Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sharknado slashfic posted:

I do wonder if the air force trying and failing to shoot down 3 sky trashes a few months ago forced some hands

I think them actually shooting one down helped even more. they "didn't locate" the wreckage despite having the object on contact while it fell down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mdemone posted:

the one part I still truly doubt is the "we have their bodies" part.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

but the guy said we had bodies as well, so its not just probes. also I wonder if it turns out to be more than one different alien..

i can believe this easily, i suspect 'bodies' is sorta flexible on what is a 'body' anyways. if they found the pnutty equivalent to data in wreckage, what would they think in the 1950s? 'weird body'

Wheeee posted:

reddit will truly die when they kill old.reddit.com

my fav example right now of "it used to work, they broke it on purpose!". at least i can still turn off the new stuff while i yell at clouds :argh:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1666175385900294145

:smugdog:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

hell yeah im gonna keep whining about this. It's amazing how much functionality just about every major site has lost in the last 10 years.

Almost every single one, alphabet's stuff, reddit, meta stuff; i am new-ish to using microsoft products anywhere close to seriously (talking about .net and whatnot) but I mean, each successive windows 10 update seems to take away functionality or further occlude advanced features.

My brain wants to get conspiratorial about it, because I haven't quite figured out the "pure-strain capitalist mode of thought" rationale for intentionally breaking products that worked, when there's no lifetime cycle to abuse like, say, a household appliance or phone does, but even if that's the right angle of attack for understanding why it's happening, it's the most on its face boring conspiracy ever

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

i can believe this easily, i suspect 'bodies' is sorta flexible on what is a 'body' anyways. if they found the pnutty equivalent to data in wreckage, what would they think in the 1950s? 'weird body'

I'd guess they found what we would call non-mechanical components, and said "is this a body?"

that's as far as I'll go otherwise we are talking about a hilariously amazing conspiracy to hide the single most important thing that has ever happened to the human race.

von Neumann drones are one thing. alien craft that are "mechanical", okay fine, it's global news and a major change to human history.

actually having physical proof of alien life is a level above that. again, it would be the single most important thing that has ever happened to humanity. secrets like that don't get kept because they can't be.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mdemone posted:

I'd guess they found what we would call non-mechanical components, and said "is this a body?"

that's as far as I'll go otherwise we are talking about a hilariously amazing conspiracy to hide the single most important thing that has ever happened to the human race.

von Neumann drones are one thing. alien craft that are "mechanical", okay fine, it's global news and a major change to human history.

actually having physical proof of alien life is a level above that. again, it would be the single most important thing that has ever happened to humanity. secrets like that don't get kept because they can't be.

It would be insane as gently caress if we've been studying alien biology for the last 80 years in secret lol

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Riot Bimbo posted:

hell yeah im gonna keep whining about this. It's amazing how much functionality just about every major site has lost in the last 10 years.

Almost every single one, alphabet's stuff, reddit, meta stuff; i am new-ish to using microsoft products anywhere close to seriously (talking about .net and whatnot) but I mean, each successive windows 10 update seems to take away functionality or further occlude advanced features.

My brain wants to get conspiratorial about it, because I haven't quite figured out the "pure-strain capitalist mode of thought" rationale for intentionally breaking products that worked, when there's no lifetime cycle to abuse like, say, a household appliance or phone does, but even if that's the right angle of attack for understanding why it's happening, it's the most on its face boring conspiracy ever

i picture small armies of project managers justifying their existences by any means necessary and their user experience divination techniques systematically favoring playskoolifying user interfaces

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe the aliens use cybernetic drones with quantum entangled communication devices to instantly communicate and pilot their ships

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tungsten posted:

i picture small armies of project managers justifying their existences by any means necessary and their user experience divination techniques systematically favoring playskoolifying user interfaces

Or at least, more like touchscreen devices*

*latest fad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Riot Bimbo posted:

I haven't quite figured out the "pure-strain capitalist mode of thought" rationale for intentionally breaking products that worked,

they’re just worried because new hotnesses keep taking market share and they need to make what money they can or figure out what people want and they mostly do this by throwing spaghetti at the wall

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tungsten posted:

that makes sense, even though i hate it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hatebag posted:

Maybe the aliens use cybernetic drones with quantum entangled communication devices to instantly communicate and pilot their ships

again that is not how entanglement works

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mdemone posted:

maybe not for you

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mdemone posted:

That's how it works in alienland

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mdemone posted:

If the aliens made it work like that, who are we to say

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't know if it's a second interview or if it's parts from the interview last night, but News Nation says there's more footage coming tonight at 6 pm ET.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

If the aliens made it work like that, who are we to say

they don't get to break the law. the universe is non-local. exploit strings if you want to do that. you still can't use entangled particles with lightcones that don't touch

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Wheeee posted:

reddit will truly die when they kill old.reddit.com
The day they do I'm never going there again, there's nothing on reddit worth dealing with the new format

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

uber_stoat posted:

this place is like a tiny pocket of the old internet somehow survived on a remote island somewhere.

We're like the Sentinelese

And :10bux: are like our arrows

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Delta-Wye posted:

my fav example right now of "it used to work, they broke it on purpose!". at least i can still turn off the new stuff while i yell at clouds :argh:

"these parts of the crashed alien craft go squish when we poke them instead of clang and ping"

VVVVV speed of light is unbreakable but spacetime is clearly not flat so it could be possible to take shortcuts

ymgve has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Jun 6, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mdemone posted:

they don't get to break the law. the universe is non-local. exploit strings if you want to do that. you still can't use entangled particles with lightcones that don't touch

Yeah, the things with the birds is that I still believe that the speed of light is inviolable and that's there no weird trick to get around it.

Maybe at the very outside possibility they're von neumann probes going the slow way, which just leads to questions about their power unit and propulsion. Like what could they be doing under the hood that lets them travel for thousands of years and still be able to dart around in a thick atmosphere with no resistance?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

[*]This bullet point is in no way related to recent NORAD and U. S. Northern Command operations associated with airborne objects over North America during early February.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

mdemone posted:

the one part I still truly doubt is the "we have their bodies" part.

put one on my table, I'll get to the bottom of things, and then create a special plastinate sculpture which I will entitle The Posture of Dorian Grey

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Like what could they be doing under the hood that lets them travel for thousands of years and still be able to dart around in a thick atmosphere with no resistance?

They're more likely to be auxiliary craft deployed from something bigger, like that thing about the mothership being in the ocean.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, the things with the birds is that I still believe that the speed of light is inviolable and that's there no weird trick to get around it.

Maybe at the very outside possibility they're von neumann probes going the slow way, which just leads to questions about their power unit and propulsion. Like what could they be doing under the hood that lets them travel for thousands of years and still be able to dart around in a thick atmosphere with no resistance?

I'm still going with the Meissner effect. watch a pendulum be stopped by the expulsion of B-fields, it looks unphysical.

of course this requires both a magnetic field to move around in, and also a room-temp superconducting material that is hella optimized for Meissner effect (super-low surface density OR some fancy-rear end materials)

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

maybe if we shout “show me the crashed ship you gently caress” in the faces of the right people long enough they’ll actually show us

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
J'rooti needs to poo poo or get off the pot.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mdemone posted:

Ok, I've skimmed a few articles about quantum entanglement now and my understanding is that if there were some means to force a quantum state in one entangled particle, the other would take the opposite state. So there is possibly a way to have faster than light communication but it would just require something that is currently considered impossible, much like ufos.

Case closed!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

communication is (ok … may be) possible across interstellar distances on other planes as well so you don’t need to get discouraged that entanglement is a dead end

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

*taps rod*

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

skooma512 posted:

Area 51 scientist after years of work to open an alien device: “What the… Wheaties?”

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hatebag posted:

Ok, I've skimmed a few articles about quantum entanglement now and my understanding is that if there were some means to force a quantum state in one entangled particle, the other would take the opposite state. So there is possibly a way to have faster than light communication but it would just require something that is currently considered impossible, much like ufos.

Case closed!

if you can "force" a quantum state then you're controlling either the propagation of that state through the multiverse or the decoherence of that superposition into a single state, depending on which view you take of QM. (The entangled particle doesn't matter because it's the *same particle* just in a different spacetime location.) In either case you are able to control the fundamental nature of "local reality" for certain classes of observers.

this is god-like behavior and we don't even have the language to discuss it.

mdemone has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Jun 6, 2023

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i like the idea of self replicating von neumann probes that don't phone home, it helps to simultaneously solve the 'time' dimension of the drake equation as well. representatives of long dead civilizations exploring and studying the stars over a millennia as they pack the universe with exponentially self-replicating sky trash :allears:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mdemone posted:

I'm still going with the Meissner effect. watch a pendulum be stopped by the expulsion of B-fields, it looks unphysical.

of course this requires both a magnetic field to move around in, and also a room-temp superconducting material that is hella optimized for Meissner effect (super-low surface density OR some fancy-rear end materials)

Do you have a video of this?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you have a video of this?

yeah hang on a bit. YouTube is lovely to look things up

have this while I search:

https://youtu.be/AWojYBhvfjM

mdemone has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Jun 6, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they don’t necessarily have to be be phone home probes. they could just be self replicating machines that got started for whatever reasons

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
If it's all true, they have played us for absolute fools.

Or, if the latest outburst is nonsense, they have played us for absolute fools.

In either case, I guess they have played us for absolute fools.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

they don’t necessarily have to be be phone home probes. they could just be self replicating machines that got started for whatever reasons

outstanding subplot in star control 2 about this

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

mdemone posted:

if you can "force" a quantum state then you're controlling either the propagation of that state through the multiverse or the decoherence of that superposition into a single state, depending on which view you take of QM. (The entangled particle doesn't matter because it's the *same particle* just in a different spacetime location.) In either case you are able to control the fundamental nature of "local reality" for certain classes of observers.

this is god-like behavior and we don't even have the language to discuss it.

All things are possible through JRod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mr_jolly posted:

If it's all true, they have played us for absolute fools.

Or, if the latest outburst is nonsense, they have played us for absolute fools.

In either case, I guess they have played us for absolute fools.

the only people who won are those who have been cashing checks since WW2 in exchange for "I dunno lol"