Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

They've owned Formula 1 for about a decade now. But F1 has never shied away when people call them out for being corrupt af.

Let's be honest here, the Saudi money is really American money that we gave them for oil with a promise that the American military would defend them. They literally have to spend it on American goods because that's how international trade works. (Yes I know I'm simplifying but I don't want to get into international finance.)

Whether the Saudis by American cars, American Treasury Bonds, or Whatever, that has to flow back from where it originated.

If we want to be holier than the Saudis then we should never have bought their oil in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It would also not be a terrible time to maybe make an alternative tour for the guys in their 40s out of the remains of the LIV, and address some of the player greivances.

Still probably the worst possible result for anyone caring about the politics of all of this, or the structure of the company.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

daslog posted:

Let's be honest here, the Saudi money is really American money that we gave them for oil with a promise that the American military would defend them. They literally have to spend it on American goods because that's how international trade works. (Yes I know I'm simplifying but I don't want to get into international finance.)

Whether the Saudis by American cars, American Treasury Bonds, or Whatever, that has to flow back from where it originated.

If we want to be holier than the Saudis then we should never have bought their oil in the first place.

Exports of oil to the USA account for less than 5% of Saudi Arabia's total. The overwhelming majority is sold to China, India and other Asian markets. The USA and Saudi Arabia deal extensively in arms. Saudi Arabia are investing in sports entirely because it's great business if you have a ton of available cash and want more quickly.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
so is it going to be 72 hole tourneys or 54.

lmao golf politics rules

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
initial feeling (since the PGA brass seems to be the mouthpiece on this so far and apparently Norman wasn't aware of anything until this morning) is that the LIV brand will either be lost to history or relegated to co-branding on some random gimmick events and it'll basically be business-as-usual for the PGA Tour, 72 hole individual stroke play for most of the events

total guess though

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think the Saudi Public Investment Fund has been looking to retreat for a while now......
From 5 days ago.....
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/endeavor-1-billion-liv-golf-2023

quote:

According to the head of Endeavor, the company considered a $1 billion investment in LIV Golf.
Endeavor, formerly known as Williams Morris Endeavor and WME-IMG, is a talent agency that owns the UFC and represents media stars and professional athletes.
According to CEO Ari Emanuel, Endeavor was pitched a stake in the Saudi-backed circuit by Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau.

There is also nothing that I see in today's statement about the tours combining, just the existing financial entities will each invest to create a new one. None of the actual details are out there. As of now, the Euro Tour, Asian Tour and LIV tour will still exist as will the PGA Tour.

Also, I don't think we still actually have seen definitively exactly how much "front money" was "paid and deposited" to these players just all the extravagant total contract $$ that were put out there that may have tons of unreachable milestones. They did get money up front as Varner and Koepka have stated we just don't know how much, right?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1666118686594220032

Lol

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

this is somehow extremely funny and horrible at the same time

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Vince is selling to Endeavor who hate KSA.

MustardFacial posted:

They've owned Formula 1 for about a decade now. But F1 has never shied away when people call them out for being corrupt af.

Liberty Media is Saudi owned?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

daslog posted:

Let's be honest here, the Saudi money is really American money that we gave them for oil

It is very literally American money. All oil transactions (I think everywhere, but it may just be from OPEC nations) are done in Petrodollars. Petrodollars up until very recently were US Dollars. It didn't matter which country was buying oil, if you were buying oil you were doing it in US Dollars.

At this point SA has more US Dollars than the US does.

Island Nation posted:

Liberty Media is Saudi owned?

This whole "merger" is essentially boiling down to a title sponsorship where Saudi Investment Fund companies take on title sponsorship roles for the league as a whole. F1 does this the same way.

Two of the title sponsors for Formula 1 are Aramco and Qatar Airways. SA doesn't directly own FOM (or the FIA) but they are paying the bills (and the kickbacks).

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 6, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It took an entity as bad as the Saudi investment fund to make the PGA a sympathetic character. I guess we should never have expected any other result. Evil meets Evil+ was always going to result in Evil++.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Did not expect this news today. If I'm Rory, I'm especially furious at this. Who, besides Monahan, would need to sign off on this from the PGA's perspective? I'm shocked nothing had leaked about this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Rory and Tiger gotta be livid lmao.

Tiger turned down a billion and equity lmao.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

I have a feeling this wasn't focus grouped prior to announcement.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

daslog posted:

I’m fine with this flowing back. What I’m not fine with is Bryson flowing back to us lol. We’re going to have to listen to the announcers tell us how he’s a math genius while Bryson takes 8 min to select a club for an approach shot because he was accounting for barometric pressure and humidity (calculated all in his head because he’s so smart!!).

What I am looking forward to is Phil’s swagger when he rolls into pga tour events a cool 100 million richer haha. I bet he’s going to give some hilarious interviews and be real smug with reporters. Phil’s the man.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Phil spent all that poo poo settling tabs with his bookie and the government

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Let’s be honest, Phil probably gambled away at least half of that money already. (Or paid his gambling debts with it).

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it's shaping up like Norman's gonna get left on the outside which is either hilarious or tragic, depending on if your name is Greg Norman

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
https://twitter.com/jameshesky/status/1666112128703406081?s=46&t=G6CJ0SXAYnboFhRP-mw0TA

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Money always wins :shepicide:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Jesus loving christ this letter

https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1666092033868701697

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rack em

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

What’s Jesus Christ about it? Sounds like LIV is deader than a doornail

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The PGA players who towed the company line look by far the worst here. Remember kids, there's no such thing as loyalty in the business world. You owe these places nothing.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Yeah this sounds like the PGA rolled up and said "You guys are hosed, you know you're hosed, give us a cut of your dirty, dirty money and we'll bring your players back and let you save some face."

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Rogue Elephant posted:

Yeah this sounds like the PGA rolled up and said "You guys are hosed, you know you're hosed, give us a cut of your dirty, dirty money and we'll bring your players back and let you save some face."

The PGA was probably motivated by the idea of having all of their internal documents made public during the discovery phase of the lawsuit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rogue Elephant posted:

That's still a win for Saudi Arabia though.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

I can't imagine Tiger was going to risk his billion dollar Nike bag for a different bag with more blood on it.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

daslog posted:

The PGA was probably motivated by the idea of having all of their internal documents made public during the discovery phase of the lawsuit.

Yeah that's also true, I should clarify that by 'hosed' I mean that almost no one actually cares about LIV, not who would win a lawsuit. The reigning PGA Champion is on their roster and it didn't move the needle at all

edit:

Shinjobi posted:

That's still a win for Saudi Arabia though.

Agreed, I think it's a win-win for them and the PGA, the only losers really are any players who refused to sign on ethical/moral grounds who now have to compromise themselves to continue their careers

Rogue Elephant fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 6, 2023

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

fancyclown posted:

Money always wins :shepicide:

Well he's got my vote.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/chadmumm/status/1666110482993008640?s=12&t=VyHvf2uJxP94wV4ooBbtEw

appointment viewing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh maaaannnn :munch:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Full Swing came at the absolute perfect time. It's unreal how lucky they got.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

daslog posted:

imo the third paragraph mentioning that this move allows them to remain tax exempt makes this the most plausible explanation. they were terrified of discovery putting them under scrutiny and losing that status

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

i am a moron posted:

The Jesus Christ part is this:

The PIF (through another company) is taking control of the entire commercial aspect of the PGA, LIV, and DP World Tour.

Along with this:

Where the governor of the PIF and Monahan are the ones taking pay days.

The PGA still stays non-profit and still holds PGA events, but all of the money in the sport now runs back to Monahan's pockets and the PIF (and by proxy Saudi Arabia).

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 6, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This feels like the biggest golf story... Ever?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kirios posted:

This feels like the biggest golf story... Ever?

Tigers crash was p. big news.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/TheMaxMeyer/status/1666088801545101316?t=OLO070Y1x5HL67OT-CSMDg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RQ7I_UNQlQ