Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pollyanna posted:

Okay wait, I’m a little confused regarding references to other games in BotW/TotK.

There’s a bunch of locations named after characters from previous Zelda games, usually corrupted or otherwise jumbled up, and there’s a handful of scenes and pieces of topography that heavily resemble the same from older games e.g. Temple of Time, Lon Lon Ranch, the Springs, Arbiter’s Grounds, and the Level 1 tree stump.

Are we meant to take these literally? Or are they just cutesy easter eggs and easy filler for the level designers, and everyone jumped straight to the conclusion of “oh my god it was all real”? Cause the more I think about it, the less the former makes sense.

They're just allusions to previous games in the series, none of those games are meant to have actually happened in the totk world. Hell, even BotW is treated as only partially canon what with the let's-pretend-phantom-ganon-and-the-million-ancient-robots-and-shrines-never-existed act.
Zelda continuity mostly just works in a "don't think about it too hard" way. Each game is basically its own thing but the devs will happily put a million back references to other zeldas. But people have some extremely convoluted timeline BS to explain it all by saying there's actually 99 different links in different continents and time periods or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

The dead poes in the mines are either from slave workers and/or evidence zonaite is made from people's souls

Or lost souls are drawn to zoanite. Maybe it's what the afterlife is constructed of so they go to it like iron to magnets.

Edit: They directly reference the Calamity a few times.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pollyanna posted:

Okay wait, I’m a little confused regarding references to other games in BotW/TotK.

There’s a bunch of locations named after characters from previous Zelda games, usually corrupted or otherwise jumbled up, and there’s a handful of scenes and pieces of topography that heavily resemble the same from older games e.g. Temple of Time, Lon Lon Ranch, the Springs, Arbiter’s Grounds, and the Level 1 tree stump.

Are we meant to take these literally? Or are they just cutesy easter eggs and easy filler for the level designers, and everyone jumped straight to the conclusion of “oh my god it was all real”? Cause the more I think about it, the less the former makes sense.

The Sages in OoT were originally named after the villages in Zelda II (out-game) so it's a long-standing Zelda tradition to reuse cool-sounding names.

If you want to take them literally there's things like the Ranch Ruins in BotW/TotK having the same layout as OoT's Lon Lon Ranch, but on the other hand the Temple of Time is miles from Castle Town in BotW/TotK. I go for the "the designers take it half-seriously but like to throw in jokes and trolls, and don't let previous canon stand in the way of whatever they want to do".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah that’s basically the vibe I got. The references in Breath of the Wild were a lot more ambiguous because of the possibility of them actually being :airquote:a thing:airquote: in future games, but now they’re definitely seem to just be japes with no ulterior meaning. Especially since Tears of the Kingdom is more like Breath of the Wild v2.0 than a sequel.

Like actually, that’s a good point. Why was this a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild instead of same map but way later time period with a different Link and Zelda altogether? Why’d they pull a Majora’s Mask and not a Link Between Worlds?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

space uncle posted:

I loved these quests and would have done half a dozen more to build some kind of orchestra, or failing that, a ska band.

I would have gone for that. But the band wouldn't ride the Mad Max Doof wagons I built for them, so their loss.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah that’s basically the vibe I got. The references in Breath of the Wild were a lot more ambiguous because of the possibility of them actually being :airquote:a thing:airquote: in future games, but now they’re definitely seem to just be japes with no ulterior meaning. Especially since Tears of the Kingdom is more like Breath of the Wild v2.0 than a sequel.

Like actually, that’s a good point. Why was this a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild instead of same map but way later time period with a different Link and Zelda altogether? Why’d they pull a Majora’s Mask and not a Link Between Worlds?

I fully believe so Nintendo could have their cake and eat it too when it comes to new players feeling like they're not majorly missing out, while there's enough "Link! It's been less than a day six years how have you been!" going around to make the players returning from Breath of the Wild feel recognized and happy. I was definitely one of those people, I loved it when an NPC would directly say it's good to see me again :kimchi:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bawk posted:

*pins picture of Rauru next to picture of young Stalin on corkboard of "war criminals... but kinda hot?"*

Whoa there

Now I need to see what a young rauru looked like

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 6, 2023

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Hell, even BotW is treated as only partially canon what with the let's-pretend-phantom-ganon-and-the-million-ancient-robots-and-shrines-never-existed act.

This kind of bugged me more than I care to admit and I'm sure it was already discussed in the last 300 pages. The guardians I can see being dismantled so they're not littering the landscape anymore but it would've been neat to see more parts being repurposed around the kingdom.

But yeah what the hell happened to the shrines? Some would've been buried, but in spots where there should definitely be one right out in the open there's just nothing there at all. Did Hyrule's scrap metal freaks come out and dismantle every single shrine?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

This kind of bugged me more than I care to admit and I'm sure it was already discussed in the last 300 pages. The guardians I can see being dismantled so they're not littering the landscape anymore but it would've been neat to see more parts being repurposed around the kingdom.

But yeah what the hell happened to the shrines? Some would've been buried, but in spots where there should definitely be one right out in the open there's just nothing there at all. Did Hyrule's scrap metal freaks come out and dismantle every single shrine?

Link decided they tasted good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Now I need to see what a young rauru looked like

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Young Rauru robbing banks to fund the overthrow of the King's government and installation of a techno-oligarchy

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Having worked at an ISP where meth heads were constantly breaking into our remote sites and stripping them of every molecule of copper they could find, this seems plausible

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s like whatever, I think. They’re no longer relevant, so they’re no longer present.

My guess is that it’s just a distraction to have shrines and notable tech from the previous game when there’s already shrines and notable tech for the new game. We have the option of sticking closely to the old tech or abandoning it entirely, and I would rather not half-rear end either solution. I’m fine with ditching the Shiekah stuff, it makes for a weird sequel but it’s still a great video game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not too worried about it but I also don't really need or necessarily want all the games to fit into the same timeline. I do like the idea of Yiga using Zonai tech to build heavy duty trucks and tooling around Hyrule scrapping Sheikah stuff to provide material support for their eternal war on Zelda and Link. It sounds like something they'd do and they're probably the only faction competent enough to find the hidden stuff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the BotW shrines all disappeared when you touched ganondorf and he ate all your heart containers and stamina wheels; they were still dotting the landscape until then

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some elf guy sitting on top of a BOTW shrine having lunch just ate dirt

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah I’m just straight up happy to dispense with the idea of a timeline. At this point, it limits Zelda instead of enabling it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also given the terror that the guardians ran around sowing for 100 years people were probably pretty quick to dismantle that poo poo and maybe not start using the tech again.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

All this talk of the Zonai running their mines with Hylians, but no mention of the fact that the first statues you find in The Depths look more like Mogma than Hylians? And there are no Mogma at any point after Skyward Sword? Don't have to try too hard to connect the dots as to what happened there :colbert:

The only thing I can think of is that the actual Ancient Sheikah had some kind of failsafe in them that triggered when Calamity Ganon was beaten, which made them all fizzle away the same way the monks did in the shrines. If the Ancient Sheikah got exiled because people were afraid of their technology it kind of makes sense that they'd go "This is for fighting the Calamity ONLY and then it goes away" on the stuff they let them keep. It would also explain why almost everything Ancient Sheikah is gone but all of Robbie and Purah's stuff is still around.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Whoever posted the idea of BoTW trilogy/engine/game #3 being a spiritual sequel to Wind Waker - I can’t stop thinking about it.

Fully customizable pirate ship with ultra hand to repair the holes and fuse to add more cannons? Adding fans/sails/engines/wings to fly around the continent? Maybe you could auto summon a little weapon less King of Red Lions style sloop like an Elden Ring horse without faffing around.

I don’t want to use horses without a magic summon button, especially when I have a magic motorcycle building button.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Final Boss - I loved how the UI was used to express the stakes of the Demon King fight. The little UI "pranks" like the super long health bar and shattered hearts felt like something Toby Fox would do.
The health bar spilling out to the edge of the screen is an extremely good joke, and I'm kinda shocked it made it into a Serious Nintendo Tentpole Franchise Game that doesn't really goof on itself that much.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Space Jam posted:

The signs with tapered bases on slopes definitely need more than one item. I’m open to being proved wrong though.

I've done two on slopes that had an L-shaped piece of wood nearby, which was perfectly shaped so that the longer leg would form a level surface when the shorter leg was used as support on the slope

Edit: Whoops, I guess you'd still need more than one piece in those cases. But the slope ones definitely have supplemental pieces to make it easier

404notfound fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 6, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

space uncle posted:

Whoever posted the idea of BoTW trilogy/engine/game #3 being a spiritual sequel to Wind Waker - I can’t stop thinking about it.

Fully customizable pirate ship with ultra hand to repair the holes and fuse to add more cannons? Adding fans/sails/engines/wings to fly around the continent? Maybe you could auto summon a little weapon less King of Red Lions style sloop like an Elden Ring horse without faffing around.

I don’t want to use horses without a magic summon button, especially when I have a magic motorcycle building button.

I'm pretty sure that the 3rd game is going to use the same map, but flooded and we're going to get a wind waker esque game. They've already taken the base map and made it feel very new for a 2nd game, so flooding it partway and turning mountains into islands, and then having the under dark be a sort of subnautica terror zone is something I can see them doing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nah, I’m good. I don’t see a need to keep the BotW map around any longer, I’d rather see something new.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

It’s like whatever, I think. They’re no longer relevant, so they’re no longer present.

My guess is that it’s just a distraction to have shrines and notable tech from the previous game when there’s already shrines and notable tech for the new game. We have the option of sticking closely to the old tech or abandoning it entirely, and I would rather not half-rear end either solution. I’m fine with ditching the Shiekah stuff, it makes for a weird sequel but it’s still a great video game.

There's still a handful of ancient tech. Notably the lookout fort has ancient guardian 'stuff' in the lab.

But yea, I think by and large people are extremely wary of the tech bc Ganon hacked it last time and it then murdered everyone. Which, while thematic, kind of annoyed me in the last game at just how sparse the world was. I like how people are just out doing stuff in TOTK.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Took down my first Silver Lynel. 3-shot bow, mighty bananas, bomb flowers to take down the armor, then switched to gibdo bones. Did the whole fight in one bullet time, one mount, and a second bullet time to seal it.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
It's only a shroom but it's been bugging me for some reason. Is there some way in here or are the Devs trolling me by putting it there?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, sometimes the game makes you feel like an idiot. I've been trying to figure out how to make something that let's you use the mine rails without a cart and the game just showed me you can just glue any flat board and a nub to keep it on track

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CainFortea posted:

I'm pretty sure that the 3rd game is going to use the same map, but flooded and we're going to get a wind waker esque game. They've already taken the base map and made it feel very new for a 2nd game, so flooding it partway and turning mountains into islands, and then having the under dark be a sort of subnautica terror zone is something I can see them doing.

this would be pretty sweet, I can see how it would work out for each area. Rito would move further north into Hebra mountains, the Gorons would probably stay hanging out around Death Mountain as a volcanic island, the Zora would activate whatever button they have to put the Zora Kingdom into Sea Mode, and the Gerudo would move into the shelves/plateaus of the highlands that become several island chains instead. Hateno, Lookout, and Kakariko would look toward Lurelin for guidance and the Hylian people would roam the seas between the other major tribes as they settle a new home.

Korok Forest would be completely flooded, but the sacred protection would keep it vibrant and the Koroks would be alive, just even more lost and secluded than before. Link would transport into the forest and find himself underwater, fully able to breathe, walking through slow-mo effects under branches/leaves that flow with the tides instead of the breeze

Hell, just slap some more island ruins down and say it's from the sky islands falling into the sea and drifting around to form new land masses, and shorten the distance between the four main areas by sea so we can start going further beyond the already-established borders of Hyrule a bit

bawk fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 6, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bawk posted:

this would be pretty sweet, I can see how it would work out for each area. Rito would move further north into Hebra mountains, the Gorons would probably stay hanging out around Death Mountain as a volcanic island, the Zora would activate whatever button they have to put the Zora Kingdom into Sea Mode, and the Gerudo would move into the shelves/plateaus of the highlands that become several island chains instead. Hateno, Lookout, and Kakariko would look toward Lurelin for guidance and the Hylian people would roam the seas between the other major tribes as they settle a new home. Korok Forest would be completely flooded, but the sacred protection would keep it vibrant and the Koroks would be alive, just even more lost and secluded than before. Link would transport into the forest and find himself underwater, fully able to breathe, walking through slow-mo effects under branches/leaves that flow with the tides instead of the breeze

Or the mists that protect the forest also keep it in an air bubble.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really doubt they'll do a 3rd game. I think the next one will be new again(though will likely take a lot from BotW/TotK, like they took from Skyward sword).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wind waker……2!!!!!!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pollyanna posted:

wind waker……2!!!!!!

Hmm, would it be Wind Wakier or Windier Waker?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

winder wakest

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Icedude posted:

All this talk of the Zonai running their mines with Hylians, but no mention of the fact that the first statues you find in The Depths look more like Mogma than Hylians? And there are no Mogma at any point after Skyward Sword? Don't have to try too hard to connect the dots as to what happened there :colbert:

I haven't paid much attention to the statue designs, but independent of that my stupid headcanon is that much like how Zoras devolved into monsters in the Defeat timeline, so too have the Mogma but since no one's seen them in millennia everyone thinks they're a new species called Horriblin now

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
they already did wind waker 2, it was pretty mid

Linebeck had a cool theme song, though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You don't need an explanation for the poes
Age of Calamity showed us that prior to the Calamity Hyrule had population in the tens of thousands.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How’d they end up in the depths then huh smarty man :colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

How’d they end up in the depths then huh smarty man :colbert:

Souls fall down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, would it be Wind Wakier or Windier Waker?

2 Windy 2 Woke