Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ellis brought it up on his Twitter or the proto AMA thread he had in BSS from 15 years ago, when someone asked who had the better groupies. He said something to the effect of 'Neil and I used to make a game of it, he gets more overall but I get more red heads.'
It's not in his BSS thread (which contains plenty of other stuff that ages badly, slurs, 'comedic' incitement of violence, at least one 'joke' rape accusation against a different comics creator) and it looks like he nuked a lot of his Twitter after everything came out about him so it's possible that Ellis was/is not the most serious or reliable question answerer in the world.

And again, I really don't know what timeframe existed where Ellis and Gaiman were ever a) both going to a lot of comicons at the same time or at least b) a period where Gaiman and Ellis were even remotely peers, more like "Neil Gaiman was starting to get really famous in the middle run of Sandman, and Warren Ellis was a college student writing fanzine reviews" which does not feel conducive to having groupie contests with anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I personally gave up on Cinemasins when I discovered Cinemawins, which is the same thing but pointing out everything great - even in films that aren't that good.

Turns out liking things is actually more fun than tearing them apart. So, guess the internet has got that wrong since it started.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My god I thought you were joking

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought Cinemawins was a completely different person

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I personally gave up on Cinemasins when I discovered Cinemawins, which is the same thing but pointing out everything great - even in films that aren't that good.

Turns out liking things is actually more fun than tearing them apart. So, guess the internet has got that wrong since it started.

I love Cinemawins.

Also, the "Everything Wrong With... Everything Wrong With" trend is good, just people taking bad CinemaSins videos apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKun2e8pX5A

This guy is probably the best at it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I can't help but read Cinemasins as Cinemaisins, like it's a food made of shriveled sun-dried film reels.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jun 6, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

I can't help but ready Cinemasins as Cinemaisins, like it's a food made of shriveled sun-dried film reels.

Costs $27 at the concession

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Thank you. The older I get, the more I find this to be true.

We're moving house at the moment, and while cleaning up the bookshelves I came across a few "The Nitpicker's Guide to Star Trek" books. Talk about aging badly... They're occasionally amusing, but most of the content is pure nerd-whining of the worst "I hope someone got fired for this" variety. I don't know why I devoured those books in my twenties - I find I just don't have time for that kind of negativity anymore (he said, actually taking the time to post about his negative view of the books)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of that kind of criticism seems to have gone well out of fashion too, I think especially since once someone points out how dumb and disingenuous it is it's probably a lot harder to enjoy once you see it. Even a lot more critical videos talking about famous flops that I've seen tend to be more examinations and point out what worked and what they were going for as well as what was a bad idea.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Turns out that nitpicking as a critique was less important than critiquing stories, especially in lieu of some absolute rotters that have come out.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Aces High posted:

I thought Cinemawins was a completely different person

Cinemawins is a different person.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

Thank you. The older I get, the more I find this to be true.

We're moving house at the moment, and while cleaning up the bookshelves I came across a few "The Nitpicker's Guide to Star Trek" books. Talk about aging badly... They're occasionally amusing, but most of the content is pure nerd-whining of the worst "I hope someone got fired for this" variety. I don't know why I devoured those books in my twenties - I find I just don't have time for that kind of negativity anymore (he said, actually taking the time to post about his negative view of the books)

It can be fun to notice weird or nonsensical things about stuff you like, but only if it’s part of the charm of the stuff you like. Like I enjoy 70s Dr Who, and part of what I like about it is seeing all the creative ways they use the same quarry and reservoir as a bunch of different locations, or how they’ve made up an office chair with a bunch of foam and cardboard to be a futuristic hover-chair.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I AM GRANDO posted:

It can be fun to notice weird or nonsensical things about stuff you like, but only if it’s part of the charm of the stuff you like. Like I enjoy 70s Dr Who, and part of what I like about it is seeing all the creative ways they use the same quarry and reservoir as a bunch of different locations, or how they’ve made up an office chair with a bunch of foam and cardboard to be a futuristic hover-chair.

Choose your fighter:

CinemaSins: This show is utter garbage because they've tried to convince us the Vancouver skyline is Neew York for the 375th time. WHERE'S THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING? CINEMAFAIL!! *ding*

CinemaWins: Here, we see Vancouver as a budget stand-in for New York again. You can spot the top of Harbour Center, a distinguishing landmark. See how many times you can spot it in other shows! WIN!

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
I had the nitpicker's guide for X-Philes (ugh) and I remember how in an early episode, Scully said it was often good to remove the cranium at the start of an autopsy. So every time she did an autopsy in every episode after the guy would nitpick "why didn't she start by removing the cranium??"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dave Syndrome posted:

We're moving house at the moment, and while cleaning up the bookshelves I came across a few "The Nitpicker's Guide to Star Trek" books. Talk about aging badly... They're occasionally amusing, but most of the content is pure nerd-whining of the worst "I hope someone got fired for this" variety.

Nothing sets off a particular brand of soul-searching like realizing there was a point in your life when you were the kind of child whose parents thought you would like "The Nitpicker's Guide To Star Trek", and at the time they were right. :chloe:

I make no apologies for getting into the Enterprise technical manual, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
CinemaSins sounded like a thing I'd love. I like nitpicking poo poo. But it's so loving up its own rear end, it sounds like someone doing a parody of an insufferable YouTube schtick, except it's just genuinely what it is. I hate it.

I haven't seen CinemaWins, maybe that's what I've been looking for!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Even if CinemaWins was the exact photonegative of Sins, with nitpicking the tiniest minutia and including the annoying AF ding noise it would still be better just for the lack of overbearing negativity. But it actually goes a lot more in depth on its opinions and seems to have a better understanding of film in general, so it's worth checking out on its own merits

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
CinemaSins isn't just nitpicking, which would be bad in and of itself but yeah, it's actively and objectively wrong a lot of time. Like it's extremely stupid, not merely pedantic. In fact, it's more stupid than it is nitpicky.

Like it's not a thing for nitpickers. It's a thing for idiots.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The best parts are when a sin is given for plot reasons (usually things like "hey, why didn't character do x? *ding*" and then x will happen and crickets, or another sin will be given for it not happening sooner). I think I've only watched 2 or 3 videos all the way through because the last one I watched was for Mad Max: Fury Road, and there were several sins given just for the opening alone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

CinemaSins isn't just nitpicking, which would be bad in and of itself but yeah, it's actively and objectively wrong a lot of time. Like it's extremely stupid, not merely pedantic. In fact, it's more stupid than it is nitpicky.

Yeah I watched one of those videos criticizing them and it was obvious that they either don't pay attention to the movie or they'll ding something just because it isn't explained right then and there.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
You guys really need to check out the Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer prerendered cutscenes

https://youtu.be/-WDIarxLwXM

Art

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

verbal enema posted:

You guys really need to check out the Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer prerendered cutscenes

https://youtu.be/-WDIarxLwXM

Art

Super fun game, and I lost it at the secret Grover House level. It's like a NuMetal time portal and despite being a little short I think it's well worth the price.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wouldn't be surprised if whoever makes CinemaSins is absolutely over it after a decade of producing them over and over and over but they're pretty much stuck doing it for an income which sounds like a special kind of hell. Then again I guess they can afford to pay some kid minimum wage to actually watch the movies and write the list of 'sins' and edit together the clips and then they come in at the end to just do the voiceover.

There was a tabletop terrain crafting channel I used to watch years ago and suddenly one day the guy posted a video going "Sorry everyone but I won't be making any more terrain crafting videos and I'm ending this channel. Don't worry there's no problem and I'm not being forced to stop for some reason, it's just that I actually hate making tabletop terrain and I never really meant to make a channel specializing in that but those videos got the most clicks and I just got stuck making them these last few years. WELL, BYE"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

I AM GRANDO posted:

It can be fun to notice weird or nonsensical things about stuff you like, but only if it’s part of the charm of the stuff you like.

Exactly. The stormtrooper banging his head? Parsecs being a unit of length rather than time? IG-88's head made out of a jet engine part? Obi-Wan's fake beard in the Kamino scene? Oola's wardrobe malfunction? Give me all of that poo poo, I love it to death.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't watched CinemaSins before, but it sounds a lot like Gametheory's tendency to nitpick the most minute details to support his theory while ignoring everything that contradicts it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

geeko55 posted:

Super fun game, and I lost it at the secret Grover House level. It's like a NuMetal time portal and despite being a little short I think it's well worth the price.

I am just on the wrong side of 35 to be nostalgic for this, it is like a litmus test for if you remember Linkin Park as the soundtrack of your adolescence or you remember sneering on the internet about :smug: mallcore :smug:

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

I am just on the wrong side of 35 to be nostalgic for this, it is like a litmus test for if you remember Linkin Park as the soundtrack of your adolescence or you remember sneering on the internet about :smug: mallcore :smug:

To be fair, I'm also a few years younger then the folks most likely to be nostalglic for the era it's evoking, but it had such an accurate portrayal of a cheap Midwest carnival that I was brought back immediately to the ones my old school would put on, and to date it's the only game I can think of with funnel cake in it. I think it's very bold to set a game in a fly-over state, and it really speaks to how any sort of location can be interesting in a game with enough care and attention to detail.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Even if CinemaWins was the exact photonegative of Sins, with nitpicking the tiniest minutia and including the annoying AF ding noise it would still be better just for the lack of overbearing negativity. But it actually goes a lot more in depth on its opinions and seems to have a better understanding of film in general, so it's worth checking out on its own merits

This is why I still watch CinemaWins. He generally spends the last 3rd of his videos exploring the themes of the movie and how they resonated with him.

And he does sometimes provide critiques in the form of "negative wins", usually as a joke, but sometimes semi-seriously.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Randalor posted:

I haven't watched CinemaSins before, but it sounds a lot like Gametheory's tendency to nitpick the most minute details to support his theory while ignoring everything that contradicts it.

Cinemasins is arguably worse because it's lazier and you never get the sense they enjoy watching movies or making vids.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if whoever makes CinemaSins is absolutely over it after a decade of producing them over and over and over but they're pretty much stuck doing it for an income which sounds like a special kind of hell. Then again I guess they can afford to pay some kid minimum wage to actually watch the movies and write the list of 'sins' and edit together the clips and then they come in at the end to just do the voiceover.

There was a tabletop terrain crafting channel I used to watch years ago and suddenly one day the guy posted a video going "Sorry everyone but I won't be making any more terrain crafting videos and I'm ending this channel. Don't worry there's no problem and I'm not being forced to stop for some reason, it's just that I actually hate making tabletop terrain and I never really meant to make a channel specializing in that but those videos got the most clicks and I just got stuck making them these last few years. WELL, BYE"

Geek Gaming Scenics per chance? I just caught up to that video today. I can understand that, when you take your hobby, turn it into a living and need to create, shoot and edit weekly videos it can burn you out and make you start to dislike what you once enjoyed.
Depending on the subject could be easy to run out of new content to report on so you end up just doing the same popular stuff, which might just happen to be large scale projects than something quick and easy to put out and talk about.

With CinemaSins, I'd definitely concur with what people are saying. They put out 8-10, mostly 20 minute videos a month and it shows that they need to rely on the same jokes and make errors due to not really watching the movie (unless that's for viewer engagement in the comments?).
It must take quite of mental stamina to cut up a movie into 100-150 sins with clips and a script to talk about each one while trying to inject humour into them.
I only watch 1 or 2 of their videos a month and it's probably a burnout from the amount and length of them that I dont more frequently.
I expect a lot of others have the same feeling so while they get less viewers per video, they still have a large monthly amount of plays in total.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slavik posted:

Geek Gaming Scenics per chance?

Naw it was some other guy who legit didn't enjoy making terrain, Luke obviously loves it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They earn something like 30k a month if they’re pulling in ten million views, so they can definitely do just that. Once you’ve reached a certain level of success you might as well delegate everything, do the bare minimum, and keep pulling in those fat stacks no matter how cringey or outdated your content is so long as it’s still pulling in views

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s disneys plan

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

There's a really good video that breaks down how CinemaSins is the most souless, vacuous content imaginable, run by two guys who repeatedly tried similar before always in an attempt to game the content algorithm. They hit on a success and then tried to mine it as aggressively as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEAsGoP-5I

The lead dude, the voice over guy, also want's to be Schrodinger's Film critic, when he's completely wrong about stuff is a comedy bit, otherwise he's a Very Serious Film guy.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Earlier videos were 5-10 minutes long too, which meant more focus on the biggest mistakes in a movie with more well known stuff. When they got to 30 minutes long, that’s when they started to get padded out with “why isn’t this bitch giving me a lap dance” or “why isn’t this person kneecapping their friends to get away” type stuff.
Along with having to do the movie that just came out so it’ll get the most attention, even if there’s not much to point out.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Stonehouse Beach posted:

I had the nitpicker's guide for X-Philes (ugh) and I remember how in an early episode, Scully said it was often good to remove the cranium at the start of an autopsy. So every time she did an autopsy in every episode after the guy would nitpick "why didn't she start by removing the cranium??"

gently caress I think I owned this book too. The thing I remember most vividly is the author randomly bringing up their Christian beliefs at, like, the very end of the book, and I was just like “what the gently caress does Jesus have to do with the X Files” :confused:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

shelley posted:

gently caress I think I owned this book too. The thing I remember most vividly is the author randomly bringing up their Christian beliefs at, like, the very end of the book, and I was just like “what the gently caress does Jesus have to do with the X Files” :confused:

I had the nitpicker's TNG book and there was one episode where Picard talks about humanity having outgrown primitive religious beliefs; the response was basically 'well most people believe in God so this is clearly wrong'.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

shelley posted:

If it's a Scully-focused episode? Quite a bit usually

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mulder: “Scully, what the gently caress does Jesus have to do with the X Files?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly surprised we never got a "Jesus was a half-alien hybrid" storyline out of x-files.

Guess they didn't want to go into the God Told Me To territory.