GBs' bizarre nonsense. And that works amazingly well and is an absolute classic recipe for a hilarious movie ....... but if you make a sequel where the hook is that all those zany characters are missing for almost the entire runtime and a bunch of regular folk have to piece together the mystery and hold out long enough for the joke patrol to finally turn up then that's going to hit really differently.

I'd even argue that Winston wasn't a comedic character for the most part, he mostly acted as a straightman to contrast the other GBs' antics if no one else was around to do it. If you looked at the lives of Janine or Dana or Winston or Walter Peck or the manager at the Sedgewick Hotel before the movie started it'd just be a regular slice of life drama, they live in a non-comedic world. Egon's estranged family were in the same boat.

Winston’s comedy comes from his reacting like a normal, sane character would to the behavior of these three zany people to their circumstances. “Ray, if someone asks if you’re a god…” is both hilarious and what you’d say to a group spokesperson who, when faced with a world-destroying entity, responds like a comedy character. If the situation permitted, you can imagine Ray responding “You want me to lie just because the world is ending?”

Arguably, the failings of the 2016 movie center around a stronger mismatch between the “we’re in a comedy” characters clashing with “we’re in a disaster flick,” because at no point does that Ghostbusters team feel like they’re a mismatch for the movie they’re in. Too few people are “playing it straight.”

Conversely, I’d argue Afterlife handles things by crossing a different set of streams, one of which could be termed “nostalgia comedy,” mixed with the school comedy genre, mixed again with a disaster film but this time with far more owed to something like Paranormal Activity than the big world-ending movies of the 70s. Unsurprisingly, big fans of the original wanted “nostalgia comedy” a lot more than Ferris Bueller’s Day Ghostbusting, and thus discount the brand of comedy that dominates most of the movie. But the basic structures are there, though arguably in ways that don’t mesh as well as the simpler structures of the first two GB films.

This model is also interesting with GB 2. You could argue that Janosz is played for comedy, but at the same time, he fits neatly into a horror henchman trope (going back to Renfield in the 1931 Dracula) and what he does gets contrasted with his genre attitude. He’s notionally funny, but it’s more on the level of the creepy clown or madman than a character who fits into a comedy about a bunch of has-beens trying to make a comeback.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

If what I saw on Twitter is true The Flash movie outdid it but yeah I don't care who signed off on it or gave their blessing in an era of "remember this???" Harold Ramis ghost was (at the time) the nadir.

I think the reason ramis feels weirder to me than what the flash does is simply that ghostbusters is silly and fun and it being something that produces this just eludes me

This is the vibe I got

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What did the Flash do?

Not reshoot everything involving Ezra Miller?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What did the Flash do?

Not reshoot everything involving Ezra Miller?

Deepfake Christopher Reeve Superman

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

gently caress offfffffff.

I was expecting that or Adam West when you said that and it still pisses me off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Jfc, really? Wow.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh jeez no.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

:ohdear:

Please tell me that Zod doesn't snap his neck :ohdear: :ohdear:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Every DC movie since The Dark Knight has been, at best, a B-.

How long until they bring back Ledger? You know they've talked about it.

Edit: Correction: The Lego Batman Movie was a B+.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 5, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Lego Batman movie is the best Batman movie, with ‘The Batman’ being a close second.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress offfffffff.

I was expecting that or Adam West when you said that and it still pisses me off.

Adam West Batman has been rumored for the past few months and I don't know if it made it in but I saw someone on twitter who said they were so pissed off about what I posted they spoiled it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The Lego Batman movie is the best Batman movie, with ‘The Batman’ being a close second.

Neither of those are Mask of the Phantasm

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Adam West Batman has been rumored for the past few months and I don't know if it made it in but I saw someone on twitter who said they were so pissed off about what I posted they spoiled it.

Yeah, I’ve seen that rumour too. Basically everyone gets a look in, allegedly. Chris Reeves, Helen Slater, George Reeves (with an appropriate era-looking Jay Garrick) Adam West, 90s TV Flash… but no Grant Gustin

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

It shouldn't loving be a franchise.
As long as we're trying to wish our way into way better universes than our own, let's go to the one where it was one, but every entry in it was even better than the last.

poo poo, I'm one of the five people who thinks Ghostbusters 2 is brilliant and that Afterlife is really the only truly bad movie or show in the whole franchise, but even I agree with you.

The Merkinman posted:

It's such a common problem in media where the original is like an underdog story and/or uncovering some big truth. Once the underdog is no longer the underdog and/or the truth is uncovered, where do you go from there in a sequel?
You have nobody give a poo poo five years later and have the heroes working birthday parties where even the kids would rather see He-Man.

I still say that poo poo was brilliant.

ImpAtom posted:

Neither of those are Mask of the Phantasm
drat straight.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lol wtf is this?

Goodbye Egon....have fun in ghost jail.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

banned from Starbucks posted:

lol wtf is this?

Goodbye Egon....have fun in ghost jail.
The ghost jail where he put all the ghosts. Can ghosts hurt each other? Egon's about to find out!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LividLiquid posted:

You have nobody give a poo poo five years later and have the heroes working birthday parties where even the kids would rather see He-Man.

One of the kids at the party tells Ray "My dad says you guys are full of crap and that's why you went out of business" and when they're packing up afterwards Winston mentions they were sued by every state, county and city agency in New York, when Venkman is confronted by the mayor's aide at the TV station he mentions that they got "stiffed on the bill" by the city after the Gozer incident and the aide calls them two bit frauds and publicity hounds, during the court hearing after they dig up the street it's mentioned that they're under a judicial restraining order which strictly forbids them from "performing services as paranormal investigators or eliminators" and during the sentencing the judge says "There's no place for fakes, charlatans or tricksters like you in decent society! You play on the gullibility of innocent people!"

Everyone thinks they faked everything that happened in '84 and the city sued them for damages and banned them from ghostbusting

Edit: I'm still salty that Winston got left out of the big action scene at the court house with the Scoleri brothers. He's chatting with them before the hearing starts and then he disappears for a while and then he reappears sitting right behind the others for a shot or two but then he disappears again and is just gone

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 6, 2023

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"
One of the best parts of the 2016 film is all the cover ups the city officials have to do "Thank you for sorting this... ALL THESE WOMEN ARE MAD, it's like they read eat, pray love and ran with it"
Can't think of one funny line in afterlife, is there even one that doesn't involve the original cast?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

Ghostbusters 2 is brilliant

I'll bite. In what way is it brilliant? It's a soulless, beat-for-beat remake of the original.

- The guys are out on their luck and everyone thinks they're full of poo poo.
- The guys get a lead.
- The guys make a bust. Venkman emerges from twin doors and makes a triumphant pronouncement.
- Montage!
- Venkman woos Dana while the other Ghostbusters are trying to suss out the mystery. Dana gets scared by the big bad monster and goes to Venkman for help.
- Through trials and tribulations, the Ghostbusters get in trouble and they get taken to the Mayor.
- Montage!
- Eventually the Mayor sides with them and the city is cheering for them.
- Giant monster stomp-asses through Manhattan.
- The guys eventually blow the big bad monster away.
- Venkman and Dana kiss.
- Theme song / credits.

It isn't minute-for-minute, but it sure as hell is a beat-for-beat remake, and the fact that no one besides Aykroyd actually wanted to make it is painfully obvious in the writing, the performances and the direction. Murray has always been vocal about how miserable he was during the shoot, and prior to their passing, both Ramis and Reitman declined to speak about the movie in interviews, because they were so unhappy with it.

Grave Centipede posted:

Can't think of one funny line in afterlife, is there even one that doesn't involve the original cast?

I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I do remember feeling that Ray saying "Egon Spengler can rot in hell" felt grossly out of character.

Timby fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 6, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess one other reason that the beginning of GB2 feels so miserable and disappointing is that it the Real Ghostbusters cartoon series had been running for several years at that point and it showed us an alternative version of how their lives turned out after the events of '84: they're still regularly busting ghosts and saving people and they've become beloved local celebrities who are invited to take part in the big Thanksgiving Parade and similar events.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: I'm still salty that Winston got left out of the big action scene at the court house with the Scoleri brothers. He's chatting with them before the hearing starts and then he disappears for a while and then he reappears sitting right behind the others for a shot or two but then he disappears again and is just gone

Wasn't there something in the novelization that said he was dealing with people outside of the courtroom and even caught a ghost there?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GB2 is a soulless remake of 1 but it does have some good laughs and scarier than the first one. Always worth throwing on

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narsham posted:

Arguably, the failings of the 2016 movie center around a stronger mismatch between the “we’re in a comedy” characters clashing with “we’re in a disaster flick,” because at no point does that Ghostbusters team feel like they’re a mismatch for the movie they’re in. Too few people are “playing it straight.”

One thing that's been mentioned and worth mentioning again is that the 2016 crew - with a slight exception for Patty, briefly - are never scared of what's going on which does help 'this is a comedy but there are disaster movie stakes.'

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I'll bite. In what way is it brilliant? It's a soulless, beat-for-beat remake of the original.

I mean the bottom line is that GB2 has a ton of great talents in it that are fun to watch even in a retread. I can't help but have fun watching Moranis and Potts play off each other, and the addition of Peter MacNicol was an amazing piece of casting. And that's before you get into anything the actual leads are doing, even if you say Murray was sleepwalking through there are still plenty of great comedy moments with Ramis and Aykroyd.

So I dunno there's only so much I can criticize it when it's packed with people I love to see do what they do.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
On my last re-watch of GB2, and I probably made this point pages back, was that it was noticeable how the middle part of the film rushes from set piece to set piece and doesn't let the movie just settle before increasing the stakes as if everyone involved wasn't entirely convinced that the general plot of the movie was strong enough. Contrast to the first one where there's a lull post catching Slimer to Dana getting attacked in her apartment, and then the threat level of gozer is slowly increased up until the containment unit blows up. At least that's how I saw it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GB2 is worth it entirely for the Rick Moranis Lawyer scene

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ImpAtom posted:

GB2 is worth it entirely for the Rick Moranis Lawyer scene

Moranis and MacNicol are the MVPs. They should have made a movie just about the two of them being weird. Not even as Louis and Janosz, just the two of them playing off each other with whatever weirdo character ideas they have.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One of the things that bugs me about GB2 is how most of it inexplicably takes place on the same day (New Year's Eve).

The night before (I assume), Dana comes over to Peter's house because of the slime. Peter calls Egon and Ray, who go to investigate likely that night.

From my recollection (and of course some of these events overlap), on New Years Eve:

- Dana cleans Peter's apt (he tells her that they're going out tonight. Is this the first and only time Janine's last name is used in either movie?
- the photos catch on fire (was this the night before?)
- (did they visit the museum that day?)
- Ray, Egon, and Winston delve into the subway, Winston falls in
- Dana and Peter go on their date
- Janosz kidnaps Oscar
- the guys meet the mayor
- Jack commits them to Parkview or whatever it's called
- Dana goes to get Oscar, is trapped. Waits with Janosz for what seems like hours
- Louis/Sherman bust the guys out & Jack is fired
- the guys try their proton packs on the slime
- they rig and slime THE ENTIRE STATUE OF LIBERTY
- they pilot it to the museum, fight Vigo, and win around the stroke of midnight.

That is one tight schedule.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're missing that whole first part where Dana goes to Egon about what happened with Oscar's carriage, then the Ghostbusters dig down and find the river of slime and cause the blackout, then end up getting arrested and you have the court scene. That's like two extra days.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You're missing that whole first part where Dana goes to Egon about what happened with Oscar's carriage, then the Ghostbusters dig down and find the river of slime and cause the blackout, then end up getting arrested and you have the court scene. That's like two extra days.

That wasn't the point of my post. The point was that most of the stuff that happens, does so on NYE. Obviously not the whole movie, but a shockingly large portion of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It does make GB2 a great New Years Eve movie, that's typically when I watch it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I should clarify that the only reason it 'bugs' me is that it seems impossible how so many things can occur in what's probably less than 24 hours. I have no issue with it actually be set on and around NYE.

The first movie had some crazy compressed time shenanigans going on, too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The first movie had some crazy compressed time shenanigans going on, too.

It's got some sneakily disguised timeskips as well, but I'm pretty sure almost no one would notice until it's pointed out to them

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Moranis and MacNicol are the MVPs. They should have made a movie just about the two of them being weird. Not even as Louis and Janosz, just the two of them playing off each other with whatever weirdo character ideas they have.

MacNicol does add a lot of quotability to the movie. "Why am I drippings with goo?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

Basically, I agree on the latter point and think it's a weakness and not a deal-breaker, but don't agree with the former. It doesn't feel soulless to me at all.

So, again, it probably shouldn't have been made, nor any of what we got in theaters after it, but I still think it's a really great flick.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghostbusters is one of those films where the main characters (plus Louis) are living in a comedy but everyone else is in a dead serious disaster film…

I don’t agree with this, because I think lots of people are flippant, jaded assholes in the GB universe.

I view the original as an irreverent piss-take of HP Lovecraft. There are inscrutable elder gods, a cold and indifferent universe full of forces that can end civilization, but instead of collapsing into despair, the people of New York are too busy and cynical to give a gently caress.

It’s not just the Ghostbusters themselves, it’s everyone. The Mayor cares way more about the next election than the rising tide of the undead. Businessmen need to get to Lincoln Center, the ConEd dude doesn’t want to get sued, the cops resent this Fed telling them what to do. The literal apocalypse doesn’t change the fact Winston’s gotta get paid.

Everyone’s kind of in on the joke, in that sense. “I’ll take the next one.” “I gotta get my own lawyer…”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
GB2 commits the unforgivable sin of not being GB1, which it shares with All Other Movies.

It's not as good, but what is? It's definitely good enough to be one of those movies that if I catch it mid-play, I'll watch it entirely the way to the end.

Yes I know streaming changes the metaphor.