Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I haven't followed racing in close to a decade, but I'd like to catch back up a little since I'm going to the October race in Charlotte. Who's fun to root for? All I really remember about the current drivers is that I hate Joey Logano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

deety posted:

I haven't followed racing in close to a decade, but I'd like to catch back up a little since I'm going to the October race in Charlotte. Who's fun to root for? All I really remember about the current drivers is that I hate Joey Logano.

Do you want someone who is an underdog and who pisses off most of the field to do it? Meet Ross Chastain!

How about perhaps the most talented driver of his generation but who said the gamer word on a stream during COVID and is perceived to have fallen up for his troubles (even though probably would have gone to Hendrick anyway)? It's Kyle Larson for you.

Is Star Wars more your speed? The Force is strong with Ryan Blaney.

What about the first African-American winner since the 1960s? Bubba.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Do you want a failson? Austin Cindric or Austin Dillon have you covered.

Do you want a nepotism product who is surprisingly decent (and not surprisingly a chud?) Chase Elliot.

Do you want to piss off all the goons? Kyle Busch.

How about a strong start but a weak finish? Daniel Suarez.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

If there's a Star Wars guy, that's definitely my husband's new driver. I like the idea of an underdog or someone who doesn't get the respect that they should because for me, sports are about getting drunk and yelling at the TV.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Bubba doing well pisses off the worst people on the planet, that's always a good choice.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Oh yeah, that'll do. I'm definitely gonna go for team "make the assholes mad" this summer.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

If you would like to drink and yell futilely at your television every weekend, Blaney has definitely inherited the "AWWW SHUCKS" failure merchant identity from Dale Junior. Suarez is pretty similar, just have to pick a different beer for your yelling purposes.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Way, way too many cautions.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Correct winner

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kirios posted:

Way, way too many cautions.

Eh, it's not like they were for phantom debris or other bullshit, they were all legit ones.

Unless you're referring to the number of brake rotors that blew up, in which case, yeah, a bit too much.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have a hard time understanding why cautions take so many laps. 5 laps under caution for a spinout that doesn't hit the wall feels excessively slow.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have a hard time understanding why cautions take so many laps. 5 laps under caution for a spinout that doesn't hit the wall feels excessively slow.

Because teams want the option to pit under the caution laps and it takes time for Nascar to make sure everyone is in the correct order before going green again.

The real problem is that Nascar throws the caution as soon as someone starts to spin, but they don't hit anything or anyone and get moving again and there was no need to throw the caution.

Pretty much all motorsports though have cautions that are excessively long.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

But they don't always do this. Sometimes they throw one sometimes they don't.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Plus later in races they are at least an extra lap longer because they have the lead lap cars pit first then allow lap down cars to pit on the next lap. If everyone is on the lead lap then that is one less lap under yellow. But yes agreed most places could cut pace laps down by one or two in some instances.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
pretty good finish coming up between truex and busch although truex probably takes it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, Jimmie Johnson, 24 Hours of Le Mans finisher.

Somehow, a nearly stock cup car managed to survive Le Mans with only having its gearbox go on it, which they swapped with three hours left to go in the race. And by nearly stock, it was 400 pounds lighter due to switching the brakes from steel to composite discs, some cockpit adjustments to make it more in line with a car that would normally compete there, wing mirrors, FIA spec fueling system, headlights, tail lights, extra aero bits, and paddle shifters. The drive train was not changed at all.

poo poo, they didn't even put in air jacks, per request of the ACO itself.

When the gearbox went, it was beating all the GT cars in the race, and of the cars that were still running at the end, finished 2nd last, as there wasn't enough time to recover. All three drivers kept it clean, including Jimmie, and while they lost a lot due to the gearbox change, finishing Le Mans in a cup car? Yeah, that's an achievement.

https://twitter.com/alanisnking/status/1667768410158120961
https://twitter.com/i/status/1667801422811873281

iospace fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 11, 2023

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Never forget

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bring back the cup car next year as a gt3 entry

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:hmmyes:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Homologate it as a Camaro GT3, sell to customers :sickos:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

was that an exhibition or was it actually subject to class limitations, like power to weight?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Exhibition. They went back and forth with the ACO about performance and other issues throughout the development process.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

either way, that's cool as hell. nascar has gone to lemans a number of times before but i never expected to see it in the modern era

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

OMGVBFLOL posted:

either way, that's cool as hell. nascar has gone to lemans a number of times before but i never expected to see it in the modern era

One of the coolest parts about it is NASCAR shipped all those previous cars back to France and had them in their big pavilion. Lineage was def established.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

harperdc posted:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

marshalljim posted:

Exhibition. They went back and forth with the ACO about performance and other issues throughout the development process.

the absolute best note is the ACO wanted them to keep using the floor jack for pit stops -- they didn't use the gas cans, probably too dangerous and you want to standardize the fueling with what's there for everyone else anyways, but they didn't add air jacks in to the Camaro (aka the NASCHONK per the Discord during the race) because the organizers said "no, we like your quaint old way of doing things." :sickos:

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

They were right to do so. If it was racing in a GT class or whatever, sure use the air jacks. It's an exhibition class to show off a NASCAR car running Le Mans, make the experience as NASCAR as possible.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to more Dale Jr Download, and yeah the same stuff still applies we always talk about, but can I say that it's really cool the recent run of interviews where they talk to the shop guys for DEI and such and kind of putting faces to the people that did so much hardwork.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/timviensnascar/status/1669800862254809088?s=20

lmao

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
^^^ LMAO ^^^

Ya'll ready for some great NBC (Never Broadcasts Cars) coverage for the rest of the season?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Howard The Dork posted:

^^^ LMAO ^^^

Ya'll ready for some great NBC (Never Broadcasts Cars) coverage for the rest of the season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcSPcpaTv0

I thought it stood for Not the Best Coverage. :dadjoke:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

harperdc posted:

tired: homologated nascar camaro
wired: homologated nascar camry

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo this NBC coverage is so bad.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Douchebag posted:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Yay we don't have to deal with fox and their lovely coverage.

Monkey paw curls

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Douchebag posted:

nbc sports cut to commercial 3 times in the last 15 minutes of the 6 hours of the glen, missing the race-winning pass and everything. it is unacceptably bad.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nbc sports cut to commercial 3 times in the last 15 minutes of the 6 hours of the glen, missing the race-winning pass and everything. it is unacceptably bad.

Yeah I heard about that, what a joke.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

Douchebag posted:

Last year they at least had that sick Marcus King intro and did some prerace coverage. Mournful broadcast.

But how ‘bout that MELON SMASH!!!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Douchebag posted:

Yeah I heard about that, what a joke.

It was painful. Reasonable coverage for the whole race and just loaded up the commercials at the end. Then I completely forgot the Cup race was even on.

mischief fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The cup race itself was decent. Nashville is a good track. The broadcast bullshit they pulled at the beginning with Jr and Burton at the end of pit wall was a joke. I had to adjust the drat volume everytime they went to them. When they all got in the booth, it was a typical NASCAR broadcast with mediocre to bad announcing. There are too many people in the NBC booth. I know Letarte is there because of Jr but if you got rid of him and Burton and just had the lead guy and Jr I think it would flow better.