Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Lib and let die posted:

LETTUCE DOESN'T GO ON PIE

Arugula holds up well on pizza. Taco pizzas have Iceberg added post-cooking and it's good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

Arugula holds up well on pizza. Taco pizzas have Iceberg added post-cooking and it's good?

No.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

You should order a taco pizza for dinner tonight. Get the lettuce and tomato on the side as well as the sour cream and salsa if they offer those. The wet stuff. The onion is fine staying on for cooking. Assemble only what you plan to eat when you plan to eat it so the lettuce doesn't get limp and gross and make the crust soggy. There is nothing wrong with lettuce on tacos and if you fold a pizza in half it becomes a taco so....

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

if you fold a pizza in half it becomes a taco

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

you will be delighted to know that pet food testers can make upwards to 10k a year

Lib and let die posted:

gonna have to argue that arugula is taxonomically not a lettuce, but rather a dainty leaf vegetable, so while you're correct that lettuce doesn't hold well on pizza, arugula does

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

cash crab posted:

gonna have to argue that arugula is taxonomically not a lettuce, but rather a dainty leaf vegetable, so while you're correct that lettuce doesn't hold well on pizza, arugula does

Thank you for saving me the ten min in crafting that post

I’d never put iceberg lettuce on pizza

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

cash crab posted:

you will be delighted to know that pet food testers can make upwards to 10k a year

nope, it's lettuce.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I've had romaine on a chicken caesar salad pizza and it was good. Not cooked romaine, obviously

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

maybealabia posted:

I've had romaine on a chicken caesar salad pizza and it was good. Not cooked romaine, obviously

I put romaine in my soup. It's tastier and cheaper than 'scarole

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

teen witch posted:

Iceberg only works on taco and cheeseburger pizzas and only if you add it right before you eat the pizza.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lib and let die posted:

My breakfast pizza thinks you're a dumbass

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sinners, each and every one of you. :colbert:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

sinners, each and every one of you. :colbert:

good

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

teen witch posted:

How about in a pizza? It’s the best way to trick yourself into thinking it’s healthy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Lib and let die posted:

nope, it's lettuce.

do you believe that all leafy vegetable matter is lettuce

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Creature posted:

How about in a pizza? It’s the best way to trick yourself into thinking it’s healthy.

high crimes and treason

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In the 90s I tried a vegetarian pizza that had spinach and slices of potato. It was okay.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Creature posted:

I feel like that thing just made a really sleazy joke and is waiting for me to react.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

It somehow looks both high and low effort at the same time.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

cash crab posted:

no. oregano, basil, etc are herbs

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

cash crab posted:

I could get behind "all brassicas are lettuce"

Broccoli is a type of lettuce. Turnip is a type of lettuce. Canola oil is made from lettuce.

Actual lettuces are from a completely different Order, of course, but nevermind that.

Lib and let die posted:

no. oregano, basil, etc are herbs
Hilariously, oregano and basil actually are in the same Order as lettuces, i.e. they are more closely-related to lettuce than arugula is.

stringless has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Jun 6, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Rocket (arugula?) is the worst. Almost inedibly bitter.

One of the best pizzas I've ever made was one we made the night before what turned into a 24-hour journey, we rolled it up into a tube with salad in the middle, threw it into a big ziplock bag and ended up eating it in a train station somewhere in france. Amazingly good.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I got Taco Pizza for dinner. Thin crispy crust, ground sausage, taco seasoning, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and salsa. Delicious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

I got Taco Pizza for dinner. Thin crispy crust, ground sausage, taco seasoning, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and salsa. Delicious.

Look at those huge loving tomatoes and hunks of lettuce. I'm sure it tasted good but goddamn

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I got some homegrown thread content too, also taco related. I got some from a new-ish Mexican place I was pretty excited to try, and not only did they have lame toppings, they were the blandest tacos I've had in my life. Seriously, look at that meat:

That chicken hasn't even seen a single spice in its life. I tasted it on its own, and it didn't even have any real saltiness, much less anything else. Definitely not giving this place a second try, there's plenty of good Mexican places here whose basic tacos actually have seasoning and real toppings.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Captain Toasted posted:

Look at those huge loving tomatoes and hunks of lettuce. I'm sure it tasted good but goddamn

You use a fork to pile toppings back on the slices as you eat them and to eat the small salad you have leftover. They can obviously be made much better but the place I got it from has great crust and sausage and is cheap so.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Nettle Soup posted:

Rocket (arugula?) is the worst. Almost inedibly bitter.
Bitter? I'd describe it as a peppery flavor, not really bitter. (at least raw, I've never had it cooked. It's way better than lettuce on a sandwich, but most things are.)

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got some homegrown thread content too, also taco related. I got some from a new-ish Mexican place I was pretty excited to try, and not only did they have lame toppings, they were the blandest tacos I've had in my life. Seriously, look at that meat:

That chicken hasn't even seen a single spice in its life. I tasted it on its own, and it didn't even have any real saltiness, much less anything else. Definitely not giving this place a second try, there's plenty of good Mexican places here whose basic tacos actually have seasoning and real toppings.
But you got shredded iceberg lettuce and some tomato! It's a flavor bonanza!*

*for someone who stepped out of a time portal from 1970 and is used to dishes seasoned with 1/4 tsp salt and maybe 1/8 tsp pepper for the entire meal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haifisch posted:

*for someone who stepped out of a time portal from 1970 and is used to dishes seasoned with 1/4 tsp salt and maybe 1/8 tsp pepper for the entire meal.

Lol yes, it would be good 50-year-old recipe card material. "Cooking tip: measure spices over a separate bowl, so you may discard even a single grain of extra seasoning"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Eww, reminds me of a place I stopped at randomly in Mississippi, just vile bland food.

On the topic of pizza, can anyone identify what was on this pizza I just ate? The center is Burrata, and I'm pretty sure that's spicy Capicola as the meat, I have no idea what anything else is. Salty/savory, sweet, and spicy are the flavors, in order of dominance.

capncthulhu
Oct 4, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Eww, reminds me of a place I stopped at randomly in Mississippi, just vile bland food.

On the topic of pizza, can anyone identify what was on this pizza I just ate? The center is Burrata, and I'm pretty sure that's spicy Capicola as the meat, I have no idea what anything else is. Salty/savory, sweet, and spicy are the flavors, in order of dominance.

Figs perhaps?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Lib and let die starting the Pizza Imperium 'cause he put rules down.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

capncthulhu posted:

Figs perhaps?

I think it might be strawberry/fig jam with lots of spicy red pepper, it's definitely a jam of some sort.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arugula is nice and peppery and belongs on many things, not just pizzas.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I’m pretty sure that’s prosciutto. That would make it the classic prosciutto and figs combo. I don’t see capicola there, capicola is neck meat, that is a cut from the ham.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Apparently it might be a gene thing?

It could also just be that I've never had the good stuff, but every time I've tried it I haven't liked it, and I'm mostly vegan so I'm not generally fussy in that way!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You can try the experiment described in the article: Growing two samples of the same breed of rocket you could accurately taste the difference between the delicate and the spicy versions and decide if it's truly a lost cause for you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/q6zHyuo.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

MINE EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY. THE GLORY OF BREAD.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nettle Soup posted:

Apparently it might be a gene thing?

It could also just be that I've never had the good stuff, but every time I've tried it I haven't liked it, and I'm mostly vegan so I'm not generally fussy in that way!

"A previous study of rocket showed that people’s genetic differences are not necessarily an indicator of whether they will like something. It’s perfectly possible to be a bitter “supertaster” and like rocket and Brussels sprouts depending on your upbringing and exposure to them."

As with the coriander thing it's much more down to exposure and upbringing rather than having these genes or not. I thought we already made fun of the whole 'supertaster' thing on these forums ages ago because of goons who latched onto it as an excuse for why they only ate bland fatty diets full of processed poo poo? (Not suggesting that you're like that).

Anecdotally, I spend my summers volunteering in a Turkish hotel/campground working in the kitchen, and the breakfast buffet every day has piles of huge fresh rocket leaves, which are incredibly bitter and peppery given how much sun they get, and I loving love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm a rocket man