Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that's a train, you're talking about trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

lol yeah that’s the one

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that's a train, you're talking about trains

The train option costs just as much as, or more than, a plane ticket, takes twice as long as driving, and usually has like a 3 AM departure or arrival time. I'm going to bet on full self-driving cars being a thing before we get worthwhile long-distance train service.

e: so I just looked it up, if I want to go from Miami to Seattle, it would take about 48 hours of constant driving. If I want to take a train, the fastest, cheapest option on Amtrak costs $1039 and involves 102 hours of sitting in a coach seat. If you want the ability to lie down during those four days of travel it's at least twice that price.

I would love for long distance train travel to be a practical thing in the US. Right now it isn't.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 6, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i doubt your actual cost on a hypothetical cross country autonomous driving trip is going to be all that much better than flying and that's also assuming you value your time at $0

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
yeah but no airports or other people

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I can definitely see the appeal of a near-future road trip in a self-driving car instead of flying. You get to bring lots more stuff, you have your car with you at your destination, and nicest of all, you aren't crammed in sardine-style with a bunch of strangers at any point. Sure, a long trip would take a few days, but computer drivers don't get fatigued and you could keep moving almost 24 hours a day.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a spaceship too. I have yet to hear of a self-driving system that I'd trust to take me across the street, let alone across a continent.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The train option costs just as much as, or more than, a plane ticket, takes twice as long as driving, and usually has like a 3 AM departure or arrival time. I'm going to bet on full self-driving cars being a thing before we get worthwhile long-distance train service.

e: so I just looked it up, if I want to go from Miami to Seattle, it would take about 48 hours of constant driving. If I want to take a train, the fastest, cheapest option on Amtrak costs $1039 and involves 102 hours of sitting in a coach seat. If you want the ability to lie down during those four days of travel it's at least twice that price.

I would love for long distance train travel to be a practical thing in the US. Right now it isn't.

actual machines vs loving magic. if we're allowing for a hypothetical future on the level of safe, driverless, passenger-carrying cross-continent highway travel but limiting ourselves to the current afterthought that is long-haul north american passenger rail, it's because you've already made up your mind about which one you like

fact remains, fast transcontinental travel while you sleep or idly pass the time is 19th century tech

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you've already made up your mind about which one you like

What I like has nothing to do with it, I already said I'd love for trains to be a practical option. But right now there's a ton of effort being put into developing self-driving cars and jack loving squat into developing long-distance rail travel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Union Pacific has a market cap of only like a hundred and twenty billion dollars.

It’s a rookie mistake to buy Twitter instead.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What I like has nothing to do with it, I already said I'd love for trains to be a practical option. But right now there's a ton of effort being put into developing self-driving cars and jack loving squat into developing long-distance rail travel.

right, but you said you'd love to nap while traveling cross-country, enough to never fly again, and are just waiting for the tech to be available. i just pointed out it already is

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bull3964 posted:

You.... don't actually believe that, do you?

gently caress no of course not. But we’re all allowed to dream.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powered Descent posted:

I can definitely see the appeal of a near-future road trip in a self-driving car instead of flying. You get to bring lots more stuff, you have your car with you at your destination, and nicest of all, you aren't crammed in sardine-style with a bunch of strangers at any point. Sure, a long trip would take a few days, but computer drivers don't get fatigued and you could keep moving almost 24 hours a day.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a spaceship too. I have yet to hear of a self-driving system that I'd trust to take me across the street, let alone across a continent.

Yeah but who is going to fart directly into your face?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but who is going to fart directly into your face?

I volunteer as tribute.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, but you said you'd love to nap while traveling cross-country, enough to never fly again, and are just waiting for the tech to be available. i just pointed out it already is

Tech is, money, will, political obstructionists, planning ability, very much isn't

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The average american is 5'6" tall and fits into airline seats quite comfortably

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mortabis posted:

The average american is 5'6" tall and fits into airline seats quite comfortably

Three-seats Georg, who lives in the lav of a Challenger 600 and flies 10,000 miles a day, is an outlier and should not be counted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
United Airlines taking notes and lobbying for fetal personhood to skew the statistics.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Platystemon posted:

United Airlines taking notes and lobbying for fetal personhood to skew the statistics.

lol I hadn't even considered children, I was just deliberately averaging the bimodal distribution

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Pretty soon they’ll just thread a rod through your shirtsleeves and hang it on a hook from the ceiling

Spirit will use the hook too but the rod is a $20 upcharge

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How much for a noose?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

canonically, one penny to hang yourself, two if you wanted to sit while doing it

quote:

Especially used in seaport cities that a ‘penny hang’ was an establishment common, located in a cellar or basement. It featured hooks in the walls, with ropes strung in parallel from one side to another at about shoulder height. In the late evening, a homeless person, a drunk or exhausted “clients”, who had spent all their money, or were too boisterous to be allowed anywhere else, would enter the penny hang, after paying a penny, and then drape themselves over a rope, and attempted to sleep as best they could

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
From the OSHA thread:

God drat people are stupid.

Stole this comment:

"Tourist: “Kobe!”

Pilot: “NOOO!”"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MisterOblivious posted:

From the OSHA thread:

God drat people are stupid.

Stole this comment:

"Tourist: “Kobe!”

Pilot: “NOOO!”"

On the one hand, dumb tourist. On the other hand I think she just had a weird almost involuntary reaction to seeing the pilot touch the lever and then feeling the need to copy him.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
But why. I've flown shotgun in small planes and never wanted to "just grab" the yoke or throttle or something. Unless the PIC told me to.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
what's that lever do? rotor quick-release?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

the milk machine posted:

what's that lever do? rotor quick-release?

Pilot's ejection lever

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Emergency brake

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

every lever in a helicopter cockpit is the Crash Lever

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Doesn't PIC usually sit in the right seat of a helicopter?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No.

Reminds me of my flight in FIFI, when I moved towards the rear to see the APU in the rear compartment. One of the crew was already in there with a passenger and he waved me off quite vigorously, for what I assume were CG reasons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i find it difficult to believe that one person moving around could have a significant effect on the CG of a B-29 Superfortress, but maybe i suppose

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What does FIFI stand for. Google says "FIFI France" is "friends in France international" women's group and they don't seem like they'd be a large operator of helicopters

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

it stands for 'how the gently caress did it take them that loving long to realize 'confederate air force' was a TERRIBLE vibe'

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What does FIFI stand for. Google says "FIFI France" is "friends in France international" women's group and they don't seem like they'd be a large operator of helicopters

Sagebrush posted:

i find it difficult to believe that one person moving around could have a significant effect on the CG of a B-29 Superfortress, but maybe i suppose

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

every lever in a helicopter cockpit is the Crash Lever
:emptyquote:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm wondering if the passenger was properly briefed on where (not) to touch. Elsewhere suggested it looked like she misunderstood him checking the lever als an invitation to use it as a handhold, and so she absentmindedly does it. Such a misunderstanding seems much more likely to me than a passenger actually trying to pull random levers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FIFI: Josephine O'Connor (1919-2007), the wife of Victor Neils Agather

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm wondering if the passenger was properly briefed on where (not) to touch. Elsewhere suggested it looked like she misunderstood him checking the lever als an invitation to use it as a handhold, and so she absentmindedly does it. Such a misunderstanding seems much more likely to me than a passenger actually trying to pull random levers

look at this guy who’s never dealt with paying passengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HookedOnChthonics posted:

it stands for 'how the gently caress did it take them that loving long to realize 'confederate air force' was a TERRIBLE vibe'

They were actually way ahead of the curve on renaming themselves.