Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Quest 3 simply lets you plug in some 10 dollar battery brick from five below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
To work remotely on the apple vr headset for one day you would need the $3500 headset and another $3000 worth of batteries

Imagine a conference room full of people doing this

This has to have been the pitch and by the time the tech recession started brewing they were already too far in to stop

Lmao when zuccs bad second life clone brings down the entire tech sector

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Why can't this horseshit die for good?

maxwellhill posted:

never bet against the military industrial complex

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I just don't see it

Mobile carriers aren't gonna subsidize this like they do iphones and MacBooks are popular but also happen to offer student discounts that make them competitive with PC notebooks. This product is priced like the highest end Mac computers without the subsidy pipeline or utilitarian use cases their other offerings have. The expense is high, difficult to defray, and difficult to justify. At a time when consumer credit is already being pushed beyond it's breaking point.

Apple has surprised me before but this product succeeding would be on par with a religious miracle

Pricing aside, it's just totally missing an obvious use. A phone is good because it calls and texts and has a browser, a laptop is a computer that can go places, these things have matured and are seen as essentials now, but even on day one they were obviously useful. This thing is, what? I can watch tv and text on my phone on my couch, but without a tv or a phone? Okay, but I already have those, I can already get very close to the thing being advertised here.

I just don't see what new thing this is supposed to allow me to do, and the look of the thing is so repellant that it really needs a sweet trade off. "You can watch movies on a long flight at a rate of one battery pack per movie" is not it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

Mickelson told a journalist that despite Saudi Arabians being "scary motherfuckers" who had murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi and executed gay people, he supported the Saudi-backed LIV Golf because it offered an opportunity to reshape the PGA Tour.[85] In response to these comments, Mickelson lost sponsors Amstel Light and KPMG.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

white person wearing $10,000 bandolier full of lithium: marketing exec
brown person wearing suspicious explosive device (possibly stolen?): terrorist

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

officer I'm not trying to bomb this open air cafe, I just have a small penis

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the guy has lost atleast 40 million dollars on gambling debts lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

To work remotely on the apple vr headset for one day you would need the $3500 headset and another $3000 worth of batteries

Imagine a conference room full of people doing this

This has to have been the pitch and by the time the tech recession started brewing they were already too far in to stop

Lmao when zuccs bad second life clone brings down the entire tech sector

you can just plug the battery pack into the wall

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
it's a $3,500 personal tv you can bring anywhere (but you need to plug it in, realistically).

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Trabisnikof posted:

you can just plug the battery pack into the wall

Every time you unplug it from the wall, the Evangelion countdown down clock appears.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

time to buy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

after 2 years does the performance of your $3,500 nerd goggle go to poo poo because of ~battery degradation~?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Jakarta method ftw

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

after 2 years does the performance of your $3,500 nerd goggle go to poo poo because of ~battery degradation~?

what part about having courage dont you understand?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lmao if you are still using the Nerd Goggle after 2 years and not the $6000 Nerd Goggle 3S Pro, what are you a poor?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I guess the CIA has still got it

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

God forbid indigenous groups get too much power. They've had it too good for too long

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
well except that one little oopsie with cortéz

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Maybe not battery degradation, but definitely due to the OS updates being pushed just past the capabilities of the hardware so you need to buy a new one or suffer through consistently horrible performance on basic tasks (no rollbacks!)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

euphronius posted:

did we find out what the cord is plugged into ?

*tugs the buttcord*

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Paradoxish posted:

Americans also have drastically more trust in the system than most will admit. Like the typical person will not accept that their bank is trying to steal their home from them, because that really takes an extreme amount of class consciousness that's been thoroughly beaten out of the average American.

Lots of people will say "gently caress the rich," but it's a much bigger leap to realize that the wealthy are your actual enemies and they are actively stealing from you and don't give a poo poo if you die/become homeless as a result of that theft.
:hai:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Police Officer scowls at you, ready to attack. What would you like your tombstone to say?

Considering how much time I spent in EQ just farming guards, this tracks.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Police Officer scowls at you, ready to attack. What would you like your tombstone to say?

it's time to turn my epitaph into an epithet

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Considering how much time I spent in EQ just farming guards, this tracks.

Thread title

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Real Mean Queen posted:

Pricing aside, it's just totally missing an obvious use. A phone is good because it calls and texts and has a browser, a laptop is a computer that can go places, these things have matured and are seen as essentials now, but even on day one they were obviously useful. This thing is, what? I can watch tv and text on my phone on my couch, but without a tv or a phone? Okay, but I already have those, I can already get very close to the thing being advertised here.

I just don't see what new thing this is supposed to allow me to do, and the look of the thing is so repellant that it really needs a sweet trade off. "You can watch movies on a long flight at a rate of one battery pack per movie" is not it

I would like to know what Apple's long term plan for this is. To be fair to them, it looks like this is the best thought-out implementation and probably the least taxing from an ergonomic/eye-strain point of view, but I don't see a massive hankering in consumers for this. Maybe there's some super-long term market share masterplan going on...

I can think of work-related uses for good AR capabilities that this might be able to give, but I don't know if Apple was thinking about that. Apple thinks it's going to sell 900,000 units over the next 12 months (which is a tiny fraction of its sales expectations for every other kind of device it sells), but I'm skeptical that it'll even go there.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ready Buyer Dumb

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Hubbert posted:

*tugs the buttcord*

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

net work error posted:

Ready Buyer Dumb

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
If someone could create a device that attaches comfortably to a pair of eyeglasses, I'd be all over it. This...this is an expensive toy that will not be widely adopted.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Xaris posted:

cant remember if this was posted already but another big crack in commercial real estate popped. the REIT who owned Hilton San Francisco and Parc 55 just walked away from close to a billion dollars

https://sfist.com/2023/06/05/owner-of-sfs-largest-hotel-the-hilton-union-square-is-walking-away-surrendering-it-to-lender/

lol i missed this yesterday but as someone who used to support various Park Hotels, gently caress them get hosed eat poo poo and die park

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol i missed this yesterday but as someone who used to support various Park Hotels, gently caress them get hosed eat poo poo and die park

aren’t they like 999$ a night, how did you afford that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

webcams for christ posted:

yeah BTC will always be worth more than $0.01 as long as the internet exists (or even a private network capable of running / maintaining the ledger).

it has genuine utility for crime which is also not going away

Hopefully the ways to convert real money to bitcoin will be cut off so it’s harder to get people to pay ransomware with it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Xaris posted:

cant remember if this was posted already but another big crack in commercial real estate popped. the REIT who owned Hilton San Francisco and Parc 55 just walked away from close to a billion dollars

https://sfist.com/2023/06/05/owner-of-sfs-largest-hotel-the-hilton-union-square-is-walking-away-surrendering-it-to-lender/

the comments on this are abyssmal lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at this headline framing
https://twitter.com/FTMarkets/status/1666144951095160834?t=8QjaizaA9KNodeeRhmHdXA&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shocking that the sec did something

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

correct. it also helps Americans unilaterally all hate their neighbors and alienated from the dreaded evil masses who just want to do things to annoy you, the homeowner, personally

see also nextdoor

Americans hate government so much they invented a 4th layer of government to take away peoples houses if they something to it that they do not personally approve of.

The homeowner owns literally all that he sees, land deed irrelevant. The public street and easement is theirs if it’s even sort of close to their plot.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Hopefully the ways to convert real money to bitcoin will be cut off so it’s harder to get people to pay ransomware with it.

there’s a school of thought that soon after bitcoin was invented, one of the “suspected” statoshi guys had a meeting with the NSA and they determined that it might facilitate covert ops, so now the cats out of the bag there will always be a “bitcoin” lurking in the shadows somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would like to know what Apple's long term plan for this is.

i assume it is the same as everyone else. the cell phone revolutionized making money via computers and everyone wants in on the ground floor of whatever is next. they think it is ubiquitous computing via glasses or whatever, but the hardware isn't there so everyone is gold rushing on getting something out there to define the next gen even if its just a placeholder. if you can build the techstack and get a monopoly with mixed reality goggles, you can define all the user interactions, own the software store, etc, moving forward. at some point, the device naturally shrinks to a pair of inoffensive glasses but you've got to do something first

of course, all the internal communications side steps whats really going on at a place like facebook and i assume apple. all that data is very valuable to the government and other powerful players, so you get to use them as leverage to defend your position of king of the hill if you can be the sole source of the best data on the masses