Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Worse, he says that cars are freely moving on the street

If a car floats majestically down the street does it count as moving? In this new boat state It can even go where other cars can't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

cr0y posted:

Oh my God this can't be real

Why do people keep saying this?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"Local Residents" are unfortunately insanely bad at identifying what sounds are. 'Blasts' could easily just be the catastrophic but unintentional collapse of the drat.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

A.o.D. posted:

Why do people keep saying this?

Cognitive dissonance between the stupidity being exhibited combined with "never underestimate the enemy".

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Im willing to say it's possible the dam failed on its own, and during the failure, the generator building collapsed. If the generators were running at the time, you'd get... something. Plus the place was probably packed with demolition charges.

So it's somewhat possible the dam just collapsed, and the generators exploded as the structure failed.

So I'm between "just failed" or "Russians pressed button"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

papasyhotcakes posted:

If a car floats majestically down the street does it count as moving? In this new boat state It can even go where other cars can't!

Thrust via wheel rotation

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

"Local Residents" are unfortunately insanely bad at identifying what sounds are. 'Blasts' could easily just be the catastrophic but unintentional collapse of the drat.

Yeah, see also Nextdoor and gunshot reports.

In my personal experience, passengers will vastly overestimate how much a ship is rolling / listing. I’ve had people tell me we were rolling 30 degrees when the clinometer pegged at 2 degrees or so.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think people in Kherson have a pretty good idea of what an explosion sounds like at this point.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yeah anyone who’s ever read the initial witness reports from a mass shooting or any other chaotic event should know that witnesses are unreliable at best.

Not many people have prior experience with the sound of a huge concrete structure breaking apart and being swept away by an immense rush of water waking them up in the middle of the night. I’d imagine it’s pretty loud though!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

In my personal experience, passengers will vastly overestimate how much a ship is rolling / listing. I’ve had people tell me we were rolling 30 degrees when the clinometer pegged at 2 degrees or so.

I've seen a fair angle, not sure exactly what angle but I went from seeing nothing but sea to the sky to the sea and back again, was kinda fun.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FrozenVent posted:

they were correct, but 28% of that was booze :colbert:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The time lapse photos of the roadway washing away in the last few days, and the high water level seem like strong indicators that this really was just a structural collapse resulting from colossal mismanagement and prior damage. Incredible.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The time lapse photos of the roadway washing away in the last few days, and the high water level seem like strong indicators that this really was just a structural collapse resulting from colossal mismanagement and prior damage. Incredible.

Which doesn't really exonerate the Russians, just means that they're dangerously negligent in every area they've occupied and sooner or later their fuckups are going to get even worse. Doesn't this also endanger coolant water for the ZNPP?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Didn't see this posted but apparently a European intelligence agency discovered a plot by Ukraine to blow up the Nordstream prior to it actually blowing up last fall and passed it on to the CIA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/06/nord-stream-pipeline-explosion-ukraine-russia/

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Which doesn't really exonerate the Russians, just means that they're dangerously negligent in every area they've occupied and sooner or later their fuckups are going to get even worse. Doesn't this also endanger coolant water for the ZNPP?

No, the ZNPP should be fine. The plant has been in cold shutdown for months and needs very little water. The river itself is not going away and should be able to supply all they need.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

No, the ZNPP should be fine. The plant has been in cold shutdown for months and needs very little water. The river itself is not going away and should be able to supply all they need.

Minor derail- why do nuclear plants need an endless supply of cold water? Isn't that heat supposed to go towards spinning turbines and then to cooling towers?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

cr0y posted:

Minor derail- why do nuclear plants need an endless supply of cold water? Isn't that heat supposed to go towards spinning turbines and then to cooling towers?

Well, for the ZNPP specifically, the reactors are shut down. No or very little heat is going to generating electricity. However, even a completely shut down reactor has heat generated by the fuel which must be cooled; the fuel ponds at many nuclear plants have the same problem.

In operating plants, you always want surplus heat and not a heat deficit; you can always cool off surplus heat but a heat deficit means you aren't generating enough power.

Edit: It should be noted ZNPP is a closed loop system so it doesnt actually need an endless supply of cold water like an open system would. It does need a large body of water to exchange heat with though. Fortunately, this doesnt look like its gonna be an incredibly urgent problem, as it has its own pond separated by a berm from the reservoir. I don't think that sort of thing works in the long term, but its a lot better in the short term than the alternatives. IANA nuclear scientist.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

cr0y posted:

If I understand correctly, and my knowledge of nuclear physics is very bad, the nuclear fuel is always burning whether we want it to or not. Thus the need for cooling.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Heat is also ill-mannered and loves to go everywhere it can. You can't channel 100% of your generated heat into power production, some of it's always going to end up potentially endangering components or people and needing to be channelled away by coolant, while you need heat for your plant to function, you don't want so much heat parts of your plant are melting.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, if you have a engineering analysis or even a good suspicion that the dam is likely to fail if the water level gets too high and then you let the water level get too high and it collapses then that’s still intended.

Were those loud noises in the middle of the night dam breaking on its own or it being broken also isn’t something you shrug off when the act of it breaking has significant benefits for the team in control of the dam.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh yeah, this is a colossal gently caress up on their part. Not on the same immediate level, but probably comparable to their failure to execute the initial assault on Kyiv properly. They've wrecked the water supply to the crown jewel of the invasions, and god knows how much time and treasure is going to be lost on their side of the river.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I *want* to say Russia wouldn't voluntarily deprive Crimea of a source of water but that's contingent on so many assumptions Russia has been working day in and day out to dispel that I can't in good faith say it's real.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Murgos posted:

Eh, if you have a engineering analysis or even a good suspicion that the dam is likely to fail if the water level gets too high and then you let the water level get too high and it collapses then that’s still intended.

Were those loud noises in the middle of the night dam breaking on its own or it being broken also isn’t something you shrug off when the act of it breaking has significant benefits for the team in control of the dam.

The dam breaching has immeasurable downsides for both parties to the war. By all accounts the Russian front defence line is already gone. Crimea and to a lesser extent Moscow are going to feel this directly. I'm not sure you could reasonably describe anyone as having a significantly meaningful benefit from this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/maxfras/status/1666079339178500100

Someone please tell me this is a mistranslation or in front of a greenscreen or something.

I think we finally found the successor to Baghdad Bob

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cr0y posted:

Cooling towers (the kind typically found in nuclear power plants, at least) do their cooling by evaporating a shitload of water -- that's the steam you see coming off the top. As I understand it, this water usually isn't the actual reactor coolant itself (which is in a closed loop), but a separate open-cycle system that cools the coolant via heat exchangers. And so running out of water to flash to steam would be bad, from a heat-dissipation standpoint.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think we finally found the successor to Baghdad Bob

He needs a catchy name.

Floodwater Fred?

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Here's an image I shamelessly stole from Wikipedia.

TLDR; Decay Heat is roughly 6.5% of whatever your plant was stably running at. So, if your power plant was running 6 reactors at 3 GW each, you would need to be able to remove (6*3000*0.065) 1.17 GW of heat immediately after shutdown, with that requirement dropping per the displayed graph.

If the same plant was at 50%, you would need to remove (1.17*0.5) 585 MW of heat, and if your plant was shutdown long enough, like ZNPP supposedly was, that number should be low enough that you'll be fine.

Spent fuel is a different beast and outside my knowledge base, so not sure what to do about that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The dam breaching has immeasurable downsides for both parties to the war. By all accounts the Russian front defence line is already gone. Crimea and to a lesser extent Moscow are going to feel this directly. I'm not sure you could reasonably describe anyone as having a significantly meaningful benefit from this.

Yeah and I don’t think it really changes their defensive dispositions very much either as concerns any Ukrainian offensive. The dam collapse changes the lower Dniepr from a 2000’ wide water obstacle with 1.5 miles of marsh on the other side forming an obstacle it was likely impossible for Ukraine to cross in force into a 2 mile wide water obstacle it is likely impossible for Ukraine to cross in force.

E: welp maybe I’m wrong and Russia would gently caress it’s own water supply to turn a practically impassible obstacle into a more impassable obstacle:
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1666130934373003279

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah ZNPP has enough water in its on prem coolant pool to keep the cold reactors cold and feed the spent fuel pools. It should be fine barring any Russian dumbassery.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

You could say the same thing about the war, but there is no doubt that Russia is responsible

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CommieGIR posted:

It should be fine barring any Russian dumbassery.

Well we're all hosed then

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah ZNPP has enough water in its on prem coolant pool to keep the cold reactors cold and feed the spent fuel pools. It should be fine barring any Russian dumbassery.

If UKR starts advancing in the area I wouldn't put it past them to blow that too.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

If UKR starts advancing in the area I wouldn't put it past them to blow that too.

me too, but please step away from the lathe of heaven.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I kind of doubt it. Russia is insane, but blowing up a nuclear plant would likely garner even more international outrage for obvious reasons. I kind of hope its just a threat like their constant threats about using nuclear weapons.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

CommieGIR posted:

I kind of doubt it. Russia is insane, but blowing up a nuclear plant would likely garner even more international outrage for obvious reasons. I kind of hope its just a threat like their constant threats about using nuclear weapons.

yeah, to be clearer, I don't think it's likely, I just don't want to confidently assert they definitely won't do that. I think I made that mistake with them digging positions in the Red Forest. fool me once by doing something so impossibly stupid I thought it unthinkable, shame on, uh, ... some, ... someone should be ashamed. :confused:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Extremely specific and very peculiarly timed change of Russian law

https://www.garant.ru/news/1628124/

(credit to paladinus for finding that one)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 6, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Extremely specific and very peculiarly timed change of Russian law

https://www.garant.ru/news/1628124/

(credit to paladinus for finding that one)

Not gonna click on any urls ending in .ru, what’s the summary?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I didn't do it, goddamnit, but I'm going to make some rules so I don't do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I didn't do it, goddamnit, but I'm going to make some rules so I don't do it again.

Rather, as I read it, the rules are that "IF you happen to make a little fucky wucky or ooopsie-woopsie with any dams in the occupied territories, for the next few years we won't give a gently caress, lmao."