Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Oldsmobile posted:

Ikr, I saw a tweet saying something like "now why would Russia blow this dam up, doesn't make sense" (obviously implying it was Ukraine) and like have you not been paying attention to the last year-and-a-half?! Liek why would Russia do any of this poo poo, it doesn't make sense YET HERE WE loving ARE

Those of the tankie persuasion (along with the appeasers like Macron) will die before admitting they were wrong about anything related to this whatsoever, you can already see them doubling and tripling down throughout the war and when Ukraine finally wins, you're going to see an event horizon of crack-pings as their brains split asunder from the strain of maintaining willful cognitive dissonance in the face of unyielding reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
russophiles inhaling purestrain TASS and RIA Novosti while demanding people post "real sources" with "real news", such as Rybar and Rossiya-1 because of a deadly allergy to facts not presented by propagandist windsuckers

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The russian defense was going so well the soldiers stationed at the dam took a well deserved smoke break.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

pro starcraft loser posted:

Holy poo poo, the separatists are still in Russia??

They have been playing along the border since the first incursion. That is, if anything threatening shows up, they withdraw to Ukraine, displace by 50 km alongside the border and go back to Russia.

The purpose is fairly transparently to try to goad Russia into actually manning the border.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone seen any evidence corroborating that the dam was blown up today? I know everyone and their grandmother claims it as fact but in a war where everything is filmed I'm surprised by the lack of moving pictures.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Potrzebie posted:

Has anyone seen any evidence corroborating that the dam was blown up today? I know everyone and their grandmother claims it as fact but in a war where everything is filmed I'm surprised by the lack of moving pictures.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Potrzebie posted:

I mean of course its speculation. It apparently happened over the course of a few days starting with some road damage then progressing to a full collapse. It does look very orchestrated though, like they tried to sever the roads on the dam without effecting the structure then realized that they couldn't.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Here are some verified ways to help those affected by the catastrophic floods:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/142j9uc/verified_ways_to_help_those_affected_by_the/

Also, the RVC and FDL bagged a Russian colonel that was in charge of stopping their incursion into Belgorod so I guess he sucked at his job, also he murdered a bunch of Ukrainian civilians:

e: removed link due to missed thumbnail of a corpse further down the page, my bad!

quote:

The Russian Volunteer Corps and the Freedom of Russia Legion said that a colonel of the Russian Armed Forces, Andrey Stesev, was killed on the territory of Belgorod Oblast.

Source: announcements of the Russian Volunteer Corps, Freedom of Russia Legion

Quote: "During a joint operation of the Russian Volunteer Corps and Freedom of Russia Legion forces on the territory of Belgorod Oblast, Colonel Andrey Vasilyevich Stesev, a serviceman of the Russian Armed Forces of the Guard, was killed."

Details: Freedom of Russia Legion stated that "a joint group of the Freedom of Russia Legion and the Russian Volunteer Corps killed Colonel Andrey Vasilyevich Stesev, a senior of the Belgorod operational group."

Quote: "He died in battle, like an officer with a weapon in his hands, but we must admit that these hands are covered up to the elbows in blood.

On his orders, he and his subordinates had systematically terrorised the population of Belgorod Oblast and violated their rights and freedoms. Earlier, Stesev killed civilians in Chechnya, Yugoslavia, Abkhazia and Ukraine."

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 6, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

there's a special kind of just over the top absurdity you only get from authoritarian power structures and lol this is the cream of that crop

Oldsmobile posted:

Ikr, I saw a tweet saying something like "now why would Russia blow this dam up, doesn't make sense" (obviously implying it was Ukraine) and like have you not been paying attention to the last year-and-a-half?! Liek why would Russia do any of this poo poo, it doesn't make sense YET HERE WE loving ARE

doesn't make sense to get 2000 tanks exploded yet here we are

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's a special kind of just over the top absurdity you only get from authoritarian power structures and lol this is the cream of that crop

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Lol you misunderstand me. I'm very much on board with the dam not being there anymore, and that this allmost certainly is because of Russian fuckery.

It's the "exploded today" that I'm curious about.

This is not a troll, some weird tankie position or other attempt at anything. I just find it strange and slightly disturbing that "explosion today" is accepted as fact.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 6, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Potrzebie posted:

Lol you misunderstand me. I'm very much on board with the dam not being there anymore, and that this allmost certainly is because of Russian fuckery.

This is not a troll, some weird tankie position or other attempt at anything. I just find it strange and slightly disturbing that "explosion today" is accepted as fact.

ohhhh I get you! No videos of the actual explosion have come out as far as I'm aware (or of the dam itself collapsing), all that has been seen so far there has been some screenshots of local telegram conversations in the area at the time it exploded talking about it in their group chats and wondering what happened.

Russia killed all the zoo animals :(

"Dear friends, we have spoken to the management of the Kazkova Dibrova zoo in occupied Nova Kakhovka. They confirmed to us that the zoo was completely flooded and only swans and ducks could escape and save themselves. More than 300 animals lived there."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Potrzebie posted:

Lol you misunderstand me. I'm very much on board with the dam not being there anymore, and that this in all likelihood is because of Russian fuckery.

This is not a troll, some weird tankie position or other attempt at anything. I just find it strange and slightly disturbing that explosion is accepted as fact.

Last night there was a satellite that identified a "fire" right next to the dam, which might correspond to it being blown up, or might just be a fire, or nothing. But no, we don't know it it was blown up or maybe just failed. The russians had hosed with it a bunch and been backing up the water by closing off the flow, while also doing no maintenance. So it's entirely possible they overloaded it and it failed that way.

If failure was accidental the Russians still take the blame (and get mocked for flooding themselves) because they were occupying it.

(Personally I'm betting the russians did it intentionally in a poorly thought out attempt to stymie the ukrainian big offensive. Ukraine hosed over the russians by opening levees and flooding areas in the russian invasion, and got lots of kudos for smart thinking. Seems like the exact sort of big-brain russian idea to do the same thing, but much dumber.)

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Information on the BBC shows satellite photos of damage to the road on the 2nd June, it may have been an attempt to prevent the Ukrainians from using the road and the Russians either goofed and hosed up the dam enough to cause it to later collapse by accident or it was a separate attack and a deliberate act.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65818705

Of course being Russia my money is on deliberate.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Not content with just war criming humans, Russia also war crimes other species

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

deported to Canada posted:

Information on the BBC shows satellite photos of damage to the road on the 2nd June, it may have been an attempt to prevent the Ukrainians from using the road and the Russians either goofed and hosed up the dam enough to cause it to later collapse by accident or it was a separate attack and a deliberate act.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65818705

Of course being Russia my money is on deliberate.

In the retreat from Kherson last year Russian forces blew up an access road to the dam (which is the source of a common video going around right now purporting to be the more recent explosion) and then they never bothered repairing or maintaining the dam, while allowing it to fill to 17.8 meters of water and even if it hadn't been exploded, it would've failed from the water overage caused by not opening the sluices

Also, finally some updates from Bakhmut direction:

This was reported by Rybar lmao. Ukrainian forces continue to take out the flanks of Bakhmut and have taken the village of Beehivka. When Rybar is forced to acknowledge Ukrainian victories you can assume that the real situation is quite a bit worse for the Russians on the ground. Rybar has a scale of acknowledgement that resembles an exponential curve rather than a linear one. The more he acknowledges Ukrainian victories the worse it is for Russia

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 6, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Scrungus posted:

That is obviously not a tank

Yeah. Also look at its size in comparison to the buildings in the foreground, like Jesus Christ. Tanks are big, but they aren't that big and tall.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

In the retreat from Kherson last year Russian forces blew up an access road to the dam (which is the source of a common video going around right now purporting to be the more recent explosion) and then they never bothered repairing or maintaining the dam, while allowing it to fill to 17.8 meters of water and even if it hadn't been exploded, it would've failed from the water overage caused by not opening the sluices

True, so the collapse of the road on the 2nd June could have been caused by the build-up of water against an already damaged drat, causing it to break last night. Maybe.

Timing is a little too perfect for me to accept that though, with reports of a counter offensive underway etc. Either way it happened, with explosives or closing the sluices it still strikes me as a deliberate act by Russia.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

deported to Canada posted:

True, so the collapse of the road on the 2nd June could have been caused by the build-up of water against an already damaged drat, causing it to break last night. Maybe.

Timing is a little too perfect for me to accept that though, with reports of a counter offensive underway etc. Either way it happened, with explosives or closing the sluices it still strikes me as a deliberate act by Russia.

It was a deliberate act conducted by the Russian 205th Motorized Rifle Brigade

https://kyivindependent.com/official-kakhovka-dam-was-blown-up-by-russias-205th-motorized-rifle-brigade/

Kyiv Independent posted:

The Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant's dam in Kherson Oblast was blown up by Russia's 205th Motorized Rifle Brigade, National Security and Defense Council chief Oleksii Danilov said on June 6, as cited by Ukrainian news outlet Liga.

The brigade members have been stationed at the power plant near Russian-occupied Nova Kakhovka and controlled the facility, Danilov said on national television.

The information on who had blown up the dam was first reported by Mykhailo Podoliak, an advisor to the head of Ukraine's Presidential Office, cited by Ukrainska Pravda publication.

Podoliak added that Russia's destruction of the power plant was an undoubted use of indiscriminate weapons of mass destruction, according to the Geneva Conventions.

Russian forces destroyed the Kakhovka dam on the Dnipro River on the morning of June 6, sparking a large-scale humanitarian and environmental disaster across southern Ukraine.

Built in 1956, the power plant is crucial to Ukraine's energy infrastructure. According to Ukraine's state hydroelectric power company, the damage caused by the breach is "impossible to repair."

Around 16,000 people's homes in Kherson Oblast are reportedly located in "critical risk" zones for flooding. According to Ukraine's Interior Ministry, 885 people have been evacuated from Kherson Oblast as of 11:00 a.m. local time, and the process is ongoing.

The Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant has been occupied by Russian troops since the first days of Moscow's full-scale invasion in February 2022.

According to Ukraine's military intelligence, Russian forces mined the plant twice last year before blowing it up on June 6, 2023.

e: lmao also rybar calling out russians for blowing up a mighty Leopard 2 tractor:

they're so stupid lol

e2: oh right I guess translations would be helpful

Crybar posted:

Many questions immediately arose about the footage published today with the alleged defeat of the Leopard 2 tank. Attentive users have noticed that the destroyed machine is much more similar to the John Deere 4830 combine. And indeed, if you zoom in on the frame, then in the contours of the object you can see something similar to agricultural machinery. Wheels stand out in the outlines and the turret resembles an augur.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 6, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1666136400897486856?s=20 Jesus. If that isn't terrorism, what is?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
wtf they blew up the dam?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

At this point, I think it's mostly projection, but definitely terrorism.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
6 gigawatts of power loss from the hydroelectric and nuclear generation stopping at ZNPP for years if not decades to come. Just an insane amount of power removed from the European grid immediately

e: to add salt on the wound, russia stole the solar power plant as well, disassembled and reassembled it in russia. that's another 50MW gone

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FirstnameLastname posted:

wtf they blew up the dam?

I don't think there's been any other reason to think that Russia won't take the comically/ineptly evil option at every juncture.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Pro-Ukrainian Russian separatists demilitarized a Russian Colonel.

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1666138467770814464?s=20

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

https://twitter.com/KyleJGlen/status/1666088115419881472

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

beer_war posted:

Pro-Ukrainian Russian separatists demilitarized a Russian Colonel.

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1666138467770814464?s=20

Lmao I thought Russia claimed they suppressed this little field trip like a week ago? So much for that.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Why are the Russians so obsessed with saying they took out specifically, Leopard tanks?

Is that supposed to be like "own the Westoids" moment?

They (the regime) are so bizarre, like an entire country whose state religion is toxic masculinity

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 6, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Since they're all about "fighting Nazis" and "Great Patriotic War 2.0", it's not hard to imagine that they're itching to blow up German tanks like it's 1943.

Thing is, they'll almost certainly blow up some Leopards eventually. I guess patience isn't considered a virtue in Russia.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TulliusCicero posted:

They (the regime) are so bizarre, like an entire country whose state religion is toxic masculinity
Modern right-wing parties' ideology is 95% toxic masculinity, and I guess 5% hating taxes

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Why are the Russians so obsessed with saying they took out specifically, Leopard tanks?

even russia isnt brazen enough to try and pass off that theyre vaporizing abrams with t-72s

e: real response is that its russia, leopard 2s are german, and russia has a thing about specifically german tanks fighting russian military (to be fair, so does germany) going back to generational trauma from ww2. almost feels reflexive, when chances to own the germans militarily pop up they get jumped on with both feet in a way that would not (and likely will not) happen with challenger 2s or Abrams. though they may do something similar for when they finally take out an Abrams, that would be too good of a propaganda victory to not run with, but it would have a different feel to it than "german tanks were here in 1942 and now we're fighting german tanks here again in 2023" for the general populace. if you tie that back into the "denazification" angle of the russian invasion you end up at this spot where everything's a leopard 2 that was destroyed, even that tractor, and the brainworms take over from there

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 6, 2023

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

CommieGIR posted:

Lmao I thought Russia claimed they suppressed this little field trip like a week ago? So much for that.

It looks like this colonel was in charge of forces there tasked with protecting the border and got no reinforcements he requested. According to the separatist statement released, he died in combat while surrounded and firing his pistol at them (which the Russian senior officers are issued as a default weapon as they're not supposed to be in close combat). Basically, the Russian command left him to fend for himself there with whatever skeleton crew he had.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 6, 2023

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TulliusCicero posted:

Another aspect of this is propaganda for the Russian soldier on the front. The propagandist hopes the soldier believes their lies and thinks he has a chance vs the "evil nazis" on the other side instead of looking at the posts on telegram about how the other Russians in the trench to the left just ran away and the Russians on the right are fighting for independence of Russia from Russia. It isn't just to make them look stupid on the international stage, they are hoping it also gives the poor conscript the desire to fight instead of run.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao tankie idiots pushing the narrative now that the US actually blew up the dam because neither Ukraine nor Russia benefits from it :allears: love seeing that one filter out from propagandist telegram into the tankiesphere in realtime

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

even russia isnt brazen enough to try and pass off that theyre vaporizing abrams with t-72s

e: real response is that its russia, leopard 2s are german, and russia has a thing about specifically german tanks fighting russian military (to be fair, so does germany) going back to generational trauma from ww2. almost feels reflexive, when chances to own the germans militarily pop up they get jumped on with both feet in a way that would not (and likely will not) happen with challenger 2s or Abrams. though they may do something similar for when they finally take out an Abrams, that would be too good of a propaganda victory to not run with, but it would have a different feel to it than "german tanks were here in 1942 and now we're fighting german tanks here again in 2023" for the general populace. if you tie that back into the "denazification" angle of the russian invasion you end up at this spot where everything's a leopard 2 that was destroyed, even that tractor, and the brainworms take over from there
Abrams aren't in Ukraine yet.

Not that this ever stopped russia before, of course.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao tankie idiots pushing the narrative now that the US actually blew up the dam because neither Ukraine nor Russia benefits from it :allears: love seeing that one filter out from propagandist telegram into the tankiesphere in realtime

Agile Frogs (rana dalmatina) are native to flooded marshlands such as those on the banks of the Dnipro, and the perfidious US calls its underwater sappers "frogmen". coincidence???

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Abrams aren't in Ukraine yet.

Not that this ever stopped russia before, of course.

They already did try to claim a few Abrams were blown up and the evidence photos they provided were from Iraq. In the desert. Sand dunes in the background.

It uh, didn't work. So back to the leopard 2s they went

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dr. Quarex posted:

Modern right-wing parties' ideology is 95% toxic masculinity, and I guess 5% hating taxes

It's been fascinating to watch the west's right wing slowly become more pro-russian over the last decade or so. They've been whining for years that the left has been weakening the military by letting women and gays in, while idolizing Putin/Russia for how strong and manly they are.

Turns out logistics wins wars, not machismo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Seymour Hersh is reporting that the US blew up the dam because Bin Laden was currently believed to be living there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

tiaz posted:

Agile Frogs (rana dalmatina) are native to flooded marshlands such as those on the banks of the Dnipro, and the perfidious US calls its underwater sappers "frogmen". coincidence???

Leaked MI6 teams chat reveals staff referring to French colleagues as frogs - caught red handed!!!