Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

FFT posted:

The xp bonuses you have to reknown per-character, but the +potion etc bonuses are permanent, as far as is known.

Yea, if you use that interactive online map of L's permanent stat altars that someone linked, it makes it a fairly painless slog paired with horse GPS to check off 160 of them, reveal most of the map, and get closer to completing each region for 4 paragon points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

does anyone have a brief must-know lore summary? it's been so long since I played d2/d3 and I just am forgetting who half these characters, etc, are.

did you watch the book of lorath videos?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

does anyone have a brief must-know lore summary? it's been so long since I played d2/d3 and I just am forgetting who half these characters, etc, are.

Blizzard put out a lore series on YouTube, it was posted like 100 pages ago. I'm sure it's easy to search for.

I don't think it's really needed if you just want to know what's going on in this game specifically.

victrix posted:

did you watch the book of lorath videos?

Yeah those.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ralph Ineson does some fine work in this one

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

the marketing for this game has been totally loving bonkers

i was watching tnt on mute and saw a commercial for this game that made me embarrassed to play it. a bunch of dudes looking directly into the camera yelling COME AND PLAY MY LORD

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are 3 prime evils. They are in hell. There is also heaven with a bunch of angels

Inarius is an angel. Lilith is a demon. They got married and created sanctuary, which is earth . And humans. That’s us.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Martian Manfucker posted:

diablo characters:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If something moves, kill it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They never say it will work permanently in the game which is funny

Elranthan
Jul 10, 2005

Wut?
If something doesnt move, hit it anyway, it might be faking dead as a trap....

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Elranthan posted:

If something doesnt move, hit it anyway, it might be faking dead as a trap....

Anything that has a health bar and takes damage from your attacks (or outright breaks) is an enemy that must be destroyed. It's a very easy system thankfully.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Forgive the length, tried to keep it concise as I could within reason:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

They never say it will work permanently in the game which is funny

They imply it with a MMOesque boring completionist grind tied to open world exploration, that's meant to throw you a bone but won't make or break your game if you don't do it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Any updated clan info? Too many join requests in Cathedral of Goons apparently.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

They imply it with a MMOesque boring completionist grind tied to open world exploration, that's meant to throw you a bone but won't make or break your game if you don't do it.

No the soulstones

Lol

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just assume every good person you meet will inevitably become CORRUPTED!!!!! That's the lore of all blizzard games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nah in D4 every good person gets violently eviscerated.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Substandard posted:

I just assume every good person you meet will inevitably become CORRUPTED!!!!! That's the lore of all blizzard games.

Some do not!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why did everyone hate D3s story again? I only ever played the campaign once at launch and I remember everyone loving hating the story but I didn't really read text boxes and such.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Why did everyone hate D3s story again? I only ever played the campaign once at launch and I remember everyone loving hating the story but I didn't really read text boxes and such.

It was comic booky

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It was perfectly fine I reckon.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think it stunk. D4s is much improved.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

'You've fought Diablo before, but have you fought Mega-Diablo?' I don't really think it was terrible, and it's not like the franchise had a great history of storytelling to betray in the first place, but I can see why people thought it was silly for sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, once you get into a groove, finding everything isn't that bad.

I hope I dont have to do these over again when seasons start. :P My understanding is that we may not need to? I know Alters carry over between seasons, but I dont think its clarified if Eternal progress carries into seasons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

D3's story was ok. Kain deserved to be killed by a more interesting villain. Azmodan was comically inept at being a master tactician. Like, Team Rocket level. I give em props though for exploding Leah and not bringing her back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Diablo's story is that all these loving monsters are hoarding MY gear and I'm getting it back.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Butterfly lady was just too based tbqh

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I thought Malthael was a better villain than Diablo and RoS's story overall was improved.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ice Fist posted:

I thought Malthael was a better villain than Diablo and RoS's story overall was improved.

RoS had a good story, but base game was kind of a disaster all the way through.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

zoux posted:

Diablo's story is that all these loving monsters are hoarding MY gear and I'm getting it back.

I didn't realize the RMAH had a backstory

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I hope I dont have to do these over again when seasons start. :P My understanding is that we may not need to? I know Alters carry over between seasons, but I dont think its clarified if Eternal progress carries into seasons.
The official word is that it's per-realm, which to me seems to suggest that it's once per softcore and once per hardcore, because I don't think seasons count as a separate realm.

No word on whether aspect dungeons stay unlocked though - so if they don't, you're still gonna need to grind out some of them to get to max renown.
Then again, supposedly grinding out the two last levels of renown is best done on Nightmare or Torment, because of the increased chance of drops - but I imagine it requires you to stick fairly closely to the meta build for every season.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

Malthael had his VA going 110% Ruthless

and it totally ruled

still team Lilith tho

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Diablo 3 had sexy spider lady voiced by Claudia Black

That's all I remember from that story.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

alcaras posted:

Is this accurate?

my current understanding on optimum-ish play:
- finish campaign asap, since you can't get to world tier 3 without finishing it
- you also get your mount in act 4, which speeds up moving around the world
- once you're done with the campaign, prioritize getting renown 3 in all zones (for the extra skill points)
- you'll probably want to tackle the capstone dungeon around L45-50 and unlock wt3
- then focus on renown 5 in all zones (for the extra paragon points) -- prioritize waypoints, altars, and strongholds -- pick up sidequests and do them too, but you can only have 20 at a time (try to only do dungeons if there's a sidequest for it, or a tree of whispers reward, or a nightmare sigil for it)
- helltide events are a great way to gear up, but only up every other hour
- you can dabble in nightmare dungeons as well, but prioritize renown 5 first
- you'll probably want to tackle the capstone dungeon around L60-65 and unlock wt4
- then do nightmare dungeons that are 3 levels above you (for 25% xp bonus) -- try to run Nightmare Dungeon Level (YourLevel - 51) [e.g. NM19 at L70] and keep doing helltide etc.

drat this sounds efficient

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The official word is that it's per-realm, which to me seems to suggest that it's once per softcore and once per hardcore, because I don't think seasons count as a separate realm.

No word on whether aspect dungeons stay unlocked though - so if they don't, you're still gonna need to grind out some of them to get to max renown.
Then again, supposedly grinding out the two last levels of renown is best done on Nightmare or Torment, because of the increased chance of drops - but I imagine it requires you to stick fairly closely to the meta build for every season.

I might have hallucinated this but I'm pretty sure that the last two renown tiers say that they must be completed on nightmare or torment

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Where do Twitch drops show up in-game?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Where do Twitch drops show up in-game?

Probably the same place as the KFC drops but I don’t know where those are either lol

Edit oh and it’s only 6 hours total for all 4. That’s not bad

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 6, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

runaway dog posted:

I might have hallucinated this but I'm pretty sure that the last two renown tiers say that they must be completed on nightmare or torment

You just have to unlock nightmare to access them.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

While I agree that world renown should be farmed in a post-50 WT3 especially since it helps you get through the lvl 50 to 70 lull (aside from spamming instance dungeons) to challenge the capstone, I'm waiting out to complete the one-time strongholds with their minibosses till WT4 for the Ancients gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
In the Rogue skill tree, Poison Imbuement says "Your next 2 Imbueable Skills deal Poison damage" What are my "imbueable" skills -- my generators? My spenders?

Can I have two imbuements on at the same time, or if I trigger one and then another, does the second one override the first?