Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

My understanding is that the Citations don't have auto-throttle, and that precludes them from an automatic descent system.

I also believe that this type of aircraft is required to undergo inspections, but not annually - instead after certain periods of time have passed. A very rough scroll through ADSBX shows it isn't used frequently, maybe once or twice a month. If it's acquiring hours slowly, it may have been a long while since the pressurization system was inspected.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wombot posted:

My understanding is that the Citations don't have auto-throttle, and that precludes them from an automatic descent system.

I also believe that this type of aircraft is required to undergo inspections, but not annually - instead after certain periods of time have passed. A very rough scroll through ADSBX shows it isn't used frequently, maybe once or twice a month. If it's acquiring hours slowly, it may have been a long while since the pressurization system was inspected.

I'm assuming you mean the single-pilot Citations because the Latitude and Longitude both have auto throttle. They also have G5000 avionics so adding the Garmin auto-land could be pretty easy.

But the CJ4... yeah that would be a difficult retrofit.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Platystemon posted:

Colorado and California were in Hadlock’s original proposal.

Alaska and Hawai‘i both have terrain over FL125, but they’re not contiguous, and besides if you’re including them, you might as well include Canada and Mexico and soon the whole rest of the world.

I’ve not had a good couple of weeks!

I missed a social event at work last night because I misread the announcement email yesterday morning. :saddowns:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Regarding autopilots automatically descending when the pilots are inactive - my dinky little Cirrus has this feature, it’s like a screensaver, if there’s no buttons pushed, or other inputs at altitude it’ll display an idle warning, and a few minutes after that it’ll descend. Max altitude is only 17500 (Turbo will get to 25k).

It doesn’t have a pressurized cabin you’re just supposed to wear masks.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

idk how you go through everything it takes to be a jet pilot and not wear the oxygen mask all the time. id wear that mfer to bed. how else is everyone gonna know im a jet pilot

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

idk how you go through everything it takes to be a jet pilot and not wear the oxygen mask all the time. id wear that mfer to bed. how else is everyone gonna know im a jet pilot

Your epaulets

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Safety Dance posted:

Your epaulets

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the double ties is what always gets me

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I can't wait to play the lottery of "Who gets to fart in my face for this flight?"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/chaise-longue-double-level-airplane-seat-returns/index.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

You have to wear it to bed if the FAA says you’re fat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I can't wait to play the lottery of "Who gets to fart in my face for this flight?"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/chaise-longue-double-level-airplane-seat-returns/index.html

All this poo poo is some designers way of getting their name up on a bunch of news articles.

I can't see how something like this would pass either evacuation standards or crash standards (yay for the upper row chopping the lower row in half for a crash.)

They're never serious concepts.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
For sure, I just love the rehashing of "wouldn't this be great if..." that typically results in someone getting hot boxed at best, turned into chunky marinara at worst.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

All this poo poo is some designers way of getting their name up on a bunch of news articles.

I can't see how something like this would pass either evacuation standards or crash standards (yay for the upper row chopping the lower row in half for a crash.)

They're never serious concepts.

"rear end in your face" should get you laughed out of the room before it's more than a sketch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d sign on for this if only because it would force the airlines to start checking bags for free again, as Juan Trippe intended.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'd take a butt in my face for 21" seat width in economy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MrYenko posted:

I’d sign on for this if only because it would force the airlines to start checking bags for free again, as Juan Trippe intended.

You.... don't actually believe that, do you?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The person in front of you farts in your face, and the person behind you has taken their shoes off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I'd take a butt in my face for 21" seat width in economy.

Something between economy+ and business would be real nice

Just not being seated next to someone 7' tall with 30" wide shoulders would be nice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would rather fly in the cargo hold than in that configuration.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Is this better or worse than the bike seat concept from a couple of years ago?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Wet Leg lied to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Something between economy+ and business would be real nice

Just not being seated next to someone 7' tall with 30" wide shoulders would be nice

That’s premium economy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s premium economy.

Yeah but I want it on a 737. I pretty much never fly widebody

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Yeah but I want it on a 737. I pretty much never fly widebody

That’s called first class.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

5-across in a 737 would make a world of difference to pax comfort and provides more seats to sell than F. I would love to see it happen.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SlapActionJackson posted:

5-across in a 737 would make a world of difference to pax comfort and provides more seats to sell than F. I would love to see it happen.

But at what premium? Yield is ostensibly a more important metric than ASMs.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

safety can't be an undivided concern, or all the seats would face backwards wouldn't they?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I was thinking, "I'd pay 20% more for this goldilocks class" going to 5 across would be roughly that. Would you need 4-2 in economy for the drink cart to still go down the aisle

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

New seating concept: Shrink wrap me and put me in a tube, make an unboxing video when we land!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Beef Of Ages posted:

But at what premium? Yield is ostensibly a more important metric than ASMs.

1st order estimate says they only need a 20% price premium to make these seats revenue-neutral.

I'll bet every carrier in the US market has data on paid extra-legroom seats on which they could base an extra-shoulderroom price model.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

New seating concept: Shrink wrap me and put me in a tube, make an unboxing video when we land!

I vaguely recall reading some sci fi story years ago where economy gets shaved and has to get an enema before they go into cryo on interstellar space lights

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The 707 briefly had 2-3 economy:

If that even made it to revenue service pan-am quickly switched to the classic Boeing narrowbody 3-3. (707, 727, 737, 757 all have the same cabin width)

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Freaquency posted:

:stonklol:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Freaquency posted:

This one?

CNN posted:

The catch? The seats are so far upright that they'll be pretty much standing up.
Unveiled at the Aircraft Interiors Expo 2018 in Hamburg, the SkyRider 2.0 aims to help airlines squeeze in more passengers by allowing an "ultra-high density" and reducing the space between rows.
"The design of this seat enables to increase the passenger number by 20% allowing increasing profits for airline companies," says a spokesperson for Aviointeriors.
"Furthermore, Sky Rider 2.0 weighs 50% less than standard economy class seats and the reduced number of components enable minimum maintenance costs."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/standing-up-airplane-seat/index.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This would result if a nonzero amount of new infertility.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Once my car is capable of driving across the country while I nap in the back seat I'm never going to fly domestically again.

I'm not saying that's gonna happen next year, but I expect it to be feasible within my lifetime.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Once my car is capable of driving across the country while I nap in the back seat I'm never going to fly domestically again.

I'm not saying that's gonna happen next year, but I expect it to be feasible within my lifetime.

still not worth it in terms of time, gently caress that poo poo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, this is going to suck, and I'm sure it's not going to become ~a thing~, at least for the passengers with Russian-unfriendly passports: https://onemileatatime.com/news/air-india-777-stranded-russia/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Spirit could put those seats in, drop the ticket price $2, and people would still line up to have the gate agent spit in their mouth because it's $10 cheaper than someone else. The customers play a part in this by accepting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

that's a train, you're talking about trains