Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

rotinaj posted:

They don’t notice the part where bond is an abusive psychopath [...], those parts aren’t manly

I'm pretty sure some people consider that manly anyway, and not psychopathic or extreme at all. Mind you, a lot of modern heroes in movies and games are murderous psychopaths when you look at their body count, but that's kind of one of those things most people ignore (consciously or otherwise) as necessities of genre and fiction, while looking more to other parts of the depiction for something to admire, but at least some people are going to see that body count as a positive in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Maybe we shouldn’t let insecure Hollywood script writers dictate the shape of masculinity in our culture.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I love all of those bombastic, crazy action movies, though. I'm just not a (man)child who internalizes all of those masculine tropes.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1661781196588630016

Bye Stu

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

From what I heard the he got the full 18 years because he kept texting other right-wing activists to do another 6th in the name of rescuing him during court proceedings. Judges love that poo poo

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

DarklyDreaming posted:

From what I heard the he got the full 18 years because he kept texting other right-wing activists to do another 6th in the name of rescuing him during court proceedings. Judges love that poo poo

lmao, i missed this in the brief blurbs i heard.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Morroque posted:

It's been a while since I've had to do any undergraduate-level gender studies, but one of the few books I was ever able to find that talked about masculinity from a feminist perspective had this thesis about a... I don't actually know if they gave an exact term for it, but it was like an "expressionism collapse."

This reads to me as applicable to most of modern society, not just the concept of masculinity (singular or plural). I've noticed a pretty strong common trend for folks who have their poo poo together, and it's an internal drive and frame of reference. If you aren't defining "you" based on intrinsics you can take hold of, it sure as hell seems that you will be defined for you, and the poo poo-slurry of capitalism.txt-driven inputs will drive you out of your loving tree. I don't watch TV, rarely watch movies, play some but not a ton of games, read about a book a month, etc. and when I talk to other people in my cohort, I just don't understand what they...do. Even well-off people just slurp down the short-attention-span stuff with a straw. But like, I don't know how I could ingest all that Media(tm) even if it didn't make my brain scream in rebellion--I've got woodworking and 3D printing and an ever-growing home-renovation to-do list to get through.

The outputs obviously have significant differences of outcome, but I don't think there's much daylight between the headspaces your average look-at-me social media influencer, the liberal guy who posts strident How Dare You Sir replies to Ron DeSantis's idiot twitter, and the chud manlets you refer to. It's all filling the void, or trying to.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I own two 3D printers and I’m still a dumb rear end in a top hat. Maybe if I got a third…

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Stu was found guilty IN A JURY TRIAL, so 12 random people agreed there was a seditious conspiracy. drat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

tracecomplete posted:

This reads to me as applicable to most of modern society, not just the concept of masculinity (singular or plural). I've noticed a pretty strong common trend for folks who have their poo poo together, and it's an internal drive and frame of reference. If you aren't defining "you" based on intrinsics you can take hold of, it sure as hell seems that you will be defined for you, and the poo poo-slurry of capitalism.txt-driven inputs will drive you out of your loving tree. I don't watch TV, rarely watch movies, play some but not a ton of games, read about a book a month, etc. and when I talk to other people in my cohort, I just don't understand what they...do. Even well-off people just slurp down the short-attention-span stuff with a straw. But like, I don't know how I could ingest all that Media(tm) even if it didn't make my brain scream in rebellion--I've got woodworking and 3D printing and an ever-growing home-renovation to-do list to get through.

The outputs obviously have significant differences of outcome, but I don't think there's much daylight between the headspaces your average look-at-me social media influencer, the liberal guy who posts strident How Dare You Sir replies to Ron DeSantis's idiot twitter, and the chud manlets you refer to. It's all filling the void, or trying to.

Based off watching TV? I don't understand this post.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I could not make it through the backpatting jeff sharlet is giving himself on this interview today

the way he is talking about leftists deciding to arm up, only to go “pff, shoulda been arming up 150 years ago” is some dumb poo poo. I like what jordan was trying to ask, but jeff just grates on me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

rotinaj posted:

I could not make it through the backpatting jeff sharlet is giving himself on this interview today

the way he is talking about leftists deciding to arm up, only to go “pff, shoulda been arming up 150 years ago” is some dumb poo poo. I like what jordan was trying to ask, but jeff just grates on me.

I think there’s good information there so I’m muscling through but I get a very strong whiff off him of Gen Xer explaining the gnostic gospels at a drum circle.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I listened to The Undertow.

It was a decent book but it gave off “safari through Trump town” vibes. He told a lot of tales but there seemed to be no real connection to a slow civil war other than “people be crazy!”

I think I was expecting more along the lines of Robert Evans’ “It Could Happen Here” podcast but that is not what the book was.

Still Sharlet gives a lot of good information, it was just not what I expected.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Daylight come and me wan go home.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Lol alex starts off Wednesday’s show saying how good and politically wise Charles Lindbergh was. From his hotel room he’s been broadcasting from and getting redder and worse looking as the week goes on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

0konner posted:

Lol alex starts off Wednesday’s show saying how good and politically wise Charles Lindbergh was. From his hotel room he’s been broadcasting from and getting redder and worse looking as the week goes on.

I fully support the idea of him stroking out from angry blood pressure while seeing his empire collapse. That would be a fitting end to his hate filled life.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just thought I'd dive onto the live feed to see.

drat, he's looking rough

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Apparently he’s been in the Pacific Northwest he might legit be shopping for a real armored redoubt.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

0konner posted:

Apparently he’s been in the Pacific Northwest he might legit be shopping for a real armored redoubt.

My heart skipped a beat imagining Alex becoming obsessed with Bigfoot.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Dan tells me about Reese's Creamy which seem to be completely unavailable online or near me and now I'm depressed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sooooo dreamy creamy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tree Dude posted:

Dan tells me about Reese's Creamy which seem to be completely unavailable online or near me and now I'm depressed.

https://www.hersheyland.com/products/reeses-creamy-milk-chocolate-peanut-butter-cups-1-4-oz.html

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Yeah, tried there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Dude posted:

You should check gas stations and walmart and grocery stores and such, i keep seeing random endcaps and little shipper displays of those and the crunchy variety

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
It tastes almost identical to regular Reese's

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Fans of Knowledge Fight have started a podcast in the same format about Russell Brand's particular sort of dangerous bullshit. They don't quite have "it" yet and especially the first few minutes of ep1 are a bit rough but as they get into the clips things smooth out for sure. I'm willing to give them some of my time. Seems like a worthy endeavor and more interesting than, say, a Tucker podcast.

It's called On Brand.

e: https://pod.link/1690604716

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 3, 2023

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Tree Dude posted:

Fans of Knowledge Fight have started a podcast in the same format about Russell Brand's particular sort of dangerous bullshit. They don't quite have "it" yet and especially the first few minutes of ep1 are a bit rough but as they get into the clips things smooth out for sure. I'm willing to give them some of my time. Seems like a worthy endeavor and more interesting than, say, a Tucker podcast.

It's called On Brand.

Man, I'd be careful about starting a podcast examining regressives any time soon. If Jones goes off the air or kills himself, Dan's attention is going to have to go somewhere. If it were to land on what I'd been covering, I'd just about have to throw in the towel because I wouldn't feel able to compete with the Friesen machine.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

It's called On Brand.

It's a clever name. It also seems like a bad name to market your podcast with, because I found 5 "On Brand" podcasts on Spotify. Most of which were about marketing and none of which were the one I was looking for.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Trussing Russel?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shageletic posted:

Trussing Russel?

Forgot Sarah Marshall

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Off Brand

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Tree Dude posted:

It's called On Brand.

Seconding the terrible to search for name. Imma need some sorta URL to believe you didn't just make this up.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
https://pod.link/1690604716

Here be a link to the Brand pod

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Hope one of them has a voice made for radio. That's what first got me to listen to the pod.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Shageletic posted:

Hope one of them has a voice made for radio. That's what first got me to listen to the pod.

Took a quick scan through and none of them is a Shrieker, so that's a bonus.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Today's episode brought this tweet to mind.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Great episode. Sounds like Alex is about to crack. Wound tighter than a drum while he’s on vacation, hollering in a hotel room alone in Hawaii. Pretending he’s on a globalist recon mission for his imbecile listeners.

It seems like he’s getting more apocalyptic as time goes on. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife and I went to the hotel where Alex is last January and it was one of the most relaxing experiences of my life. I couldn't imagine being that riled up there.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

With the mention of On Brand, I listened to the first episode and I just could not do it. I wish them the best but I think I get enough with Alex. Brand’s entire schtick does not bring the outrageous “say what” feeling that Jones does.

But then I see that Cornel West went on to his podcast to promote running for President and called Brand the best type of progressive.

Dear lord, those two might have stumbled right on time into that podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I love the fact that Dan took the ten minutes required to prove that Alex wasn’t even on the correct side of the island. It’s a beautiful “gently caress you Alex, you can’t even do this right”.