Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Escape From Noise posted:

Nothing quite so bracing as spraying nearly boiling wort on your stomach. Doing this right after leaning your arm against a pipe carrying said wort really adds to the experience.

I was at a Perkins once and a server had a pot of scalding hot coffee dumped onto their stomach in the kitchen in some bizarre accident, from the sound they made I assumed someone had just died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was at a coffee place when an employee somehow partially degloved their hand in the panini press

Food service is terrifying

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I was at a coffee place when an employee somehow partially degloved their hand in the panini press

Holy gently caress.

poo poo like that is why I put my pant legs outside of my boots.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I was at a Perkins once and a server had a pot of scalding hot coffee dumped onto their stomach in the kitchen in some bizarre accident, from the sound they made I assumed someone had just died

I mean....if it's hot enough, you could be in the hospital dealing with serious burns for a while. you just boiled your torso. and probably you'll be left with lifelong burn scars - they don't always look like traditional scars, had a friend who had boiling water dumped on her as a kid and the form her scarring took was that her whole chest area looked like she always had a serious sunburn. Just always bright bright pink and super flushed.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 6, 2023

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

I worked in food service for a few months when I was 18. I got horrible burns, was treated like discarded garbage, got food poisoning from the restaurant I worked at, and still have permanent scars from their horribly unsafe work environment gouging out pieces of my flesh. It was the one job where I simply decided not to go anymore because I was tired of the abuse. They called me after I didn't show up for like a 6AM Sunday shift and I told them I wasn't coming in anymore. The end. No notice. That job securely cemented my hatred of working in food service.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am a big tough man who works with big hot pipes and freezing slurries of industiral goo

steel toe boots

ppe

tonnage

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I mean....if it's hot enough, you could be in the hospital dealing with serious burns for a while. you just boiled your torso. and probably you'll be left with lifelong burn scars - they don't always look like traditional scars, had a friend who had boiling water dumped on her as a kid and the form her scarring took was that her whole chest area looked like she always had a serious sunburn. Just always bright bright pink and super flushed.

Yeah I think the server's shirt and apron saved them from being annihilated, it was scary

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Thankfully I think the worst burn that's happened in our office cafe was yesterday one of the ladies was elbow-deep in the soft serve machine, my boss asked if she was training to be a cattle farmer, and she told his she was getting ready for the weekend and asked if he was interested.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Krustic posted:

I do boring science stuff. At my new job I’ve been stretching out about 6 hours of work out over a 40 hour workweek. Most of my job is setting up a machine for a run, then letting the machine do all the work for 6 hours while I look at my phone/computer at my desk, then come back collect samples and clean. I read SOP’s and have to make solutions and stuff sometimes but that’s all I do. I spend a lot of time writing and looking and music gear that I don’t buy. Anybody got any good podcast recommendations?

Thrilling Adventure Hour. A bunch of comedians and actors doing riffs on the old school radio dramas. Not a neckbeard to be found.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I dropped a screwdriver in the fry vats once and tried to grab it out.

My finger tips touched the hot oil and I pulled my hand back before any damage got done.

I did slice my fingers when a tomato got stuck in the tomato slicer though.
Three times.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

I dropped a screwdriver in the fry vats once and tried to grab it out.

My finger tips touched the hot oil and I pulled my hand back before any damage got done.

I did slice my fingers when a tomato got stuck in the tomato slicer though.
Three times.

OK, but how'd the screwdriver taste after you got it out?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Cthulu Carl posted:

OK, but how'd the screwdriver taste after you got it out?

Of carbon, like everything that went into the rarely cleaned vats.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

When I worked for Starbucks, there was a safety meeting after a store manager at another location accidentally dumped a full urn (just under a gallon) of hot water combined with cleaning chemicals down the backs of both her legs. I remember the "euuuugh" that involuntarily came from everyone in the room when they heard that story.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I got sprayed with hot WFI on accident for about a half second before I freaked out at the pain at the drug plant one time and it went all over my stomach, waist and crotch. Thankfully it had cooled by the time it got to my crotch, but the saving grace was that we were wearing flowy scrubs so nothing stuck and we were in rooms that were undergoing full airchanges in a matter of minutes, so it cooled really fast. My stomach had a nice sunburn for a couple days.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I once watched a coworker cut off the very tip of her thumb on a deli slicer because the manager demanded we cut the pressed and formed meat logs down to the very last 1/8 pound or less. To get all the leverage she needed at the end of a chunk of ham, she stuck her thumb over the guard and took over the last bit. Thankfully, she was trying to cut something thin as possible and so it wasn't a crazy amount, but you could still tell she was missing a segment and after a second it started bleeding like mad. We never found the missing section and because this would count as a workplace injury if the coworker missed time her shift was voided that day and she was told to come in the next day or be fired. She couldn't wash her hands and gloves wouldn't fit over the mass of stitches and gauze on her thumb, but she showed up anyway. Eventually, the deli manager's bullshit (there was more than just this incident) was brought to the store manager and she was very upset with all of us for a couple days before disappearing, rumor being she was transferred away. That would have been the second time she was transferred from one store to another in less than three months.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Not telling the story but my friends and I once had a Perkins employee come over and threatened to call the cops if we didn't leave.

Same place I later went to at ~10:30PM and ordered oatmeal and the server burst out laughing at me. I guess Perkins doesn't get many late night oatmeal orders.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dumb poo poo your work does: an Escape from Noise liveblog

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 6, 2023

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

tater_salad posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: an Escape from Noise liveblog

Wait this isn't the thread for stream of consciousness posting about how hot it is outside or how mean the kitchen manager is (he won't even clean the lines)??????

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'm livebloggin

Boomer coworker, our customer support expert, forwards me an email from a customer asking for some support, then comes to my office to ask me about it. Customer wants to set up a call with him tomorrow. He's asking me "Can you answer his questions? Can you take the call?" trying to pawn this off on me. I wish our support people knew about the products they support.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Idk I like hearing about beer drama from EFN and Rocket Mermaid? I worked in medical records and IT stuff for all my career and it's neat hearing about what goes into beer and the bullshit that can happen. lovely coworkers know no age or geographical location!

The job I applied for with a good word put in from my boss for the elections work I did to the hiring manager was just taken down off all the job search sites. It takes loving forever for places to get ahold of you for jobs but I'm hoping it's a good sign. I want a full time job so I can buy myself a badass KitchenAid mixer. And help with bills, too, I guess

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Dumb poo poo my work does: I get yelled at in person, or abused via email, at least once a week

Frankly, I am not sure I am a fan lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean not trying to stir up a ton of thread drama but I took like a 3 month break came back and it's still 'person still won't clean lines' and 'other person owner hired thinks i suck' like 2-3x a page.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
That just means that all the other posters are having a great time at their jobs and don't feel the pressing need to vent.
Try to be happy for all the people who have finally drunk the Kool-Aid.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Nothing quite so bracing as spraying nearly boiling wort on your stomach. Doing this right after leaning your arm against a pipe carrying said wort really adds to the experience.

Ever gotten hot caustic or a stray drop of PAA in your eye? Really invigorating, I tell ya!

(My eyes are still okay, thank gently caress)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RocketMermaid posted:

Ever gotten hot caustic or a stray drop of PAA in your eye? Really invigorating, I tell ya!

(My eyes are still okay, thank gently caress)

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I for one am shocked and appalled that someone on something awful would just post.

How dare they have the temerity to Just Post.

JUST POSTING SHOULD BE ILLEGAL, STOP POSTING.

Never stop posting

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Burns chat: a friend of mine put her whole hand in a deep fryer when she worked at a convenience store. Not sure how it happened but the burns were pretty horrific. She did eventually get use of it back but it took a while.

I have a whole slew of stupid work injuries but none that left scars. Plenty of mental scars from customers but that wasn't really the employers fault.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

We have a vat of hot wax for dipping parts in as a protective layer. At least one person went for the old reflexive catch and waxed their whole hand. I think 2nd degree burns.

Lots and lots and lots of stitches. Sharp parts, sharp tools.

One guy almost got sucked into a lathe, but it just tore a muscle in his arm and he got free.

I always tell the newbies that "Not only can't this machine tell the difference between metal and flesh, it doesn't care." Then I make them hit the estop a few times so they realize it won't hurt anything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It can tell the difference. One is a workpiece or tool, the other is lubricant.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

left_unattended posted:

Burns chat: a friend of mine put her whole hand in a deep fryer when she worked at a convenience store. Not sure how it happened but the burns were pretty horrific. She did eventually get use of it back but it took a while.

I have a whole slew of stupid work injuries but none that left scars. Plenty of mental scars from customers but that wasn't really the employers fault.

Yeah I was very lucky to escape years of kitchen work with no lasting reminders. You work around hot fryers, or steam ovens, or piping hot pans and razor sharp knives at full til for long enough and the only question is how bad you’re going to get got.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I mean not trying to stir up a ton of thread drama but I took like a 3 month break came back and it's still 'person still won't clean lines' and 'other person owner hired thinks i suck' like 2-3x a page.

Nah. That's fair. I'll cut it out.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Don't you dare. To quote,

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I for one am shocked and appalled that someone on something awful would just post.

How dare they have the temerity to Just Post.

JUST POSTING SHOULD BE ILLEGAL, STOP POSTING.

Never stop posting

I guess the dumbest poo poo my work has done of late is people trying to order after the fiscal year cutoff?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Freaquency posted:

Yeah I was very lucky to escape years of kitchen work with no lasting reminders. You work around hot fryers, or steam ovens, or piping hot pans and razor sharp knives at full til for long enough and the only question is how bad you’re going to get got.

I remembered one, although it was more dumb poo poo I did: burned my tongue when I opened the oven. I don't know why my tongue was out. And a couple weeks before leaving, after I'd already handed in my resignation and everything was official, I tripped over a box in the chiller and came within an inch of bashing my skull open on two sets of shelving. Wrenched my knee pretty good.

Dumb poo poo my current job is doing: I've been here 4 years. Most people who've been here longer than me are at the 10y+ mark, most people who've been here less time than me have been here less than a year. This is fine according to my regional manager. High turnover and mass exodus of experienced and young enough to be ambitious staff is not what we're going through at all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
When I worked in a coffee shop, it wasn't uncommon to slop hot coffee on yourself with the air pot. I got used to this happening and while it was pretty hot, it wasn't hot enough to do any damage so I stopped reacting to it. The one thing I couldn't tolerate was spilling espresso on myself which came out of the machine much hotter than regular coffee. One guy I worked with spilled it onto himself while making a to-go drink. He dropped the paper cup, which fell straight down and landed perfectly on the floor. The force of the impact somehow shot espresso several feet into the air, hitting the ceiling. So he got mildly burned and then rained on.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Today's topic of deep concern:

Our west coast warehouse can only handle unloading 6 shipping containers per day.

We have 40 containers scheduled to go to the warehouse over the next 2 weeks, 100+ sitting at the port, and another 150 on the water and landing in the next 4 weeks.

There is worry about the LA port workers striking again.

They're asking for ideas to help solve this.

My suggestion of not shipping out 250 containers of product in 5 weeks was poo poo'd. For reference, we shipped 390 containers last year. Over the course of 12 months. Peak was 50 in a month.

But I'm the weirdo for suggesting we not over burden the already over worked doco and warehouse people.

I also had a fully remote VP ask me what I could personally do to locate a cargo ship that disappeared off GPS tracking. Like I had a helicopter on standby to go air loft his precious dollar store garbage.

The solution was to ask the warehouse to take more containers per day. Heyve upped itmto 7-8.

I asked what the plan was for the holiday stuff we'd be shipping in July. I got blank stares.

Today was a success.

left_unattended posted:

I did this when I was like 16. My dumb rear end kept my hand in a cup of ice water until shift end then went to the ER. I learned about labor law not long after and boy oh boy was I insufferable to management.

We have a beer fridge at work. I'll bolster you beer char with descriptions of what they stock it with. It's mostly white claw and bud light lime.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ravus Ursus posted:

I also had a fully remote VP ask me what I could personally do to locate a cargo ship that disappeared off GPS tracking. Like I had a helicopter on standby to go air loft his precious dollar store garbage.

i woudl have probably told him that i could call up the ship rescue service or whatever

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

Either get a promotion and a commitment of resources to fix the shitshow or leave asap. There's no way working there is going to be good for you.

No doubt. They couldn't pay me enough. They don't pay anyone enough.

The acting store manager doesn't even want the job. Which is funny, since she's run off every other person working there. We're talking 90% attrition over the last month.

It's a foot in the door to entering my old business in a new location. Nothing more.

Anywho. I got hurt more with sheet pans in the kitchen than anything else. Got a nice big triangular scar on my forearm and another along the side of my neck from that.

We did have a FOH manager who decided to help us out by cooking employee meals so we could clean up other parts of the line. Dude was casually dragging the backs of his fingers through hot oil while dropping food into the fryer. Sauté and I reached him at the same time to yank his arms away.

"Do you not feel that?! WTF!"

Turns out he'd gone face first through a car window as a teen, landing on his wrists. This caused massive damage to most of the nerves in his hands. Guy's fingers were a rock hard mass of scars from years of burns, crush injuries, and abrasions. We started calling him Superman after that revelation.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gamingCaffeinator posted:

When I worked for Starbucks, there was a safety meeting after a store manager at another location accidentally dumped a full urn (just under a gallon) of hot water combined with cleaning chemicals down the backs of both her legs. I remember the "euuuugh" that involuntarily came from everyone in the room when they heard that story.

When I was in the military I watched a cook dump about 10 gallons of spaghetti and boiling water on his tennis shoes, we immediately cut them off, but he already had 3rd degree burns. That was fuckin' nasty.

I'm pretty happy with the safety culture where I'm at, had a slip and fall resulting in a nasty bruise, and I was immediately authorized thousands of dollars to add ladders and handrails and make the floors grippier in that area.

For stupid poo poo my work does, they scrambled me on a last minute trip to repair a product for our customer, product fixed itself by the time we got here, so I've been getting paid a full day's wage each day to tour museums, sit on the beach and eat delicious food from various restaurants for free, since I'm sticking around to make sure the product doesn't act up again. My hotel smells like the inside of a pair of underwear, and doesn't have an outside window, but that's my fault.

E: EFN, make your restaurant manager clean those lines :argh: I don't think we've heard about the chef recently, has he called the gently caress down?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

madeintaipei posted:

Turns out he'd gone face first through a car window as a teen, landing on his wrists. This caused massive damage to most of the nerves in his hands. Guy's fingers were a rock hard mass of scars from years of burns, crush injuries, and abrasions. We started calling him Superman after that revelation.

That's like, the opposite of superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

That's like, the opposite of superman.

Going out the window like Superman. He took it in good stride.