Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

I found a “break the scooters” minigame that is good for grinding gift money, but it won’t let me turn up the difficulty from Easy. How do I make it let me turn it up?

Progress the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

guppy posted:

Can anyone recommend some simple, basic punishes as Blanka? I'm not looking for anything complicated, I am somehow struggling to string together a few decent hits. Right now I'm defaulting to throw just because I know I can do it and it's okay damage.

i believe it's 2MK xx Electric

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

might be wrong tho, i'm not a blanka main and i'm not able to test it out yet

just going off of what vanao does

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ive been having a lot fun with manon but id like to branch out to a second character. i have a lot of trouble with charge moves so id like to work on that. are there any suggestions?

i was looking at learning blanka, would that be a big change of pace from manon while being something a guy who still is working on basic inputs can pick up without getting too frustrated?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Got to silver tonight on a 7 win streak. Feeling great.

But I'm stopping there for now because I have psyched myself out. Do ranked streaks persist if you lose in other modes? I think I noticed they did not earlier which makes hiding in casual until I hit a hot streak not a possibility. They're pretty forgiving by not bumping you down ranks until diamond anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al! posted:

ive been having a lot fun with manon but id like to branch out to a second character. i have a lot of trouble with charge moves so id like to work on that. are there any suggestions?

i was looking at learning blanka, would that be a big change of pace from manon while being something a guy who still is working on basic inputs can pick up without getting too frustrated?

Play deejay you only need to remember you have charge moves if you are getting your rear end kicked

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Play deejay you only need to remember you have charge moves if you are getting your rear end kicked

well, i want to use a character that depends on the charge moves so i can get good at them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guile

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just pick guile. He’s THE chargeguy of videogames

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hmm never thought of myself as a guile guy but hell its worth a shot

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

play honda and learn the valuable lesson of charging within strings, start with like c.lp c.lp headbutt and lp mp headbutt and feel yourself growing stronger

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Guile is in charge of all the charge characters, you might even say he's charged with getting them charged up

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
There's something I don't understand about input buffering (that might not even be the correct term).

Sometimes when I am blocking a combo string, I can start off holding back (to block) then release back *during the combo string* and tap an attack. My character will continue blocking then when the string is finished throw out an attack.

But sometimes when I try this my character just gets hit as soon as I stop holding back. Or at least it feels like it.

Why does my character continue to block sometimes and immediately get hit other times?

I will note that I am not good at fighting games so I may gravely misunderstand what's happening. The framing I used above may be totally wrong, in which case please correct me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If there's a gap between two enemy attacks then you will get hit if you release block but if the enemy attacks have no gap in between them where you can act then you'll keep blocking automatically.

Don't rely on that unless you know what you're doing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

are there any jamie mains out there? i never get matched up with a jamie

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Christ so many Manon and Marisas.
Not played a single Honda, Dhalsim or Blanka.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mega Comrade posted:

Christ so many Manon and Marisas.
Not played a single Honda, Dhalsim or Blanka.

Honda's out there. So many headbutts.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Al! posted:

I been playin him nonstop and have officially given up on all other characters. he's too drat fun. It's funny because he wasn't even on my list of characters I was considering until trying him on a whim during the open beta.

Still not great, but i'm improving. The important part is he's the character who's so fun I laugh even while getting my rear end kicked.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Sorry if this question came up I am so beyond on posts: Does completing all the character guides unlock a title, and if not how many do you need to do to unlock the last one? I’m guessing they’re leaving room for more “X Dan” when more characters come out.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
They really kneecapped Jamie's style for world tour. Because you can't select two moves with matching motion inputs you have to choose between his rekkas and his breakdance he unlocks at lv2. Oh also his gourd swig isn't one of his unique attacks so you can't drink unless it's at the end of specific normal chains or special moves.

Probably gonna go back to Lily at least she starts feeling better after unlocking condor spire.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Sorry if this question came up I am so beyond on posts: Does completing all the character guides unlock a title, and if not how many do you need to do to unlock the last one? I’m guessing they’re leaving room for more “X Dan” when more characters come out.

On the screen with the titles you can show locked titles and preview their unlock requirements.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Jack Trades posted:

On the screen with the titles you can show locked titles and preview their unlock requirements.

Oh I didn’t see that! Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DeadButDelicious posted:

They really kneecapped Jamie's style for world tour. Because you can't select two moves with matching motion inputs you have to choose between his rekkas and his breakdance he unlocks at lv2. Oh also his gourd swig isn't one of his unique attacks so you can't drink unless it's at the end of specific normal chains or special moves.

Probably gonna go back to Lily at least she starts feeling better after unlocking condor spire.

My most annoying example of that is Dhalsim's teleport. Teleporting backwards and forwards is two separate abilities so if you want both it takes two slots.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does dj ever teach you mgu or jus cool?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Al! posted:

I played Jamie in the open beta and my conclusion was that he's just barely Not Good Enough

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crossposting my Alita avatar selfies with Cammy from the Alita thread :haw:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

inthesto posted:

I played Jamie in the open beta and my conclusion was that he's just barely Not Good Enough

Jaimes stepdad has logged on

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i made a pretty decent kim kitsurugi except ive been struggling ro get the body proportions right, so he kind of looks like kim kitsurugi by way of voldo right now

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

jamie is really fun to play but having to drink and forego oki to get his best tools every round when almost everyone else is good from the jump impedes how aggressively I want to play him

Al! posted:

i made a pretty decent kim kitsurugi except ive been struggling ro get the body proportions right, so he kind of looks like kim kitsurugi by way of voldo right now

you tried hitting the surname link twice and missed both times

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Jack Trades posted:

If there's a gap between two enemy attacks then you will get hit if you release block but if the enemy attacks have no gap in between them where you can act then you'll keep blocking automatically.

Don't rely on that unless you know what you're doing.

How do I know when to stop blocking and attack then? I can see the following possibilities:

1) Wait until I visually see that the enemy has stopped attacking
2) Memorize common combos and stop blocking when I know they're finishing

Is that right? Should I be doing something else?

The issue with #1 is it's slow. When I block like this I get thrown a lot. #2 is a knowledge thing so for me, a scrub, it's not possible. But I can see how, in theory, it works.

I realize this is a basic question but I cannot overemphasize that I am a dumpster tier scrub :D

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How do I know when to stop blocking and attack then? I can see the following possibilities:

1) Wait until I visually see that the enemy has stopped attacking
2) Memorize common combos and stop blocking when I know they're finishing

Is that right? Should I be doing something else?

The issue with #1 is it's slow. When I block like this I get thrown a lot. #2 is a knowledge thing so for me, a scrub, it's not possible. But I can see how, in theory, it works.

Generally it's just a knowledge thing. You can be relatively certain that once your opponent has used a special move that it's now your chance to push buttons. Notably this isn't always true and sometimes a very bad idea, but it's a framework you can use at the start

From there you can build your knowledge up and, when you run into a character who that didn't work on, check the specifics

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Do people know what time those in game tournaments are actually going to be? I can't find any info and no one seems to know/answer about it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I am barging into the thread to say I loving love JP, he might be the most fun I've ever had with any fighting game character ever, except, perhaps, Potemkin

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Had a match with a Ryu that kicked my rear end twice in a row then we got into a custom room and just jammed for a good hour. I started getting matches on him pretty consistently and it became pretty even by the end. It was rad, just two people straight outta dirt league striving to become stronger.

It's a wonderful feeling to actually be able to find people at my level so I can play the game instead of just getting mashed into paste with no recourse repeatedly.

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

guppy posted:

Can anyone recommend some simple, basic punishes as Blanka? I'm not looking for anything complicated, I am somehow struggling to string together a few decent hits. Right now I'm defaulting to throw just because I know I can do it and it's okay damage.

I've been doing HP -> coward crouch -> lift -> med vertical roll, does a lil under 3000

edit: I think you can also do lift -> EX thunder -> med roll there instead? Long story short even if you don't get the rest HP -> cc -> lift will chunk anybody pretty good, isn't tough to execute and juggles. Get that then there's a litany of more or less complicated follow ups to get into over time.

NBA FAN !!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 7, 2023

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Closing the distance on JP's with Marisa is an absolute nightmare, good god.

EDIT: capcom please give marisa bison's headstomp thank you

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm back on my cammy bs :negative:

She really is super fun in this game. But resisting the temptation to immediately blow all my resources on my first solid hit is impossible with her. It's just too much fun and too stylish to do fancy combos

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/iDrop_/status/1666127607786532866

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tbh this entire trend makes the battlehub system worth it. I love the idea of specifically finding someone to take the winstreak from them, there's something very street fighter, heart of the battle about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
is there a way to just challenge somebody individually? i know you can arrange via the chat or PMs to meet at a cabinet but i mean if i see somebody i want to try, is there a way to issue a challenge