Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Apple should just go all in on that and have Apple TV make a sequel to Searching (which can also be watched as an AR movie on the Vision itself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Apple said they partnered with Unity so presumably anything that leverages their engine should technically compile for the iVision. If you're a small or mid tier app developer and you're using unreal, you'll probably be thinking real hard about doing your next app in unity instead

Everything from Nintendo switch games, Android up to AAA platform games use Unity so a lot should be available eventually. If you can map "pinch fingers together with right hand" -> A button and "pinch fingers left hand" -> B button with apple's API then you should get the full load of Quest 1's VR shovelware ported to iVision pretty quickly

Stuff like space pirate trainer and pistol whip will probably cross compile with literally 5 minutes worth of work

This probably only applies to games that use a new enough Unity version to have the abstracted XR framework. A lot of games use older Unity versions where they are stuck with having written the game for the proprietary OpenVR and legacy Oculus API plugins. They would have to port their games to new Unity versions, and that seems to be a ton of work judging by the games that have already done it, or are in the process of doing it (like VRChat).

And that's assuming Apple is even using the XR framework. It's always possible they could be using a plugin that doesn't interface with it, or requires a specific Unity version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rectus posted:

This probably only applies to games that use a new enough Unity version to have the abstracted XR framework. A lot of games use older Unity versions where they are stuck with having written the game for the proprietary OpenVR and legacy Oculus API plugins. They would have to port their games to new Unity versions, and that seems to be a ton of work judging by the games that have already done it, or are in the process of doing it (like VRChat).

And that's assuming Apple is even using the XR framework. It's always possible they could be using a plugin that doesn't interface with it, or requires a specific Unity version.

VRChat's in a worse place than most for that because of the tech debt from its user-creared content. I can only imagine testing against newer Unity versions involves a bunch of old SDK2 worlds in the mix to see how legacy content will break, and if they're okay with it happening in whatever way it does.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Turin Turambar posted:

Also

https://twitter.com/JeffMacke/status/1665810043990872064?cxt=HHwWgMDU9Zfakp4uAAAA

Not divorced. People have decided already it's about a harboiled cyber detective reliving moments of his dead family with holo-videos. Get it right. :P

Imagine in the final scene of Inception if only Leo was walking to see his kids while wearing an Apple Vision Pro, he could repeatedly relive the moment in true 4k Spatial Video

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Their beta signup confirms it uses Unity's XR Interaction Toolkit alongside some new stuff in 2022, so it seems like it probably uses their normal XR stuff. Not completely seemless, you'll have to put XR Tracked Drivers in as well as all the input stuff which as you say could be hooked into a combination of oculus / whatever input since Unity didn't really have 6dof device input from controllers built into the engine until 2020. But it should just be weeks of work vs hours of work for most things I imagine.

People will probably have more issues with random unity changes to things like particles or their animation system. Or god forbid if they use Unity's UNET multiplayer api which they finally pulled the plug on in I think 2021

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Vision Air 3 is going to be so dope

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Why, oh lord, why, I have seen already in two places claims that the headset is expensive but 'it eliminates motion sickness'.

It eliminates motion sickness if you only do mixed reality static/seated experiences! which is already the case for any current and past VR device!

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Rectus posted:

It used to be such a pain to switch Unity versions that we basically never did it. That situation changed somewhere around 2018~19. I still generally pick the newest Unity LTS version and try to stick with it but upgrading the version has been surprisingly easy the last few times I had to do it. Last time I had to update a game it was from a 2018 version of unity and we took it to the 2021 LTS version and basically nothing broke. I was completely surprised.

That said, there probably aren't a ton of games using the XR framework. It's new enough that there are probably very few games actually out that are using it. Switching over from one of the previous frameworks would take some time, not a ton, probably a few weeks to a month or two depending on the game.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VRChat's in a worse place than most for that because of the tech debt from its user-creared content. I can only imagine testing against newer Unity versions involves a bunch of old SDK2 worlds in the mix to see how legacy content will break, and if they're okay with it happening in whatever way it does.

VRChat's main issue is that they let creators use custom shaders, a ton would have to be entirely rewritten to work in the newer render pipelines.

The only reason they're able to upgrade Unity versions is that they got Unity to help them port the older render pipeline to 2021.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leathal posted:

The bit about how good 3D movies look is interesting. 3D Blu-ray rips are very obviously low resolution in comparison to 6-8k VR180, so hopefully this implies Apple has been able to convince studios to release some remastered 3D titles.

i mean watching tron legacy on my q2 was already loving sick. like, amazing, absurdly cool experience. and that was just normal 1080p 3D
i have no doubt that 4K 3D would be insanely cool in the thirty five hundred dollar applequest

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

marumaru posted:

i mean watching tron legacy on my q2 was already loving sick. like, amazing, absurdly cool experience. and that was just normal 1080p 3D
i have no doubt that 4K 3D would be insanely cool in the thirty five hundred dollar applequest

:yeah:

Still a drat hell of a price tag, though

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

He compares the general build/heft to being like the AirPod Max, then goes on to suggest wearing headphones with these.

Just imagining the first Apple fanatic to don both at once and immediately have their head spiked to the floor from the sheer mass.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

App13 posted:

Vision Air 3 is going to be so dope

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

Zero VGS posted:

He compares the general build/heft to being like the AirPod Max, then goes on to suggest wearing headphones with these.

Just imagining the first Apple fanatic to don both at once and immediately have their head spiked to the floor from the sheer mass.

If I was understanding it right, you scan your face with an iphone, to get a custom cutout fit the device, so the face padding is person specific.

So, you can share it, sure, but it will be sub par for the other people by definition.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i understood it differently - you scan your face with the headset itself, facing you, and it just creates the avatar / uncanny eyes for the faceplate

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah that’s what I understood. The other part is that there are a few options for the facial interface, but nothing full-custom. You just pick from one of half a dozen or whatever. Could be the Memoji+ scanner will also recommend one of the gasket options.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My assumption is that the gasket scanning with an iPhone is something they'll do in-store before a purchase (or for trying it out), and the self-scanning for the avatar comes later after you bring one home.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

God drat, a video recorded on the apple hmd is going to make you sick real quick, unless you hold it completely still while recording

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0HBzePUmZ0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh Tested, that's what i wanted!
MKBHD comments weren't informative enough. For example he was impressed by the eye tracking, but how different is from the psvr2 and quest pro eye tracking?

I guess the custom facial interface will cost extra $$, same as the extra lenses if you are myopic, the extra top strap, etc. This is Apple we are talking about.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I am encouraged that everything seems to have eye tracking now, hopefully FOV rendering finally takes off. Or even being able to look around using your eyes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Alctel posted:

I am encouraged that everything seems to have eye tracking now, hopefully FOV rendering finally takes off. Or even being able to look around using your eyes

except Quest 3!

-------

PSVR2 most sold games on May

...the top three are Quest games!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turin Turambar posted:

except Quest 3!

-------

Wait, it doesn't? Noooo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nine escape rooms for $15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDn9g4Q-bE

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not that I was ever going to buy this, but as someone with a lazy eye, it probably literally won't work for me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Alctel posted:

Wait, it doesn't? Noooo

Quest 3 summary:

Panel with 20% more resolution (unconfirmed, just info from a leak, but sounds believable)
Better optics (pancake lenses)
A bit thinner in size
2x the gpu power
No eye tracking (and no dynamic foveated rendering)
No face tracking
New strap (looks better than the default one, but still not as good as the elite strap or a 3rd party one)
Stereo rgb cameras in the front for color, hd passthrough
Depth sensor in the front to help with mixed reality features
Controllers without IR ring

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rectus posted:

We upgraded from some older poo poo to a newer one and I think beyond a handful of things it was pretty straight forward. I know it didn't take our team a ton of time to simply move over and they legit don't work a lot of hours on the project per week or w/e. Literal hobby to them.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'm probably going to end up with the Quest 3 for the lenses more than anything. The weight being the same is a bit of a letdown, and the CPU/GPU does like nothing for me since it wasn't the bottleneck for PCVR anyways. Hopefully they have a better chip so the bit rate can be higher than 200mb/s.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

is there much reason to think the quest 3 will be notably better than the pico 4 for PCVR? the only spec that stands out to me is 90hz vs 120hz

the pico is floating around £320-340 here now, so £500 for the quest 3 looks hard to justify

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

repiv posted:

is there much reason to think the quest 3 will be notably better than the pico 4 for PCVR? the only spec that stands out to me is 90hz vs 120hz

the pico is floating around £320-340 here now, so £500 for the quest 3 looks hard to justify

Maybe it will support wifi7 and the better chip will be able to handle higher bitares, but that's pure speculation. It's also possible it will be just the same.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I was chatting with my boss today and he mentioned he's already been in touch with our Apple rep to get a headset as soon as its available lol. Sounds like he's more interested in the 3D recording aspects rather than using it for training.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How does PCVR work with the Quest 2 in terms of performance improvements?

If you take one game, and run it standalone on the Quest then run it over PCVR, what changes are there? I'm guessing the resolution remains the same but do you get more FPS? Better textures? All of the above?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I was chatting with my boss today and he mentioned he's already been in touch with our Apple rep to get a headset as soon as its available lol. Sounds like he's more interested in the 3D recording aspects rather than using it for training.

the boss wearing it during an all hands so he can carefully study everyones reactions afterwards

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Al! posted:

the boss wearing it during an all hands so he can carefully study everyones reactions afterwards

Imagine those generated eyeballs, glaring at each and every person one by one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hughmoris posted:

If you take one game, and run it standalone on the Quest then run it over PCVR, what changes are there? I'm guessing the resolution remains the same but do you get more FPS? Better textures? All of the above?

All of the above. Streaming from your PC uses the full power of your computer to run the games and display on the Quest like it's an external display. The games on quest have to run natively on a headset that has a relatively low ceiling for processing power so games are usually grainer with lower quality textures and AA and post processing and all the things that make PC games look pretty and they don't always run with a consistently high frame rate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To be fair a 20pc chicken mcnugget costs the same as a 10pc

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

They will be two different ports for two different platforms. How close or how far they are will depend a lot of the game (and if it was designed with the Quest on mind from the start..) and the devs. Some change a lot, others are surprisingly close.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

except Quest 3!

-------

Surprised to not see horizon or RE8 or GT7 on there at all but I guess the former was a pack in for most people and the latter are just free updates to games most people probably already own.

Red Matter 2 seems kind of dull, but man it really shows off how clear PSVR2 games are capable of looking. I only played maybe an hour of it and got distracted by Zelda. Need to get back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

Surprised to not see horizon or RE8 or GT7 on there at all but I guess the former was a pack in for most people and the latter are just free updates to games most people probably already own.

Red Matter 2 seems kind of dull, but man it really shows off how clear PSVR2 games are capable of looking. I only played maybe an hour of it and got distracted by Zelda. Need to get back to that.

I'd honestly say those lists are the way they are because thats kinda how it is in general with the popularity of said games. Those games are also easy "recommends" to new PSVR people from folks who already play them on other platforms. Plus things like beat saber got "Free" updates so any previous whatever activation probably counts as a sale.