Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

double nine posted:

probably a really stupid question but - I pre-ordered System shock remak through GOG, and I can't get it to run on the deck.
I used Heroic installer, but it demands c++ be installed after launching the game which can't be right.

I’m not in front of my deck but dig into the launcher settings for that specific game and look for ‘winetricks’ which will give you a list of windows components you can install just for running that game

Go to steamdb.info and look up system shock, then click on depots and it’ll tell you all the poo poo steam would install along with the game to make it run on windows

Ignore the directx stuff and look specifically for the .net *whateveversion* and the vc*whateveryear* entries, those are the ones you need to add through winetricks

Then try running the game again

It adds them to the prefix for just that game so if you get another game that needs the same poo poo you have to do it again or there’s probably some turbonerd hoops you could jump through to make a big shared one that I can’t be hosed with so don’t know about, but that’s the price you pay for not just buying stuff on steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Lutris installs everything for you. Heroic isn't very good, but looks better.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lutris doesn’t always co-operate either in my experience but the same winetricks thing works there too fwiw so :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Found Lutris to be way better than heroic

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’s definitely better

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Edit: I'm not on the right track here. I guess appending to fstab messes up booting. I'm not sure if it's a last-argument issue or something else. I'll try it in the middle of fstab instead.

Spoiling the whole thing until it's complete

A note on external USB-connected drives:

-Use ext4
-Your drive won't be as nice and easy to interact with as your SD cards. Use
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /run/media/deck/drivename
-this will be persistent across desktop sessions, but it's probably better to add it to fstab. This will always mount it at the OS level rather than the DE level.
mkdir /run/media/foldername
echo "UUID=your-UUID /run/media/foldername ext4 defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

I put it in /run/media/bar to prevent possibility of conflict with /run/media/deck which is KDE's auto mount place.
Replace your-UUID with the UUID of your partition (which you can find with sudo blkid)

Steam > settings > downloads > add folder > navigate to /run/media/foldername

The steam input dropping mystery:

[Child 9456, Main Thread] WARNING: JSWindowActorChild::SendRawMessage (Conduits, ConduitClosed) not sent: !CanSend() || !mManager || !mManager->CanSend(>
This shows that parent and children processes are having trouble talking / with IPC.

Adding ctrl-c as copy to KDE's hotkey manager is next, but I have a feeling if it's bypassing X11 input it'll bypass that as well. Whether or not that fixes Ctrl-C to reboot doesn't matter; the problem is the Deck dropping all inputs except kernel inputs. Or priority is hosed or priority override is hosed.[

Mescal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 5, 2023

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m not in front of my deck but dig into the launcher settings for that specific game and look for ‘winetricks’ which will give you a list of windows components you can install just for running that game

I know I've used "protontricks" before for fixing up some game. I don't remember why I landed there instead of winetricks (maybe better Steam integration?), but I guess just FYI it's out there as an option. Available as a Flatpack from the discovery app store.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Protontricks uses winetricks, its just a wrapper that lets you use winetricks commands by Steam app ID instead of needing to find the wine prefix yourself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dumb tech side question: I'm trying to get a couple of VPN plugins installed and I can't figure out how to get a SSTP connection working. Installing the L2TP plugin for networkmanager was easy but the only sstp plugin I see is for network-manager and I guess this is different because when I set up the SSTP connection it says I'm still missing a plugin.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Looks to me like a naming inconsistency within arch packaging. There's "networkmanager-l2tp", but the sstp package is named "network-manager-sstp" instead (probably because Upstream named it that way. Sigh.)

Anyway, it seems to a little ghetto, though both the nm plugin and the sstp client are being worked on. Make sure sstp-client is installed. And consider if there are alternative protocols you can use. Implementations of proprietary VPN protocols are often brittle.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Mescal posted:

Edit: I'm not on the right track here. I guess appending to fstab messes up booting. I'm not sure if it's a last-argument issue or something else. I'll try it in the middle of fstab instead.

I can't even work out what you're trying to achieve

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

I can't even work out what you're trying to achieve

Forget about it. I was trying to revert fstab from outside SteamOS. I had trouble mounting the drive as writeable from a live OS disk to edit it, but no matter. Thats why we do backups. I flashed it.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 6, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Did you make it mount nofail? By default it will panic if it can't mount something in your fstab.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Did you make it mount nofail? By default it will panic if it can't mount something in your fstab.

Never heard of it. Thanks for the tip!

Mescal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 6, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

sorry

Mescal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 6, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You seem like you could really use a journal

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is anyone else completely unable to change their controller layout for desktop mode? On both PC and Deck I can view the current layout and edit the layout manually, but if I attempt to browse for different layouts it just shows a loading screen, like it isn't able to connect to the servers.

Unfortunately the Deck has defaulted to my GTA V desktop layout (as I bought it outside of Steam way back before per-game controller layouts were really a thing and it apparently decided I wanted to default to it on Deck), so desktop mode is completely unusable for me, and while I can probably get a keyboard and mouse connected I need this working on the go as well.

E: Not just for desktop mode, I can't browse controller layouts for any game, Steam or otherwise, on any device on any internet connection. Is it just busted?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 6, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Editing fstab incorrectly will either make the thing not boot or make it take several minutes to boot, depending on how you edited it incorrectly.

When I posted my fstab setup ITT here with how I auto mount an SMB share, it was pointed out that I did it in the "boot now takes several minutes" way.

lordfrikk posted:

Putting Samba shares to your /etc/fstab will make the Deck hang on boot if the shares are unavailable for whatever reason. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab#External_devices for more info.

Not sure if it's related to what you are going through but that wiki page helped me figure it out.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 6, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone successfully running (and actually playing) Daggerfall Unity on this? I'm sure I could finagle it to work through Steam's game mode (in fact, I think there's a video out there showing how to get it running even under the official release on Steam, but you'd actually play the Unity version), but I've never played the game with controller before.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone successfully running (and actually playing) Daggerfall Unity on this? I'm sure I could finagle it to work through Steam's game mode (in fact, I think there's a video out there showing how to get it running even under the official release on Steam, but you'd actually play the Unity version), but I've never played the game with controller before.

Yeah no problem. Like every other game. Daggerfall controls are super basic.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

Never heard of it. Thanks for the tip!

FYI:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Persistent_block_device_naming

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/fstab
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:SwifT/Complete_Handbook/Configuring_the_system#File_system_information

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

shitton of options there that might help out

Its interesting that IPC is failing, hm

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

njsykora posted:

Nope, it's basically just the Plex app for using on TVs. Same as you'd get on a smart TV or console instead of the browser interface. I don't have a Plex Pass and use it just fine.

Thank you so much for this omfg the experience is SO GOOD

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Foul Fowl posted:

does it work well on deck? is it a huge pain in the rear end to set up with the blizzard launcher?

It works way better than in beta, they clearly put some dedicated resources into proton bug fixes and good defaults. It looks amazing too!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Has anyone tried the star wars game after the updates? Same q for TLoU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

post ur daggerfall unity install guided and controller strats 💋

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

does it work well on deck? is it a huge pain in the rear end to set up with the blizzard launcher?

This guy has what seem to be the best settings for 40fps

https://youtu.be/j1jNbeM4Dlg

I would also like the daggerfall stuff. I tried it when the deck launched but I couldn’t seem to get it to see the controls properly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beastie posted:

You seem like you could really use a journal

That's what this thread is, apparently.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It’s interesting to me. Like watching an AI explain how to configure a Linux computer

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Foul Fowl posted:

https://youtu.be/zxet_LLQIwE

I followed this guy's guide and got battle.net working and d4 installed in about 2 hrs including the download time.

The only thing he missed that the thread said was to not download the high resolution pack. Otherwise it was VERY straightforward.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah don’t bother with the high Rex textures.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Love the 2 hour installation process for a game on my Steam Deck. This is kinda an insane amount of time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Love the 2 hour installation process for a game on my Steam Deck. This is kinda an insane amount of time.

“Including the download time”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can you do the console couch co-op for Diablo 4 on the steam deck using a dock and two controllers?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

History Comes Inside! posted:

“Including the download time”

Yeah, I'd say it took an hour or less but that wasnt focused work and I'm not a computer genius. It was not difficult or overly time consuming. Come to think of it, some of that hour was moving stuff from the ssd to the microusb which was just sitting and waiting.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can you do the console couch co-op for Diablo 4 on the steam deck using a dock and two controllers?

No, couch coop is only console.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Harminoff posted:

gently caress it, buy a second steam deck

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Harminoff posted:

Lame. What, two bros can't share one monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

It took like 30 min and that was all downloading.

Also I’m not even sure you need to use FSR on D4. I’m only an hour in and it’s stayed at a locked 40 with no issues so far.