Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It sure does! It also neutralizes stomach acid and generally fucks with your body chemistry. You should not be eating activated carbon on the reg unless a doctor told you to.

What if I don't like my current body chemistry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

wash bucket posted:

Burn your food just like our forefathers did round the fire.

Edit: Please tell me you're buying food grade charcoal and not trying to eat like Kingsford briquettes with lighter fluid in them.

Kingsford are expensive, it's cheaper to just get store brand, and that's bullshit, it's like saying tumeric is activated by pepper. You can't activate a spice!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you're not supposed to eat them why do they come in flavors.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

I have a terrible secret to impart to you: you are chemistry. Long before humanity taught sand to think, Nature taught atoms to have social anxiety.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Stick it up your rear end

This stupid joke literally made me laugh out loud.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

If you're not supposed to eat them why do they come in flavors.

I take my charcoal black, thank you. No sissy briquettes for me.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

DildenAnders posted:

Yes, much better to make sure the only body chemistry going on is your body decaying underground

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

regulargonzalez posted:

The default, stereotypical incense smell, is that patchouli or rosewood sandalwood?

I don't have an educated answer, and I haven't asked Google, but I wore a sandalwood perfume oil when I was younger and it smelled nothing like the patchouli incense the place also sold. So, based on what I remember things smelling like twenty-plus years ago, it's probably patchouli, but probably not sandalwood.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Why is the Imperial House of Japan called the Yamato dynasty when none of them are named that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotNut posted:

Why is the Imperial House of Japan called the Yamato dynasty when none of them are named that?

Yamato used to be the name of Japan, based on the prefecture now known as Nara: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_Province

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I don't have an educated answer, and I haven't asked Google, but I wore a sandalwood perfume oil when I was younger and it smelled nothing like the patchouli incense the place also sold. So, based on what I remember things smelling like twenty-plus years ago, it's probably patchouli, but probably not sandalwood.

When I think of default incense, I think of nag champa, which is sandalwood + magnolia

Nag champa is comparatively expensive so I think most college-age hippies are buying bargain basement stuff that's probably patchouli more often than not

ymmv

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it proper to say that someone whose primary language is ASL or another signed language speaks ASL/a sign language, or should the verb “to speak” be avoided because of connotative association with phonology/auditory languages? I’m mostly interested in the terminology used by the deaf community and those who use signing languages as their primary means of communication. Like, what’s polite or respectful there?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m mostly interested in the terminology used by the deaf community and those who use signing languages as their primary means of communication. Like, what’s polite or respectful there?
My personal Google bubble suggests that a fair amount of prominent people in the Deaf community have been advocating for using "speak" so that signed languages share the same status as non-signed ones. But I don't have any connection to the Deaf community and maybe that's not as common an opinion (anymore?) as Google makes it seem.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
I'm deaf and I have personally never been asked if I "speak asl", 99% of people just ask "do you sign?" Or "do you know sign language?"

I also would never in a million years get bent out of shape if someone did use the word 'speak' because the context is very clear in comparison to how that question is posed for every vocalized language ever

That being said, there is a huge cultural difference in the deaf community between capital-D deaf and lower-case deaf

The Deaf community, to put it not so kindly, tend to be extremely militant about protecting what they see as a unique culture that should resist assimilation, comparison, or subsumption by the hearing world at large

There's a ton of cases from way back in the day about Deaf couples who had a hearing child and purposefully severing their auditory nerves so the kid would be deaf too, but now that poo poo is also legit happening with people manipulating IVF to guarantee deaf children

So, that's the demographic that might get upset, but stuff changes every five minutes, there's a ton of absolute nonsense that I could share stories about but my personal suggestion is that if you want to be as respectful as possible, just watch a YouTube video on how to sign "you sign you ?" and learn that

yes, the pronouns are bookends, it's fun

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thanks! I just don’t want to be an oblivious idiot, basically.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Thanks! I just don’t want to be an oblivious idiot, basically.

Anyone who would judge you on that basis would be an idiot themselves, in my opinion

I do have to ask though, do you sign? Only because if you do sign the question and they say yes, but you don't know anything else, that's gonna be a little awkward

Even the most hard-core deaf, Gallaudet University graduate, anti-cochlear implant person around is going to have some semblance of lip-reading skill, you can just approach someone normally and talk, and I strictly believe it's on that person to signal to you in whatever way they feel most comfortable that they have no loving idea what you're saying if they don't know what you're saying

My personal experience is wildly different though, I've been deaf a long-rear end time, old-school member of the league for the hard of hearing, did a doctoral dissertation on deaf spectatorship, and I'm very cool and zen about it

There are a lot of people that are very angry internally about it, but that's on them, never you

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

postmodifier posted:

There's a ton of cases from way back in the day about Deaf couples who had a hearing child and purposefully severing their auditory nerves so the kid would be deaf too, but now that poo poo is also legit happening with people manipulating IVF to guarantee deaf children

Holy poo poo

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do you sever a kid's auditory nerves? The only way that comes to mind is by shoving a screwdriver into the ear, which seems ridiculous?

Unrelated: how on earth does normal yellow spaghetti (hard durum semolina) have more fibre than brown spaghetti (whole durum wheat)?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's permabanned insane poster ErrorInvalidUser

he sued the forums before, this gangtag was a quote from the lawsuit:

e: https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1514628613689249795?s=20

and the goldmined thread about it is here

Putting "many users state they do not like or want me posting'' in a lawsuit is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

Unrelated: how on earth does normal yellow spaghetti (hard durum semolina) have more fibre than brown spaghetti (whole durum wheat)?
Which spaghetti are you looking at? Barilla is 7g for whole grain, 3g for normal.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Qubee posted:

How do you sever a kid's auditory nerves? The only way that comes to mind is by shoving a screwdriver into the ear, which seems ridiculous?

Its really weird that you said screwdriver, because in one very specific famous case, it was exactly this, there was a documentary in like 2002? about it whose name I unfortunately cannot recall, but it's a purple cover with a picture of the girl in ghostly black and white on it, if anyone's got a better memory of it

Most of the time it was just done surgically, though, and there was tons of backlash and surveys and discussions in the medical community about the ethics of it

That practice has, to my knowledge, stopped entirely these days, now it's more about genetic selection and an absolutely vehement crusade against cochlear implants or surgery that would otherwise restore hearing function

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Qubee posted:

Does the white spaghetti have fibre added? I've found that the high-fibre white bread from the supermarket has more fibre than any other bread because of how much they add. And that includes the high-fibre wholemeal, which also has fibre added, but apparently not as much for whatever reason.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Does the white spaghetti have fibre added? I've found that the high-fibre white bread from the supermarket has more fibre than any other bread because of how much they add. And that includes the high-fibre wholemeal, which also has fibre added, but apparently not as much for whatever reason.

I'm not sure if it has fibre added. It doesn't go into that much detail. Also, beware the high fibre bread (or, more accurately, all bread in general). There's tonnes of sodium dumped into it to make it more palatable. I've noticed this and have actually stopped buying most bread because a slice will contain 10% of my RDA of sodium, which is absolutely mental.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

I'm not sure if it has fibre added. It doesn't go into that much detail. Also, beware the high fibre bread (or, more accurately, all bread in general). There's tonnes of sodium dumped into it to make it more palatable. I've noticed this and have actually stopped buying most bread because a slice will contain 10% of my RDA of sodium, which is absolutely mental.

It is egregious how much salt some bread gets incorporated, but bread is salty in nature anyway because of how salt works with gluten.

Usually salt is 2-3% of the dry weight of the bread. A standard 450g homemade or “artisanal” loaf probably has 40% hydration so about 8g of salt in the loaf. Let’s say 16 slices per loaf so .5g of salt per slice.

In a sandwich, that gives us 1g of salt, which is 400mg of sodium out of your 1500mg “adequate intake” or 2300mg “chronic disease risk reduction” level. So the healthiest bread you can probably encounter will include between 17-26% of your recommended intake of sodium.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

What's the Shakespeare play that has a scene similar to the grail scene in Indiana Jones? The protagonist and antagonist are both offered 3(?) items of some kind and the bad guy chooses the fancy one and gets hosed for it, and the main character chooses the modest one and gets rewarded.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

After the invention of clocks but before timezones, how would I know what time to set the clock in my house to?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Badger of Basra posted:

After the invention of clocks but before timezones, how would I know what time to set the clock in my house to?
set it to noon when the shadows are the shortest

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

There was usually something in the community you could set it to like a church bell or a factory whistle. Once trains were a thing and the time between towns started to matter railway time became a thing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

In Edinburgh they still fire a cannon off every day at 1pm

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

alnilam posted:

Now we're talking!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Port towns used to drop a ball, which is where the NYE tradition comes from.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
In the past 2 months or so, I have found about 7 large, oddly docile wasps inside my apartment. Am I right to assume these are probably queens, and how do I get my moron landlord to actually address this?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Why does bread go stale and dry when you leave it out, but crackers lose their crisp and get mushy?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Halifax as well, but at noon. 1pm seems weirdly specific.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Why does bread go stale and dry when you leave it out, but crackers lose their crisp and get mushy?

Entropy?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Wikipedia on staling actually has a great description of the process in bread. The reason crackers stale differently is that… well, they’re different from bread.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Halifax as well, but at noon. 1pm seems weirdly specific.

Better than firing off 12 rounds :shrug:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

Better than firing off 12 rounds :shrug:
From what I can gather, time balls in British ports usually dropped at 1pm, the Edinburgh cannon was synchronous with the time ball, and thus was fired at 1pm. The reason they dropped at 1pm instead of noon is that naval officers/astronomers etc. would be busy making their noon observations at actual noon (a sextant is used to see when the sun reaches its highest point which denotes local noon), so instead the signals were delayed by an hour.

Why the noon gun in Halifax is at noon instead I have no idea, as theoretically all those same British customs would be applicable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

postmodifier posted:

Anyone who would judge you on that basis would be an idiot themselves, in my opinion

I do have to ask though, do you sign? Only because if you do sign the question and they say yes, but you don't know anything else, that's gonna be a little awkward

Even the most hard-core deaf, Gallaudet University graduate, anti-cochlear implant person around is going to have some semblance of lip-reading skill, you can just approach someone normally and talk, and I strictly believe it's on that person to signal to you in whatever way they feel most comfortable that they have no loving idea what you're saying if they don't know what you're saying

My personal experience is wildly different though, I've been deaf a long-rear end time, old-school member of the league for the hard of hearing, did a doctoral dissertation on deaf spectatorship, and I'm very cool and zen about it

There are a lot of people that are very angry internally about it, but that's on them, never you

It’s actually for a message I’m writing about access to ASL instruction at my workplace (a university). Students with family members or close friends/roommates/people they see every day who use ASL as a primary language can get access to certain seats if a section of the course is full. I wanted to tell my students about it given some discussions in our recent sessions about language instruction availability at our institution. I really appreciate all the context you’re giving to this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

From what I can gather, time balls in British ports usually dropped at 1pm, the Edinburgh cannon was synchronous with the time ball, and thus was fired at 1pm. The reason they dropped at 1pm instead of noon is that naval officers/astronomers etc. would be busy making their noon observations at actual noon (a sextant is used to see when the sun reaches its highest point which denotes local noon), so instead the signals were delayed by an hour.

When using a sextant, the precise time of noon is clear only in retrospect.

The altitude of the Sun changes most slowly at noon, as the upward component of its velocity approaches zero and dips negative. This is simple trigonometry.

Sextant readings are made at multiple times, both early and late. From these measurements, you can interpolate to find what the time on your watch must have been at the Sun’s highest point. For example, if the watch was at five minutes on its arbitrary timescale and the Sun was seventy degrees above the horizon, and at nine minutes on that same timescale it was also seventy degrees, it must have peaked at somewhere above seventy degrees at the time of seven minutes. Realistically, you would take more measurements and they would not be perfectly symmetrical.

Now you set your master clock to that. The master clock should, using that same example, read 12:13 at the same time that the watch is at twenty minutes.

It doesn’t take a whole hour to do this, but you have to make post‐noon measurements, so the signal cannot be sent at noon.

Now, on land you don’t have to use a sextant. You can use a meridian circle or similar that is precisely aligned with your line of longitude. When the Sun crosses the meridian, aligned due north or south of you, it’s noon, no calculations necessary. That’s probably what they did in Halifax.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 9, 2023