Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's just a corny bigot, don't give any of them the attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's like most of them anyways

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shard posted:

Do fans of sports like football or american football or basketball or hockey have as much as an obsession about the casual fan as wrestling fans do?

there's enough low hanging fruit in pro sports that dumb guys never have to get too deep in the weeds when they're trying to find something to be a hater about. you just gripe about steroids or diving or do dog-whistle racism.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Endless Mike posted:

Baseball fans actively hate them because MLB keeps changing rules so games aren't 1000 hours long so casual fans might actually be interested

The vast majority of baseball fans have either embraced or made peace with many of the changes. The pitch clock has been the most significant change and baseball as a whole just was like “good job, this is good” before the season even started. There’s other rule changes with split reactions but that’s normal.

But also a lot of baseball and other sports fans recognize the basic reality that sports are a business and if they’re not performing well thats bad for their future. Plenty of sports leagues have collapsed and shut down. Even the big four in America have had close calls. So I think the way wrestling fans talk about business or ratings is not that weird in and of itself. Sports fans talk ratings and ticket sales sometimes. I think wrestling fans tend to be more hyper focused and myopic which probably comes from the way the industry and media has a smaller amount of stuff to focus on.

But any fanbase has its obsessive, snobbish fans who get furious about change and actively hate the idea of appealing to a wider audience. That’s people deeply in love with their thing and not wanting to see it change or in some cases not wanting to share it. You also see this in this in teenagers who don’t want everyone else enjoying their favorite obscure band or something. That’s a basic element of human nature.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"My son spends all his time talking about wrestling on the internet. He doesn't even like it. Spends hours of his time, on the computer, telling people about how this wrestling company is terrible. How nobody should watch it. He put mariachi music over the Mexican wrestlers, doing their Mexican wrestling, to let people know they shouldn't like it not just because it wasn't the wrestling he likes, but also that it was done by foreigners. I asked him why, and he said he needed to protect the business.

Forty three years old, he is."

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

extremely cool and not at all racist to dub it with that song btw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shin (he calls himself that as his last name is Shinley) is back and he still definitely isn’t Michael Elgin. That’s why he’s in this thread. He’s Shin. Not Michael Elgin.

https://twitter.com/wrestlemaniac93/status/1666193715516305410?s=46&t=XkSx8WdEiBDDOZ_X7upkoQ

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Shin Shinnely
Shin Shinnely
Shin Shin shin-lee
Mike Elgin most surely
Didn't make those tweets

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The Unacquittable Mike Elgin

(because he is bad at being dishonest, you see)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ZackTaylorFA/status/1666133510199947279?t=YKNG6gz1xfJ4xPtki6cX0g&s=19

https://twitter.com/ZackTaylorFA/status/1666134204873158676?t=oMH_aEgN5bxLbEMXw4tJJg&s=19

Jesus Christ...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
"How will I know an athlete isn't cishet if it isn't shoehorned into their gimmick and embarrassing storylines?"
Also that exchange at least has a happy ending
https://twitter.com/ZackTaylorFA/status/1666135001056911360?s=20

I'm pretty sure last pride there were also people complaining about the inclusion of bisexuals in straight passing relationships in AEW's pride promotional photos/ads. Hell, I might've even posted a picture from facebook of someone saying "why is ruby soho in that promo if she just married a dude?"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 7, 2023

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Shard posted:

Do fans of sports like football or american football or basketball or hockey have as much as an obsession about the casual fan as wrestling fans do?

There was worry that the NBA Finals ratings would be down because it's Denver vs Miami and no real big stars or crazy storyline. Jokic is closer to someone like uh maybe Bryan before he broke out, someone that people who were paying attention knew was the best in the world but didn't get the credit he deserved because of the market he's in.

Ratings have been fine

But there's a lot of talk about how casual fans don't watch many games / just highlights / and only follow for drama and can't appreciate certain types of basketball

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/frank765337840/status/1666221054849867776?t=BRaaV-rhzg-R5gR_Z4J2jw&s=19

https://twitter.com/wrestlemaniac93/status/1666223882913689601?t=5mtggdkegpHTNOOpc0JOkg&s=19

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Has Shin Shinley worked on any other big stories?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that guy is going to have a lot more success here in a few months when he's covered dozens of wrestling stories as a journalist who types and texts in the exact grammatically poor way that michael elgin does, and hasn't mysteriously abandoned his account

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Has Shin Shinley worked on any other big stories?

Probably how of keeps getting turned to if by telephones and this is a scam by big I.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When do we get Chinley, his DDT counterpart?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Frank Thorpe is basically the best account going these days.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I like that the people asking who okada is were the same people asking last year. At what point to you admit that you know who he is.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I like that the people asking who okada is were the same people asking last year. At what point to you admit that you know who he is.

The secret is that "casual viewers" those types claim to speak for are actually pretty happy to watch someone they know nothing about and be surprised.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Frank Thorpe is basically the best account going these days.

He retweeted this gem:

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1666280903318945793

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pylons posted:

The secret is that "casual viewers" those types claim to speak for are actually pretty happy to watch someone they know nothing about and be surprised.

A legit "casual viewer" probably doesn't know every single person on the AEW roster so who the gently caress cares if they know who Okada is? They will after the match.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Love fed fans saying Lucha isn't serious and than asking how will AEW land the casual viewer when Lucha has been proven to be one of the most appealing styles for...casual viewers

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Love fed fans saying Lucha isn't serious and than asking how will AEW land the casual viewer when Lucha has been proven to be one of the most appealing styles for...casual viewers

The more telling part is that they're blaming AEW for lucha existing just because they aired a lucha match.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Venn Diagram between "hardcore AEW hater" and "racist or bigoted in some way" appears to be a circle in most cases.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well this is just factually not true. Last year in the Forbidden Door build up when Okada came in to save Hangman, he got a god pop from the second the coin drop hit. Not like a normal high pitched pop either, but this low "OOOOOOOOOOOH".

People immediately lost their drat MINDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0JOxLTZRck&t=217s

And this was before he had appeared once on AEW television.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've heard Adam Cole say "Pick up Hangman, I'm gonna smash him with it!" so many times.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well this is just factually not true. Last year in the Forbidden Door build up when Okada came in to save Hangman, he got a god pop from the second the coin drop hit. Not like a normal high pitched pop either, but this low "OOOOOOOOOOOH".

People immediately lost their drat MINDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0JOxLTZRck&t=217s

And this was before he had appeared once on AEW television.

I think there's a lot to be said for the way Okada comes through the curtain with such intensity and that "you've hosed up" look on his face.

It doesn't matter if you know who he is, his charisma just pours out

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Michael Ronin's wife has changed her (not Michael Ronin, formerly Michael Elgin posing as her and Shin Shinley) account from Jessica Beauty to Rachel Ronin which is one of the funniest display names in internet history.

https://twitter.com/lilricoronin/status/1666515892874649612

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Michael Ronin's wife has changed her (not Michael Ronin, formerly Michael Elgin posing as her and Shin Shinley) account from Jessica Beauty to Rachel Ronin which is one of the funniest display names in internet history.

https://twitter.com/lilricoronin/status/1666515892874649612

So this is basically Michael talking to himself? That'll be fun when the inevitable 'I forget which account I was tweeting from' happens.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

So this is basically Michael talking to himself? That'll be fun when the inevitable 'I forget which account I was tweeting from' happens.

He asked to be untagged in a conversation that his burner originally tagged him in which was really funny.

https://twitter.com/Wrestling_gravy/status/1666555919826579457

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Swerve is 1337

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Crazy, had no idea about Swerve's work in Israel.

quote:

Alternative Action is a grassroots alternative to the status quo in Israel and the greater Middle East. From social programs and dialogue sessions to education and advocacy, Alternative Action aims to challenge one-sided perspectives on issues facing our region and to promote fresh alternatives based on justice, indigenous rights and the possibility of a brighter future for all peoples of the Middle East.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

a Cagematch reviewer posted:

I love seeing bad AAA quality wrestling open up a Friday night show where I know none of the titles are changing and nothing really will happen. It reminded me heavily of being in Mexico again, drinking Mexican Cokes and watching atrocious wrestling for less than ten dollars where I watched fish belly flops for a good 15 minutes off a highway.

you already know what match this is

we get it, you don't like lucha, jeezo

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

God I hate watching a trios match with some of the best lucha workers today on television goddamn it makes me so pissed :argh:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Drinking Mexican cokes and watching cheap wrestling sounds like a good time, to be honest.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1666696548653187074?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

it was probably a bad idea for the top star to become the best in the world at cranky man pressers, from a financial aspect

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I mean I kind of agree that it's pretty silly to have babyfaces keep coming out and go "YOU DON'T WRESTLE ENOUGH :qq:" at him, but I don't think it hurts the company from a financial aspect, it just makes those babyfaces look like dorks--

wait, this isn't about MJF, is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Who? Who has been besmirching Danhausen for a year in AEW?